Romney's gay relations as governor

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Romney's gay relations as governor

Post by FaxModem1 »

Link

< Back to front page Text size – +
News, Politics
Romney a wimp? Not so much, say gays who engaged with him as governor
Print | Comments (4) Posted by Jim Lopata September 11, 2012 01:10 PM

Note: The following story is adapted from the September/October 2012 issue of Boston Spirit magazine.

By Scott Kearnan

It was 2004, after the Supreme Judicial Court had cleared the way for same-sex couples to obtain marriage licenses in Massachusetts. Governor Mitt Romney remained a roadblock, endorsing a constitutional amendment that would ban it.

Julie Goodridge and other plaintiffs in the landmark case had written a letter to the governor, asking for a meeting. He ignored it, so they staged a press conference at his office to read the letter to the media. That, finally, got them through his door. Once inside, they were shocked.

For about 20 frustrating minutes, say those in attendance who Boston Spirit interviewed recently, they shared their stories, pled their case, and tried to explain how equal marriage would protect them and their families. Romney sat stone-faced and almost entirely silent.

“Is there anything else?” Romney asked when they finished. With that, the meeting was over.

“It was like talking to a robot. No expression, no feeling,” recalls David Wilson, one of the plaintiffs in the case who met with Romney that day. “People were sharing touching stories, stories where you’d expect recognition in the other person’s face that they at least hear what you’re saying — that there’s empathy. He didn’t even shake his head. He was completely blank.”

Occasionally Romney would say something.

“I didn’t know you had families,” remarked Romney to the group, according to Wilson.
The offhanded remark underscored that Romney, the governor of the first state prepared to grant same-sex marriage, hadn’t taken the time to look at what the landmark case was really about. By this point the plaintiff’s stories had been widely covered by national media — in particular, Julie Goodridge’s heartrending tale of how her then-partner, Hillary, was denied hospital visitation following the precarious birth of daughter Annie. It was the ignorance of these facts — and Romney’s inaccurate, insensitive answer to her parting question, that pushed Julie Goodridge to her breaking point.

“I looked him in the eye as we were leaving,” recalls Goodridge. “And I said, ‘Governor Romney, tell me — what would you suggest I say to my 8 year-old daughter about why her mommy and her ma can’t get married because you, the governor of her state, are going to block our marriage?’”

His response, according to Goodridge: “I don’t really care what you tell your adopted daughter. Why don’t you just tell her the same thing you’ve been telling her the last eight years.”

Romney’s retort enraged a speechless Goodridge; he didn’t care, and by referring to her biological daughter as “adopted,” it was clear he hadn’t even been listening. By the time she was back in the hallway, she was reduced to tears.

“I really kind of lost it,” says Goodridge. “I’ve never stood before someone who had no capacity for empathy. It went behind flat affect. It was a complete lack of ability or motivation to understand other people.”

While Goodridge cried, Romney brought the press into his office to give his take on the meeting.

He described it as, “Pleasant.”

‘HE COMPLETELY LACKS EMPATHY’

Romney has often been characterized as a flip-flopper, a stiff suit, and an out-of-touch elitist. That’s not news. And he’s been a disappointment on LGBT issues — that’s clear, as well. The man who promised he’d be “better than Ted [Kennedy] for gay rights” during his 1994 senate race now opposes equal marriage and even civil unions — which in 2012, are increasingly seen as a compromise position.

But less explored is how Romney’s personality intersected with his policies on LGBT issues. How did he treat gay couples when his back was against the wall on same-sex marriage in Massachusetts? How did he rationalize dismissing well-regarded LGBT government officials during his governorship? Why did he deny important anti-bullying resources to queer youth? The answers, it seems, are: Poorly. He didn’t. And because he wanted to.
Speaking with those locally who had experience knowing, meeting with, or working with Romney, a few commonly held perceptions emerge. Perhaps the most common is that Romney seems generally disinterested in others, and has trouble connecting with anyone unlike him — whether in terms of lifestyle, economic class, or sexuality. Some share stronger words.

“He completely lacks empathy,” says Goodridge, speaking this time about her own experience meeting the governor.

Romney and the dissolution of the Governor’s Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth
That lack of empathy plays out in Romney’s tendency to gloss over incidents that are distressing to the gay community. Take the time he tried to dismantle the Governor’s Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth. The Commission, established in 1992 by Republican Governor William Weld, was intended to specifically address youth-related issues like anti-gay harassment and teen suicide. Its work, which included teacher trainings and supporting community drop-in centers, became a model for similar organizations nationwide.

At first Romney seemed as though he’d be an ally to the Commission, says Kathleen Henry, who chaired the Commission during Romney’s administration. Romney released official proclamations recognizing Youth Pride, and in his inauguration expressed the importance of defending civil rights regardless of, among other things, sexual orientation.
“I opened almost every meeting reading that [passage from Romney’s inauguration], like it was a prayer,” recalls Henry. “I’d say, ‘This is what our governor believes.’”

Then in May 2006, Henry got a phone call from Romney’s chief of staff. A Commission press release touting the Youth Pride parade had been sent out on stationery that included the governor’s name in its sidebar. This placed Romney’s name on the same page as the word “transgender.” He was not happy. He was going to shut down the Commission. Just like that. The end.

Henry’s heart sank. Suicide prevention programs, support for Gay-Straight Alliances (GSA), training administrators to establish “safe school” practices for gay youth — all of that was “flashing before my eyes,” says Henry, who was only hours away from a Commission fundraiser at the Omni Parker House when she received the call. Luckily, political allies leapt to the Commission’s defense, and within hours Romney reversed his order to dismantle the group. In response, Henry worked with the Massachusetts Legislature to hurriedly create the Massachusetts Commission on GLBT Youth, which would exist independent of the governor’s office.

Once that was established, Romney dismantled the original Commission as a redundancy. Then something strange happened. Henry’s phone rang again, it was Romney himself calling, and the tone was very different.

“It was the only time I had received a call from him,” recalls Henry. “He said he wanted to personally express his gratitude, to thank me for my service, and to make sure we understood it was a redundancy now for the Commission to exist.” There was no mention that, only months earlier, he had planned to eliminate that very commission because his name was on its press release.

“It was as if nothing had happened,” says Henry. “When he was done with his lovely speech, I thanked him and said, ‘Governor, this is very gentlemanly of you.’ It kind of took his breath away, the tone in my voice.”

“He knew I was shaking my head as if to say, ‘Who are you?’”

ROMNEY AND THE STONEWALLING OF THE ANTI-BULLYING GUIDE

Later that month, Romney’s administration attempted to squash another youth-oriented effort over inclusive language: the publication of a 120-page anti-bullying guide for public schools. The guide had already endured one setback, in 2003, when Romney de-funded the Governor’s Task Force on Hate Crimes, which was responsible for the guide. Activist Don Gorton, who continued to work on the report anyway, approached an enthusiastic Commission on GLBT Youth for $10,000 in production costs, and he authored a seemingly final version by May 2006.

Then, another blow: word from the administration that the anti-bullying guide would suddenly need to undergo a significantly more extensive review process. That was the excuse given at the time, says Gorton. But what was the real reason? Newly unearthed e-mails between officials at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health show that the administration objected to the words “bisexual” and “transgender” in certain passages of the anti-bullying guide.

Gorton eventually saw the anti-bullying guide to eventual publication. Ten thousand copies of an updated version were released in 2008 under Governor Deval Patrick’s administration.

Gorton connects Romney’s obstructionist stance toward the anti-bullying guide with other bullying incidents tied to the former governor. This includes The Washington Post’s recent revelations of Romney’s own role in bullying. Allegations that during his prep school days, Romney held down a gay classmate and forcibly cut his bleached hair – worn in a fashion deemed effeminate — while classmates cheered. Romney has publicly stated that he doesn’t remember the incident, while simultaneously apologizing for any “dumb mistakes” made in his school days.

“It knocked the wind out of me,” says Gorton on hearing the story of Romney’s bullying tale.

ROMNEY AND HIS COURTING OF GAY REPUBLICANS

The story from Romney’s schoolyard days echoed another incident that Gorton once observed in an adult Romney. It was at a 2003 fete held by the Log Cabin Republicans, a group for LGBT Republicans, to honor William Weld, recalls Gorton. Romney was politely greeted by one of the attendees, who remarked that it was good to see the increasingly scarce governor at a Log Cabin event. Gorton can’t recall the governor’s exact response, but he recalls Romney making a limp-wrist motion and replying with an affected stereotypical lisp. This was, assumed Gorton, an attempt to be funny and charming. It seemed more like unintended evidence that Romney’s sense of appropriateness hadn’t much evolved since his prep school days.

Romney’s fervent aversion to even mere mentions of transgender issues, and the revealing excerpts from his personal biography, make clear that Romney has an especially strong problem with non-traditional gender expression, say those who have had dealings with him over the years. That’s consistent with a more general observation that he seems either unable or unwilling to connect on an interpersonal level with those who are unlike him. Which is consistent, remark observers, with Romney’s behavior of being willing to align himself — at least when it was politically advantageous during political campaigns — with Log Cabin Republican-type groups, where leadership positions are often held by white males who could “pass” as straight in casual social settings.

“He seemed more uncomfortable with the fact that people might be drinking wine than that they were gay,” recalls Michael Motzkin, former president of the Massachusetts Log Cabin Republicans. Motzkin says that while he is disappointed that some of Romney’s social policies aren’t where they should be, he never sensed that the former governor had a strong personal issue with his gayness. In fact, Romney supported Motzkin in his unsuccessful 2004 campaign for state representative. Romney publicly endorsed Motzkin (and another openly gay candidate, Richard Babson), fundraised for him, and even appeared with Motzkin on a mail piece.

And in contrast to his meeting with Julie Goodridge, David Wilson, and the other plaintiffs in Massachusetts’ landmark equal marriage case, it was in a meeting with prominent LGBT Republicans during his gubernatorial run that Romney showed at least some sympathy for the equal marriage movement — though for reasons that are telling on their own.
The meeting was at Dedo, a now-closed gay piano bar in Bay Village, recalls Josh Friedes, who was invited to attend as advocacy director for the Massachusetts Freedom to Marry Coalition. (He’s now a director at Equal Rights Washington.) At the meeting, attendees shared with Romney personal stories that emphasized the need for equal marriage. It’s the emotional appeal of such stories that are usually most effective at swaying hearts and minds, says Friedes. But Romney was unmoved by them. “I came away with the realization that he simply did not see gay and lesbian families as being similar to his family, and was not able to draw analogies between experiences,” recalls Friedes.

Yet economic concerns like tax inequalities and inheritance issues did seem to concern Romney. “He made clear that he was willing to listen to business leaders about the issue of family recognition,” says Friedes. “The impression was that if business leaders told him certain benefits and protections would increase the productivity of gay workers, he would be open to supporting those. … It was not really about what these protections would do for gay families, but what they would do for the titans of industry.”

The inference was “almost crass,” says Friedes. Though he says he’s not sure Romney intended to be offensive. “It felt like there was a lord/serf relationship,” remembers Friedes.

ROMNEY AND THE GAYS WITH WHOM HE WORKED

Many of those who served under Romney’s feudal system aren’t exactly keen to relive their experiences. Boston Spirit reached out to a number of other former and current government officials who worked under the governor’s administration, as well as several prominent gay Republicans who supported Romney political campaigns at various points. Most were unwilling to comment on their experiences, some alluding that they were tainted by elements of homophobia they’d rather not revisit — or that they feared burning bridges that could jeopardize their livelihoods.

“It would be great if more people would ask Mitt Romney to be accountable, but people tend to weigh the pros and cons of that. And when the cons are your career and public perception, you understand why people don’t,” says Ardith Wieworka.

But Wieworka will. She spent eight successful years as commissioner of the state’s Office of Child Care Services under multiple Republican governors. By all accounts well-liked and highly regarded by the constituents she served, Wieworka was very publicly fired two years into Romney’s term as governor. At the time, the administration offered conflicting reasons for her dismissal. A clear reason never emerged. So what had happened to explain her firing?

Quite possibly, it was a May 2004 announcement that Wieworka would soon marry her partner, Carol Lyons, following the arrival of equal marriage in Massachusetts. During this time Romney was in D.C., courting conservatives on the national stage by decrying what was happening in his home state.

“As an out lesbian for a very long time in state government, it was an uncomfortable position to have the leader of your state testifying so vehemently against basically who you are,” says Wieworka. Over the summer, she was fired.

The following year a second woman, Katherine Abbott, former commissioner of the Department of Conservation and Recreation, was also asked to resign shortly after marrying her female partner — ostensibly over “poor shoveling.” Abbott didn’t respond to interview requests.

The 2012 resignation of Romney spokesperson Richard Grinnell — who was essentially forced out following anti-gay backlash and with little defense from his boss — bears shades of similarity to the ousting of Wieworka.

Wieworka has declined to comment to national press about her experience with the Romney administration. But she thought it was important to speak to Boston Spirit. Was she fired for being gay? For wedding her partner while her boss was actively trying to distance himself from any endorsement of the equal marriage movement? That’s hard to prove, Wieworka knows. But she feels it in her bones, and believes it to be so. And she’ll never forget what, upon her firing, she was told by the administration.

They said they wanted someone more “like them,” she says. [x]
Nothing that's surprising about him, but it bears reading.
Last edited by Dalton on 2012-09-12 09:31am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Dress your links
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Romney's gay relations as governor

Post by Ralin »

I actually find this really disturbing. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention as much as I should have, but I've always seen Romney as an amoral guy who wants power and money and really doesn't have much in the way of strong beliefs when it comes to anything else. This makes him seem like a sociopath and it's more than a little chilling.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Ralin wrote:I actually find this really disturbing. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention as much as I should have, but I've always seen Romney as an amoral guy who wants power and money and really doesn't have much in the way of strong beliefs when it comes to anything else. This makes him seem like a sociopath and it's more than a little chilling.
I doubt he's a sociopath. I've long suspected Romney has autistic tendencies, and this seems to confirm that far more than silly accusations of sociopathy.

EDIT - Remember that sociopaths usually tend to be extremely good at blending in and "faking it"; they develop social skills just as easily if not easier than everyone else. Autistics, on the other hand, appear to lack empathy precisely because they are unable to develop social skills and external warmth and sociability.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I think the far more likely explanation is a medical condition called being an asshole. He just doesn't care about people who aren't similar enough to him.

You don't need any special psych problems to be a dick you just need to not give a shit.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Frankly, I'm not surprised at all.

While I didn't go to Cranbrook (the private school Romney attended) I knew people who did, and for part of my schooling lived in the same area. The anti-gay mood approached hysteria at times. I was beaten up and excluded socially at times merely for being related to a homosexual, what actual homosexuals experienced was completely hellish, and bad as it was in the public schools it may well have been worse in the private ones. When this form of bullying was brought to the attention of authorities the response was "well, what do you expect to happen when you tolerate a pervert in your own family?" That level of anti-gay was seen as normal and natural, perfectly acceptable. THAT's the climate in which Romney grew up, as one of the elite (he was, after all, the governor's son for a number of years, and a former governor's son the rest).

So no, I'm not shocked by his complete inability to relate to "lesser" human beings, or his anti-homosexuality bigotry. While some of us overcome that environment he would have had no reason to, given that he was on the top in such a status quo.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

It is really easy not to empathize with someone when you do not think of them as human beings.

"I didn't know you had families" says everything. As if we are some race of pod-people grown from rainbow colored egg plants.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

This is why I wonder Murcans even bother trying with the presidential elections anymore. Both are shitheads and will fuck you over in some form or another. Why don't you stop pretending that one of them is better then the other and realize that both are not suitable candidates for good long-term leadership, no matter what they say?

Or better yet, if you could do so without significant bloodshed and/or suffering, why not kick them both off the continent and say "No, fuck you, Mr. Romney/Obama!"

But seriously. Please give me a detailed list of reasons why you are even trying to vote, asides from making sure that you get the person you want, and the person who will fuck you over less/in a more recoverable fashion than the rest. I really want to know what is your reasoning behind this.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

KhorneFlakes wrote:This is why I wonder Murcans even bother trying with the presidential elections anymore. Both are shitheads and will fuck you over in some form or another. Why don't you stop pretending that one of them is better then the other and realize that both are not suitable candidates for good long-term leadership, no matter what they say?

Or better yet, if you could do so without significant bloodshed and/or suffering, why not kick them both off the continent and say "No, fuck you, Mr. Romney/Obama!"

But seriously. Please give me a detailed list of reasons why you are even trying to vote, asides from making sure that you get the person you want, and the person who will fuck you over less/in a more recoverable fashion than the rest. I really want to know what is your reasoning behind this.
That's a pretty black-and-white assessment of the two candidates. Neither of them are perfect candidates but one clearly much, much worse for the country than the other.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

KhorneFlakes wrote:But seriously. Please give me a detailed list of reasons why you are even trying to vote, asides from making sure that you get the person you want, and the person who will fuck you over less/in a more recoverable fashion than the rest. I really want to know what is your reasoning behind this.
  • Civic duty.
  • Because I'm not a petulant teenager.
  • Because I think Obama is a solid candidate. I am not the sort of person who threatens to hold his breath or throw a hysterical fit because a political leader isn't a Shining Beacon of Truth.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

From the point of view of gay rights advocates, Obama has actually been a pretty good president, I'd think. He's not fighting all-out for everything he can get for LBGT, but he's probably accomplished about as much as they can get without severe short term backlash.

Pushing really fast with reforms can backfire. Something like that happened with Roe v. Wade, in my opinion. Because the Supreme Court overturned abortion bans at a time when the vast majority of states (and probably the majority of Americans) favored a ban, it triggered a negative response. A lot of people whose opinion might have changed gradually over time instead wound up radicalized by the idea that 'big government' was trying to impose immoral rules on them.

There will always be a population of total bigots, who can only be ignored and bypassed. But up to that limit, it makes a lot more sense to allow for gradual changes of opinion than to try and make the heart of darkness change overnight.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

It is true that Obama appears to be a better candidate. I'm just hoping that he doesn't go batshit before his term ends and he ends causing more trouble. TBH....Obama is somewhat respectable in someways, but Gitmo, drones-related crap, and his views on his family have removed my belief that Obama doesn't want some kind of power.

I just want to see America not burn, and overcome the dominance of bigots, and as a nod to what BCG said, I don't believe in Shining Beacons of Truth. And really, I think I should reassess my previous statement. I've held a severe view of most politics for a long time now - what I seen has convinced me that most politicians barely qualify as trustworthy.

But really, I didn't state the "kick them off the continent" part properly. It didn't sync with what I intended to say. It doesn't actually represent my beliefs either, OK? I'll have a think about it and come back to it later.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Addendum: Do I seem to be backpedaling here?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

KhorneFlakes wrote:Addendum: Do I seem to be backpedaling here?
Why don't you stop pretending that one of them is better then the other and realize that both are not suitable candidates for good long-term leadership, no matter what they say?
It is true that Obama appears to be a better candidate.
A bit.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Thank you for telling me. I'm not at my best right now. I should stop.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Your first statement was clearly speaking from an emotional source. The next few were a reassessment based on rational thinking. There's actually nothing wrong with that in my opinion. It actually shows an ability to temper emotional responses with reason, which is a sign of maturity. "Reassessment" is not the same as "backpedaling" except in small minds.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Post by Saxtonite »

KhorneFlakes wrote:But seriously. Please give me a detailed list of reasons why you are even trying to vote, asides from making sure that you get the person you want, and the person who will fuck you over less/in a more recoverable fashion than the rest. I really want to know what is your reasoning behind this.
I wanted to vote for Ron Paul due to his extremely anti-war and anti-government meddling in private affairs policies. Now he's pretty much not an option, I'll vote for whatever green candidates out of 'protest vote' as pretty much as you said both candidates are the same side of the same bullshit.
KhorneFlakes wrote:It is true that Obama appears to be a better candidate. I'm just hoping that he doesn't go batshit before his term ends and he ends causing more trouble. TBH....Obama is somewhat respectable in someways, but Gitmo, drones-related crap, and his views on his family have removed my belief that Obama doesn't want some kind of power.
Drones, surveillance state policies, NATO, etc. What has he stated about his family though which was questionable?
"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

I need the find the exact source for that, but Obama, in a book he wrote goes on and on about his father at some point, calling him the "n-word" and calling him a traitor. I don't remember the exact quote, but it's really creepy and shows that Obama displays disturbing behavior to people he doesn't like.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

KhorneFlakes wrote:I need the find the exact source for that, but Obama, in a book he wrote goes on and on about his father at some point, calling him the "n-word" and calling him a traitor. I don't remember the exact quote, but it's really creepy and shows that Obama displays disturbing behavior to people he doesn't like.
Why don't you do that, because that sounds like something a Foxbot made up.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

Dalton wrote:
KhorneFlakes wrote:I need the find the exact source for that, but Obama, in a book he wrote goes on and on about his father at some point, calling him the "n-word" and calling him a traitor. I don't remember the exact quote, but it's really creepy and shows that Obama displays disturbing behavior to people he doesn't like.
Why don't you do that, because that sounds like something a Foxbot made up.
Apparently it's from Dreams of My Father. And it wasn't in reference to his father, it was in reference to his paternal grandfather; who was a collaborator with the British in Kenya. And who, if the source is accurate, said shit along the lines of: "How can the African defeat the white man, when he cannot even make his own bicycle?" and "The white man is always improving himself, while the African is afraid to try anything new."

Massive Disclaimer: I don't own the book, and the only sources I could find from google are a bunch of racist websites and Fox News, so, who knows if it's actually true.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

From pages 785-788 of the Nook version:
I asked Granny how old she had been when she married our grandfather. The question amused her so much that she repeated it to Dorsila, who giggled and slapped Granny on the leg.
“She told Dorsila that you wanted to know when Onyango seduced her,” Auma said.
Granny winked at me, then told us she had been just sixteen when she married; our grandfather was a friend of her father’s, she said. I asked if that had bothered her, and she shook her head.
“She says that it was common to marry an older man,” Auma said. “She says in those days, marriage involved more than just two people. It brought together families and affected the whole village. You didn’t complain, or worry about love. If you didn’t learn to love your husband, you learned to obey him.”
At this point, Auma and Granny began to speak at length, and Granny said something that again made the others laugh. Everyone except Auma, who stood up and began to stack the dishes.
“I give up,” Auma said, exasperated.
“What did Granny say?”
“I asked her why our women put up with the arranged marriages. The way men make all the decisions. The wife-beating. You know what she said? She said that often the women needed to be beaten, because otherwise they would not do everything that was required of them. You see how we are? We complain, but still we encourage men to treat us like shit. Look at Godfrey over there. You think, when he hears these things Granny and Dorsila have said, that this won’t affect his own attitudes?”
Granny couldn’t understand the precise meaning of Auma’s words, but she must have caught the tone, for her voice suddenly became serious.
“Much of what you say is true, Auma,” she said in Luo. “Our women have carried a heavy load. If one is a fish, one does not try to fly—one swims with other fish. One only knows what one knows. Perhaps if I were young today, I would not have accepted these things. Perhaps I would only care about my feelings, and falling in love. But that’s not the world I was raised in. I only know what I have seen. What I have not seen doesn’t make my heart heavy.”
I leaned back on the mat and thought about what Granny had said. There was a certain wisdom there, I supposed; she was speaking of a different time, another place. But I also understood Auma’s frustration. I knew that, as I had been listening to the story of our grandfather’s youth, I, too, had felt betrayed. My image of Onyango, faint as it was, had always been of an autocratic man—a cruel man, perhaps. But I had also imagined him an independent man, a man of his people, opposed to white rule. There was no real basis for this image, I now realized—only the letter he had written to Gramps saying that he didn’t want his son marrying white. That, and his Muslim faith, which in my mind had become linked with the Nation of Islam back in the States. What Granny had told us scrambled that image completely, causing ugly words to flash across my mind. Uncle Tom. Collaborator. House nigger.
I tried to explain some of this to Granny, asking her if our grandfather had ever expressed his feelings about the white man. Just then, Sayid and Bernard emerged, groggy-eyed, from the house, and Zeituni directed them to the plates of food that had been set aside for them. It wasn’t until they had settled down to eat, and Auma and the neighbor’s girl resumed their positions in front of the older women, that Granny returned to her story.
As usual, it's taken out of context.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

In other words, KhorneFlakes is remembering a complete fucking bullshit fabrication worthy of Andrew Breitbart himself.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Hmm, not sure. The article you found definitely wasn't the thing I read, but I can't find it. I'll think I will drop the Obama part. I can't find the source.