How bad is not eating for you?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Depends on what I'm doing really. If I have a normal, relatively boring schedule, I generally tend to feel sick if I don't eat lunch and dinner (although I almost never eat breakfast, generally have a very light lunch, and eat dinner late), but if I'm doing something out of the ordinary, or simply really occupied, I can go for almost a day without really feeling hungry.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

It's probably also worth mentioning that eating too much after a long starvation period can also be fatal.

I've heard many times that in WWII, that's how many Jews died after being liberated from German camps.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Antares
Padawan Learner

Post by Antares »

Normally eating nothing for 24h is no problem for me.
However, i have to drink something of course.
If i get hungry, i simply supress it and after some time
i no longer feel hungry.
Typically, i only eat one meal (dinner) a day, some fruits and
some chocolate.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Broomstick wrote:Actually, you can go awhile burning your muscle tissue before death sets in.
Skeletal muscle, yes. I was mainly referring to other organs.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

I should add that they have ceased their starvation, thank goodness. They will use their time towards the creation of their next art peice and it was a useful excercise for them, but I have dissuaded them from their origonal intention.

Thanks for the replies.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Stormin wrote:
Mario1470 wrote:Agreed. IIRC, I thought I had heard somewhere that he fattened himself up before his little 40 day stunt. Also, inactivity in a box is much less toll than the conditions you describe.

You do know how magicians work right? I very much doubt he is going completely without any form of nourishment, it's just not going to be televised or even very noticeable to anyone else who is watching.
He was fed water through a tube. I have strong suspicions that the water is sugared or otherwise fortified to keep him somewhat nourished.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Sofia
Padawan Learner

Post by Sofia »

My aunt adopted a little boy from Thailand. Due to Swiss bueracracy (they thought my aunt was too old to be a mother, she was in her early forties at the time) she couldn't go and pick him up until he was four. Four years spent undernourished in a Thai orphanage left him very, very thin. He's eight or nine now, but, mentally and physically, he's about six. So, yeah, we need food to develop our bodies and brains. Food is good.

What's the point of an art project where you starve yourself, anyway? What was the final product? (Just out of curiosity).
Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you? (Walt Whitman)

"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." (Tom Stoppard)

Still here I carry my old delicious burdens/I carry them, men and women, I carry them with me wherever I go/I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them/I am fill'd with them, and I will fill them in return. (Whitman)
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

kheegan wrote:
Stormin wrote:[You do know how magicians work right? I very much doubt he is going completely without any form of nourishment, it's just not going to be televised or even very noticeable to anyone else who is watching.
He was fed water through a tube. I have strong suspicions that the water is sugared or otherwise fortified to keep him somewhat nourished.
I was about to say that in respose to Stormin. The Amazing Randi also reveals:
The Amazing Randi wrote:"A number of persons have been asking me why I won't test any more of these claimants who say that they don't eat or drink anything for years on end. There are a few dozen of them out there at this time, and new ones come up every month or so... Such a claim is difficult to test merely because of the time involved and the personnel necessary, and the claimants moan that they can't afford the costs involved.

I've been out on a couple of these expeditions in the USA, and I get bored out of my mind sitting in a car in a parking lot waiting for the claimant to emerge from a Holiday Inn room, sneak down the stairs, and visit the local burger joint for the needed nourishment. There's no end to it. And, the claim is just so obviously silly and frivolous, and I'm a grown man - too busy with serious claimants, to spend time on these nut-cases.

Yes, I'm aware that doctors - trained medical people - have observed a few of the claimants, but I've yet to see any evidence that these learned observers have the correct and necessary qualifications to detect sleight-of-hand. Until that time, those episodes remain as examples of the naive watching the cunning."