UK Conservative Party Leadership Race Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Re: UK Conservative Party Leadership Race Thread

Post by Darth Nostril »

The last few weeks have demonstrated how utterly incompetent the Tory and Diet Tory scum truly are.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

LOL "Diet Tory"
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I'm sure there are parallels to be had on Theresa's first day.

EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Dartzap wrote:The last few weeks feel like they could easily have been orchestrated by an aggrieved Humphrey.
On second thoughts, I think we've just spent that time very firmly in "no-one would believe this if it was written as fiction" territory.

Unless perhaps it was a collaboration between Tom Clancy and Tom Sharpe... :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Unfortunately there's no sign of the Government ignoring the Referendum, despite the small matter of the biggest proponents of Brexit having since left. It looks like May is going to be the one steering the ship onto the rocks. IMO the government should be about giving people what they need, instead of what they want.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I'm not saying the alternitives in the Tory leadership race were better, but this is probably the most conise explanation of why I don't trust May.
May has been home secretary for the past six years, where she has overseen two bills that demand the scientifically impossible. Earlier this year, MPs voted the Psychoactive Substances Act into law, essentially banning almost anything with the potential to alter your mental state – a definition researchers have warned is scientifically meaningless and potentially harmful.

And she is currently attempting to get the Investigatory Powers Bill through parliament. The bill is an update to the UK’s surveillance laws and has been widely criticised for introducing new powers, such as retaining internet users’ 12-month browsing histories. The bill also appears to ask online service providers to reveal encrypted messages for which they do not have the key – a mathematical impossibility. With May as prime minister, it seems very likely the bill will pass unhindered.

The prime minister-in-waiting’s voting record reveals her likely stance on other important issues. May voted against plans to legalise assisted dying and against a ban on smoking in public places, which has been shown to improve public health.

May also has a negative approach to environmental issues. She has generally voted against measures to fight climate change and was in favour of the UK’s recent failed* attempt to combat the spread of tuberculosis by culling badgers. She is also against environmental regulation for fracking in the UK.
*and unscientifically supported, I might add

https://www.newscientist.com/article/20 ... mpossible/
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Unfortunately there's no sign of the Government ignoring the Referendum, despite the small matter of the biggest proponents of Brexit having since left. It looks like May is going to be the one steering the ship onto the rocks. IMO the government should be about giving people what they need, instead of what they want.
Boris the Boar just became Foreign Secretary.... :lol:
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

The Chancellor of the Exchequer and the PM are Hammond and May respectively.

Now only if there was a Tory MP named Clarkson.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Jeremy Clarkson is rather a bit of a Tory supporter himself, maybe he could come in during a by-election.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, he couldn't make things much worse, could he? Maybe she could give him the Foreign Office after BoJo makes a complete bollocks of it.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

A Nazi salute that conveniently turns the E into an I and making it bitter. This is priceles.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I always find those nazi-salute screengrabs rather trite.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

If her voting record on civil liberties issues was less alarming I'd be inclined to agree.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Unfortunately there's no sign of the Government ignoring the Referendum, despite the small matter of the biggest proponents of Brexit having since left. It looks like May is going to be the one steering the ship onto the rocks. IMO the government should be about giving people what they need, instead of what they want.
Boris the Boar just became Foreign Secretary.... :lol:
I suspect it was a toss-up between him and Farage for who would be a bigger loose cannon :lol:

Clarkson would be the ideal minister for transport! :mrgreen:
Last edited by EnterpriseSovereign on 2016-07-14 12:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

NecronLord wrote:I always find those nazi-salute screengrabs rather trite.
Indeed, she's raising her arm and waving to a crowd. If that's enough to be dubbed a Nazi salute we might as well stop using our right arms for anything.

Hell, it's about as close to a Nazi salute as it is to a Communist one, but does anyone think that? Nope, because you can't get over how much you hate the Tories.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

It was actually about the "bitter future" part. This nazi stuff is on you people.

Fuck the tories though.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.