Israel: Women banned from speaking at gynaecology conference

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Israel: Women banned from speaking at gynaecology conference

Post by bobalot »

In Jerusalem, women are voiceless at a decidedly womanly event
By Patrick Martin
Globe and Mail Update

A major conference on gynecological advances is permitting only males to speak, the latest move under pressure of ultra-Orthodox leaders

The controversial exclusion of women from various settings in Israel because of pressure from ultra-Orthodox Jewish leaders reached a new level this week with a major conference on gynecological advances that is permitting only males to address the audience.

The conference on "Innovations in Gynecology/Obstetrics and Halacha [Jewish law]" is being held by the Puah Institute this Wednesday in Jerusalem. It will include such topics as "ovary implants," "how to choose a suitable contraceptive pill" and "intimacy during rocket attacks," in which there are many qualified female professionals, but none will be permitted to speak, at least not from the podium.

Women are allowed in the audience, in a section separate from men.

Several Israeli human rights groups have protested the men-only nature of the conference. While it is considered a private rather than a public forum, and therefore not subject to Israeli policies against discrimination, Puah receives considerable funding from the Health Ministry, these complainants point out.

Such complaints are unlikely to make much of an impression, however. The Health Minister, to whom they are addressed, is actually the Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, owing to another sop to the Ultra-Orthodox.

The United Torah Judaism party refused to formally join the coalition cabinet since doing so would signal an acceptance of the Zionist state, something its beliefs preclude. So its representative was given the post of Deputy Health Minister, a non-cabinet position. It is this ultra-Orthodox man who really runs the department, while the PM represents it at the cabinet table.

At least two male Israeli doctors have withdrawn from making presentations at this week's Puah event once they were made aware of the exclusion of women, or at least once public outrage over the exclusion became apparent.

Puah - ironically named for one of the ancient Hebrew midwives believed to have refused the pharaoh's order to kill all male babies in Egypt at the time of Moses - has held many other conferences with male-only speakers. But this one comes on the heels of several other incidents in which women, or their images, have been excluded from public places under pressure from ultra-Orthodox leaders and their enforcement squads.

Until two years ago, public buses did not run through such religious neighbourhoods as Mea Sharim, in Jerusalem, and Beit Shemesh outside the city, because of frequent attacks on the buses in which windows were smashed by rocks.

Having been ordered to resume service in all these communities, many buses carry security guards and most adhere to the practice demanded by the rabbinate of seating women only at the back of the bus. Recent attempts to break this practice have resulted in well-reported altercations with male passengers.

As well, pictures of women are not displayed in the posters and ads carried by the bus in these areas, nor are they shown in ads at bus stops in religious communities.

As far as Puah is concerned, it operates on a strictly kosher basis, as required by the ultra-Orthodox rabbinate. While there are women on its board of directors, its public face is strictly male, and the two sexes are not allowed to mix at its events.

To be sure, not all sectors of the ultra-Orthodox community support these exclusionary tactics, explains Nachman Ben-Yehuda, a Hebrew University sociology professor and author of the recently published book Theocratic Democracy. "But most people are too afraid to speak out."
What a religious shithole.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Israel: Women banned from speaking at gynaecology confer

Post by Zaune »

*le sigh* You'd think even the hardline Orthodox mob would realise that this is one area of science that women really are equally or in fact probably better qualified to speak authoritatively about.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

Zaune wrote:*le sigh* You'd think even the hardline Orthodox mob would realise that this is one area of science that women really are equally or in fact probably better qualified to speak authoritatively about.
You are assuming that these fundies are reasonable, intelligent, and not misogynist.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Could you please provide a link?
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

This reminds me of the Taliban and their rabid sex segregation.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Could you please provide a link?
Easy enough; it was the top google result for the title.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

You are also making the assumption that the misogynists care about good gynecology in the first place. To them, good gynecology is women following what the men tell them to do, not the other way around. Or the way of women choosing to interpret those religious laws themselves.

The fact that gynecology is about a biological part of women, hence the obvious people to talk about it, has nothing to do with it. Look at the talks named: "ovary implants," "how to choose a suitable contraceptive pill" and "intimacy during rocket attacks,". All of these are subjects that can touch on religious laws or are bound to be something that self-styled "moral-police" just are aching to discuss.

If a single women speaker would be allowed to speak, she would inevitably scream "What do you men think you are doing, women want to handle their own bodies!". The misogynists do not care to hear this, they only care about how their beliefs would be enforced on the women.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I'm sure they believe that if a woman is virtuous and obeys God's Laws she will have no need of a gynecologist.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

They probably feel the men would get over-excited. Or the women would get over-excited; and, you know? They're probably right.
I know that if I told a group of women they were unable to speak about gynecological matters due to their gender, the things they would then say would probably be a bit over-excited.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Zaune wrote:*le sigh* You'd think even the hardline Orthodox mob would realise that this is one area of science that women really are equally or in fact probably better qualified to speak authoritatively about.
First of all, as far as i understand it, Orthodox Jews simply don't like a male audience listening to a woman.

Second, and more importantly:
Most religious fundamentalists abhor female health care, since it involves such things as birth control and abortions. They simply don't give a damn about all the other things it involves, such as prevention of breast cancer or treatment of potentially dangerous (and definitely annoying) vaginal infections.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Anyone else get the disturbing feeling that Israel is becoming more and more like Iran?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The sad part is how many Americans would have a hard time listening to a woman speak on gynecology. Far too many have drank the koolaid over the "sins" of Women's Health.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

It will include such topics as... "intimacy during rocket attacks,"...
I'm somewhat curious what such a lecture would be about. "How to tell your partner you have an artillery fetish"? "Don't lean on the control console"?
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Dare I say, it sounds like a problem Shep is uniquely qualified to talk about.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

LadyTevar wrote:The sad part is how many Americans would have a hard time listening to a woman speak on gynecology. Far too many have drank the koolaid over the "sins" of Women's Health.
would you mind elaborating?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

Zixinus wrote:The fact that gynecology is about a biological part of women, hence the obvious people to talk about it, has nothing to do with it. Look at the talks named: "ovary implants," "how to choose a suitable contraceptive pill" and "intimacy during rocket attacks,". All of these are subjects that can touch on religious laws or are bound to be something that self-styled "moral-police" just are aching to discuss.
Or you could just look at the title of the conference and see it plain and simple: "Innovations in Gynecology/Obstetrics and Halacha [Jewish law]"
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:This reminds me of the Taliban and their rabid sex segregation.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Could you please provide a link?
Easy enough; it was the top google result for the title.
Really? I assumed it was coming from the Onion. :|
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

PainRack wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:The sad part is how many Americans would have a hard time listening to a woman speak on gynecology. Far too many have drank the koolaid over the "sins" of Women's Health.
would you mind elaborating?
As i said, a lot of people solely assosciate "womens health" with "abortion" and maybe "birth control", both of which are widely portrayed as negative or outright evil in the USA. In fact it is a much wider topic.

Zed wrote:Or you could just look at the title of the conference and see it plain and simple: "Innovations in Gynecology/Obstetrics and Halacha [Jewish law]"
Doesn't change the fact that it is funded by the Health Ministry, and thus should not be subject to such enormous misogyny.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Yes, but they would definitely allow women to speak at a gynecology conference and anyone suggesting that women shouldn't speak would be laughed at from all the way to the door.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.