Salt Water on Mars

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Salt Water on Mars

Post by Zor »

Link
March 17, 2009
Salty, liquid water has been detected on a leg of the Mars Phoenix Lander and therefore could be present at other locations on the planet, according to analysis by a group of mission scientists led by a University of Michigan professor. This is the first time liquid water has been detected and photographed outside Earth.

"A large number of independent physical and thermo dynamical evidence shows that saline water may actually be common on Mars," said Nilton Renno, a professor at the University of Michigan, Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic and Space Sciences, and a co-investigator on the Phoenix mission.

"Liquid water is an essential ingredient for life. This discovery has important implications to many areas of planetary exploration, including the habitability of Mars."

Previously, scientists believed that water existed on Mars only as ice or water vapor because of the planet's low temperature and atmospheric pressure. They thought that ice in the Red Planet's current climate could sublimate, or vaporize, but they didn't think it could melt.

This analysis shows how that assumption may be incorrect. Temperature fluctuation in the arctic region of Mars where Phoenix landed and salts in the soil could create pockets of water too salty to freeze in the climate of the landing site, Renno said.

Photos of one of the lander's legs show droplets that grew during the polar summer. Based on the temperature of the leg and the presence of large amounts of "perchlorate" salts detected in the soil, scientists believe the droplets were most likely salty liquid water and mud that splashed on the spacecraft when it touched down. The lander was guided down by rockets whose exhaust melted the top layer of ice below a thin sheet of soil.

Some of the mud droplets that splashed on the lander's leg appear to have grown by absorbing water from the atmosphere, Renno said. Images suggest that some of the droplets darkened, then moved and merged - physical evidence that they were liquid.

The wet chemistry lab on Phoenix found evidence of perchlorate salts, which likely include magnesium and calcium perchlorate hydrates. These compounds have freezing temperatures of about -90° Fahrenheit (-68° Celsius) and -105° Fahrenheit (-76° Celsius), respectively. The temperature at the landing site ranged from approximately -5° Fahrenheit (-21° Celsius) to -140° Fahrenheit (-96° Celsius), with a median temperature around -75° Fahrenheit (-59° Celsius). Temperatures at the landing site were warmer than this during the first months of the mission.

Thermodynamic calculations offer additional evidence that salty liquid water can exist where Phoenix landed and elsewhere on Mars. The calculations also predict a droplet growth rate that is consistent with what was observed. And they show that it is impossible for ice to sublimate from the cold ground just under the strut of the lander's leg and be deposited on a warmer strut, a hypothesis that has been suggested.

Certain bacteria on Earth can exist in extremely salty and cold conditions.

"This discovery is the result of the talent and dedication of the entire Phoenix team and NASA, whose strategy for Mars exploration and the Phoenix mission is 'follow the water,'" Renno said.
Looks like there might be bacteria on mars after all.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Salt Water on Mars

Post by Zixinus »

I'm I the only one sick of the whole "there might be life on mars" angle? I mean, yes, there is an environment that resembles one that has bacteria on Earth. But that doesn't mean that there is bacteria on Mars. That doesn't even mean that there was bacteria on Mars.

But no, this is somehow seems like an obsessive angle for NASA. Life on Mars. Am I the only one that finds this strange and obsessive?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Zixinus wrote:I'm I the only one sick of the whole "there might be life on mars" angle? I mean, yes, there is an environment that resembles one that has bacteria on Earth. But that doesn't mean that there is bacteria on Mars. That doesn't even mean that there was bacteria on Mars.
So the fact that something might not exist in a certain area, even when there is evidence that the conditions there for it to exist is not a reason to press on investigation into weather it actual exists. Brilliant.
But no, this is somehow seems like an obsessive angle for NASA. Life on Mars. Am I the only one that finds this strange and obsessive?
Because the discovery of extraterrestrial life, extinct or exant would be a major scientific discovery and is one of the big reasons why we are shooting probes with rovers to Mars instead of Venus or Mercury in the first place.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Zixinus wrote:I'm I the only one sick of the whole "there might be life on mars" angle? I mean, yes, there is an environment that resembles one that has bacteria on Earth. But that doesn't mean that there is bacteria on Mars. That doesn't even mean that there was bacteria on Mars.

It might also put a big tape over the mouth of those "Earth is fine-tuned for life!" types. Sort of. My own experience suggests that they will change their argument to "Earth is fine-tuned to our kind of life!"

It would still be a huge advance in our understanding of life, though.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Like it or not, the idea of being the first to discover life on another planet is exciting and they're chasing the possibility. And don't forget space exploration is expensive; I wouldn't be surprised if the search for aliens gets publicity because it generates hype, public interest, and investments among the common man, especially where there are so many necessary things on earth to be spending money on.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Finding life on mars would be supremely awesome, i don't think it's weird of NASA to be focusing on that aspect of mars research at all.

Imagine if they find life that was distantly related to us genetically, imagine the moment.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

If Mars can support alien life, it could be made to support OUR life.

Simple as that.

(Sarcasm) That, and you know, the whole 'looking for easy alien chicks to bang. Zap Branagain would be proud!(/Sarcasm).
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Solauren wrote: If Mars can support alien life, it could be made to support OUR life.

Simple as that.
Errr. . . no. Not necessarily. There's any number of microbial lifeforms that exist in environments we couldn't possibly hope to survive in. Unless by "our" life you mean other, similar microbes.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Tahlan
Youngling

Post by Tahlan »

Zor wrote:
Article wrote:
Certain bacteria on Earth can exist in extremely salty and cold conditions.
Looks like there might be bacteria on mars after all.
That's an intuitive leap the article does not make.
"And this is the house I pass through on my way to power and light."
~James Dickey, Power and Light
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

So the fact that something might not exist in a certain area, even when there is evidence that the conditions there for it to exist is not a reason to press on investigation into weather it actual exists.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't look into it, but rather, that we've already looked into it. How many goddamn probes did we send again?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't look for it, but Jesus, is there anything other to be said about Mars other than that it probably, plausibly and theoretically might have harboured life?

I'm not against Mars exploration, but please everyone, spare us the bullshit: the odds of finding anything after when we've already shot probe after probe, is smaller and smaller. We want to explore Mars for the sake of exploring Mars? Fine. Say that. Just stop saying that "there might be life there" because we've been told that again and again. We've found none.

Can we look at another angle of Mars? Could our probes look at something other than the signs of life? Don't tell me that's the only interesting thing about Mars.
Because the discovery of extraterrestrial life, extinct or exant would be a major scientific discovery and is one of the big reasons why we are shooting probes with rovers to Mars instead of Venus or Mercury in the first place.
Great. We've looked at Mars. We've looked at it again. We've looked at it closer and closer. We're at the level that we're desperately looking for traces of microbiological life or bacteria.

At this rate, why don't we look elsewhere, like Jupiter, Venus or Io? Why aren't we sending probes there?
Imagine if they find life that was distantly related to us genetically, imagine the moment.
"WE'VE FOUND A MICROBE!"

*crickets*

"So?"

"WE'VE FOUND A DEAD ALIEN MICROBE!"

"Okay. Cool. I'm going to get lunch."

---

Yeah, I don't think that many people outside the direct field of biology would care much. Probably most would shrug and go on with their daily lives. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if many people would have doubts.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Zixinus wrote:
So the fact that something might not exist in a certain area, even when there is evidence that the conditions there for it to exist is not a reason to press on investigation into weather it actual exists.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't look into it, but rather, that we've already looked into it. How many goddamn probes did we send again?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't look for it, but Jesus, is there anything other to be said about Mars other than that it probably, plausibly and theoretically might have harboured life?

I'm not against Mars exploration, but please everyone, spare us the bullshit: the odds of finding anything after when we've already shot probe after probe, is smaller and smaller. We want to explore Mars for the sake of exploring Mars? Fine. Say that. Just stop saying that "there might be life there" because we've been told that again and again. We've found none.
We've landed . . . how many experiments on Mars capable of directly detecting life? Two. Viking 1, and Viking 2. And they were fixed landers, completely incapable of moving to greener pastures. Everything else? Pathfinder/Sojourner? Nope, they were the testbed for the later Mars Exploration Rovers. The Mars Exploration Rovers? They're geologists. They don't do biochem. Mars Phoenix? Sorry, it wasn't quite geared towards searching for life either.

As for future missions, there's Mars Science Laboratory, due to launch in 2009 2011, which has some experiments capable of discerning chemistry generated by biology. Of course, the whole MSL project is plagued by enormous cost overruns and may not actually ever launch.

There's only so much we can conclude by examining Mars with orbiters, and the evidence gathered from orbit is a solid "maybe."
Can we look at another angle of Mars? Could our probes look at something other than the signs of life? Don't tell me that's the only interesting thing about Mars.
We're examining the geological history of Mars as well. Though all that really tells is is that Mars used to be really wet all over a few billion years ago, then became considerably drier. While the reason why this is so is a fascinating avenue of research by itself, it's not quite the draw that searching for life is. Especially since Mars will be the only planet we're likely to conduct sample-return and manned exploration of before the dawn of the 22nd century.
Great. We've looked at Mars. We've looked at it again. We've looked at it closer and closer. We're at the level that we're desperately looking for traces of microbiological life or bacteria.

At this rate, why don't we look elsewhere, like Jupiter, Venus or Io? Why aren't we sending probes there?
Cost. You could conceivably build four or five rovers along the lines of Spirit and Opportunity for the cost of a single mission to the outer solar system. A probe looking for life on Europa, or Titan and Enceladus costs significantly more to transport to its destination. You're also waiting years for it to get there. It has to be hardened against the hostile radiation environment surrounding the big gas giants. Furthermore, any life living on the icy moons of the outer giants are likely to be located under tens of kilometers of solid fucking ice. Drilling down through that ice presents technical hurdles we are only just beginning to solve in small-scale, and ignores the problem of how the vehicle will work once we get through all that ice.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Saying that you're fed up with NASA probes not looking at anything else but signs of microbial life shows such an incredible ignorance of the subject matter that a moon hoaxer would be proud of you, Zixinus.

They heavily publicize new discoveries relating to possibility of life existing on Mars, but that's far from the only activity the probes are doing.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

PeZook wrote:Saying that you're fed up with NASA probes not looking at anything else but signs of microbial life shows such an incredible ignorance of the subject matter that a moon hoaxer would be proud of you, Zixinus.

They heavily publicize new discoveries relating to possibility of life existing on Mars, but that's far from the only activity the probes are doing.
You're right. Forget I said anything.
Credo!
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Even despite the cost, a probe to Pluto is halfway there. It will arrive in 2015. So certainly we're doing stuff- we're sending probes to almost every planet except Venus (because nobody cares about Venus, it sucks).

Halfway by time, that is, not distance- it's accelerating and building up speed, and/or going to gravity boost off of some planet.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Duckie wrote:Even despite the cost, a probe to Pluto is halfway there. It will arrive in 2015. So certainly we're doing stuff- we're sending probes to almost every planet except Venus (because nobody cares about Venus, it sucks).
I wish we were sending probes to Venus. "Why does Venus suck so much?" could turn out to be a very important question; at the very least, it's an interesting one.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

RedImperator wrote:
Duckie wrote:Even despite the cost, a probe to Pluto is halfway there. It will arrive in 2015. So certainly we're doing stuff- we're sending probes to almost every planet except Venus (because nobody cares about Venus, it sucks).
I wish we were sending probes to Venus. "Why does Venus suck so much?" could turn out to be a very important question; at the very least, it's an interesting one.
The problem of course would be to construct probes that could endure for any appreciable length of time in the Venusian environment and be able to do useful work. It is certain anything with delicate instrumentation is right out —such units would never survive the conditions on the surface.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Earth, the Sol System, is a backwater of the galaxy. We're in the middle of nowhere.

Finding life on Mars --two planets right next door to one another-- means that life, and the conditions for it, are far, far more prevalent than previously thought. Finding life on Mars, even a little amoebic booger-thing, raises the possibility that the Galaxy as a whole could be full of all sorts of life.

I think once we satisfy our curiosity about Mars, we'll see the same obsessive behavior about the moons of the Giants. Chances are good that some sort of life may be there, too.

Think about it-- if it turns out that there are three, four, five bodies in one asscrack solar system that have life on them, then the possibility exits that the whole damn Galaxy is a teeming pool of life-- which increases the chance of meeting intelligent life.

I call it fascinating, and worth the look.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
spikenigma
Village Idiot

Post by spikenigma »

if it takes $20-30 billion dollars for a manned mission to Mars, like the ESA proposition near the bottom of the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manned_Mars_Mission

surely even with the financial crisis, if that cost was split among G8 nations evenly because they would all benefit. It would be $3.75 billion per nation, or approximately 9 days in Iraq (based on 845 billion currently spent)
There is no knowledge that is not power...
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Well, with the money the US blew on Iraq you could've practically built a moon base already :D

Maybe not quite, but at the very least Constellation would be on schedule...
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Coyote wrote: I think once we satisfy our curiosity about Mars, we'll see the same obsessive behavior about the moons of the Giants. Chances are good that some sort of life may be there, too.

Think about it-- if it turns out that there are three, four, five bodies in one asscrack solar system that have life on them, then the possibility exits that the whole damn Galaxy is a teeming pool of life-- which increases the chance of meeting intelligent life.

I call it fascinating, and worth the look.
I got my money on a giant fish eating the first probe into the oceans of Europa ;) [/brevity]

Personally Zixinius, I've found the Spirit and Opportunity missions amazing outside of the reason of lookig for life. They are the (IMO) successful NASA missions, the rovers have done a huge amount of research, and techniques of control and construction used in them have been improved for use in future rovers. The fact that the rovers are still functional after all this time (far, FAR pat their epected operational life) fills me with a great deal of pride in the efforts of the NASA engineers who designed and built them. If you don't know much about them past their search for life, I'd check out this site:
Mars Exploration Rover Mission (NASA site)
It's a day by day record of what the rovers are doing, and the missions they've undertaken is quite cool.

(I don't know how much you know about the rovers, so I included the information)

But seriously, an operational lifetime expectancy of 90 days, and they're still going! 5 years later![/gushing]
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Duckie wrote:Even despite the cost, a probe to Pluto is halfway there.
Indeed. But it's only going so fast because it's intended to be a flyby mission, so we can trade off being able to stop once there for getting there as quickly as possible.
we're sending probes to almost every planet except Venus (because nobody cares about Venus, it sucks).
What? No love for ESA's Venus Express? The Europeans have a Venus orbiter which is currently active. It's even been used to search for life . . . on Earth, that is. The Japanese are also expected to launch a Venus orbiter sometime next year.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Didn't the Russians land a probe on Venus?

Well, according to the Wiki, yes, they did. And it subsequently melted. Well, after more or less an hour. Got some good data, though.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Coyote wrote:Earth, the Sol System, is a backwater of the galaxy. We're in the middle of nowhere.
Er, given the immense amount of space between even the nearest stars (not counting those stars orbiting each other) wouldn't that apply to pretty much all solar systems? Even a quarter of a lightyear is still unimaginably far away as to effectively isolate any two bodies from each other.

As for the discovery, it is pretty interesting. I know such similarities might not entail that there may/is life on Mars, the discovery still has some pretty interesting ramifications about the chemical composition of the rest of the Solar system. Also, the origin of water in the Solar System has been a pretty big mystery, so any study related to water on bodies other than Earth may well be pertinent to answering that particular set of questions.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Er, given the immense amount of space between even the nearest stars (not counting those stars orbiting each other) wouldn't that apply to pretty much all solar systems? Even a quarter of a lightyear is still unimaginably far away as to effectively isolate any two bodies from each other.
Not all stellar neighborhoods are same in the galaxy. The core for example a rather exotic place. Earth in comparison is in bog standard place orbiting a mundane yellow star.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

Lusankya wrote:It might also put a big tape over the mouth of those "Earth is fine-tuned for life!" types. Sort of. My own experience suggests that they will change their argument to "Earth is fine-tuned to our kind of life!"
Or it might go to the "Our Solar System is fine tuned for life!". Back-pedaling is fun!

Regardless, I guess it's like lots of other scientific pursuits. You may not see the benefits now, but you can't really predict how it will help in the long run.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.