That's a Cat all right

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

That's a Cat all right

Post by Mr Bean »

How to begin this story hmm.
Lets just say that the complex I live in has an issue with stray cats, owners leaving have a bad habit of simply chucking cats when they leave the apartments for some other apartment place that does not allow pets (Our units have a very liberal pet policy). I see someone walking a dog almost any time of day when going to my car and I see at least one cat lounging in a window of every other townhouse. The area is rich in wildlife (We have a big 1000 acre woodland behind the Apartments so Deer wander through the parking lots from time to time) and thus hunting for the stray cats, not only that but people feed them.

Recently the management has been cracking down on those feeding stray's because while at first it was the odd thing it's gotten to the point those in my building were leaving water dishs and food bowls for the five stray cats we had visiting our building daily. One of the cats in particular seemed to like lounging on the step and I'd stop to pet it every once in awhile coming in or going out, the others came and left but this one stayed around the building most of the day (I'm guessing it was left by one of the people who've moved out in the last six months.)

And now today this

Yes that's the Cat this story is based off, and the reason why it's in my apartment is simple.
I was informed by someone close to me that since she could not keep feeding said cat on the side that I would be adopting the cat and yesterday I was gifted with a litter box, about a month supply of cat food and the cat in question.

Aside from taking the cat to the vet to give it a checkup, flea bathing it and all that good stuff shortly there is one thing I need.

A name
This is your chance Internet, if this were a dog I'd have a dozen names to hand but one would fit a cat.
Further details about said cat, it's been de-clawed at some point and has spent it's last two days either demanding to be petted, sleeping on my bed/couch or windowsill.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Re: That's a Cat all right

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Andromeda, Righteous Fist of the Heavens. :lol:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Temeraire.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I'm going to have to start asking for pronunciation guides with these names

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Mr Bean wrote:I'm going to have to start asking for pronunciation guides with these names
Um... Teh-Muh-rare... does that help any?

Look here: http://french.about.com/od/vocabulary/g/temeraire.htm
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Andromeda, Righteous Fist of the Heavens. :lol:
As much as I love that show, I doubt Bean wants to name his cat after an AI/warship. Though Rommie might work....

Heh. Call it Natasha. I like russian names for cats and this one is not taken by any warship.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Name it Testing.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Thanas wrote:Heh. Call it Natasha. I like russian names for cats and this one is not taken by any warship.
Hey, there are no warships currently named Temeraire...

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Do you know its gender yet?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

barnest2 wrote:
Thanas wrote:Heh. Call it Natasha. I like russian names for cats and this one is not taken by any warship.
Hey, there are no warships currently named Temeraire...
Yeah, but temeraire is male/adjective iirc and the cat is female.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Thanas wrote: Yeah, but temeraire is male/adjective iirc and the cat is female.
Point me to where it says that?

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Thanas wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:Andromeda, Righteous Fist of the Heavens. :lol:
As much as I love that show, I doubt Bean wants to name his cat after an AI/warship.
I liked the show too, but I only suggested it because it sounded incredibly grandiose.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

barnest2 wrote:
Thanas wrote: Yeah, but temeraire is male/adjective iirc and the cat is female.
Point me to where it says that?
Isn't it just the Frenchified version of "temerarious"? Which itself just means bold, rash or reckless? Not really male or female.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

temerarious is the english version of the french adjective, yes.
------------
------------
My LPs
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I vote for Xtapolapocetl ((Ex-tapo-lapo-kettle'))
The (simpsons) Olmec god of War
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Thanas wrote:temerarious is the english version of the french adjective, yes.
Aren't they both just versions of the original Latin word? *smug*
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Quetzalcoatl.
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Dastot Lesastcatten
「かかっ―」
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Or just call him "Gato" (pronounced "gatoo")
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Call it Dawg.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Top 40 Cat Names For Boys - (by popularity)

Max
Sam
Tigger
Tiger
Sooty
Smokey
Lucky
Patch
Simba
Smudge
Oreo
Milo
Oscar
Oliver
Buddy
Boots
Harley
Gizmo
Charlie
Toby
Jake
Sebastian
Puffy
Bailey
Buster
Tom
Rocky
Jack
Felix
Spike
Simon
Taz
Rusty
Merlin
Monty
Dusty
Casper
Mittens
Pepper
Blackie
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

:|
Okay so lets review suggestions to date

Andromeda, Righteous Fist of the Heavens.
Quetzalcoatl
All of Havok's suggestions

Temeraire
Natasha
Rommie

So three possible suggestions
As far as the cat's gender it's "fuzzy" at the moment because the cat is still settling in at the moment and is not in the mood to under go any exams at the moment but the claim is that the cat is male which I tend to believe.

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Chaucer. I have never seen a cat named after the guy and dammit, he deserves to have the honor!
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Thin cats should have egyptian names...
Like Nefertiti (Titi for short) or Set.
Had a neighbour who had used to call his cat Tutsie, which yes was a male cat named Tutankamon but i digress...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:
Thanas wrote:temerarious is the english version of the french adjective, yes.
Aren't they both just versions of the original Latin word? *smug*
Yeah, but the French version was a couple of centuries first. *is smugger*

Bean, if the cat is male, I suggest naming it Bismarck. Or Otto.
------------
------------
My LPs