French are rudest, most boring people: British poll

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

theski
Sith Marauder

French are rudest, most boring people: British poll

Post by theski »

Fight....
LONDON (AFP) - The French have been voted the world's most unfriendly nation by a landslide in a new British poll published. They were also voted the most boring and most ungenerous.
A decisive 46 percent of the 6,000 people surveyed by travellers' website Where Are You Now (WAYN) said the French were the most unfriendly nation people on the planet, British newspapers reported.

The Germans have no to reason to celebrate the damning verdict. They came second on all three counts.

WAYN's French founder, Jerome Touze, told the papers he had been stunned by the thumping condemnation of his compatriots and sought to blame it on Gallic love-struck sulking.

"I had no idea that the French would emerge as such an unfriendly country," he said.

"I think our romantic 'moodiness' is misunderstood and I will be sure to pass on the message to my family and friends back in France to be a bit more cheerful to tourists in the future."

Italy was voted the world's most cultured nation with the best cuisine, while the United States was named the most unstylish with the worst food.

The British did not feature in the top 10 of any of the categories.

"The British fit in nowhere -- good or bad. It appears that we are so completely average that the voters did not include us in any category," the tabloid Daily Express commented.

"And to our shame, four percent of respondents -- all British of course -- said they would only talk to other Britons when they are abroad."

This unwillingness to talk to the locals appears to go hand in hand with respondents' perceptions of foreigners.

While most said Spain was the foreign country where they would most like to live, they said the Spaniards were nearly as unfriendly and ungenerous as the French.

To add insult to injury, British newspaper The Daily Telegraph put the boot in on Saturday by saying in an editorial that the French stank.

"The French may like to think that Chanel No 5 is their scent but we all know that garlic and stale Gitanes are much more representative."
Yahoo
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Worst food? Of course this poll is from Britain, where they make toast by boiling the bread. :roll:
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Really? I certainly don't recall that particular one, though I certainly wouldn't touch black pudding.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Yeah, really...

... :lol:
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Jesus, what the hell? When I went to Germany, I thought they were the nicest people I ever met. The English were all right too, but c'mon!
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Well, what are the French going to do about it? :D
Darth Mortis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Mortis »

CarsonPalmer wrote:Well, what are the French going to do about it? :D
Most likely say the Brits are jealous of their fish eye soup and stale cigarette breath and move on....

Or, as always, they can call the USA and have them "help out" only to spit on they are freed from the "insult" at hand.

:roll:
Tis but a flesh would- The Black Knight
Mobius
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobius »

Nothing, of course!
that propaganda from the jealous anglo-saxon!

(i'm still wondering how Paris can still be a top tourist destination,....)
XET360 belgian news for Xbox 360
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Mobius wrote:(i'm still wondering how Paris can still be a top tourist destination,....)
Irregardless of the people, it still has a reputation as a damn beautiful city.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Brits calling the French the worst in something? Next thing the article will be saying is the Earth is not the center of the universe!

Really, this strikes me as dead end news day for that particular journalist :P .
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Mobius
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobius »

but the people are really a downturn: as a french living abroad, staying in Paris is painful: the price are crazy compared to Belgium and the superiority feeling of the inhabitants is unbearable (but they will be the first to shit on France in private, but when with an Auslander they are really evertyhing else is crap compared to our town)
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

What's that old saying? Hell is a place where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, the drivers are Belgian and everything is organized by Italians.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Heaven is a Chinese chef, an English home, an American salary, and a Japanese wife. Hell is an English chef, a Japanese home, a Chinese salary, and an American wife.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

To me this is just more proof of the family feel of Europe. I mean, I am the first to mock my brother and take the piss but only I am allowed to do that. If an American was to slate the French to me I would defend them, though I do love picking holes in our local rivals.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Elfdart wrote:Yeah, really...
Yeah, the toast was normal toast. But never trust anything if the English refer to it as pudding, as I discovered. Yuck.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Yeah, the toast was normal toast. But never trust anything if the English refer to it as pudding, as I discovered. Yuck.
Yorkshire pudding is entirely trustworthy. Steak and kindey pudding is lovely, although maybe not what you would have expected from something called pudding. Bread and butter pudding is one of the nicest deserts you can find if it's made well. Sticky toffy pudding can be half as dense as a cannon ball, but it's tastes good.

We have lot's of nice things called pudding. It's hardly our fault if you go and order black pudding. :D
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Prozac the Robert wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:
Yorkshire pudding is entirely trustworthy. Steak and kindey pudding is lovely, although maybe not what you would have expected from something called pudding. Bread and butter pudding is one of the nicest deserts you can find if it's made well. Sticky toffy pudding can be half as dense as a cannon ball, but it's tastes good.

We have lot's of nice things called pudding. It's hardly our fault if you go and order black pudding. :D
I didn't. I knew better, but a friend dared me to try some after he made the mistake. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Sofia
Padawan Learner

Post by Sofia »

My family had a trip planned to France around the time the whole "freedom fries" thing was all over the news, and the French were actually friendly to them, miraculously enough. One man went out of his way to welcome them to the country and assured them that he didn't lump in all Americans with American administration and policy.
Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you? (Walt Whitman)

"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." (Tom Stoppard)

Still here I carry my old delicious burdens/I carry them, men and women, I carry them with me wherever I go/I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them/I am fill'd with them, and I will fill them in return. (Whitman)
Antares
Padawan Learner

Post by Antares »

I really wonder why the Brits dont think the Germans are the worst.
You know because we still have Hilter here and all happily living our
NAZI life.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Antares wrote:I really wonder why the Brits dont think the Germans are the worst.
You know because we still have Hilter here and all happily living our
NAZI life.
Well if they hated all Nazis then they'd have to lump in Prince HArry too wouldn't they? ;-)
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Gandalf wrote:
Mobius wrote:(i'm still wondering how Paris can still be a top tourist destination,....)
Irregardless of the people, it still has a reputation as a damn beautiful city.
Paris is one of the most beautiful and magical cities in the world. The only problem is that it's full of French people.

Great for a vacation, but wouldn't ever want to live there.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

While I was touristing, and trying like hell to stay out of everyone's way what with being at the bottom of the food chain and all, the few French I met made me wonder what they had got in their britches to give them such a mood, whereas the few Germans I met were polite and personable. Mileage may vary, I suppose.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Whoa whoa whoa...

...you mean to tell me that the British are talking smack on the French and Germans and calling them rude and boring? HOLY SHIT! Stop the presses! Convene the UN and get them on this totally unprecendented, new event in the history of Europe! :shock:
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Mobius
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobius »

Simplicius wrote:While I was touristing, and trying like hell to stay out of everyone's way what with being at the bottom of the food chain and all, the few French I met made me wonder what they had got in their britches to give them such a mood, whereas the few Germans I met were polite and personable. Mileage may vary, I suppose.
L'Exception Culturelle my dear :p
Isana Kadeb
BANNED

Post by Isana Kadeb »

Gil Hamilton wrote:Whoa whoa whoa...

...you mean to tell me that the British are talking smack on the French and Germans and calling them rude and boring? HOLY SHIT! Stop the presses! Convene the UN and get them on this totally unprecendented, new event in the history of Europe! :shock:
Hehe, me thinking the same thing. Brits (more specifically the English) just love to whine about the French and Germans, the revelation isn't exactly earth-shattering news.