Santorum "will never have the smart on his side"

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Santorum "will never have the smart on his side"

Post by FaxModem1 »

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/15/s ... -our-side/
Santorum: ‘Smart people will never be on our side’
By David Ferguson
Saturday, September 15, 2012 13:52 EDT
Print
Share on facebookShare on redditShare on diggShare on twitterShare on farkShare on stumbleupon480

Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum (AFP)
Topics: Gov. Mitt Romney ♦ rick santorum ♦ The Republican Party

In a speech to the Values Voter Summit on Saturday, former presidential candidate Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA) marked out the media and “smart people” as permanent enemies of the Republican Party, according to BuzzFeed.

“We will never have the media on our side, ever, in this country,” he said. “We will never have the elite, smart people on our side.”

Antipathy toward “the media” is a common theme among conservatives, with recent grousing from the campaign to elect former Gov. Mitt Romney (R-MA) blaming the press and its supposed liberal bias for its candidate’s ongoing failure to best the president for any substantial length of time in any national polling.

Santorum also dinged the libertarian wing of the Republican Party, saying, “When it comes to conservatism libertarian types can say, oh, well you know, we don’t want to talk about social issues. Without the church and the family, there is no conservative movement, there is no basic values of America.”
Whoops.

Chirios
Jedi Knight

Re: Santorum "will never have the smart on his side"

Post by Chirios »

Greatest Santorum quote ever imo.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Chirios wrote:Greatest Santorum quote ever imo.
The guy is a walking stupid quote machine, so I'll disagree with you on the basis of the sheer amount of BS he says every day.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

...he cited the church and the family as the primary institutions to promote values. He dismissed the "smart" as an intellectual elite that the conservative movement would forever oppose.
So let's not pop the champagne, he just proposed a strategy of breeding in opposition to logic. He's actually right and we're seeing it today, conservatives are impossible to reason with because they are so thoroughly indoctrinated by those primary social institutions NOT to listen to reason, and to value their faith heritage over education. This is so not amusing.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

He's sorta right, if we're willing to dismiss Fox's claims of being actual journalists. Otherwise he's mostly confirming my suspicion that the brain of an average voter, underconnected as it is, sees a false correlation between stupidity and honesty.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Tomzilla
Youngling

Post by Tomzilla »

There was both resentment and condemnation when he said 'smart'. So if asked to explain himself further, he'd probably say, "Well, I personally don't think they're smart, that's just how they see themselves, and shame on them for thinking that way!" Which is still idiotic.

Yet another crazed Republican catering to the ignorant, misinformed masses. Believe me, as an educator in this country, seeing this shit inspires me to work harder in educating the next generation.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

He reached rock-bottom about the time he almost called President Obama a nigger on live TV, stopping himself at the last second and proving that in addition to being a bigot he is a coward. (There's a thread on it N&P somewhere if you don't remember this one.)

It appears this has prompted him to go out and lease some drilling equipment.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Santorum is just tossing out the used up line that anyone who is "Smart" should be distrusted and ignored.
They have brainwashed a generation into thinking that NOT Going to college and higher education is the mark of a ''real" American. That by doing so you are indoctrinated into filthy liberal ideas. Which to a degree is true.

The more educated you are the more you are able to regect the blatant lies of the far right. Santorum isn't saying anything new, he just said it in a bit more open way then most have in the past.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Santorum is just tossing out the used up line that anyone who is "Smart" should be distrusted and ignored.
He's hardly alone in that - I recall Hillary Clinton spouting the same sort of nonsense when the "experts" were telling her that her one day petrol tax holiday wouldn't work.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

This "gaffe" really isn't very funny, considering that his massive audience is likely to respond very favorably to it. He's reaching out to evangelicals, who have a strong tradition of anti-intellectualism rooted in the Bible itself:

1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness";

and...

1 Corinthians 1:20
Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

Santorum is appealing to a two-thousand year old tradition, commonly emphasized among evangelical circles today, that the intellectuals of this world, the smart people, are just too wrapped up in their own heady ideas to be able to see the plain, simply truth of God's wisdom.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

What plain, simple truth? It's pretty obvious that these people have never actually tried to read the Bible... nothing plain, nothing simple, and very little truth in there.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I want to see this quote get torn apart in an episode of The Newsroom -_-.
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Post by Saxtonite »

Zaune wrote:He reached rock-bottom about the time he almost called President Obama a nigger on live TV, stopping himself at the last second and proving that in addition to being a bigot he is a coward. (There's a thread on it N&P somewhere if you don't remember this one.)
I don't.. Can someone please link it to me.

EDIT: LOL found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtaV6Pj ... ure=fvwrel

still useful to see the thread
"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here