Tea Party Head Fired After Facebook Joke About Killing Gays

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Tea Party Head Fired After Facebook Joke About Killing Gays

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

LINK
Montana Tea Party president Tim Ravndal has been fired after making Facebook jokes about the murder of Matthew Shepard in a posting denouncing same-sex marriage and the ACLU. Ravndal's Facebook friend: "I think fruits are decorative. Hang up where they can be seen and appreciated. Call Wyoming for display instructions.” Ravndal responded: "Where can I get that Wyoming printed instruction manual?" The Montana Tea Party issued this statement announcing Ravndal's firing:

We are extremely disappointed by Mr. Ravndal’s commentary. The discussion in that Facebook conversation is entirely outside the position of the Big Sky Tea Party. Even though Mr. Ravndal was having a personal conversation and made no reference to our group, we felt strongly that swift and decisive action was required as we cannot accept that sort of behavior from within our membership, let alone from an officer of the corporation.
Its a short squib to be sure and I am surprised I have not see this in any other news networks.
I would say that I am surprised that this idiot got fired for his comments, except that I'd bet the people who fired him feel the exact same way, but are smart enough not to say so.

In truth however this incident is just one more bit of evidence to show that, yes, much of the far right actually ARE bigots and homophobes. The Far Right goes of its way to paint progressives as a bunch of chicken-littles shouting "RACIST!! HOMOPHOBE!" at every opportunity. As is so often the point, they fail to realize we do it because, more often then not, it is true.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: Tea Party Head Fired After Facebook Joke About Killing G

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:I would say that I am surprised that this idiot got fired for his comments, except that I'd bet the people who fired him feel the exact same way, but are smart enough not to say so.
I'm not. The teabaggers go out of their way not to blatantly look like racist homophobic Jesusstani jackasses; in spite of the fact that's exactly what they are. It's one thing to blow dog-whistles that will make other teabaggers give a wink and knowing nod. It's quite another thing to come out and out-and-out assert racist homophobic Jesusstani jack-assery in public.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

This isn't even close to over. People have resigned in protest of his being fired. There remains a real possibility he will be returned to his position. I will keep an eye on this in the local papers.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Please do keep us updated, especially if this shows up in any local news websites we can link back to.

Its sht like this that I love to throw at Tea Party people who give me the whole "It is only a few bad apples" nonsense whenever I point out the rampant racisim involved in the organization.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Missoulian
HELENA - A Montana tea party association's board will reconsider kicking its president out of the group for an anti-gay exchange on Facebook after several members resigned over his dismissal, a board member said Wednesday.

The Big Sky Tea Party Association board of directors will vote on reinstating Tim Ravndal's membership, most likely Monday, after a rancorous meeting on Tuesday night in which several people defended Ravndal, according to board member and former association president Roger Nummerdor.

*Exceprt*
Click the link to get the whole article.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Thanks for posting that Aly, have to say was not too surprised to see they are thinking about putting him back on the job after things. Reading the whole article I started to see a few tell tale signs of the classic far right bigot, especially the following.
Ravndal has apologized and said he did not make the connection between the Facebook exchange and Shepard's death.
Is anyone else utterly sick of people doing this? The whole, "I didn't KNOW it was offensive/directly linked to something offensive"

I mean really, he is joking about "hanging up the fruits" in Wyoming. Exactly what else could he possibly be talking about? If he wants to hounestly say he did NOT KNOW about Shepards death, does that mean he just randomly jokes about hanging Gay people in Wyoming?
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Wait, what? How big a stupid is he that he thinks that he can say he didn't make the connection with what he said and Matthew Shepherd when referred to "hanging fruits" and referring to Wyoming for details?

It really says something that the Tea Party is still debating whether to keep him after not only making those comments but transparantly lying about it.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

The really depressing part is that he could very well really *be* that ignorant and just likes to make jokes about killing gay people. I mean is it that unlikely that he's just an ignorant, stupid homophobe?
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Makes you wonder why even the teabaggers would want to keep someone THAT ignorant and tactless around though. Even they should have some sort of standard.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

This shows the true face of a significant power behind the Tea Party movement. Those in charge and pushing the movement are not moderates, they are extremists. And they tend to agree with this man.

Superboy
Padawan Learner

Post by Superboy »

It's not entirely impossible that he really didn't make the connection to Shepard but it sure is strange that he would riff off a line about Wyoming without wondering why Wyoming was mentioned. I read the comments without knowing anything about Shepard, let alone what state it happened in, but just reading the first comment made it clear to me that there was some kind of gay lynching or something that they were referencing.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Norseman wrote:The really depressing part is that he could very well really *be* that ignorant and just likes to make jokes about killing gay people. I mean is it that unlikely that he's just an ignorant, stupid homophobe?
It seems pretty freakin' esoteric to refer to Wyoming and not be aware of what he was talking about. I would say he knew exactly what he was talking about.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

In order to believe he didn't know about Shepered, requires us to believe that he randomly jokes about hanging gay people, regardless of what state they are in, and just HAPPENED to mention Wyoming.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:In order to believe he didn't know about Shepered, requires us to believe that he randomly jokes about hanging gay people, regardless of what state they are in, and just HAPPENED to mention Wyoming.
I'm sure he does, his kind always does; but accidentally picking Wyoming out of 49 other states isn't gonna hold any water in his defense. It's amazing how fucking transparently weaselly these little shitstains are; constantly pulling their nod, nod, wink, wink shit for their audience, yet trying to cry innocent cause everyone else easily catches on and calls them on it. :finger:
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

AP Story via the Missoulian
Excerpt

HELENA - The Montana tea party association leader ousted over an anti-gay exchange on Facebook said Thursday that he wants his leadership post back, and denied that he understood an online friend was talking about killing gay people during their Internet discussion.

The Big Sky Tea Party Association fired Tim Ravndal on Sunday after learning of his online comments about same-sex couples made in July. The post spurred an exchange that appeared to joke about the 1998 beating death of a gay college student in Wyoming.

End Excerpt
Clicky the link for the full article.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Excerpt

HELENA - The Montana tea party association leader ousted over an anti-gay exchange on Facebook said Thursday that he wants his leadership post back, and denied that he understood an online friend was talking about killing gay people during their Internet discussion.
Wow... The transparent Bullsht just keeps coming on.
Apparently he wants us to believe he didn't even KNWO he was joking about hanging Gay People. Apparently when he reads that his "friend" writes: I think fruits are decorative. Hang up where they can be seen and appreciated. Call Wyoming for display instructions in a post ABOUT Gay Marriage. Apparently Apparently he didn't know he was talking about gay people!

I would LOVE to ask this guy just what the hell he thought it was then, I'd love to see him try and explain himself if confronted. Maybe, maybe the guy actually cares about hanging "fruit" Maybe his house is decorated with hanging apples, pears and oranges!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Norseman wrote:The really depressing part is that he could very well really *be* that ignorant and just likes to make jokes about killing gay people. I mean is it that unlikely that he's just an ignorant, stupid homophobe?
It seems pretty freakin' esoteric to refer to Wyoming and not be aware of what he was talking about. I would say he knew exactly what he was talking about.
There is the possibility that he is retarded. He is a teabagger after all.

Jokes aside, being outside America I didn't immediately connect the killing of Matthew Shepard to what this teabagging douche said. However, I knew straight away he was talking about lynching gays. This guys excuse is pretty transparent.

What's hilarious is that appears to be significant opposition within the organisation to his sacking. Teabagger apologists wont be able to use their usual "It's a small minority!" or these guys are just the "crazies on the fringe!" excuses.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

bobalot wrote:
Gil Hamilton wrote:
There is the possibility that he is retarded. He is a teabagger after all.

Jokes aside, being outside America I didn't immediately connect the killing of Matthew Shepard to what this teabagging douche said. However, I knew straight away he was talking about lynching gays. This guys excuse is pretty transparent.

What's hilarious is that appears to be significant opposition within the organisation to his sacking. Teabagger apologists wont be able to use their usual "It's a small minority!" or these guys are just the "crazies on the fringe!" excuses.
Teabag apologists are already making excuses. Over on SB.com a particular individual is saying its unfair to use this to paint the entire Teaparty movement as this is clearly only representative of the Montana Teaparty.

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Alyeska wrote:
Teabag apologists are already making excuses. Over on SB.com a particular individual is saying its unfair to use this to paint the entire Teaparty movement as this is clearly only representative of the Montana Teaparty.
Didn't another high-ranking teabagger just get shitcanned for making racist remarks? Was that in Montana too? IIRC the only difference is that he didn't have enough shithead friends willing to quit to get him his job back, so he stayed gone.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I have no love for the Tea Party and only utter contempt for anyone who can make such remarks, but in the interests of the very strictest fairness and balance:
The Missoulian article linked to by Alyeska wrote:But bringing Ravndal back into the fold could mean even worse consequences for the group's unity, [former association president Roger Nummerdor] warned.

"I feel strongly that the comments he made were very detrimental not only to the local tea party but other tea party organizations in Montana and across the nation," Nummerdor said. "I actually believe that if he was reinstated we would lose a lot more members than if we keep him away from the organization."
[snip]
Many people who showed up Tuesday don't normally attend the association's meetings, and most in the group don't condone the comments Ravndal made, Nummerdor said.

"If he stays a member, I will have to step down from the organization," Nummerdor said.
I'm going to give Nummerdor the benefit of the doubt and assume he's not just annoyed because Ravndell (anyone else get the feeling that's a typo?) got caught, at least for now.
Nor can I figure out whether or not a vote to remove Ravndall was held, or if he was given a chance to defend himself first. If not, that puts some resignations in a slightly different light.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Hell, I hope he gets his job back. If the Democrats find their fucking balls, it'll come as an excellent weapon in the election cycle.
Truth fears no trial.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Tanasinn wrote:Hell, I hope he gets his job back. If the Democrats find their fucking balls, it'll come as an excellent weapon in the election cycle.
I would prefer it if he were never given a position more powerful than city dog catcher, and even then, I'd feel sorry for the dogs. The Democrats are too much in bed with the corporatist whores and other rich, white, assholes to ever find their "fucking balls." And giving a known homophobe his cushy political job back will only encourage further drift into right-wing insanity, since that sends the message that blatant homophobia is acceptable among a group of interests that wishes to be a serious part of the American political landscape; which might encourage more-mainstream political entities to espouse less-tolerant views.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Update on the story.
Excerpt

HELENA - Tea party leaders stung by turmoil over anti-gay rhetoric from their ranks acknowledge the publicity over the issue hurts the movement but hope the rancor will be short-lived.

The Big Sky Tea Party Association was splintered at the top when it canned its president after learning of his part in an online anti-gay discussion. Some backed the president, Tim Ravndal, forcing the board to revisit the sticky issue before deciding to maintain its decision to remove Ravndal from leadership while making it clear he remains a member of the group.

Excerpt
AP Article via The Missoulian

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Sounds like the whole group is basically disintegrating from the inside, which is rather what I expected out of all of this from the start. Simply reinforces the notion that most Tea party groups have nothing holding them together other then mutual hatred of the Left. Once they are prodded, they fall apart.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
LittleLostRobot
Redshirt

Post by LittleLostRobot »

I think this story makes a good, if understated point of having a kind of cautious restraint when you post things on Facebook. Most people are easily lulled into a false sense of facelessness when online. The sad fact of the matter is that even when they put personal information and a name on the same page, they still act faceless.

It's a shame that he made such a joke, even though to me it's not so apparent. I have read about the Matthew Sheppard Killings, but I didn't make the connection right away. Even if that wasn't his intent, it's fishiness and the source add up for something that can only be seen in a negative light.

Now to get something off my chest: Since when was the Tea Party a political group and when did it become an arm of the GOP?