The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

Post by Knife »

Batman wrote: 2020-10-31 09:37pm Now that's an interesting story concept. Boba Fett DID survive but is shunned by Mandalorian society because he's the most incompetent Mandalorian that ever was (after his father)
IIRC, in the Clone Wars Mandalorian arc, they brought up Jango and the Mandalorian's said he wasn't a true Mando. Don't know if that means he was at one point and got banished, or if he was just a poser with a set of armor.

That being said, liked the episode. Was fun. I really like Tim Olyphant, though he might be typed cast now what with this, Justified, and Deadwood. He does play the 'gunfighter' character well.

I was a bit disappointed in the end of the show reveal. Really wanted Rex.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-10-31 09:27pm Plus Fett is the one that needed a reminder that "I want them alive" means "no disintergrations".

How would you feel if Fett was recognized for the competence he actually displayed in the OT, instead of the reputation he got from the fans ?
What competence?
In A New Hope, in cut scences, he followed Jabba around, and looked towards the camera once.

In Empire, he knew a smuggler trick, followed a damaged ship, and then let the Empire do the work.

In ROTJ, he looked badass, did a flying jet leap to land in front of a guy with a laser sword, got knocked over, got up, missed at close range, and then got tossed into the Sarlac by a blind-guy.

That's not competence. That's 'thug', 'educated guess', and 'got my ass handed to be by a blind guy'.

Sorry, Boba was pathetic in the OT. Cool looking, yes. Competent? No.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Yeah. That's the level of "competence" I was talking about.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

If Boba Fett's helmet is truly made of beskar, I wonder what in the hell gave it that gigantic dent. I realize that it's probably not quite Marvel Universe adamantium, but it's still really damn strong.
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Knife wrote: 2020-11-01 10:43am
Batman wrote: 2020-10-31 09:37pm Now that's an interesting story concept. Boba Fett DID survive but is shunned by Mandalorian society because he's the most incompetent Mandalorian that ever was (after his father)
IIRC, in the Clone Wars Mandalorian arc, they brought up Jango and the Mandalorian's said he wasn't a true Mando. Don't know if that means he was at one point and got banished, or if he was just a poser with a set of armor.
Dutchess Satine flat out said Jango wasn't a Mandalorian and that he had stolen his armor. Shortly after that Karen Travis left writing for Star Wars over "creative differences". :lol:

Yeah I have never understood Boba Fett's popularity either. His most memorable scene is where he goes: "Ahhhhh!" and falls down the Sarlac pit. Apparently George Lucas didn't think that was the actions of an elite Mandalorian either. (see above)
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Knife wrote: 2020-11-01 10:43amI was a bit disappointed in the end of the show reveal. Really wanted Rex.
Honestly, I'm not sure if it was Boba, Rex, or some other clone. I didn't see enough detail to be sure either way.

Boba is just the one that seems most likely.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-11-01 07:41pm
Knife wrote: 2020-11-01 10:43amI was a bit disappointed in the end of the show reveal. Really wanted Rex.
Honestly, I'm not sure if it was Boba, Rex, or some other clone. I didn't see enough detail to be sure either way.

Considering the McGuffin of the show was Boba's armor, it would be weird if it wasn't.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Knife wrote: 2020-11-01 08:45pm Considering the McGuffin of the show was Boba's armor, it would be weird if it wasn't.
Unless it was intended as a deliberate misdirection. After all, since Ahsoka's going to show up this season I wouldn't be surprised if Rex isn't far away.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I wonder what Rex would think of Boba.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-11-01 09:53pm I wonder what Rex would think of Boba.
Boba tried to kill Windu, Anakin, and Kenobi. Rex would be asking how the kid got out of punishment (wasn't he put in juvie jail after they caught him?)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Knife wrote: 2020-11-01 10:43am That being said, liked the episode. Was fun. I really like Tim Olyphant, though he might be typed cast now what with this, Justified, and Deadwood. He does play the 'gunfighter' character well.
Guess you didn't see him in The Santa Clarita Diet, then.

Sure, he's a bit typecast, but he's got a greater range than that and I think he's trying out for more than just "gunfighter" these days.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-10-30 11:52pm BTW: Still wondering how Mando knows their sign language/use-words that go with the sign language.
This wasn't a huge point with me; I've seen a few westerns where the protagonist or a supporting character knows how to speak with some Indian tribe and they don't explain it. He just knows basically because the plot requires it.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Native American sign language was widespread and used as a trade language across wide swathes of North America. While there were no doubt some regional differences, it function as at least a trade pidgin and possibly an actual lingua franca of sorts. It may be that Tatooine has a similar form of sign language, or a trade pidgin that incorporates a lot of sign language.

It does seem that virtually everyone in the SW universe is multi-lingual, including understanding languages they can't physically speak.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

If you're a spacer it helps. Seems a logical view to have.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Knife wrote: 2020-11-01 08:45pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2020-11-01 07:41pm

Considering the McGuffin of the show was Boba's armor, it would be weird if it wasn't.
To me it looked like Temuera Morrison we saw at the end? he is the same guy who played Jango in the PT. Would make a lot of sense for him to be playing an older Boba. The only question for me is if we see him again.
Spoiler
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0607325/?ref_=tt_cl_t9
His page seems to say it was him, and he is playing Boba Fett. However I don't know if the entries on IMDB are actually official, or just guesswork by contributors.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Isn't IMDB crowdsourced ?

Which means that either fans are assuming it's Boba or someone is intentionally lying like what happened with ST:Discovery. Either way, I'm not trusting IMDB on this.

We are talking about clones here. Temuera Morrison is the actor I'd expect for Rex or Boba.
Dino-Mario
Redshirt

Post by Dino-Mario »

Spoiler
Well, well, well, the definite apex predator of Tatooine, the greater krayt, has finally made made its long anticipated physical debut and hoo boy, does it live to the hype. Gotta adore those KOTOR references.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I got only one thing to say about Season 2 Episode 2:
Spoiler
Did they just perform an interstellar journey without hyperdrive? In less than a day?!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

That got my attention. I have a possible explanation for it.
Spoiler
When trying to make sense of the Holdo Manoeuvre, I got the idea that hyperdrives use a space-warping effect - similar to Warp or Alcubierre drive - to rapidly accelerate to lightspeed. If this is the case, then it’s plausible that this drive could be used by itself; after all, any hyperspace-capable ship would have to include it. This would allow FTL travel without entering hyperspace, with the downside that it’s a lot slower, and the ship is potentially detectable by other ships in realspace.

I can only think of two problems so far. One is that Djarrin seemed be travelling at normal speed when the two X-wings jumped him. That said, this would argue just as much against near-C STL. My current explanation is that a non-hyper journey requires course corrections made in realspace, and the ship was carrying one out when he got jumped. Another is that the system can only manage short hops, and Djarrin got jumped during an interval.

The other is that if such a thing is possible, why don’t people use it to run from an interdictor? Two possible explanations present themselves. One is that any ship trying it would be chased down fairly easily. The other is that doing so may require the hyperdrive to be reprogrammed or otherwise modified; something one might not be able to do on the fly. This would conveniently add to Djarrin’s irritation; he’s having to alter his hyperdrive for the sake of one passenger and her eggs.

And that’s all I’ve got. I just didn’t want to believe that the writers could make a mistake like that. It seems fairly elementary.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Spoiler
Except he explicitly said he'd have to do the trip sublight
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Also, Idiot's Array, so I guess Sabbac is finally canon?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I guess we aren't going to get anything to confirm which clone we saw in the first episode for a while.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Batman wrote: 2020-11-06 07:34pm Spoiler
Except he explicitly said he'd have to do the trip sublight
Unfortunately that’s true.
Spoiler
The best I can suggest is that it’s a colloquialism; that terms like ‘lightspeed’ and ‘sublight’ refer specifically to hyperspace and realspace respectively. After all, Han Solo spawned decades of debates over his phrase ‘point five past lightspeed’. Beyond that, I got nothing.

Returning to fast sublight, on reflection it could be happening. I’m not sure how one would clearly represent such speeds visually. All we see in the episode is the Razor Crest trundling along, and two X-wings pulling alongside. The only time he’s not obviously travelling at such high speed is when he’s approaching the planet, and then after that. He may conceivably have been slowing down after he broke and ran, but we can see his engines lit up from behind. I’m going to have to stick with the course correction explanation on that one.

This still leaves the problem of where he was, and how long his journey was expected to take. Peli Motto told him that the destination was “in this sector, one system trailing”; which seems to meant that it’s fairly close. If so, the obvious explanation is that the destination is less than a light year away; I can’t think of an obvious reason why it couldn’t be. Also, for all we know, poor Djarrin didn’t even manage to leave the system before he got jumped. All we see is him starting the journey, going to get some sleep, then being disturbed by the alarm.

It could be interesting watching this little controversy play out. The Holdo Manoeuvre spawned multiple YouTube videos and a lot of blog articles before it died off.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Too many things going on, and it was a fluff episode.

Were those the Spiders from Rebels on the planet Atollon?

Anyway, took it as they went sublight but high fraction of C and were still in the system when jumped by the Xwing patrol. Mando just got done programing in the nav and was leaning back to relax when it went sidewards. Seems he was just in the Tatooine system.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Okay, I think I'm all Amy Sedaris'd out. She was mildly tolerable in the first season, but now she's just a zany sitcom character.

I miss Nick Nolte.