BREAKING: Obama to annoucne policy-reversal wrt Cuba

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

BREAKING: Obama to annoucne policy-reversal wrt Cuba

Post by Thanas »

Speeches made by both Obama and Castro at the same time will start in two minutes.

Apprently the embargo will be significantly loosened.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: BREAKING: Obama to annoucne policy-reversal wrt Cuba

Post by Zaune »

Well it's about bloody time.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Something I can get behind. Hopefully Congress follows suite. I can't see a political reason not too, even the Cuban expats are largely down with this now.

The easiest way to flush out the last remnants of Fidel's system is to expose it to American investment and tourists. The national security aspect of embargo (whether you think it was warranted or not) died with the USSR.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Excellent. I've always wanted to go to Havana.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

There is a flourishing Cuban cigar import industry near the Canada-US border that will probably have to find something else to do. On balance, though, this is good news.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Good. This is long overdue and should help freedomize the shit out of any last remnants of bad shit down there.

Also means there will be no more bitching when rich friends of politicians get passes to go down there which is always a good thing.

I guess this situation is the reason for Alan Gross being released.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Joun_Lord wrote:I guess this situation is the reason for Alan Gross being released.
...yes, as Obama said so in the speech. Obama exchanged three Cuban agents in exchange for Gross and a high level Cuban traitor who according to Obama handed the USA at one point their network in the US and who had been imprisoned for over two decades.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

About goddamned time.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Of course many prominent Republicans are decrying this as the "End of the world as we know it". So I wouldn't expect Congress to do anything to better this, but on the flip side they can't really do much to stop it either.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

End of the Cuban embargo is long overdue.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Wow, I think I was just talking to a friend about how the embargo was stupid and likely to continue indefinitely.

I thought Castro was retired?
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Ralin wrote:Wow, I think I was just talking to a friend about how the embargo was stupid and likely to continue indefinitely.

His brother took over. Happened a while ago.

montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Ralin wrote:Wow, I think I was just talking to a friend about how the embargo was stupid and likely to continue indefinitely.

Raul Castro been the leader since Fidel retired. In any event this could open up the market for vehicle restorationists looking for 50's era cars.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Patroklos wrote:The easiest way to flush out the last remnants of Fidel's system is to expose it to American investment and tourists. The national security aspect of embargo (whether you think it was warranted or not) died with the USSR.
Tourists? Last I heard, the plan is for easier business visas, tourist travel ban stays. Once again, big money proves it's the only thing that matters in politics these days.

Funny thing is, if you wanted Cuba to like USA more, best course was to do reverse, allow tourism while still halting business. Now, my bet is Cuba will get all the problems China has with outsource exploitation and little to no benefits.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Wow.

Looks like Obama showed some balls for a change.
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

We could hope that the next two years would be best described as "Let Obama be Obama". Assuming the "real" Obama is what we're really hoping for.

Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

SCRawl wrote:We could hope that the next two years would be best described as "Let Obama be Obama". Assuming the "real" Obama is what we're really hoping for.
One would hope. Too bad that he waited until the GOP controlled both houses of Congress. Also even if Obama is planning on being more strong in dealing with the Republicans, he still is far to beholden to big money corporate interests for my tastes. But then again, it's almost impossible to be President and not be beholden to big money corporate interests these days.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Stas Bush wrote:End of the Cuban embargo is long overdue.
Yes, and it still is, unfortunately. Embargo needs to be repealed by congress. I wouldn't hold my breath, but you never know.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Flagg wrote:
Stas Bush wrote:End of the Cuban embargo is long overdue.
Yes, and it still is, unfortunately. Embargo needs to be repealed by congress. I wouldn't hold my breath, but you never know.
If Obama is supporting something, its almost a given that the Republican-dominated Congress will oppose it, especially if its seen as backing down to communists.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

montypython wrote:

Raul Castro been the leader since Fidel retired. In any event this could open up the market for vehicle restorationists looking for 50's era cars.
Oh, doh.

Yeah, I knew that, I just still read "by both Obama and Castro" as Fidel. Dumb of me.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Joun_Lord wrote:Good. This is long overdue and should help freedomize the shit out of any last remnants of bad shit down there.

Also means there will be no more bitching when rich friends of politicians get passes to go down there which is always a good thing.

I guess this situation is the reason for Alan Gross being released.
The last time the American government held sway over Cuba, it was a cesspool of mafia gangsterism etc. Granted that was a long time ago, but seriously? This freedomization nonsense tripe has really ought to stop, or are American conservatives really this juvenile?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

They're really that juvenile.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

If only being juvenile was the worst of their problems.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

The Romulan Republic wrote:If only being juvenile was the worst of their problems.
Yes. And I am getting a strong sense that there's another Iraqi war just waiting to happen again. The war fatigue is over. Just a few beheadings and the mainstream media and politicians all get worked up.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The last time the American government held sway over Cuba, it was a cesspool of mafia gangsterism etc. Granted that was a long time ago, but seriously? This freedomization nonsense tripe has really ought to stop, or are American conservatives really this juvenile?
In many ways this is what is wrong with how America remembers WW2 and the Cold War, which still dominates our perspective on foreign policy. That the world stage is a battle between good and evil. Because we were good then, we must still be good now. If only Imperial stormtroopers followed this logic. :wink:
The Romulan Republic wrote:If only being juvenile was the worst of their problems.
I would say that this is among the biggest problems because of what it leads to, lack of compromise. This is actually the largest current problem in modern American politics, that nothing gets done because everyone is so concerned with staying in office that they fail to vote of anything of value.
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Yes. And I am getting a strong sense that there's another Iraqi war just waiting to happen again. The war fatigue is over. Just a few beheadings and the mainstream media and politicians all get worked up.
The Iraq war actually never ended, the US military simply changed from boots on the ground to advisers to constant air attacks. that worked beautifully the last time it was tried. Transitioning from Bush's foreign policy back to Clinton's/Obama's. Anything is fine as long as no Americans die, with special operations forces and air strikes preferred as they have less political risk while still allowing the President to appear to be tough in domestic politics. This is obviously not to say that either Bush did better.