Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

Post by madd0ct0r »

Invading syria/iran and/or afghanistan again will be difficult without turkey's support, and Cameron has a paycheck to earn.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

David Mitchell wades in with a good observation.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... d-mitchell
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Thanas wrote:David Mitchell wades in with a good observation.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... d-mitchell
As much as it is an indictment on Cameron, he's not making much of an argument for staying beyond 'I fear the unknown'.

It's almost as if he's begging for a religion, but isn't getting one.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Cameron has twice used referendums to undermine and collapse the opposition.

The vote reform one undermined the lib dems, and cut off risk of vote reform for a decade, cutting ukip and the greens out of the future equations.

The scottish one, by allowing it to go as close as it did, forced scottish labour to spend their political capital on it. they ended up standing on the same stage as the loathed cameron, resulting in a sinkhole in the scottish labour vote at the general election. Labour are percieved as traitors to be punished.

That landslide of mps to the scottish national party meant Cameron won a majority in the following general election. Ukip got twice as many votes as the snp, but only gained one seat to 56. See that first referendum killing vote reform.

so. Who is he destroying with this one? Possibly ukip, altough theyve survived a lot of media attention already and the true believers wont be swayed. More likely its to ruin the eurosceptic tories, expebd their energy and crush them at a popular vote they cannot argue with. Why? Without an opposition left on the outside, time to purge his allies.
Who is cameron's successor?

The only thing of note us that murdoch wants a brexit, and cameron is going agsinst his wishes. Unless they expect it to come down in murdoch's favour, terrifying though that is.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I'm coming around to the idea that since the main contenders for succession in the Tories are Boris, Gideon and Gove, who are, to be blunt, so toxic that a potato would be more viable a candidate, that the 1922 Committee are likely to swallow their own vomit and anoint Theresa May. Still terrible for different reasons, but she has been keeping herself to herself in the current bedlam.

I honestly cant think of any other higher-up Tories they might find who could keep the party together. Not that I want them to, mind.....
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Okay, I had to google to discover Gideon meant Osborne.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Sorry, I've been reading too much Private Eye.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

madd0ct0r wrote:Cameron has twice used referendums to undermine and collapse the opposition.

The vote reform one undermined the lib dems, and cut off risk of vote reform for a decade, cutting ukip and the greens out of the future equations.

The scottish one, by allowing it to go as close as it did, forced scottish labour to spend their political capital on it. they ended up standing on the same stage as the loathed cameron, resulting in a sinkhole in the scottish labour vote at the general election. Labour are percieved as traitors to be punished.

That landslide of mps to the scottish national party meant Cameron won a majority in the following general election. Ukip got twice as many votes as the snp, but only gained one seat to 56. See that first referendum killing vote reform.

so. Who is he destroying with this one? Possibly ukip, altough theyve survived a lot of media attention already and the true believers wont be swayed. More likely its to ruin the eurosceptic tories, expebd their energy and crush them at a popular vote they cannot argue with. Why? Without an opposition left on the outside, time to purge his allies.
Who is cameron's successor?

The only thing of note us that murdoch wants a brexit, and cameron is going agsinst his wishes. Unless they expect it to come down in murdoch's favour, terrifying though that is.
If that's Cameron's tactic, its a damn dangerous game he is playing. It could very well go the opposite direction and end up with him resigning.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well he's claimed he'll stay even if he loses. If that's actually possible with Boris sharpening the back-knives is another matter.

Been listen to the Leave/Remain. Broadcasts on Radio 4. The Leave one is actually better. Very good at emphasising it's message. But then it's easier to make 'FREEEDOM!' sound better than 'everything's basically fine as it is'. My folks took a great dislike to the cheery voice of the remain broadcast.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

A question for all the British guys here. How is the mood now? What do you think the results will be?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Very mixed. The Out side is very loud, so it can often feel like it's a done deal. All the guys I've chatted with about it have been unsure about the outcome.

The Government are treating it like an election so have put alot of decisions or announcements back, as an unofficiall state of Purdah has been declared by the treasury, so there's not much else to talk about!

I did see the Spanish PM made an intervention today - I'm kind-but-not surprised Merkel hasn't said much yet, but I guess she has bigger fish to fry.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I think Merkel giving any advice to Britain could only be a gain for the Out vote, and Merkel isn't that stupid. She knows that she is the biggest boogie(wo)man they parade around.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Given how almost the entire British tabloid press is firmly in favor of leaving, I can't see how any "advice" from Merkel would be well received.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

....and just as I say that, here is Merkel:
The Merkel wrote:You will never get a really good result in negotiations, particularly on very important issues, when you're not in the room and giving input.

I personally hope and wish that Britain will stay part and parcel of the European Union.

We work well together with the United Kingdom, particularly perhaps when we talk about new rules for the European Union.

We have to develop those together with the United Kingdom and whenever we negotiate that, you can much better have an influence on the debate when you sit at the bargaining table and you can give input into those negotiations.

The result will invariably be better when you have that, rather than being outside of the room.

– Angela Merkel
------------
------------
My LPs
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

While I understand the advantages of remaining in an economic union, I fail to see why Britain needs to be in a poltical union as well. There are plenty of countries which have free trade agreements which are not joined at the hip poltically and they seem to do just fine. The only reason the EU would refuse to negotiate with the UK would be out of spite, there's nothing stopping them from actually working out a deal. IMO that would be a better option for everyone as the EU may continue its march to ever closer union without the UK interference.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Tribble wrote:While I understand the advantages of remaining in an economic union, I fail to see why Britain needs to be in a poltical union as well. There are plenty of countries which have free trade agreements which are not joined at the hip poltically and they seem to do just fine. The only reason the EU would refuse to negotiate with the UK would be out of spite, there's nothing stopping them from actually working out a deal. IMO that would be a better option for everyone as the EU may continue its march to ever closer union without the UK interference.
The EU wants to take the financial market. Frankfurt and Paris have been pushing for it since a long time.

But the more interesting thing: Every nation that has the comprehensive free trade agreement the UK would want have to abide by all the UK Laws and regulations anyway. Ask the Swiss and Norway. So this woulld do nothing for Britain if they want to get rid of EU laws.
------------
------------
My LPs
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Thanas wrote:
Tribble wrote:While I understand the advantages of remaining in an economic union, I fail to see why Britain needs to be in a poltical union as well. There are plenty of countries which have free trade agreements which are not joined at the hip poltically and they seem to do just fine. The only reason the EU would refuse to negotiate with the UK would be out of spite, there's nothing stopping them from actually working out a deal. IMO that would be a better option for everyone as the EU may continue its march to ever closer union without the UK interference.
The EU wants to take the financial market. Frankfurt and Paris have been pushing for it since a long time.

But the more interesting thing: Every nation that has the comprehensive free trade agreement the UK would want have to abide by all the UK Laws and regulations anyway. Ask the Swiss and Norway. So this woulld do nothing for Britain if they want to get rid of EU laws.
That's not necessarily true as both Canada and the US are in the process of signing free trade agreements with the EU, and neither were required to join in a political union. Again there is nothing preventing the EU from coming to a similar arrangement except if they refused to out of spite.

There is also a pretty big difference between Norway and Switzerland, IIRC Norway is required to adopt regulations that fall under the EEA, while Switzerland negotiates treaty changes on a case by case basis. Between the two of them Switzerland is considerably more control over the process than Norway does.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I'm catching up on a lot of this, but sweet titty fucking is the Remain camp (ergo Project Fear) a fucking shambles. When Nigel Farrage out maneuvours you in a debate I can see why you led your party from its zenith to its nadir Mr Clegg. What moronic, idiotic and half baked arguments this prick was using. I'm an EU nation living in the UK and listening to him make a fool of himself against Farrage; I'd vote to leave!

Fucking hell.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Tribble wrote:That's not necessarily true as both Canada and the US are in the process of signing free trade agreements with the EU, and neither were required to join in a political union.
That shit only exists because the US used its superpower position to bully Europe into accepting its shitty standards and goods. Were it some minor nation that "trade agreement" (CETA and TTIP) wouldn't fly.

If Britain wants to degrade its standards of labour protection, environmental protection and the rest, it is free to do so outside the EU. But I sincerely hope that neither TTIP nor whatever half-assed "agreement" an out-of-Europe Britain can come up with will never ever succeed.

The agreements are not ratified, and hopefully will never be.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Wolfgang Schäuble has said there will be no single market access for the EU after they vote to leave.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... auble-says
------------
------------
My LPs
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Thanas wrote:Wolfgang Schäuble has said there will be no single market access for the EU after they vote to leave.

If, man. If we vote to leave,
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I saw the 2hr debate on ITV last night and it was far from boring, I found it strange that someone who campaigned for Scottish independence on one hand and yet was in favour of remaining in the EU. She and the other vote remain group wasted no time in going after the lie painted on the side of Boris' Battle Bus

Julie Etchingham did a great job of maintaining order, it seemed like she was more like an air traffic controller this time around :lol:
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:I saw the 2hr debate on ITV last night and it was far from boring, I found it strange that someone who campaigned for Scottish independence on one hand and yet was in favour of remaining in the EU.
Europe probably tends to impose fewer things the SNP is actively against (Alex Salmond is on the record as thinking Scotland needs more immigrants, for example), not to mention provides a lot of regional development funding that Scotland -and the North of England- sorely needs.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Zaune wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:I saw the 2hr debate on ITV last night and it was far from boring, I found it strange that someone who campaigned for Scottish independence on one hand and yet was in favour of remaining in the EU.
Europe probably tends to impose fewer things the SNP is actively against (Alex Salmond is on the record as thinking Scotland needs more immigrants, for example), not to mention provides a lot of regional development funding that Scotland -and the North of England- sorely needs.
Right enough, we see in the news a lot of English cities complaining about immigrants. Whether it's a similar story in Scotland, only the Scots can say. All I know is that in England we don't see any Scots complaining about immigrants.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:Wolfgang Schäuble has said there will be no single market access for the EU after they vote to leave.

Rightly so. Who the hell needs a second Switzerland? Enough trouble with the first one already.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali