Military Coup in Turkey underway.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crown
NARF

Re: Military Coup in Turkey underway.

Post by Crown »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Crown wrote: If he's landed and walking around un-hindered, then yeah the coup failed. As I said earlier; we might hate Erdogan but he was fairly elected.
Fairly is a stretch given his control over the media.
Not a problem unique to just the Turkish electorate though.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Erdogan is the worst of all elected politicians and I wouldn't be too sad if a goat would bite off his dick.

He still is an elected politician and anybody who thinks the military would be more in favour of democracy does not remember the Turkish dictatorships before him.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Who are you talking about, the Ottomans or the previous military coups?

You're right, I don't remember the previous military coups, but I was under the impression that they handed back power to the people after accomplishing their goals of restoring secularism and democracy. Is that not true?
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

On the other hand, I'm know full well that my opinions are crazy. I would take a secular state run by a peaceful military junta over a democratically elected theocrat any day, which I understand many people would disagree with.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Those peaceful military juntas included a lot of repression, torture and people disappearing, especially among the kurds. They also gave us rampant nationalism and laws which allow people to be jailed for insulting turkendom.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Honorius
Youngling

Post by Honorius »

LadyTevar wrote:
Honorius wrote:Coup has failed. The Parliament and People have rejected it and citizens and police forces are now moving to arrest soldiers involved. Already Protesters and Police have routed the coup soldiers and are confiscating their vehicles.

Democracy has won.
Can you provide a link to this, Honorius? BBC and CNN both are silent on that. Where are you getting this information?
Sorry for being late, but I had nothing but calls all night, mostly bullshit calls but one was a legitimate DKA, and just got back to the station. It was actually a Live Update on Twitter by Conflict News referencing civilians and police arresting soldiers involved in the Coup and Government aligned F-16s shooting down Coup aligned Aircraft. Just watching CNN now, you can see more Coup Soldiers surrendering and the number of officers arrested is currently 5 generals and 29 colonels with 1,500+ coup soldiers already arrested.

At that time videos were streaming in showing civilians and police arresting Coup Soldiers. Gien the fluidity of the situation Twitter is the best source on the nature of the coup which quickly collapsed once Civilians and Police struck back.

That said the Erdogan Conspiracy nutjobs can kiss my ass. I deal with enough assholes and mainly stick to reading the fanfics section here. I have zero patience for the outlandish Erdogan Conspiracy Theories that fly in the face of all logic and reason and many of which are just outright racist especially those spewed by Thanas. And I thought this is suppose to be a board that frowns on Conspiracy Theories?

You know, if Erdogan truly supported IS, don't you think he would have cut arms support and training to the KRG, not allowed PKK and KRG Forces to reinforce Kobane and the KRG to call in artillery support to drive back IS assaults and in addition allow a fully equipped FSA Group reinforce Kobane.

Or for that matter, don't you think Erdogan would have not supported the FSA if he supported IS? Or allow Ickirlik to be used by the US.

Seriously your logic does not fucking compute. I don't know what the fuck Erdogan did to you guys personally, but his actions and way of governing are more the style of a Lincoln Republican, a man who openly hates gays, yet also sets that aside and defends their human rights to not be treated like shit in public areas. Or do you guys just don't understand the concept of professionalism and secularism? Or how the fuck a Democracy works?

Also SeaSkimmer, IS was founded in 1989 by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in Afghanistan and Osama and the Taliban thought he was nuts then, kicked him out to Jordan where he spent time in a Jordanian Prison till the current dumbass King of Jordan let him out with an Amnesty in 1999. The current IS Flag first showed up in early 2006 when US Soldiers started capturing them. And shortly before his death, Zarqawi declared the establishment of the Islamic State in Iraq, then promptly ate a double JDAM tap. Turkish Intelligence has nothing to do with IS and never supported them, they have, however, supported the FSA and Faylaq al-Sham, an FSA Group, has Turkish Volunteers who are on leave from the Turkish Military fighting in it with Turkish Government Approval.

I can go on with some of the more stupid shit. But I have been working non-stop since the courthouse shooting in St Joe, and I just want to play more Europa Barbarorum II. Good night.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Honorius can you explain because it really looks like your doing a copy/paste here, conspiracy theorists? What the hell are you talking about? Please quote me the conspiracy theorist posts in this thread, heck just quote posts you say are conspiracy-e, even vaguely so.

Also as mentioned already why do you post like a PR agency is writing a pitch ad for something?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Honorius, any further attempt to turn this thread into glorifying Erdogan by saying his clear and proven past support for ISIS is a conspiracy theory will be punished.

The guy survived a coup. This thread is about a coup. Not about how much you masturbate to the image of Erdogan.

I am not going to deal with further tangents.
------------
------------
My LPs
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Speaking of Incirlik airbase and ISIS, Turkey has shut down the base. So for now, the US cannot perform any airstrikes against ISIS using that base.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/asia/turk ... index.html
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I will note that if Erdogan pulls through this successfully, there's a fairly high chance he'll take the opportunity to purge the military of everyone who isn't both (1) a fundie and (2) an Erdogan loyalist. That happens a lot after unsuccessful coups- not without reason, from the point of view of the people who are targeted by failed coups.

One of the side effects is that people know this, and it tends to keep the military fighting longer, harder, and more viciously than they would purely for the goal of overthrowing Erdogan.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Dominus Atheos wrote:On the other hand, I'm know full well that my opinions are crazy. I would take a secular state run by a peaceful military junta over a democratically elected theocrat any day, which I understand many people would disagree with.
Well if we're talking fantasy then I would prefer a benevolent dictatorship, but if wishes were horses ...

Meanwhile, Turkish military helicopter lands in Alexandropouli in Norther Greece with crew requesting political asylum.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Simon_Jester wrote:I will note that if Erdogan pulls through this successfully, there's a fairly high chance he'll take the opportunity to purge the military of everyone who isn't both (1) a fundie and (2) an Erdogan loyalist. That happens a lot after unsuccessful coups- not without reason, from the point of view of the people who are targeted by failed coups.

One of the side effects is that people know this, and it tends to keep the military fighting longer, harder, and more viciously than they would purely for the goal of overthrowing Erdogan.
Not only the military, but in the judicial system as well: Almost 3,000 judges have already been purged and a constitutional court judge has been arrested. It seems as if Erdogan possibly seized the moment to strike against what he perceives to be his enemies. I wonder where it'll end.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Well, it's rare to see a country reach Stalin's level of paranoia these days. Time to purge the ideologically impure, the unfaithful and the traitors...
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Mange wrote:Not only the military, but in the judicial system as well: Almost 3,000 judges have already been purged and a constitutional court judge has been arrested. It seems as if Erdogan possibly seized the moment to strike against what he perceives to be his enemies. I wonder where it'll end.
With someone trying this sort of thing again, probably.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The populous is pretty evenly split between government and opposition (not necessarily military) supporters. There was a lot of talk about how dangerous Erdogan's call for a citizen uprising was last night because it was quite possible to have a popular uprising from both sides in response.

Its quite possible that though the military coup itself has failed, it has broken the seal on what people will consider acceptable in the near future. If Erdogan really does go overboard in his reaction to this it may just serve to push Turks into a far more destructive general anti government uprising with the predictable loyalist response rather than a lightning flash decapitation coup.

Just a thought, we see how vindictive he is. It should be noted that the Turkish military is still the most respected government institution in the country. I have quite a few Turkish officers studying with me right now, I will be curious to hear their take on Monday.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Mange wrote:Almost 3,000 judges have already been purged and a constitutional court judge has been arrested
Plus 3,000+ soldiers (enlisted and officers) arrested.

With a military made up of about:

300+ Flag Officers
38,900+ Officers
623,000+ Civilians

that's a lot of arrested people per capita for a really incompetent and ill put together coup -- the incompetence of the coup indicates it was by a very small faction in the military acting independently.

So chances of a counter- counter-coup are getting higher as Erdogan over-reacts to the initial (minor) coup.

I mean, if I was a Major in the Turkish military and I wasn't involved in the coup at all, I'd be either:

A.) Looking for a way out of Turkey to a place with no extradition treaties with Turkey.
or
B.) Planning my own counter-counter coup.

Because...to hell with waiting to see if I get it in the neck or not.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

MKSheppard wrote:
Mange wrote:Almost 3,000 judges have already been purged and a constitutional court judge has been arrested
Plus 3,000+ soldiers (enlisted and officers) arrested.

With a military made up of about:

300+ Flag Officers
38,900+ Officers
623,000+ Civilians

that's a lot of arrested people per capita for a really incompetent and ill put together coup -- the incompetence of the coup indicates it was by a very small faction in the military acting independently.

So chances of a counter- counter-coup are getting higher as Erdogan over-reacts to the initial (minor) coup.

I mean, if I was a Major in the Turkish military and I wasn't involved in the coup at all, I'd be either:

A.) Looking for a way out of Turkey to a place with no extradition treaties with Turkey.
or
B.) Planning my own counter-counter coup.

Because...to hell with waiting to see if I get it in the neck or not.
Yes, it seems to have been a small faction involved (and still 42 out of 359 generals have been arrested). However, Erdogan better beware that he doesn't overstep and has to deal with a counter-coup. The gruesome pictures from yesterday showing soldiers being abused and even murdered after the failed coup, can not sit well with the military.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

BBC wrote:Turkey coup arrests hit 6,000 as Erdogan roots out 'virus'
Turkey has arrested 6,000 people after a failed coup, with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowing to purge state bodies of the "virus" that caused the revolt.
At a funeral for one of the 290 victims, Mr Erdogan repeated an accusation that US-based Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen was behind the plot.
Mr Gulen strongly denies any involvement.
High-ranking military officers are among those held.
One of Mr Erdogan's top military aides, Colonel Ali Yazici, is among those now in custody, Turkish media reported.
The death toll rose on Sunday to more than 290, a foreign ministry statement said. More than 100 of those killed were involved in the coup, officials said.
"We will continue to cleanse the virus from all state institutions, because this virus has spread. Unfortunately like a cancer, this virus has enveloped the state," Mr Erdogan told mourners at the Fatih mosque in Istanbul.
He had earlier suggested parliament might consider a proposal to restore the death penalty.
Tens of thousands of Turks partied into the small hours of Sunday on the main squares of key cities to celebrate the failure of the coup.
Among the latest arrests to be reported was the commander of Incirlik air base in the south used by US-led coalition jets for raids against the so-called Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria. Unnamed officials said Gen Bekir Ercan Van and 10 other soldiers had been detained for their role in the coup.
Also on Sunday, more than 50 senior soldiers were detained in the western province of Denizli, including the garrison commander.
Those arrested on Saturday were reported to include Gen Erdal Ozturk, commander of the Third Army; Gen Adem Huduti, commander of the Second Army; and Akin Ozturk, the former Chief of Air Staff.
One of Turkey's most senior judges, Alparslan Altan, has also been taken into custody.
President Erdogan has called on the US to extradite Fethullah Gulen, 75, who heads the popular Hizmet movement and is said to count military chiefs and mid-level bureaucrats among his followers.
Once allies, Mr Erdogan has long accused Mr Gulen and his supporters of plotting against him.
US Secretary of State John Kerry said of any extradition, that Turkey should "present us with any legitimate evidence that withstands scrutiny".
Mr Gulen has denied any involvement in the coup. He has been in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania for the past 15 years, said: "I don't even know who my followers [in Turkey] are."
Mr Kerry strongly rebuked a Turkish minister who suggested Washington was behind the coup. He said "utterly false" insinuations were "harmful to our bilateral relations".
US President Barack Obama has joined other world leaders in calling for all parties in Turkey to "act within the rule of law".
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

And shortly before this sensitive situation erupted, we gained a foreign secretary who has previously won a poetry competition with an entry calling erdogan a wanker. Well this will be interesting.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

It's impossible to have performed thousands of investigations in less than a day. Erodgan is purging everyone on his shitlist, here comes the Turkish Caliphate.

There are many incredible pictures of soldiers being beaten and butchered in public by the way, I don't think the military has the morale for another coup.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

From my discussions with others, it is my understanding that those involved in the coup were hoping that the rest of the military would join them and that the people would gather to support them.

As it turned out. The rest of the military did not join the coup and the people mostly supported erdogen.

I felt that the ability for the Turkish military to launch a coup was broken a few years ago when they arrested a number of military officials. This is the final nail in the coffin. There will not be another military coup for a long time, if ever, unless erdogen really goes off the deep end and loses significant popularity but attempts to retain control, but even then perhaps not.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

cosmicalstorm wrote:It's impossible to have performed thousands of investigations in less than a day. Erodgan is purging everyone on his shitlist, here comes the Turkish Caliphate.

There are many incredible pictures of soldiers being beaten and butchered in public by the way, I don't think the military has the morale for another coup.
The coup was a resounding success.

For Erdogan and his islamofascists that anyway.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Apperently some copper planes had erdogan's plane in their sights but for some reason they didn't fire. If this is true, and they had fired, I imagine we would be in a very different situation right now.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

jwl wrote:Apperently some copper planes had erdogan's plane in their sights but for some reason they didn't fire. If this is true, and they had fired, I imagine we would be in a very different situation right now.
Unless they were erdogan's to begin with, kind of odd for Rebel plans to take off buzz the city, bomb empty non-strategic buildings while Erdogan is doing air donuts a scant dozen miles away. It's the biggest WTF from the entire coup as the actions of the "rebel" pilots make no sense unless they are taking advantage of the coup to do some joy riding or they took off on their own initiative but then who helped them load up and fuel up to get moving if they had no goal?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

What's the purge figure up to now? 20,000 including teachers? Or is it 30,000?

Meanwhile, several Turkish Naval Ships have gone missing ... speculation that they will be heading towards Greece. You know shit is bad when you think of defecting to one of your (maybe an exaggeration) fiercest military rivals in the region.