Debunking Rushton's Life History Variables

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

EgalitarianJay
Youngling

Debunking Rushton's Life History Variables

Post by EgalitarianJay »

I recently read Race, Evolution and Behavior: A Life History Perspective by J. Philippe Rushton. I have debated racists on the internet for a long time now and when they bring up Rushton's research I'm usually able to shut them down by stating that his evolutionary theory has been debunked, most notably by Joseph Graves, an evolutionary biologist who I have been in communication with. Graves critiqued Rushton's Life History Theory in detail and pointed out the flaws in his work.

For a review of Graves' arguments watch the video and read the articles as well as his email response to Rushton:

1. What a tangled web he weaves: Race, reproductive strategies and Rushton's life history theory Anthropological Theory Vol 2(2): 131–154

2. The Misuse of Life History Theory: J.P. Rushton and the Pseudoscience of Racial Hierarchy, in J. Fish (ed.) Race and Intelligence: Separating Myth from Science . Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Graves' arguments
Joseph Graves wrote:
1. Rushton's arguments rely on r- and K- life history theory. These designations are general descriptions of investment in reproduction and somatic tissue on opposite ends of a spectrum (r- = more reproduction/less soma and K- = less reproduction/more soma.) The problem with this notion is that it has been shown to be incorrect in a series of experiments with a wide variety of organisms. No one took this theory seriously after about 1990.

2. Even if r- and K- theory were correct, I showed that Rushton applied it backwards. By the theory, Africans should be K- selected (K selection occurs in stable environments, such as the tropics) while r-selection was to be favored in fluctuating environments, such as the temperate zones. So by Rushton's reasoning, Africans should be more genetically capable of intelligence, and Europeans/Asians less.

3. Throughout his work, Rushton selectively uses examples to support his ideas. I have caught him manipulating data in unclear ways, for the purposes of making his points.

4. Rushton requires the existence of biological races, which humans do not have. The existence of geographically based genetic variation is not the same as proving races exist, or that in life history features all Africans are different from all Europeans.
Rushton's response to his supporter
J. Philippe Rushton wrote:Several years ago Joseph Graves did write a book chapter critique of my life-history explanation of race differences. I no longer recall it in detail except that he had ducked the main part, that is, the data.

As you know, most race research focuses on Black-White differences in the US in IQ, education, crime, and marital stability. My research went a lot further to cover some 60 variables such as speed of maturation, brain size (three separate indicators), rate of producing twins at birth, longevity, testosterone, sexual behavior, etc. Moreover, I looked at African descended people in the Caribbean, Canada, the UK, and sub-Saharan Africa. and found the same Black-White differences where ever they were studied. Most crucial, I looked at East Asians on all the same 60 characteristics and found they had higher IQ scores, larger brains, less sexual activity, less crime, fewer twins per 1,000 births etc.

In other words, a highly consistent three-way pattern of racial differences exists in brain size, intelligence, sexuality, personality, speed of maturation, life span, crime, and family stability in which East Asian descended people fall at one end of the spectrum, African descended people fall at the other, and European descended people fall intermediate, typically close to East Asians. East Asians are slower to mature, less fertile, less sexually active, with larger brains and higher IQ scores. They also engage in greater social organization and less crime than Africans who are at the opposite ends in each of these areas. My 1995 book, Race, Evolution, and Behavior summarized these theories and the evidence supporting them.

So, the fundamental question is, how do we explain the consistent three-way pattern? No environmental theory alone can do so. Only evolutionary theory in which genetics are crucial can account for the pattern If Dr. Graves can come up with a better theory or show the data is different than I described, he should do so. But he has not done so.
Graves' reply to my forwarding of Rushton's email
Joseph Graves wrote:Rushton's memory of my critique is quite limited. First, it began with an evaluation of the efficacy of r- and K- theory in general. Professional life-history evolutionists (of which I am, and he is not) no longer regard r- and K- theory as a useful research paradigm. This dismantling occurred due to a series of experiments that tested the predictions of r- and K-theory and showed that they did not hold up in a wide variety of species. Second, I demonstrated that Rushton misapplied r- and K- theory; indeed by MacArthur and Wilson (the originators of r- and K-theory) Africans would be K-selected and Europeans and East Asians (r-selected); just the opposite of what Rushton claimed. Third, I demonstrated that much of the data he cited to make his case was flawed either in collection or source; particularly data like "social organization" and "crime". Thus at three levels his r- and K-theory approach to human life history variation fails. So I challenge the notion his 3-way spectrum is real; secondly even if it were real, he has not presented an evolutionary theory that could explain it; and third that environmental differences could easily explain much of what he reports.

I do believe that Graves thoroughly refuted Rushton's evolutionary arguments however there is something that he left out of his critique. He didn't address several of the variables Rushton listed on his table above which Rushton claims fall along the r-K continuum. Most notably Rushton's list of maturation and reproduction variables were not mentioned in Graves video presentation, articles or my email correspondence with him. I did get him to comment on twinning rates once but he said nothing about variables such as gestation, dental development and motor development. I can understand how variables such as intercourse frequency and life span can be effected by the environment but how do you explain Black babies developing in the womb faster or Black children learning to sit, crawl, walk and put on their clothes at an earlier age?

If anyone has any comments about Rushton's research and how to address some of these questions let me know.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Re: Debunking Rushton's Life History Variables

Post by Channel72 »

Doesn't Rushton claim that most of his ideas are based on actual data - like the data you posted about cranial capacity, etc ? His ideas are the typical "blacks are stupid, whites are smart, Asians are really smart" nonsense common to racial theory. (BTW, I'm not exactly sure how this helps the White Supremacy movement too much... shouldn't they be bowing down to their Asian overlords?)

I would think the best strategy would be to attack the data itself. Just scanning through some of these criterion, I see things like "IQ test scores" and "cultural achievements". These are ridiculously subjective metrics, and there's no way to separate something like IQ test scores from economic conditions. Then I see shit like "permissive attitudes" towards sexuality... why is that even a metric for intelligence? And aggressiveness? Based on what, exactly? Incarceration rates for violent crimes? Again, economic factors.

The only remotely useful metric here might be cranial capacity and cortical neurons, but seriously - why is that even necessarily a valid metric? Neanderthals had a larger cranial capacity than H. Sapiens, and they would utterly fail Rushton's criteria in terms of things like "cultural achievements" since they were wiped out. I'll leave it to the biologists to determine whether variations in cranial capacity and cortical neuron count in H. Sapiens has any correlation with actual intelligence.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Channel72 wrote:Doesn't Rushton claim that most of his ideas are based on actual data - like the data you posted about cranial capacity, etc ? His ideas are the typical "blacks are stupid, whites are smart, Asians are really smart" nonsense common to racial theory. (BTW, I'm not exactly sure how this helps the White Supremacy movement too much... shouldn't they be bowing down to their Asian overlords?)
He accepts East Asians eg Chinese, Japanese etc are people we (Whites) can deal with. Indians on the other hand..... yeah he actually said this on a YT video some idiot who jerked off to high Chinese IQ linked to which was when I first started looking into Rushton.
I would think the best strategy would be to attack the data itself. Just scanning through some of these criterion, I see things like "IQ test scores" and "cultural achievements". These are ridiculously subjective metrics, and there's no way to separate something like IQ test scores from economic conditions. Then I see shit like "permissive attitudes" towards sexuality... why is that even a metric for intelligence? And aggressiveness? Based on what, exactly? Incarceration rates for violent crimes? Again, economic factors.
Permissive attitudes linked in to Rushton's beliefs that Asians and Whites used different reproductive strategies than Blacks. That is Blacks tend to have more kids but care for them "poorly" while Asians and Whites have less kids, but care for them better.

You see this type of differences in reproductive strategies was argued to be present in insects, so Rushton just applies it to humans. Only problem was the R-K reproductive strategies in insects are
a. known to be false after further studies
b. IIRC thought applicable because of different insect sizes, presumably (and this is just an educated guess) the bigger insects used the strategy of having less offspring (because they need more food per offspring). Nevermind that the difference in sizes between big and small insects is several times, whereas that does not occur in humans.
The only remotely useful metric here might be cranial capacity and cortical neurons, but seriously - why is that even necessarily a valid metric? Neanderthals had a larger cranial capacity than H. Sapiens, and they would utterly fail Rushton's criteria in terms of things like "cultural achievements" since they were wiped out. I'll leave it to the biologists to determine whether variations in cranial capacity and cortical neuron count in H. Sapiens has any correlation with actual intelligence.
Indeed. Those people who love talking about cranial sizes can't actually explain why Neanderthals with their bigger brains failed to match the achievements of Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

I don't think Rushton's theory is actually important to "racism". If there is significant group biological differences it would be a empirical issue that can be measured.
Channel72 wrote:His ideas are the typical "blacks are stupid, whites are smart, Asians are really smart" nonsense common to racial theory. (BTW, I'm not exactly sure how this helps the White Supremacy movement too much... shouldn't they be bowing down to their Asian overlords?)
If you go by the numbers, you'd get the "Ashkenazi Jewish master race" which some people hold. The European jews tests the highest IQ scores, and have great achievements for their population size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_ ... telligence

It is not just traditional white racists that has a position in this area.
and there's no way to separate something like IQ test scores from economic conditions. Then I see shit like "permissive attitudes" towards sexuality... why is that even a metric for intelligence? And aggressiveness? Based on what, exactly? Incarceration rates for violent crimes? Again, economic factors.
You can control for economic conditions: you get results like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achievemen ... _and_class

Also intelligence is not the only thing. There are people interested in potential differences in personality and other mental traits among groups. I actually see differences in personality among different groups as far more likely then intelligence, as intelligence is always selected for while personality have to fit the the local environment.

I think it is unreasonable to dismiss arguments with things like "there is no way to separate IQ with econ/envio." If you fully go into the "unconscious unobservative uncontrollable pervasive microaggression" theory of performance gaps, then it is a fully general theory that can explain all possible observations and thus a terrible theory. (like god did it)

The "racist" theory in some of its forms can be disproven by data (eg. no test gap given a set of environments) and generates predictions and organize a large body of observed data (test gaps, crime gaps, outcome gaps, regression to the mean, etc).
I'll leave it to the biologists to determine whether variations in cranial capacity and cortical neuron count in H. Sapiens has any correlation with actual intelligence.
I think the correlation is about 0.30 to IQ test results from past studies.
mr friendly guy wrote:Indeed. Those people who love talking about cranial sizes can't actually explain why Neanderthals with their bigger brains failed to match the achievements of Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
Its kind of funny you mention this. I have read speculations where superior intelligence performance comes from genetic admixture with neanderthals. In any case, intelligence is complicated, brain size just happen to line up here.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

SWPIGWANG wrote:I don't think Rushton's theory is actually important to "racism". If there is significant group biological differences it would be a empirical issue that can be measured.
So why is he wasting time with unmeasurable 'differences' like "impulsive behavior" or whatever?
Also intelligence is not the only thing. There are people interested in potential differences in personality and other mental traits among groups. I actually see differences in personality among different groups as far more likely then intelligence, as intelligence is always selected for while personality have to fit the the local environment.
But what physical environment could realistically select for personality traits like "impulsive" or "promiscuous" among entire cultures, and not for others?
I think it is unreasonable to dismiss arguments with things like "there is no way to separate IQ with econ/envio." If you fully go into the "unconscious unobservative uncontrollable pervasive microaggression" theory of performance gaps, then it is a fully general theory that can explain all possible observations and thus a terrible theory. (like god did it)
The catch is that the evidence actually supports the 'pervasive microaggression' theory in tests like "submit two identical resumes, one for Joe Smith and one for Tevon Freeman, and see who gets the job."

And since the level of pervasive microaggression is changing over time (it was far more blatant fifty years ago), it's very hard to abstract out just how much of any given gap is the product of racism, and how much is the effect of being socialized a certain way by the experience of microaggression.
mr friendly guy wrote:Indeed. Those people who love talking about cranial sizes can't actually explain why Neanderthals with their bigger brains failed to match the achievements of Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
Its kind of funny you mention this. I have read speculations where superior intelligence performance comes from genetic admixture with neanderthals. In any case, intelligence is complicated, brain size just happen to line up here.
If there are ways to be smarter with a smaller brain, then how can we say with any confidence that cranial capacity is meaningful, compared to other variables that might be measured instead?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

SWPIGWANG wrote:
Channel72 wrote:His ideas are the typical "blacks are stupid, whites are smart, Asians are really smart" nonsense common to racial theory. (BTW, I'm not exactly sure how this helps the White Supremacy movement too much... shouldn't they be bowing down to their Asian overlords?)
If you go by the numbers, you'd get the "Ashkenazi Jewish master race" which some people hold. The European jews tests the highest IQ scores, and have great achievements for their population size.
Lovely. Then please crown me king right now. (Oy vey... :roll:)
It is not just traditional white racists that has a position in this area.
Well white supremacists are usually virulently anti-Semitic, so they probably don't want to hear about this "Ashkenazi superiority" crap anyway.
It sounds like you're talking about non-falsifiability - I'm not saying there's no way to separate IQ from economics/environment; just that it's likely very hard in practice to isolate these sort of variables. Can you suggest a reliable methodology to accomplish this? How exactly do you propose to isolate economic/environmental factors from IQ test scores for your typical South-Bronx black student?
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

Simon_Jester wrote:But what physical environment could realistically select for personality traits like "impulsive" or "promiscuous" among entire cultures, and not for others?
Theory in this field is underdeveloped, however some speculations exists: for example:

-In cold climates where one has to store food for month to survive winters, impulsive personalities are disadvantaged. For nomadic hunter gathers that have few assets living in ecosystems that provide year round food, impulsiveness is not a drawback.

-If childhood disease and high infant mortality limits reproduction, then short reproductive cycles are advantageous. If food scarcity is the limiting factor, this stops from being an advantage.

-Different population density and necessary social organizations for survival require different skills at dealing with other people. In some environments aggression can pay off when it can secure a lot of resources and wives, in other environments not so much.
The catch is that the evidence actually supports the 'pervasive microaggression' theory in tests like "submit two identical resumes, one for Joe Smith and one for Tevon Freeman, and see who gets the job."

And since the level of pervasive microaggression is changing over time (it was far more blatant fifty years ago)
The problems is not that microaggressions doesn't exist, but that it makes you dumb, and only for some very specific group of people.

Prejudice against a outgroup is not a uncommon thing, but except of very specific groups, it does not result in persistent gap in performance across time, socioeconomic status and other things. It is not clear to me that being prejudiced against actually lowers performance at all, see how jewish gets superior performance despite antisemitism, or Chinese in Malaysia that is discriminated by xenophobic locals yet have superior performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achievemen ... ted_States

The gap is stable despite what should be significant changes in the background culture. If all that effort in the past generation has little effect, then perhaps the entire program is in error.

Then there are groups which is not exposed to "foreigners", for example people living in their historical environment. This does not seem to result in a boost.
---
If microaggressions work though self concepts, then self esteem manipulations should have strong effect on outcomes, however this is not observed. Instead we get the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2 ... ger_effect

There are studies on the theory of group identities making people dumb, in "sterotype threat", however it does not generate large effect sizes and have replication problems. It is just under powered relative to stable and powerful differences observed.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

SWPIGWANG wrote:
So why measure brain size if intelligence is more than just brain size? You cannot have it both ways. Either brain size "just happens to line up" and you have to explain why Neanderthals were outcompeted by dumber Homo sapiens sapiens or you can say brain size isn't the end all and intelligence is complicated and we can stop with this cranial size bullshit.

But I have also evidence like this which states
The researchers observed that certain chromosomes arms in humans are tellingly devoid of Neanderthal DNA sequences, perhaps due to mismatches between the two species along certain portions of their genetic materials. For example, they noticed a strong depletion of Neanderthal DNA in a region of human genomes that contains a gene for a factor thought to play an important role in human speech and language.
which suggests that some of the characteristics which make us smarter than other animals did not come from Neanderthals.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Maybe I'm being stupid (definite possibility) but can someone explain to me how I'm supposed to believe the average IQ of a black person is 65 which is getting into the range of mental retardation? I get that IQ scores have their own issues, such as cultural or socioeconomic factors that influence them, but I'm honestly supposed to believe the average black person has the reasoning of a 3rd grader?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

SWPIGWANG wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:But what physical environment could realistically select for personality traits like "impulsive" or "promiscuous" among entire cultures, and not for others?
Theory in this field is underdeveloped, however some speculations exists: for example:

-In cold climates where one has to store food for month to survive winters, impulsive personalities are disadvantaged. For nomadic hunter gathers that have few assets living in ecosystems that provide year round food, impulsiveness is not a drawback.

-If childhood disease and high infant mortality limits reproduction, then short reproductive cycles are advantageous. If food scarcity is the limiting factor, this stops from being an advantage.

-Different population density and necessary social organizations for survival require different skills at dealing with other people. In some environments aggression can pay off when it can secure a lot of resources and wives, in other environments not so much.
Those all sound like vagueness and the kind of "Just So story" crap that you get when laymen try to make up evo-psych arguments to justify their prejudices.

I could equally well argue that in hot climates where forgetting to take rest and hydration breaks can kill you, or in jungles where poisonous animals and plants are common, a reckless personality is disadvantaged.

I could point out that childhood disease and high infant mortality were the universal norm for all pre-industrial civilizations and exerted ferocious selection pressure on us from the invention of agriculture up until the 1700s. So if we follow your argument about reproductive cycles to its logical conclusion, the most 'primitive' peoples should be the ones with the long reproductive cycles and lots of care taken to protect their children.

I could point out that aggression, clannishness, and xenophobia are norms in all areas of the world where large city-states did not exist, from the frigid mountainous lands of Norse Scandinavia to the jungles of New Guinea.

The reason you say "the field is poorly developed" is that everyone who's developed their thinking in this field left, realizing that the whole "climate causes changes in racial mindset and creates biologically distinct, measurably different races of people" argument is bunk. All the good scientists abandoned that position decades ago, leaving only half-assed morons to carry it on.

And since the level of pervasive microaggression is changing over time (it was far more blatant fifty years ago)
The problems is not that microaggressions doesn't exist, but that it makes you dumb, and only for some very specific group of people.
The cumulative effect of microaggressions, combined with other factors, can make you underperform on things like your ability to sit patiently and answer test questions, making you appear dumber to an observer who is themself stupid and prejudiced.

In some minorities (e.g. Koreans in Japan) this combination of factors comes into play. In others (e.g. Koreans in the United States) it doesn't. Note that I'm talking about people from the same country. Obviously they can't be an underperforming criminal underclass in Japan because of their 'inferior' genes and an overperforming model minority in America because of their 'superior' genes at the same time.
Prejudice against a outgroup is not a uncommon thing, but except of very specific groups, it does not result in persistent gap in performance across time, socioeconomic status and other things.
In those groups, we see recurring themes that are not present in all minorities targeted for discrimination:

1) An establishment which deprives the minority of education. For example, in the US it was essentially state policy that African-American children would receive inferior educations until the 1950s. Even afterwards, many of the states in which blacks actually lived kept up de facto policies of segregation to the best of their ability, and reliance on local property taxes means schools with large numbers of black students are almost invariably poorer than schools without them.

If, as a long term, intergenerational thing, you deprive a minority of education, members of that minority will indeed become less educated, more impulsive, less likely to be employed, and more likely to resort to antisocial behaviors. Moreover, they will inherit that social deficit from their parents whether they inherited any genetic deficiency from them or not: you are far less likely to earn a college degree if none of your parents or grandparents did, even if you are of the same 'race' as other people who go to college routinely.

2) An establishment which promotes the idea of the minority as 'dumb brutes' good only for unskilled labor. Take, for instance, the 19th century Irish-Americans, who were the targets of widespread discrimination, and who portrayed as ignorant, violent, drunken Papist peasants. Lo and behold, the Irish became heavily involved with organized crime (which could serve as a protective organization to look out for the interests of Irishmen against bigoted WASPs). The main thing that ultimately got the Irish out of this trap in the US was that they did have access to education, allowing them easy opportunities to get their children into responsible, professional jobs. Today, no one in the American mainstream would assert that the Irish are somehow genetically inferior to other whites... and yet if we applied your own arguments 150 years ago, we'd wind up asseting exactly that.

3) An establishment which criminalizes and harasses members of the minority on general principles and treats them as permanent suspects of crimes. Take, for instance, the Ashkenazim. By and large, the average Ashkenazim did NOT enjoy an outstanding level of education and cultural attainment in 17th century Eastern Europe; they were villagers like anyone else. And villagers who were subject to random raids and harassment and even killing, under the legal aegis of the government: pogroms.

These pogroms naturally exerted a depressing effect on their achievement of the Ashkenazim. They made it hard to accumulate capital, to work steadily in one place for a prolonged period of time, and to ensure that one's family and friends were safe. When the Ashkenazim emigrated to countries where they were free from random violence (like the US), suddenly they had more opportunity to live up to their potential.

A minority that experiences all three of these things* is far more likely to underperform economically and academically than one that experiences none, or only one, of these things*

*(like modern African-Americans, who have historically been deprived of education AND treated by society at large as though they are brutes, AND subjected to persistent police harassment regardless of their own individual guilt)
**(like, say, German-Americans, who were the subjects of discrimination in the 19th century, but who were not methodically deprived of the opportunities to prove themselves or to build up a life for themselves free of harassment)
It is not clear to me that being prejudiced against actually lowers performance at all, see how jewish gets superior performance despite antisemitism, or Chinese in Malaysia that is discriminated by xenophobic locals yet have superior performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achievemen ... ted_States

The gap is stable despite what should be significant changes in the background culture. If all that effort in the past generation has little effect, then perhaps the entire program is in error.
The underlying problem with the program is simple: it does not seriously address the root social issue by trying to fix it. Instead, it tries to uplift the children of the disadvantaged minority while brutalizing and terrorizing their parents. It tries to reward with the right hand and bludgeon with the left, to extend welfare support for the unemployed one day and snatch it away by means of a spiteful inspector the next.

You cannot accomplish anything with that kind of attitude- if you are going to close an achievement gap it must be done with a combination of intelligence, courtesy, and worthy conduct.
Then there are groups which is not exposed to "foreigners", for example people living in their historical environment. This does not seem to result in a boost.
If the people living in their historical environment were robbed blind and exploited well within living memory, it hardly seems logical to compare their performance and say "gee, they must be deficient!"

Sometimes you remind me of the following anecdote:
A scientist* believed that a frogs’ legs were related to the ability of the frog to hear.

He put a frog on the table and smacked his hands together. The frog jumped.

He removed one of the frog’s legs. He clapped his hands and the frog jumped.

He cut off another leg and the frog still jumped with the sudden noise, but not as high. Then he cut off the third leg and the frog when startled, still tried to jump.

The amputation of the last leg resulted in no jump of the frog with noise of sudden clapping.

The scientist concluded that he was right! A frog with no legs cannot hear.

*(using the term 'scientist' loosely -SJ)
I think what this comes down to is that you look at a group that's trying to jump with only one leg, and conclude that they must not be able to hear as well, or are not as motivated to jump.
If microaggressions work though self concepts, then self esteem manipulations should have strong effect on outcomes, however this is not observed. Instead we get the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2 ... ger_effect
The microaggressions may not operate by lowering self esteem. For instance, they may operate by making people short-tempered, defensive, suspicious of those who attempt to teach them or help them.
There are studies on the theory of group identities making people dumb, in "sterotype threat", however it does not generate large effect sizes and have replication problems. It is just under powered relative to stable and powerful differences observed.
Just because a social effect is subtle in isolation does not mean it can't become profoundly significant when combined with other factors.

Social science issues are nonlinear: when A causes two units of something and B causes two units of something, it does not guarantee that combining A and B will produce exactly four units of something.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

If brain size and weight would be the key determining factor, then Elephants would be the most dominant species on the planet due to their intelligence, right next to whales and dolphins.
Maybe I'm being stupid (definite possibility) but can someone explain to me how I'm supposed to believe the average IQ of a black person is 65 which is getting into the range of mental retardation? I get that IQ scores have their own issues, such as cultural or socioeconomic factors that influence them, but I'm honestly supposed to believe the average black person has the reasoning of a 3rd grader?
Easy really: the people proclaiming this are racist and have only ever seen black people from a distance, on TV, books or through a computer screen, with the latter two preselected to show black people stupid. They believe all the past bullshit racist theories, like the idea that black people are so unevolved that they have a child-like intelligence compared to whites.

Which is why slavery was supposed to be some kind of favor to them, that they were taken care of by superior whites. That these people managed to take care of themselves and form entire tribes before the blacks were taken into slavery (actually sometimes sold by other blacks) by relying on sheer brute force. How sheer brute stregth is supposed to help you learn what plants are edible is to my knowledge not considered. This is why the "high aggressiveness" and "prone to savagery" thing is part of the racist beliefs.

And yes, if you are wondering how on earth does not everyday experience not contradict this, you are beginning to see how much self-delusion and stupidity it takes to be consciously and openly racist nowadays. They also self-reinforce the image of black people with that of what would be a poor cartoon. Have no other idea but one of a thing, have any other presentation of thing be dismissed, disallow criticism of the idea and you can believe in a very contorted something.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Can you please elaborate on the "Koreans in Japan" story? I had not heard of it before, and it seems like the ultimate trump card, a grenade to blow up any favorable discussion of racist theories at will. You might be surprised how often I hear white people give credence to these ideas after a couple glasses of wine, so this would be very useful to me.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
EgalitarianJay
Youngling

Post by EgalitarianJay »

Dr. Graves replied to my email about gestation rate differences between racial groups:
Joseph Graves wrote:Dear (EgalitarianJay), Gestation rate is a complex trait; that means it is influenced by a large number of genes. As a complex trait, any variation we measure in it is going to be influenced by both genetic and environmental sources. There is a core equation used in quantitative genetics to calculate the variation in such traits:

Vp = Vg + Ve + Vgxe + 2Cov (G,E) + Ve

Where Vp = the variation in the measured trait (gestation time); Vg = the variation caused by genes; Vgxe is the variation caused by gene x environment interaction; and Cov (G,E) is the covariance of genes and environment; and Ve is the error associated with measuring the trait.

In chapter 5 of The Emperor’s New Clothes I explain how all these terms can work together to produce misleading claims of genetic causality. In brief, you cannot begin to make claims about the genetic causes of any physical trait unless the groups in question have been raised in the same environment. Due to epigenetic effects, it is even more necessary that the groups in question be reared in the same environment for multiple generations. Gestation time is a trait that is particularly influenced by environmental and epigenetic effects. Epigenetics means chemical changes to the DNA molecule that do not involve changing the nucleotide sequence (such as methylation). These changes are profoundly influenced by environment.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Dr. Joseph L. Graves Jr.
He had this to say about Rushton's Life History Variables in general:
Joseph Graves wrote:
DISMANTLING RUSHTON’S r- AND K-THEORY

a. Testability of the theory

In Race, Evolution, and Behavior Rushton presented a modified summary of r- and K life history features (see Table 5). Rushton theorized that the survival of early human migrants from Africa, proto-Mongoloids and Caucasians, necessitated an increased cognitive ability to survive the predictable harshness of the colder climate.4 The additional cognitive ability was achieved through selection for K-related life history features that would have been genetically correlated to features allowing an increase in brain size. Genetic correlation can occur due to either pleiotropy (alleles with effects on multiple characteristics or genetic linkage, resulting from loci impacting both traits being physically linked on chromosome segments).

In Rushton’s interpretation of r- and K-theory, ‘The racial differences in intelligence, law abidingness, health, and longevity . . . seem similarly ordered by r-K theory’ (Rushton, 1995: 214). To be genetically based, therefore, Rushton’s theory requires that loci that influence these traits are physically linked or are populated by alleles that have multiple pleiotropic effects on these characters. He predicts that Orientals or Mongoloids (Asians) should be most K-selected (hence have genetically greater intelligence and the lowest fecundity rates), while Negroids (Africans) are most r-selected (thus should have the lowest intelligence and the greatest fecundity), and Caucasians (Europeans) should be intermediate in these traits. To this end, he reports brain size as the basal factor determining life history traits, including generation time, gestation time, rate of maturity and body size (Rushton, 1995: 230–1).

The central difficulty facing Rushton’s hypothesis is the absence of any evidence supporting the r- and K-continuum within our species. He conveniently skips over elementary procedural points in formulating his argument. For example, he does not ever establish the specific relationship between phenotypic variables he measures and their relationship to differential fitness in the human species. Establishing this relationship is crucial to testing adaptive hypotheses (such as r- and K-selection). For if these traits are unrelated to fitness they will not be acted on by any specific model of natural selection.

Source: What a tangled web he weaves: Race, reproductive strategies and Rushton's life history theory Anthropological Theory 2002; 2; 131
So from what I gather environmental differences and epigenetics can explain gestation time. This is a pattern that plagues Rushton's research. He selectively cited data to support his evolutionary theory without having a proper understanding of the interaction between genes and environment and how they effect phenotypic traits. I'm grateful to have a real biologist on hand to explain these things.
Channel72 wrote:The only remotely useful metric here might be cranial capacity and cortical neurons, but seriously - why is that even necessarily a valid metric? Neanderthals had a larger cranial capacity than H. Sapiens, and they would utterly fail Rushton's criteria in terms of things like "cultural achievements" since they were wiped out. I'll leave it to the biologists to determine whether variations in cranial capacity and cortical neuron count in H. Sapiens has any correlation with actual intelligence.
You're right. Graves makes the same point about Neanderthal:
Joseph Graves wrote: In addition, what little we know about the evolution of ‘intelligence’ in hominids seems to argue directly against his thesis. It is possible that around 300,000 years ago Homo erectus, Homo sapiens, Homo heidelbergensis, and Homo neanderthalensis were extant in different regions of the world. It is not clear whether these were true species, or geographic races of the same species (in ways that we do not have ‘races’ in modern Homo sapiens). The evidence seems to suggest that in Europe Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis coexisted between 40,000 to 30,000 years ago. Most evidence suggests that Homo sapiens originated in Africa and when it invaded Europe it brought with it culture, art, wind instruments, record keeping, symbolic and ritualistic beliefs, and a constant pattern of organization and technical improvement.

The contact between Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis seemed to always lead to the short-term replacement of the latter by the technologically advanced former (Tattersall, 2000). Why does this observation contradict Rushton’s thesis? Simply, because it was the Neanderthals who should have been living under Rushton’s K-selection regime and the culture of the Homo sapiens resulted from the r-selected tropical environment. We know, for example, that the Neanderthals had larger cranial capacities than Homo sapiens (Neanderthal cranial capacities: 1524–1640 cc for males, and 1425–1270 cc for females, as opposed to around 1325–1166 for early Homo sapiens, in Poirer and McKee, 1999).

We should compare these differences with the within-species values reported by Rushton. In his Chart 1 of the abridged version (1999: 19) he shows 1267, 1347, and 1364 cc for Blacks, Whites, and Asians respectively. This amounts to a 7.2 per cent difference between Blacks and Asians, while if we utilize the midpoint for Neanderthals and early Homo sapiens we would calculate a 15 per cent advantage for Neanderthals! These observations fly in the face of two of Rushton’s predictions: first that harsh winter climates should select for greater intelligence, and secondly that cranial volume should be correlated with intelligence. All available evidence suggests that the Neanderthals were less ‘intelligent’ than modern Homo sapiens that had smaller crania and evolved in the tropics.

Source: Graves, J.L. (2002) What a tangled web he weaves: Race, reproductive strategies, and Rushton’s life history theory. Anthropological Theory, Sage Publishers, vol. 2(2): 131-154.
Now there's some debate in the scientific community about how intelligent Neanderthal actually were. Some people think they were as smart as modern humans. If Rushton's cranial capacity/intelligence claims were true then Neanderthal would have been super geniuses! The archeological record definitely doesn't support this idea. Most likely Neanderthal weren't as intelligent as Sapiens and were wiped out because Sapiens had better survival techniques and communication.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:Can you please elaborate on the "Koreans in Japan" story? I had not heard of it before, and it seems like the ultimate trump card, a grenade to blow up any favorable discussion of racist theories at will. You might be surprised how often I hear white people give credence to these ideas after a couple glasses of wine, so this would be very useful to me.
I confess that I am not 100% up on the situation, but I know the gist of it.

Basically, Japan conquered Korea in 1910 and subjected them to brutal imperialism and racism. Koreans were seen as inferior to Japanese.

A considerable number of Koreans either moved to the Japanese home islands as workers (in addition to, for example, Korean women being taken as sex slaves in military brothels). Some of their descendants are still there.

Japan being a pretty racist place (against non-Japanese), and the prejudice against Koreans still being in place, the Koreans experience a variety of discriminatory effects, but I am not in a good position to reel off statistics.
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

Simon_Jester wrote:Those all sound like vagueness and the kind of "Just So story" crap that you get when laymen try to make up evo-psych arguments to justify their prejudices.

I could point out that childhood disease and high infant mortality were the universal norm for all pre-industrial civilizations and exerted ferocious selection pressure on us from the invention of agriculture up until the 1700s. So if we follow your argument about reproductive cycles to its logical conclusion, the most 'primitive' peoples should be the ones with the long reproductive cycles and lots of care taken to protect their children.
I agree that a lot of evopsych is just so stories, however to claim that there is no difference in selection pressures is absurd.

Lets take disease: The disease burden in different environments is different. Areas that have dense wildlife can act as a reservoir for new diseases and a transmission vector. There are diseases serious enough the specific, extremely dangerous genetic defenses have evolved to counter it, like malaria resistance. Crowded living conditions give raise to crowd diseases that does not occur to small populations. The environment also selects the pathogens themselves. When the old world made contact with America, it is native Americans that died out and not Europeans that died from new American diseases, and this is not simply due to randomness.

Looking at the selection of sickle-cell anaemia and favism genes, it is something that can kill when individuals carries two copies. It would be plausible to have genes that adapt to similarly serious conditions and have side effects on mental function: it is far less harmful then simply killing you.

We know that many personality traits is 50% heritable. There are many predictions possible from evopsych and historical environment.

The fact that we are talking about Rushton's comically crude results suggests to me that this line of research has not been pursued in depth. It is ABSURD to take a continent with every type of natural environment (mountains, forests, deserts, grassland, etc) with some of the greatest genetic diversity known to man and try to sum it up and get a good result out of it. This sort of thing needs to track very specific environments with inbred populations, ideally undisturbed with too much selection pressure from modern events.

A good line of research would by the Pygmies, with have diverged genetically and live in specific environments. I have not yet seen good research showing or refuting personality differences of this group. From the "refuting social constructionism" point of view this can limited due to widespread discrimination against the pygmies, however it should still be interesting.

The lack of strong negative results of personality - historical environment research suggests to me that all the smart people left the field because "nothing good can come out of it" instead of data. I don't think proving "racists" theories is career advancing or even positive socially. I can't imagine any plan of this sort getting funding, that is for sure.
I could point out that aggression, clannishness, and xenophobia are norms in all areas of the world where large city-states did not exist, from the frigid mountainous lands of Norse Scandinavia to the jungles of New Guinea.
The reproductive advantage of successful murderers in the jungles of new guinea (from "the world until yesterday") in capturing resources and women provides a selection pressure towards aggressive traits. The same traits might not have worked as well in civilized areas with central authority imposing a monopoly on violence and harshly punishing those that fail to conform. It is suggested that places with long history of civilization have "self domesticated" and thus shifted personality traits. We know from domestication that given changed selection pressures, traits can change significantly in this time frame. (this from "10000 year explosion")
If, as a long term, intergenerational thing, you deprive a minority of education, members of that minority will indeed become less educated, more impulsive, less likely to be employed, and more likely to resort to antisocial behaviors. Moreover, they will inherit that social deficit from their parents whether they inherited any genetic deficiency from them or not: you are far less likely to earn a college degree if none of your parents or grandparents did, even if you are of the same 'race' as other people who go to college routinely.
This is one possible explanation of the gap. The other possible explanation is that parents/grandparents didn't go to college due to mental traits that is manifestation of genes which is inherited by the children. Note this is not racial genetics, this is personal genetics: personal data is far more predictive then race.

Intergenerational culture transmission did sound plausible to me, however genetics vastly dominates shared environment in twin studies that puts this in doubt. Note this is not about race, an adapted white kid born to highly educated parents are more likely to become highly educated, relative to an adapted white kid with less educated parents. A significant genetic factor is identified here.

Then we get genetic data
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23722424
http://www.nature.com/news/smart-genes- ... ve-1.15858

Which is not strong given the data size required to get results, however is not "nothing at all" as some would claim. Something is there, it is just unknown how big it would eventually be.
A minority that experiences all three of these things* is far more likely to underperform economically and academically than one that experiences none, or only one, of these things* *(like modern African-Americans, who have historically been deprived of education AND treated by society at large as though they are brutes, AND subjected to persistent police harassment regardless of their own individual guilt)
If there is major structure hurdles blocking a group from success, then it is reasonable that they are not successful.

However things like IQ tests, which is designed by psychologies to focus on biological performance as opposed to complicated things like social success, should be minimally effected by such things.

The other problems is the lack of success elsewhere in different points in time and space. The failure of North Korea, communist china, or early Italians immigrants into america, or modern Arabs were not that particularly strong evidence of genetic causes. This is because counterexamples from said lineage exists. Successful, learned empires in the past, successful immigrant minorities in foreign countries, successful children assimilating, successful countries across a boarder sharing the same population, and so and so on. There is usually good examples against genetic explanations here.

However if we observe a population where no competitive success appears to exist anywhere on this planet and its recorded history, one can't help but get suspicious. Like I said in a past thread, if a powerful success is observed, it would be a powerful counterexample that would shut all this down, however it hasn't happened. Incapacity is a elegant explanation for this observation, then claim that all people oppress at all time in all of history in all places with exactly same result everywhere.
The microaggressions may not operate by lowering self esteem. For instance, they may operate by making people short-tempered, defensive, suspicious of those who attempt to teach them or help them.

Social science issues are nonlinear: when A causes two units of something and B causes two units of something, it does not guarantee that combining A and B will produce exactly four units of something.
It is not a very elegant, Occam razor's theory. It may still be true, but IMO its unlikely because the select group do not fail to become highly competitive in just one environment.

When you have a complicated theory with many moving parts, you need evidence to support each part. The microaggression into bad personality into bad test results with many nonlinearities will need many studies demonstrating each part which haven't materialized in sufficient strength.
TheFeniX wrote:Maybe I'm being stupid (definite possibility) but can someone explain to me how I'm supposed to believe the average IQ of a black person is 65 which is getting into the range of mental retardation?
I don't think research has pointed to values like this for well nourished populations. Most point to average IQ of 90-ish, which isn't "that dumb", just not enough to reach parity.
Zixinus wrote:Easy really: the people proclaiming this are racist and have only ever seen black people from a distance, on TV, books or through a computer screen, with the latter two preselected to show black people stupid.

... you are beginning to see how much self-delusion and stupidity it takes to be consciously and openly racist nowadays.
The most racists people live in the south where there is more black people. Everyone is anti-racists in gentrified areas whose cost of living excludes blacks and everyone know of the group from 2nd hand information.

What mainstream media is dumb enough to be openly racist anyways?
mr friendly guy wrote:So why measure brain size if intelligence is more than just brain size? You cannot have it both ways. Either brain size "just happens to line up" and you have to explain why Neanderthals were outcompeted by dumber Homo sapiens sapiens or you can say brain size isn't the end all and intelligence is complicated and we can stop with this cranial size bullshit.

which suggests that some of the characteristics which make us smarter than other animals did not come from Neanderthals.
EgalitarianJay wrote:If Rushton's cranial capacity/intelligence claims were true then Neanderthal would have been super geniuses! The archeological record definitely doesn't support this idea. Most likely Neanderthal weren't as intelligent as Sapiens and were wiped out because Sapiens had better survival techniques and communication.
Zixinus wrote:If brain size and weight would be the key determining factor, then Elephants would be the most dominant species on the planet due to their intelligence, right next to whales and dolphins.
This is a strawman. All brain size data is suggestive as it is consistent with other parts of the data he collected.

A big brain might not be smart, however am small one have upper limits unless human data processing is aphysical, not that physical limits necessarily is important here.

That said, if homo sapian sapians is actually genetically similar, we shouldn't except major differences in design architecture or average tissue-eneregy/mass efficiency. A bigger brain is expensive energy wise, and if it is not defective it'd better do something or it'd be selected against. There is a correlation between brain size and IQ test results.

If you see someone with twice the muscle mass you'd expect a stronger man, or is your first instinct is that "zomg obviously his muscles are half as efficient and he is weak." It may still be true, but one wouldn't normally assign it high probability.

Comparing it to whale brains is dumb. Neanderthals: less dumb but still weak as that lineage have diverged significantly.
------
A smarter objection would be environmental factors can effect development that lead to smaller brains and low IQ results. We actually know malnutrition can do this, though other stuff is far more iffy.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

SWPIGWANG wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Those all sound like vagueness and the kind of "Just So story" crap that you get when laymen try to make up evo-psych arguments to justify their prejudices.

I agree that a lot of evopsych is just so stories, however to claim that there is no difference in selection pressures is absurd.

Lets take disease: The disease burden in different environments is different... Looking at the selection of sickle-cell anaemia and favism genes, it is something that can kill when individuals carries two copies. It would be plausible to have genes that adapt to similarly serious conditions and have side effects on mental function: it is far less harmful then simply killing you.

We know that many personality traits is 50% heritable. There are many predictions possible from evopsych and historical environment.
The catch is that most of those predictions can easily lead to mutually exclusive results, which is a hallmark of a field which is in a pre-scientific state. If evolutionary psychology were a science, it would be capable of reliably distinguishing truth from falsehood, and therefore would not lead to two mutually exclusive results at the same time.

(Seriously, if you haven't read Kuhn's On the Structure of Scientific Revolutions, do)
The fact that we are talking about Rushton's comically crude results suggests to me that this line of research has not been pursued in depth. It is ABSURD to take a continent with every type of natural environment (mountains, forests, deserts, grassland, etc) with some of the greatest genetic diversity known to man and try to sum it up and get a good result out of it. This sort of thing needs to track very specific environments with inbred populations, ideally undisturbed with too much selection pressure from modern events.
Well, the catch is that few such populations exist. You CAN find genetically isolated groups in very unusual environments, but they're rare. Aside from that, people in different cultural and physical environments intermix. Farmers interbreed with herdsmen and vice versa. Romans who lived in a big city on the Mediterranean coast bought slaves, and interbred with slaves, from everywhere from Persia to Northern Europe to Egypt.

And it only takes a few generations of interbreeding to totally erase any 'bioregional' adaptations that a given group has evolved painstakingly over a hundred generations of selection pressure.
A good line of research would by the Pygmies, with have diverged genetically and live in specific environments. I have not yet seen good research showing or refuting personality differences of this group. From the "refuting social constructionism" point of view this can limited due to widespread discrimination against the pygmies, however it should still be interesting.

The lack of strong negative results of personality - historical environment research suggests to me that all the smart people left the field because "nothing good can come out of it" instead of data. I don't think proving "racists" theories is career advancing or even positive socially. I can't imagine any plan of this sort getting funding, that is for sure.
If the positive results you're looking for were anything but stupidly hard to find on a scientific basis, they'd have revealed themselves long ago when this sort of theory was in vogue.

Perhaps you think it a coincidence that as we have learned more about primitive societies, life under primitive conditions, human psychology, genetics, and physiology, and the overall nature by which a species differentiates into sub-populations... we have methodically moved away from believing in sharp genetic delineations between "races" of human that are fundamentally different.

Me, I doubt it.

It's sort of like why you no longer see good research being done in global cooling. No one seriously thinks that's going to be a problem, because the science has been shown repeatedly to not support such an idea. The only people still working on it are the crackpots and cranks, and they aren't mentally competent enough to do good work. If they were, they wouldn't be doing this.

So I would argue that the reason that racial evolutionary psych's greatest champion is an idiot like Rushton is that anyone less idiotic, and equally familiar with the science, would have abandoned the field as unproductive long ago. Political correctness alone is neither necessary nor sufficient to explain the process.
The reproductive advantage of successful murderers in the jungles of new guinea (from "the world until yesterday") in capturing resources and women provides a selection pressure towards aggressive traits. The same traits might not have worked as well in civilized areas with central authority imposing a monopoly on violence and harshly punishing those that fail to conform. It is suggested that places with long history of civilization have "self domesticated" and thus shifted personality traits. We know from domestication that given changed selection pressures, traits can change significantly in this time frame. (this from "10000 year explosion")
How long does this transition take for a human population? There are plenty of places where almost everyone lived in small feuding villages until a thousand years ago, or two thousand.

If the transition takes a long time, in those places it shouldn't have happened yet.

If it takes a short time, then we can't draw useful conclusions from it, because it's a "here today, gone tomorrow" phenomenon. Especially when talking about a transplanted group like African-Americans who have extensively interbred with other populations.
This [social disadvantage leading to lack of education] is one possible explanation of the gap. The other possible explanation is that parents/grandparents didn't go to college due to mental traits that is manifestation of genes which is inherited by the children. Note this is not racial genetics, this is personal genetics: personal data is far more predictive then race.
When your grandparents could blatantly not afford to go to college because nobody in your entire ethnic group, with a handful of exceptions, did... which hypothesis is more likely?

Plus, it's hard to distinguish the hypotheses, because it's hard to tell a genetically intelligent person with a bad education from a genetically stupid person with a good education. Many of the concepts we associate with advanced intelligence (formal logic, mathematical ability, precise delineation of one's thoughts, critical thinking) are things that have to be cultivated through education, and which do not develop if they are not thus cultivated.

How do you distinguish a 'naturally strong' person who never exercises from a 'naturally weak' person who has been exercising fanatically from infancy? Same problem. Sure, there are genes that correlate with physical strength and stamina, but the effect of exercise on the development of your phenotype can swamp genetic differences very easily.

If an ethnic group (say, Poles) were culturally forbidden to exercise, while another group (say, Italians) were practically required to exercise if humanly possible, then you'd end up with physically weak Poles and strong Italians. The Poles would inevitably be unable to participate effectively in athletic games (due to the prohibitions) and would be gravely disadvantaged in heavy manual labor. Meanwhile, the Italians would produce all the highly successful athletes and strong workers.

In the next generation, very few Poles would encourage their children to play sports, while many Italians would do so, because people who like sports tend to promote sports and teach them to their children. Keep it up for several generations and, assuming minimal interbreeding between Poles and Italians, there will be a totally unfounded stereotype that Poles are "genetically" weaker than Italians. Which is superficially supported by all those weedy/pudgy Poles and muscled Italians... but that doesn't tell us anything about the underlying DNA.

And then someone like you comes along and says "well, these are reproductively isolated populations, maybe there was some selection pressure that killed off the Poles with genes for strong physiques, while killing off the Italians with genes for weak physiques."

Which isn't true- it's reversing the logic and assuming that an observed effect must have a particular type of cause.
Which is not strong given the data size required to get results, however is not "nothing at all" as some would claim. Something is there, it is just unknown how big it would eventually be.
Well, there's not "nothing at all" correlation between genetics and athletic ability either. That doesn't mean that we can easily identify racial deficiencies in athletic ability between human populations, and separate it out from other causes like exercise, diet, and proportion of the population that leads an active lifestyle.
A minority that experiences all three of these things* is far more likely to underperform economically and academically than one that experiences none, or only one, of these things* *(like modern African-Americans, who have historically been deprived of education AND treated by society at large as though they are brutes, AND subjected to persistent police harassment regardless of their own individual guilt)
If there is major structure hurdles blocking a group from success, then it is reasonable that they are not successful.

However things like IQ tests, which is designed by psychologies to focus on biological performance as opposed to complicated things like social success, should be minimally effected by such things.
Except that real IQ tests are in fact not so reliable in this way, because it's hard to distinguish between what we are naturally good at as human beings and what we are good at by training. Saying that one human is naturally smarter than another because they can think more effectively is like saying one human is naturally more fit than another because they can run faster and farther. Sure, there IS a genetic effect on how well you can run... but there's a huge element which depends on your physical training and how you experience and feel about running. Which is socially constructed.

All humans are descended from thousands of generations of reasonably successful runners, after all; aside from individuals with specific genetic defects everyone should have genes for running, and running pretty well. But not all humans can run anything like equally well in physical fact.

Why should thinking be any different?
However if we observe a population where no competitive success appears to exist anywhere on this planet and its recorded history, one can't help but get suspicious. Like I said in a past thread, if a powerful success is observed, it would be a powerful counterexample that would shut all this down, however it hasn't happened. Incapacity is a elegant explanation for this observation, then claim that all people oppress at all time in all of history in all places with exactly same result everywhere.
Except that there are no such groups. There is nothing meaningful to distinguish the 'success' of Africans (or anyone else) in 1000 AD from the 'success' of people in other parts of the world. If you look only at the present time, some places are successful and others are not- but which groups succeeded and which groups failed has to do with history and not genetics.

If one population swoops down upon another and carries off much of the population as slaves, it will cause ruin for both the country that suffered the enslavements and the diaspora of enslaved people. This does not mean that the victim-population was somehow genetically inferior just because neither of those two (now separated) populations succeeds at a later date.

It is not a very elegant, Occam razor's theory. It may still be true, but IMO its unlikely because the select group do not fail to become highly competitive in just one environment.

When you have a complicated theory with many moving parts, you need evidence to support each part. The microaggression into bad personality into bad test results with many nonlinearities will need many studies demonstrating each part which haven't materialized in sufficient strength.
The genetic incapacity argument will need many studies demonstrating ONE part, which haven't materialized in sufficient strength.

What does Occam's Razor say about a hypothesis that is simple but unsupported by evidence other than "this is the simplest hypothesis?"
TheFeniX wrote:Maybe I'm being stupid (definite possibility) but can someone explain to me how I'm supposed to believe the average IQ of a black person is 65 which is getting into the range of mental retardation?
I don't think research has pointed to values like this for well nourished populations. Most point to average IQ of 90-ish, which isn't "that dumb", just not enough to reach parity.
An IQ gap of ten points isn't enough to explain the achievement gap on standardized tests, because students of identical background who are ten points apart will routinely score closer together than that.

Moreover, IQ is itself a standardized test, so no goddamn wonder IQ is correlated with success on standardized tests. It's like saying that there's an achievement gap on bench-presses that indicates a genetic incapacity in the tricep muscles of a particular ethnic group. There are a lot of other explanations that are just as plausible.
Zixinus wrote:Easy really: the people proclaiming this are racist and have only ever seen black people from a distance, on TV, books or through a computer screen, with the latter two preselected to show black people stupid.

... you are beginning to see how much self-delusion and stupidity it takes to be consciously and openly racist nowadays.
The most racists people live in the south where there is more black people. Everyone is anti-racists in gentrified areas whose cost of living excludes blacks and everyone know of the group from 2nd hand information.
The most racist people deliberately eschew contact with blacks and perpetuate unbelievably ignorant ideas about them that are objectively false. Just because they live in the same state as black people doesn't mean they know anything true about them.
This is a strawman. All brain size data is suggestive as it is consistent with other parts of the data he collected.

A big brain might not be smart, however am small one have upper limits unless human data processing is aphysical, not that physical limits necessarily is important here.

That said, if homo sapian sapians is actually genetically similar, we shouldn't except major differences in design architecture or average tissue-eneregy/mass efficiency. A bigger brain is expensive energy wise, and if it is not defective it'd better do something or it'd be selected against. There is a correlation between brain size and IQ test results.

If you see someone with twice the muscle mass you'd expect a stronger man, or is your first instinct is that "zomg obviously his muscles are half as efficient and he is weak." It may still be true, but one wouldn't normally assign it high probability.
If you see someone with twice the physical total mass of an average man, your conclusion is normally "he is fat" and you can't really say whether he's twice as strong as another man.

The problem is that the correlation between big brains and high intelligence isn't as strong as we'd expect if it were as simple as "twice the engine equals twice the horsepower." It's more like "twice the brain mass equals 10% more brainpower" or something, while there are vast differences in brainpower between people with otherwise identical brains. So clearly if this is all genetic, there are other genetic factors in play that can render a difference in brain size irrelevant. In which case measuring brain size as a proxy for intelligence won't work, unless you measure those other hidden factors.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Except that the "most racist" people segregate themselves away from black people. I live in a city that has a significant gypsy population yet I am not necessarily familiar with gypsies at all. It is not because I can't find them but because I don't go where they are. Most people here do the same.

Societies segregate themselves, especially the rich from the poor. Aristocrats had houses built so that they had separate staircases for them and a different one for servants (of whatever race or even freedom). This also extended to tunnels, facilities like toilets, rooms, etc.

In it's time this was the way the people who made up a lot of racial theory lived. They certainly were not the people that had to do the lashings and keep the slaves in line. Their men did that for them. Their black servants were certainly not in the position to contradict anything their masters thought up.

Who do you even call anti-racists? What are anti-racist regions of the world? To my knowledge the most anti-racist people are often blacks themselves and general human-right activists.
What mainstream media is dumb enough to be openly racist anyways?
I do not follow mainstream media much, so I cannot answer that question. That said, just because open racism is no longer acceptable covert or veiled racism can be quite common.
My point isn't against so much about whatever data he collected (and quite frankly, I would consider his data suspect after I read the OP), but in general the idea of "bigger brain" = "more intelligent". If that were the case, elephants would be the more intelligence race than us. Yet they are not. As Simon points out, Neanderthals had bigger brain capacity than us and were stronger than us, yet we dominated over them.
Except brain is not muscle. Brains do not work the way muscles do. There are relatively smart animals with small bodies (several brids, such as crows) and dumb animals that are relatively stupid (many ungulates).
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Clearly, larger size always equals more intelligence!. For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC vs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone
</sarcasm>

Seriously though, there's obviously a very broad correlation between brain mass and intelligence/reasoning-ability in mammals. It's just that the difference in brain size between modern humans (and even between modern humans and Neanderthals) is probably not significant enough to be of any difference in light of other factors.

As silly as it sounds, a lot of post-mortem research was actually done on Albert Einstein's brain, and while there were significant differences in some of his brain structures compared with average humans, his brain size was normal.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

The whole discussion of cranial capacity might even be a red herring. Given the impossibility of scientifically defining a "black" race and the absurdity of Rushton's assertion of said race's average IQ being more than two full standard deviations below average, I would trust his brain measurements about as far as I can throw a Southern plantation. Are there any respectable sources that corroborate this supposed difference in brain size?
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Yeah, I agree. It seems really counter-intuitive to imagine that black people, on average, have lower cranial capacities (and average IQ scores of 65!). Something tells me Rushton fudged this data pretty badly.
EgalitarianJay
Youngling

Post by EgalitarianJay »

Dr. Graves on race, brain size and intelligence:
Joseph Graves wrote:EgalitarianJay: Do you have any studies that directly address Rushton's claims of brain size differences between races?

Graves: The evolutionary arguments are more important than any physical measurements because they address why and how any physical difference could exist. If Rushton cannot explain the mechanism that is responsible for any reputed difference, then his argument collapses like a house of cards. This is why his 1994 book was entitled Race, Evolution and Behavior: A Life History Perspective. Its goal was to explain using evolutionary theory (the only scientific means to explain human variation) why racial differences in intelligence exist. As I point out in my work, evolutionary science does not support this conclusion.

As for supposed physical differences in head (or brain size). First, there has been no systematic measurement of cranial sizes for sufficient numbers of populations in humans. This is important because Africa and Asia are huge continents with many populations/ethnic groups. No physical measurement taken from 1 or a few populations could be expected to represent all Africans or Asians.

Second, the relationship between "intelligence" and brain size/body ratio holds broadly over species level, but not within a species. So we can infer that Velociraptor was more intelligent than T. Rex, but we cannot infer that any specific raptor was more intelligent than another due to differences in that ratio. In the same way we cannot infer that a larger brain gives more cognitive power in humans. Frederich Gauss, one of the greatest mathematicians of all time, had an incredibly small head and brain. Autopsy of his brain did reveal that his cerebral cortex had an incredibly high number of folds. But even if we could determine that there was a difference in cerebral cortex folding between Africans and Asians, we could not determine that that difference was due to genetic differences.

The brain's development (and hence that of the intellect) is profoundly influenced by environmental and developmental factors. Genetically identical groups of rats deprived of environmental stimuli were measured as less intelligent and had less cerebral folding than rats given environmental stimuli. In the modern world, there is no equivalence of social and physical environments between Africans/African Americans and Europeans/Euro- and Asian Americans. Therefore any intelligence difference one might measure (say in mean SAT scores, AFQT Tests etc.) cannot be shown to have anything to do with genetic differences between groups. There are far easier explanations for these differences, including social discrimination (stereotype threat), toxic environment, and malnutrition (which are all differentially visited upon African Americans). The heritability of intelligence (how much the trait is determined by genes or environment) has been estimated at around 0.50. This means that intelligence is about 50% genes and 50% environment. With this much environmental contribution, only experimental or observational designs that can equalize environment can give you any reasonable explanations. For the most part, this is impossible in racially stratified societies.

I made all these points to Rushton directly in our 1997 debate at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. To say the least he really had no cogent response.

Dr. Joseph L. Graves, Jr.
Associate Dean for Research
Professor of Biological Sciences
Joint School of Nanosciences & Nanoengineering
Suite 2200, Rm 104
North Carolina A&T State University
UNC Greensboro
2901 E. Lee St.
Greensboro, NC 27401
EgalitarianJay
Youngling

Post by EgalitarianJay »

Channel72 wrote:Yeah, I agree. It seems really counter-intuitive to imagine that black people, on average, have lower cranial capacities (and average IQ scores of 65!). Something tells me Rushton fudged this data pretty badly.
I don't even think this chart is accurate. It also says that Orientals have lower average mental health.

This version of the chart is taken from a PDF of Rushton's book (Black IQ 85):

Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

It seems like Dr Graves' response confirms my suspicions. No systematic measurements are on record, meaning that Rushton was free to cherry-pick the data and choose the categories to fit his pre-decided conclusion, assuming that the data wasn't simply made up. Thanks for forwarding the question to him, EJ!

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, Africans might have, on average, slightly smaller heads...

But if we use SWPIGWANG's argument consistently, then there'd be a strong selection pressure toward higher intelligence on a smaller cranial 'chassis.' Stupid people don't live longer than smart people in any ancestral environment. So either you'd see selection pressure in favor of making brains bigger (until you get to a size that is, frankly, probably bigger than necessary just so there's some reserve capacity in case of malnutrition, head injury, or an unexpectedly complex situation), or in favor of making them more efficient (likewise).

There's nothing that would explain why Africans have a unique selection pressure that selects against brains that are "too big" and "too powerful." So there's no reason to expect them to develop such brains, or for the reverse to happen in other lands.
EgalitarianJay
Youngling

Post by EgalitarianJay »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:It seems like Dr Graves' response confirms my suspicions. No systematic measurements are on record, meaning that Rushton was free to cherry-pick the data and choose the categories to fit his pre-decided conclusion, assuming that the data wasn't simply made up. Thanks for forwarding the question to him, EJ!
That email is actually quite old now, but I thought it would be a great addition to the thread given your question and other comments. Rushton actually selectively cited data on brain size and cranial capacity to make his claim of racial hierarchies in brain size. An anthropologist named Leonard Lieberman critiqued Rushton's claims in detail. I highly recommend giving that article a read. Graves also commented on Brain Size & IQ in the "Misuse of Life History Theory" article which you can read if you follow the link in the OP.

Lieberman's article: How “Caucasoids” Got Such Big Crania and Why They Shrank: From Morton To Rushton Current Anthropology Volume 42, Number 1, February 2001