Shooting incident, part 321. Empire State Building.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

OneEyedTeddyMcGrew
Youngling

Shooting incident, part 321. Empire State Building.

Post by OneEyedTeddyMcGrew »

Breaking news:
Several people reportedly shot at Empire State Building; gunman shot by police. More details soon...
Is there something in the water over in the States at the moment?

EDIT: A slightly more detailed report.
Several people shot outside Empire State Building
The Associated Press
Published: Friday, Aug. 24, 2012 - 6:35 am
Last Modified: Friday, Aug. 24, 2012 - 6:41 am
NEW YORK -- New York City officials say several people have been shot outside the Empire State Building and that the gunman is dead.

City police say three or four civilians have been wounded in the Friday morning shooting and that the shooter is dead.

A fire department spokesman says it received a call about the shooting just after at 9 a.m. Friday and that emergency units were on the scene within minutes.

The spokesman had no information about how many people were wounded or their conditions.

The shooting occurred at 34th Street and Fifth Avenue.
"It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence, to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: "And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!"
Andras
Jedi Knight

Re: Shooting incident, part 321. Empire State Building.

Post by Andras »

19 people were shot overnight in Chicago, with 8 at one time. Where is your outrage for that?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 9779.story
OneEyedTeddyMcGrew
Youngling

Post by OneEyedTeddyMcGrew »

Because, for whatever reason, it didn't make the papers over here.
"It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence, to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: "And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!"
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Andras wrote:19 people were shot overnight in Chicago, with 8 at one time. Where is your outrage for that?

So what you're saying is you're being a petty fuckstick because he posted one story and not the other?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

None of those shot were killed, either. But don't let facts get in the way of Faux Outrage.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

General Zod wrote:
Andras wrote:19 people were shot overnight in Chicago, with 8 at one time. Where is your outrage for that?

So what you're saying is you're being a petty fuckstick because he posted one story and not the other?

Since violent crime is rising in Europe and falling in the US, maybe I should ask what's in the water over there?

http://www2.dse.unibo.it/zanella/papers/crime-EP.pdf
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Andras wrote:
General Zod wrote:

Since violent crime is rising in Europe and falling in the US, maybe I should ask what's in the water over there?

http://www2.dse.unibo.it/zanella/papers/crime-EP.pdf
Translation: "Stop posting stories about shootings, I can't clean my gun, masturbate, and post horseshit at the same time!"

Didn't we have this discussion last week?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

Hah, the gunman shot one person, and the police shot 9:

from CNN:
[Updated at 11:26 a.m. ET] A gunman fatally shot a former coworker in the head outside the Empire State Building Friday morning before he was killed by police officers, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

The suspect, 53-year-old Jeffrey Johnson, was a "disgruntled former employee" of a company located inside the Empire State Building, Kelly said. As he tried to flee the scene, a construction worker alerted two police officers, who pursued him down 33rd Street, Kelly said.

Johnson pulled a .45 caliber gun on the approaching police officers but it not clear if he actually shot any rounds as police opened fire on him, Kelly said.

Nine people were wounded or grazed in the crossfire, Kelly said.

"Some may have been accidentally shot by police officers," Kelly said.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Andras wrote:Hah, the gunman shot one person, and the police shot 9:

from CNN:
[Updated at 11:26 a.m. ET] A gunman fatally shot a former coworker in the head outside the Empire State Building Friday morning before he was killed by police officers, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

The suspect, 53-year-old Jeffrey Johnson, was a "disgruntled former employee" of a company located inside the Empire State Building, Kelly said. As he tried to flee the scene, a construction worker alerted two police officers, who pursued him down 33rd Street, Kelly said.

Johnson pulled a .45 caliber gun on the approaching police officers but it not clear if he actually shot any rounds as police opened fire on him, Kelly said.

How is that funny, exactly? Unless you're a psychopath, I mean.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

It's more Ironic than Funny, honestly. :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Actually it is sorta funny in a dark gallows humor kinda way. But I'm also a sociopath so you know...hard to tell.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Andras wrote:Hah, the gunman shot one person, and the police shot 9:

They don't know which of the nine was hit by cops, and it probably isn't all of them.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

Welcome to America. Enjoy our weekly mass shootings.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Mass shooting doesn't seem like a very applicable term to me. It implies that the shooter shot at multiple people, who weren't cops. This asshole only shot one person before the cops arrived, and started a firefight with him. We don't even know if he shot at the cops. If he didn't then it's 1 person shot by this guy, and 10 by the cops.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

True, but I was also taking into account the shootings in chicago. With reports coming in that the "empire state bldg" shooter carrying an extra clip makes me wonder if he didn't intend to go down taking more than just his ex-co worker.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Max wrote:True, but I was also taking into account the shootings in chicago. With reports coming in that the "empire state bldg" shooter carrying an extra clip makes me wonder if he didn't intend to go down taking more than just his ex-co worker.
Doesn't necessarily mean he was going to start blowing away random bystanders. Maybe he was just planning to fight his way past the first police response and lose himself in the crowd while they called for backup.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

So, who's going to fund the NYPD when citizens shot by trigger-happy cops sue them down to the nails in the floorboards?
Truth fears no trial.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Tanasinn wrote:So, who's going to fund the NYPD when citizens shot by trigger-happy cops sue them down to the nails in the floorboards?
The NYPD will just say the cops had a right to use deadly force and blah blah blah unsung heroes.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

General Zod wrote:

Let's be fair, the only reason this got news coverage is because it happened in front of an important building as opposed to somewhere in the Bronx.

The fact is that ~10 times as many people have died in gun crimes over petty reasons in the same space as these so called mass shootings have killed. Probably many more times that have died in car accidents because of massive driver stupidity.

But these aren't sensational news stories to poor outrage against so they are largely ignored, even though they should be very important in discussing the prevalence of crime and death in the U.S.

See, the thing is that this is the same kind of shoddy tactics that the right uses, posting sensational stories meant to raise the hackles of the target audience and allow them to spew out spleen against whatever the constructed boogeyman is. At least the right has the decency to let the puppet masters pull the strings, the left seems to invite its outrages without this necessity. Being on what you think is the more moral side does not mean that shitty thought practices become less shitty.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Dark Hellion wrote: Let's be fair, the only reason this got news coverage is because it happened in front of an important building as opposed to somewhere in the Bronx.
If only that actually had anything to do with what I posted.
But these aren't sensational news stories to poor outrage against so they are largely ignored, even though they should be very important in discussing the prevalence of crime and death in the U.S.

See, the thing is that this is the same kind of shoddy tactics that the right uses, posting sensational stories meant to raise the hackles of the target audience and allow them to spew out spleen against whatever the constructed boogeyman is. At least the right has the decency to let the puppet masters pull the strings, the left seems to invite its outrages without this necessity. Being on what you think is the more moral side does not mean that shitty thought practices become less shitty.
Or you could grow up and stop whining about which story someone decides to post? Frankly you sound like a massive whiny crybaby right now.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

General Zod wrote:
Dark Hellion wrote: Let's be fair, the only reason this got news coverage is because it happened in front of an important building as opposed to somewhere in the Bronx.
If only that actually had anything to do with what I posted.

Or you could grow up and stop whining about which story someone decides to post? Frankly you sound like a massive whiny crybaby right now.
Seriousely. And again, did we not have this exact same fucking conversation last week with you dumb cunts being told to fuck off?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Anyway, NBCNews.com is now reporting that all bystanders shot were shot by cops. So this becomes a story despite it happening in front of an important building as opposed to somewhere in the Bronx.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

So I am the whiny crybaby because I think that political discussion should be about more than simply jumping on the next sensationalized media story that points outs my preconceived notions and wailing at it with faux outrage? Both the things I pointed out have been pointed out in the past by such raving gun nuts as Broomstick and Mike Wong, where was this same vitriol for them?

I find it sad that the fact that I would like those of similar political beliefs to hold themselves to a higher standard of political discourse than the opponents they deride somehow makes me part of a conspiracy of gun masturbaters (hint, I don't own a gun and haven't fired one in over 15 years). It also ironically proves my point about mirrored tactics, this being the construction of a strawman other to rail against as opposed to actually looking at what the opponent is saying.

And important to note is that a completely different poster pointed this out than the last time. So unless Lonestar and Andras are engaged in some conspiracy together this should have given some pause that maybe there was some substance to at least examine in why these dissents were made. But that requires one to assume that people who disagree with them may have valid reasons to do so and not that they are some simply dismissable fuck-suffix.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Dark Hellion wrote:So I am the whiny crybaby because I think that political discussion should be about more than simply jumping on the next sensationalized media story that points outs my preconceived notions and wailing at it with faux outrage? Both the things I pointed out have been pointed out in the past by such raving gun nuts as Broomstick and Mike Wong, where was this same vitriol for them?

I find it sad that the fact that I would like those of similar political beliefs to hold themselves to a higher standard of political discourse than the opponents they deride somehow makes me part of a conspiracy of gun masturbaters (hint, I don't own a gun and haven't fired one in over 15 years). It also ironically proves my point about mirrored tactics, this being the construction of a strawman other to rail against as opposed to actually looking at what the opponent is saying.

And important to note is that a completely different poster pointed this out than the last time. So unless Lonestar and Andras are engaged in some conspiracy together this should have given some pause that maybe there was some substance to at least examine in why these dissents were made. But that requires one to assume that people who disagree with them may have valid reasons to do so and not that they are some simply dismissable fuck-suffix.
I was under the impression that hijacking a thread to talk about your own pet issue was frowned on and against the rules. Silly me.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Beowulf wrote:Mass shooting doesn't seem like a very applicable term to me. It implies that the shooter shot at multiple people, who weren't cops. This asshole only shot one person before the cops arrived, and started a firefight with him. We don't even know if he shot at the cops. If he didn't then it's 1 person shot by this guy, and 10 by the cops.
10 innocent bystanders shot by cops qualifies as a "mass shooting" in my book.
Dark Hellion wrote:So I am the whiny crybaby because I think that political discussion should be about more than simply jumping on the next sensationalized media story that points outs my preconceived notions and wailing at it with faux outrage? Both the things I pointed out have been pointed out in the past by such raving gun nuts as Broomstick and Mike Wong, where was this same vitriol for them?
I'm a gun nut now? ::: Looks at favorite crossbow. Sighs. Says goodbye to old friend....::::

Does this mean no more throwing hot tar off the roof, then? :P

But more seriously – Hellion does have a point in that this happening in front of a famous building in a wealthy part of New York City has a LOT to do with this getting national and global time in the media. Andras said as much as well in this thread, yet no one jumped on his ass. As OneEyedTeddyMcGrew pointed out, the 19 people shot overnight in Chicago didn't make the national/global news even if they were every bit as much human beings and suffered just as much pain. Hell, that didn't make the local news over here in a neighboring county!

Now why is that? That's one of the questions that should be raised when discussing crime, violence, guns, and so forth. But I guess we have to listen to Flagg be a poo-flinging potty mouth first.

Yes, the fact the NYC shooting was in front of the Empire State Building really does factor into why this was regarded as Big News by the media. For the most part US society doesn't give a fuck if poor people or brown people are shot dead in the street, or while sitting in their living rooms. The folks in and around the Empire State Building? They might be important, so it's news.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice