Fallout 4... is coming (10 Nov 2015)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Fallout 4... is coming (31 Dec 2015)

Post by Mr Bean »

TheFeniX wrote:
Lonestar wrote:Character talks
Voiced? Or just like other FallScrolls games?
Voiced and if you name yourself something common like "Howard" (They claimed 1000 most common names) characters who know you will call you by name others by the titles you pick up.
Someone will Youtube the entire thirty minutes on Fallout but damn do I have high hopes.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

TheFeniX wrote:
Lonestar wrote:Character talks
Voiced? Or just like other FallScrolls games?
Voiced. When the PC entered dialogue with his dog, for example, his lines were voice-acted.
Can be either male or female
I doubt you'll find another Beth game (or anything using their engine) that doesn't offer this for the foreseeable future. It's good info to have, but if I bought a Beth game and couldn't run a female for my second play-through, I'd riot.
The only reason this was an issue is because about a year ago there was a leak from somebody who in hindsight clearly knew a lot about what was going on, who believed you could only play as a male character. It's possible that they added that in after they left the character, either because they just hadn't done her lines yet or to avoid Bethesda being razed to the ground by an angry mob.
Mr Bean wrote:Someone will Youtube the entire thirty minutes on Fallout but damn do I have high hopes.
Lets see if this works...
Story

Fighting

Building
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Fallout 4... is coming (10 Nov 2015)

Post by Mr Bean »

The Raw is here The Fallout 3 section runs from the start of the video to the hour thirty eight minute mark or roughly 32 minutes of Fallout related content.

And unlike the previous editions the Pipboy edition this time is wearable and designed for smart phones, however the collector's edition is not yet available for pre-order.

Amazon has it up, 120$ for the collectors edition
No mention of pre-order bonuses yet.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

Damn.

i was holding off on getting an Xbone due to sticker shock, but this is pushing me towards it.

+3 hype
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
KroLazuxy_87
Padawan Learner

Post by KroLazuxy_87 »

Marko Dash wrote: i was holding off on getting an Xbone due to sticker shock, but this is pushing me towards it.
Don't know how much it'll help, but: Xbox One gets price drop to $349, new 1TB version with new controller
To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed. -Rowan Atkinson
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Enigma wrote:I'm looking forward towards Fallout 4 but I hope they'll get rid of some of the stupidity that has been present in previous games. I mean, unless a particular rundown building has been previously occupied, I'd rather not find in every second desk\filing cabinet\etc... bottle caps, ammo or other such loot. Bad enough there's computers that still function AND have power after 200 years. Where are they getting the power from? If that shattered building is still getting electricity why don't we see constant sparks from ruptured wiring? These are just a bunch of little pet peeves but it does break the SoD.

Nevertheless, yay Fallout 4! :)
One thing to keep in mind about the Fallout universe is that things like nuclear batteries and microfusion cells were widely used - I'm sure that things like computers were sold with "1000 year batteries" that were advertised to never need replacing.

I really wish they'd just eliminate the weapon degradation thing - this isn't an MMO where they need to incentivize constant expenditures.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

biostem wrote:I really wish they'd just eliminate the weapon degradation thing - this isn't an MMO where they need to incentivize constant expenditures.
I don't mind weapon degradation, I just wish it was a bit slower so you don't have to toss away a fully repaired assault rifle after like 20 mags.

Really I wish they have a more immersive system for weapon repair and degradation. I'd love if rather then repairing the whole weapon you needed to repair certain parts. Certain parts on a gun are going to wear out faster then others, the barrel, firing pin, small weak parts like springs, stuff like that. Firing the weapon continuously full auto will wear out the barrel faster then single shot, using better grade ammo will keep the weapon cleaner.

Because you need only to repair certain parts you don't need a whole replacement weapon. Instead you "parts" weapon you break down into its base components, receiver, stock, small parts, barrel, magic german clockwork if its a G-11, and so on. You'd probably be going through barrels pretty fast but have a whole pile of stocks. Some parts are superior to others, some Pre-War mil-spec chrome lined barrel is going to be superior and last long then some post war worn out barrel, some parts made of different materials are more resistance to corrosion and wear. You could take the finest parts from several different guns and build you a whole new super gun.

I doubt Fallout would implement a system like that but I think it'd be pretty cool to play a game like that.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Well from memory, adding modifications in NV did change the weapons durability. Unless it was a durability mod, it normally didn't repair it much though. With the larger range of season mods, this might be a thing.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Hopefully they will ditch weapon degrading. They did in Skyrim after finally realising that it has never been fun in any game ever.

NV changed how it worked a bit (there were durability upgrades and also there was a threshold over which damage didn't drop).
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Vendetta wrote:Hopefully they will ditch weapon degrading. They did in Skyrim after finally realising that it has never been fun in any game ever.

NV changed how it worked a bit (there were durability upgrades and also there was a threshold over which damage didn't drop).
I've never seen that in-game. Was that intended or a bug? Admittedly, I haven't played it in a while. Find I could sneak to New Vegas before doing anything else in game, going to the bar in Westside. I'd then gamble until they banned me. I'd take the money and buy a implant or two. I also raid the wrecked caravan with the plasma rifle and combat armour. That's a really nice boost to combat early. :D

Tends to take the fun out of the game though.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

It's intended. If you look at the durability bar of a weapon there's a little line on it (different place for different weapons). The damage doesn't drop until the durability goes below that line.

(I always use real guns in NV. My early game combat boost is one Stealth Boy and nicking Maria as soon as I hit Vegas because if you're really quick you can pickpocket it off Benny because he doesn't equip it. Then doing Honest Hearts at level 15 because that has the only two guns I need are there (Survivalist's Rifle and A Light Shining in Darkness, and Joshua Graham's armour for its +8% Crit.)
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I do remember that bar, durability does still drop but at a much reduced rate above it. I usually just but gun runner stuff and make weapon repair kits.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

One theory is that the Brotherhood we see in this game is the Chicago chapter from Fallout Tactics. It's mostly the airships and insignia. Link to album.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Joun_Lord wrote:Because you need only to repair certain parts you don't need a whole replacement weapon. Instead you "parts" weapon you break down into its base components, receiver, stock, small parts, barrel, magic german clockwork if its a G-11, and so on. You'd probably be going through barrels pretty fast but have a whole pile of stocks. Some parts are superior to others, some Pre-War mil-spec chrome lined barrel is going to be superior and last long then some post war worn out barrel, some parts made of different materials are more resistance to corrosion and wear. You could take the finest parts from several different guns and build you a whole new super gun.
The problem with this system is that for gameplay purposes your repair needs are driven by the "lowest common denominator:" the part or parts that break most often.

If your M-16 breaks because the trigger spring broke after 300 trigger pulls again and you have to salvage another M-16 trigger spring, for gameplay purposes this is not very different than having to salvage a whole new M-16 that will last for 300 trigger pulls.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Simon_Jester wrote:The problem with this system is that for gameplay purposes your repair needs are driven by the "lowest common denominator:" the part or parts that break most often.

If your M-16 breaks because the trigger spring broke after 300 trigger pulls again and you have to salvage another M-16 trigger spring, for gameplay purposes this is not very different than having to salvage a whole new M-16 that will last for 300 trigger pulls.
Jagged Alliance 2 solved that problem by abstracting the issue of spare parts etc and just giving you a generic, gradually consumable "toolkit" item and making repairs take a certain amount of in-game time depending on the Mechanical skill of whoever was set to repair duty. That might not translate very well to a game that isn't squad-based, though. Maybe have the various weapon proficiency skills govern your character's ability to repair them, instead of the standalone Mechanical one?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

I'm not too thrilled, even if I'm a long time fan of the series. All the hype so far is about stuff that is totally irrelevant to me and it would be nice to get a fallout game (finally) with non sucky combat and a working inventory system. FO3 only got decent combat after several mods, and while NV combat was improved out of the box, it still needed mods to get decent and even after that it was less than stellar by comparison to more combat driven games of the time. Then there's repair crafting etc.. Well I can get why people want in the game.. immersion or some such but to me from a purely gaming point of view both are at best of limited utility to being utterly useless. Already in FO3 the whole weapon degradation mechanic is a minor nuisance factor and in NV you can pretty much ignore it as serious limitation, it just gives you one more useless routine to perform every now and then. Crafting... okay some people like for some reason, I personally just see it as something to make money even more worthless. I would far more prefer it one way or the other, or at least heavily balanced towards having something to use those godawful piles of money on you can generate in all the Fallout games. Some of this would be naturally fixed by a working inventory system to reign in the magpie effect present in the current Fallout games.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

As long as there's a significant lack of Little Lamplights.
I mean, I'm far from hopeful, but hopefully they looked at the stuff that made New Vegas better from the angle of lore and story and put that to use.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

New data peeps.

No skills. Instead you have perks based on your SPECIAL stat and other qualifying factors, like level.

No level cap.

Can improve SPECIAL stats.

Can play without companions.

Can accept mods. I believe.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Does that mean I can play without the dog from the videos seen thus far?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Gandalf wrote:Does that mean I can play without the dog from the videos seen thus far?
Yes the dog is a companion you can leave him at home with Cogsworth and he will be a GOOD BOY who's a good doggie!
Just like every other Fallout Dog, it's a companion meaning you don't have to take the dog or you can leave them at home.

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Lone Wanderer looks to have three ranks. Rank one 15% Damage reduction +50 carry capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EglSEsEt9g0
Black Mage,

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Possibly, although the dog is immortal and is probably intended to be a permanent fixture (there are also perks that improve your dog, eg letting it grab and immobilise targets).

Also, you start off with less SPECIAL points than in previous games, only 28 rather than the 40 you got in Fallout 3.

You can, however, take the first rank of any perk as long as you have the stat for it. You can start the game with 10 in a stat and immediately take the level 10 perk for that stat, but further ranks of the perk, which either make it stronger or do different stuff (most have 3-5 ranks) might have a level requirement.

Skill books/magazines are still in the game, they give unique perks not available through levelling.

Here is the perk chart. You can guess what some of them are from their icons being from previous games.

There will be some kind of distribution platform for user mods on the XBox One version, possibly PS4 version to follow.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I'm guessing Skyrim style skill progression, ie, you use it and you get better at it.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist

Post by Typhonis 1 »

InsaneTD wrote:I'm guessing Skyrim style skill progression, ie, you use it and you get better at it.
No skills. Perks have replaced the skill system.
Black Mage,

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Skills were too trivial to max out in the last two Fallout games, so perks were the only real differentiator between characters (and in Fallout 3 there were enough perk choices to get all the good ones anyway)