US Think Tank Slams Germany's NATO Role

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: US Think Tank Slams Germany's NATO Role

Post by Thanas »

HMS Conqueror wrote:Not anymore anyway. The problem I think is Germany still doesn't fundamentally share the values of the liberal West, but no longer has the strength to act out.
Okay, asshat. You will now explain in detail what values the liberal west has and why Germany would want to act out but doesn't for a lack of strength.
Irbis wrote: Um, care to explain what you think was wrong with Libya exactly? Have you preferred Syria/Bahrain scenario, or am I not getting something here?
The thing is that in Libya we have so far replaced one tribe with another. The torture/shadow executions etc are still going on, now it is just the other side torturing the loosers. I am not much in favor of expending treasure and blood on another decades-long reconstruction program, which is what we ideally should do there but cannot due to the cost and us doing another one right now, and I am not in favor of this half-assed "replace bad guy 1 with bad guy 2 and pretend everything will be better" thing that is now going on there in Libya right now.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Maybe he means that Germans haven't quite yet managed to convince the world of the value of a diet of bier, würst, sauerkraut and asparagus.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Thanas wrote:I am not much in favor of expending treasure and blood on another decades-long reconstruction program, which is what we ideally should do there but cannot due to the cost and us doing another one right now, and I am not in favor of this half-assed "replace bad guy 1 with bad guy 2 and pretend everything will be better" thing that is now going on there in Libya right now.
I haven't been too impressed with "reconstruction" programs following invasions over the past half century or so. In fact, the last ones I can recall working with any sort of success were the immediate post-WWII ones - arguably, the circumstances at the time were unusual and thus the results were (happily) atypical.
Colonel Olrik wrote:Maybe he means that Germans haven't quite yet managed to convince the world of the value of a diet of bier, würst, sauerkraut and asparagus.
Hey! My family has been eating that stuff for a couple generations now!

(We blame Grandpa Rausch....)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

I pity your bathroom, and the washrooms of the German public.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Aaron MkII wrote:I pity your bathroom, and the washrooms of the German public.
After a few years, your stomach gets used to handling it. Oh, and our washrooms are highly efficient.

Still waiting for HMS Conqueror to explain himself. Maybe he, like his avatar, took a dive?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

What the hell is that?

He probably buggered off. Don't share western values most likely means "doesn't want to invade the filthy arabs"
HMS Conqueror
Crybaby

Post by HMS Conqueror »

For some time Germany was in effect a colony of the victors of WWII. Now that that is fading away, I don't see Germany enthusiastically becoming part of the Western Alliance, just withdrawing into itself. The same cannot be said for France, which may have opposed Iraq but still intervened against Gaddafi and which still maintains a powerful military force to protect its interests.

Germany seems to see its future more as a political puppeteer within the EU, and as in the past an economic rival to America through control of a large continental European trade bloc.

It should be obvious that HMS Conqueror is surfaced in my avatar btw, or else it would not be much to look at.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

But these aren't liberal values but strategic interests and rivalry. Two countries can share humanistic values and still be strategic competitors.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

HMS Conqueror wrote:For some time Germany was in effect a colony of the victors of WWII.
Colony? That is a bit too much. It is not as if the allies got a lot out of it either.
Germany seems to see its future more as a political puppeteer within the EU, and as in the past an economic rival to America through control of a large continental European trade bloc.
Kane Starkiller wrote:But these aren't liberal values but strategic interests and rivalry. Two countries can share humanistic values and still be strategic competitors.
^what he said.
------------
------------
My LPs
HMS Conqueror
Crybaby

Post by HMS Conqueror »

But these aren't liberal values but strategic interests and rivalry. Two countries can share humanistic values and still be strategic competitors.
I don't see what's humanistic about refusal to help in Libya. I also think the 'trade war' conception of the world is fundamentally illiberal. Liberal states have no cause to be rivals.
Colony? That is a bit too much. It is not as if the allies got a lot out of it either.
Arguably the colonial powers didn't get much out of their other colonies either. It was at the very least a satellite state, with the arrangement getting less formal as time went on.

Although in this case I'd argue that NATO got a lot out of Germany: a large contingent of divisions to put against the Soviets, that otherwise would have had to be provided by the US, Britain and France. The Soviets got a worse deal, partly because they got less of Germany, and partly because of the broken socioeconomic system they imposed.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Yes they did, spices out of India and sugar, coffee and simple fruit from central/south America was worth a lot of money.
HMS Conqueror
Crybaby

Post by HMS Conqueror »

Although this belongs in a different thread, the Empires also drained a lot of resources, from obvious military costs to enormous human and resource attrition in the age when there were no antibiotics and shipwrecks were common. They also did not tend to share in the industrialisation of the European mainland, due to the bad institutions that were either imposed or retained from before colonisation.

Part of this is a private gain/public loss issue - military costs were covered out of tax, while the benefits could be kept by shareholders.

Put it this way - in 1945 Britain was the still unbeaten record holder for largest Empire in history. In 1965, it had only a tiny scrap of territory. Yet the standard of living in Britain increased in this time, and military expenses decreased.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

HMS Conqueror wrote:Although this belongs in a different thread, the Empires also drained a lot of resources, from obvious military costs to enormous human and resource attrition in the age when there were no antibiotics and shipwrecks were common. They also did not tend to share in the industrialisation of the European mainland, due to the bad institutions that were either imposed or retained from before colonisation.

Part of this is a private gain/public loss issue - military costs were covered out of tax, while the benefits could be kept by shareholders.

Put it this way - in 1945 Britain was the still unbeaten record holder for largest Empire in history. In 1965, it had only a tiny scrap of territory. Yet the standard of living in Britain increased in this time, and military expenses decreased.
So? Nobody talks about the modern age, they talk about the enormous wealth Britain gained from its colonies. It is only due to exploiting colonies that Britain does not speak French today.
HMS Conqueror wrote: I don't see what's humanistic about refusal to help in Libya. I also think the 'trade war' conception of the world is fundamentally illiberal. Liberal states have no cause to be rivals.
Just because a state happens to have different priorities does not mean they are not sharing values. As for the whole "liberal states have no cause to be rivals", child, please. USA/Britain were rivals until WWI, as were France and Britain, or Imperial Germany and Britain.
HMS Conqueror wrote: It was at the very least a satellite state, with the arrangement getting less formal as time went on.
What is your evidence for it being a satellite state? EDIT: I agree that up until the early fifties it definitely was an occupied state, but post that I think it was more of a case of junior partner.
------------
------------
My LPs
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Thanas wrote:What is your evidence for it being a satellite state?
You're one of those people who insists on asking a question even in the face of compelling evidence that you really, really aren't going to like the answer, aren't you.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Zaune wrote:
Thanas wrote:What is your evidence for it being a satellite state?
You're one of those people who insists on asking a question even in the face of compelling evidence that you really, really aren't going to like the answer, aren't you.
Maybe?
------------
------------
My LPs
HMS Conqueror
Crybaby

Post by HMS Conqueror »

Thanas wrote:
HMS Conqueror wrote:Although this belongs in a different thread, the Empires also drained a lot of resources, from obvious military costs to enormous human and resource attrition in the age when there were no antibiotics and shipwrecks were common. They also did not tend to share in the industrialisation of the European mainland, due to the bad institutions that were either imposed or retained from before colonisation.

So? Nobody talks about the modern age, they talk about the enormous wealth Britain gained from its colonies. It is only due to exploiting colonies that Britain does not speak French today.
I'd be happy to discuss this in another thread. I think that you are not right if you think the British naval supremacy in the Napoleonic Wars came from its colonies, though.
HMS Conqueror wrote:I don't see what's humanistic about refusal to help in Libya. I also think the 'trade war' conception of the world is fundamentally illiberal. Liberal states have no cause to be rivals.
Just because a state happens to have different priorities does not mean they are not sharing values. As for the whole "liberal states have no cause to be rivals", child, please. USA/Britain were rivals until WWI, as were France and Britain, or Imperial Germany and Britain.
Neither Imperial Germany nor France were liberal at those times (or IG at any time for that matter). A US-UK war was at least conceivable, but I'm not sure who would argue it is desirable, or that it would have had cause.
HMS Conqueror wrote: It was at the very least a satellite state, with the arrangement getting less formal as time went on.
What is your evidence for it being a satellite state? EDIT: I agree that up until the early fifties it definitely was an occupied state, but post that I think it was more of a case of junior partner.
Well yes apart from the four years where Germany was directly administered by an allied military government, it was not allowed to join the UN until 1973 and did not have a fully independent foreign policy until the Treaty on the Final Settlement with Respect to Germany in 1990 (compare with Japan, which still may not form alliances without the approval of the US). For the time being it remains occupied by NATO troops, though it is not called that in polite company.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

HMS Conqueror wrote:I'd be happy to discuss this in another thread. I think that you are not right if you think the British naval supremacy in the Napoleonic Wars came from its colonies, though.
There's a positive feedback loop there. Owning colonies (and having foreign trade interests in the Mediterranean and India that grew into colonies) gave the British a reason to have a strong navy. Having a strong navy meant the British could secure their colonies against other European powers, and take other powers' colonies more or less at will (as in the Caribbean). By the time of the Napoleonic Wars, the process had been going on so long that the idea of saying "colonies caused naval superiority" makes as much sense as saying "naval superiority caused colonies."

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Note that the British lost their colonial empire within a few decades of the time when the greatest threat to the security of a colony went from being "other European powers" (which they could keep at bay with a navy) to being "local resistance movements" (which they couldn't).
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

HMS Conqueror wrote:I'd be happy to discuss this in another thread. I think that you are not right if you think the British naval supremacy in the Napoleonic Wars came from its colonies, though.
It were these colonies which allowed Britain to compete with a country that had a larger population in the first place and which allowed them the resources to build that navy as well as to survive the continental system Napoleon had set up.

Neither Imperial Germany nor France were liberal at those times (or IG at any time for that matter).
Imperial Germany had better literacy, national healthcare and equal and direct representation in General parliamentary elections. As well as a greater equality for its minorities like the Jews. None of which apply to Britain. France also had a fairer system of parliamentary election - no rotten boroughs there.
A US-UK war was at least conceivable, but I'm not sure who would argue it is desirable, or that it would have had cause.
Which doesn't matter at all when proving your original point as false.
Well yes apart from the four years where Germany was directly administered by an allied military government, it was not allowed to join the UN until 1973 and did not have a fully independent foreign policy until the Treaty on the Final Settlement with Respect to Germany in 1990 (compare with Japan, which still may not form alliances without the approval of the US).
In what practical terms did this really matter? I might also point out that Germany, with the Hallstein doctrine, was able to force the western allies to not recognize the GDR.
For the time being it remains occupied by NATO troops, though it is not called that in polite company.
Lolwut?
------------
------------
My LPs
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

The troops that were there to keep the Reds out? Which has since turned into oppurtunities for joint training and a way for the Yanks to funnel money into their MIC?

Man its like this guy is Stuart Slades younger mentally disabled half brother.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Okay, you know what, I'm just going to cut right to the chase before this becomes any more excruciating to watch.

HMS Conquerer, are you intentionally insinuating that Germans have some kind of ingrained cultural and/or genetic propensity towards autocracy and/or world domination? Like, do you believe real Germans have to exert conscious effort not to hold their right arm out in front of them at a slight angle, and constantly stop themselves addressing people in authority over them as "mein Fuhrer"?

And yes, I know I'm exaggerating your position. But not by much.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

It seems to me naive to think that the Western Allies' troops were originally stationed in West Germany solely to counter the Red Army. For some time after World War II, they had to be an army of occupation as well as a geopolitical chess piece against the Soviets. But to call them an army of occupation *now* is, I think, equally naive: the US is not constraining Germany's decisions with them.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

The dogged insistence of a particular group of people that Germans were inherently evil and that their civilization was fundamentally flawed, even before WW1, and oriented toward aggression, and somehow different from the rest of Europe in the 19th century... All of which are demonstratably false, and yet nonetheless held as absolute tenets; were the primary reasons me and several other people ceased to associate with that group. There is a school in the US and Britain which holds that there is, more or less, something in German culture which makes them uniquely violent and dangerous to world peace. It was created by propaganda in WW1 and it is completely false. The British were just as much aggressors and the Germans trapped in an untenable situation by Russian aggression toward Austro-Hungary over the Slavic question. This noxious doctrine, and I'd not really care to debate it yet again after so many years of doing so, is essentially the evil opposite of America as an "exceptional" nation in the world and stems from the same source.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

How closely associated is it with the stereotype that Germans are all sticklers for following rules?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

This is the first I've heard of it.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The dogged insistence of a particular group of people that Germans were inherently evil and that their civilization was fundamentally flawed, even before WW1, and oriented toward aggression, and somehow different from the rest of Europe in the 19th century... All of which are demonstratably false, and yet nonetheless held as absolute tenets; were the primary reasons me and several other people ceased to associate with that group. There is a school in the US and Britain which holds that there is, more or less, something in German culture which makes them uniquely violent and dangerous to world peace. It was created by propaganda in WW1 and it is completely false. The British were just as much aggressors and the Germans trapped in an untenable situation by Russian aggression toward Austro-Hungary over the Slavic question. This noxious doctrine, and I'd not really care to debate it yet again after so many years of doing so, is essentially the evil opposite of America as an "exceptional" nation in the world and stems from the same source.
I've seen this sort of sentiment repeated ad nauseum by Brits and others on far too many forums for me to count, and it pisses me off to no end either...