TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by The Infidel »

TIL that the Cheesecake Factory is a real thing and not something dreamt up for the Big Bang Theory.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-10-12 09:35pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-10-12 01:01pm TIL that grandpa wasn't so stupid after all, having that drain pipe elevated that high.

Because when the drain pipe is low, the water runs into the drum, and RUNS RIGHT DOWN THE DRAIN PIPE before it can fill the drum and start the wash cycle.

FML.
At least it was just a length of linen I wanted to pre-wash before turning it into a dress.
TIL why washing machines are connected to elevated standpipes :mrgreen: We discovered a similar setup when my parents had the kitchen and utility room remodelled and needed to use the washing machine, and found it wouldn't work unless the drain hose was hooked up to said standpipe.
It works now. Got a full 5 loads of laundry yesterday.

TIL there's a Juvie Lit book called "Dagon", that retells the Lovecraft story with Suessian verse and illuminations.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

TIL that Battletech lore has a moment when the vast majority of Jews join the Catholic Church because they're sick of Orthodox Judaism's antics in Israel.

I'm not making this up.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

TIL that Battletech capital mssiles were apparently anti-small craft weapons.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL that the albino raven in "A Night in the Lonesome October" novel, named "Tekela", was pronounced in the audiobook reading by Roger Zelazny as "Tequila".

I'd always thought it was "Tek-eh-la", similar to the "Teke-li-Li" cry made famous in "At the Mountains of Madness", which also had albino birds.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-10-19 08:05pm TIL that the albino raven in "A Night in the Lonesome October" novel, named "Tekela", was pronounced in the audiobook reading by Roger Zelazny as "Tequila".

I'd always thought it was "Tek-eh-la", similar to the "Teke-li-Li" cry made famous in "At the Mountains of Madness", which also had albino birds.
reminds me of the Honor Harington audiobooks. one of the VAs, due to a miscommunication with Weber, spends several books pronouncing Manticoran
as 'Man-Tic-or-an' rather than 'Man-ta-core-an'.

or one of the 40k Ciaphus Cain shorts where the VA pronounces his name as 'Ceef-us' rather than 'Kai-a-fass'.

just because it makes it through the editing pass doesn't mean it's correct.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-10-19 08:05pm TIL that the albino raven in "A Night in the Lonesome October" novel, named "Tekela", was pronounced in the audiobook reading by Roger Zelazny as "Tequila".

I remember listening to one of the Dresden Files shorts or teasers that Jim Butcher narrated himself and it turns out Marsters has been saying Marcone's name wrong in the audio books all this time. The e isn't supposed to be silent.

Had always thought that was odd, because there's a line in Dead Beat that's clearly supposed to rhyme but didn't because of that.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2023-10-31 03:38am

I remember listening to one of the Dresden Files shorts or teasers that Jim Butcher narrated himself and it turns out Marsters has been saying Marcone's name wrong in the audio books all this time. The e isn't supposed to be silent.

Had always thought that was odd, because there's a line in Dead Beat that's clearly supposed to rhyme but didn't because of that.
Mar-co-ne, right? The Italian way?

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-10-31 07:35am Mar-co-ne, right? The Italian way?
Yup. "Bony Tony worked for John Marcone."
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

TIL the poppy is the national flower of Palestine
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

TIL that we have no idea how to regulate whether someone is hungry or not.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

TIL that my house is the perfect size for me and all my associated stuff, everything fits!

....right up until I need to move everything out of the basement so the builders can do their stuff this week. Then it's a case of "oh shit where's this gonna go for a week?"
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

TIL that Fast X features no fewer than five superhero actors: Aquaman, Captain Marvel, Peacemaker, Wonder Woman and Black Adam. Even though the latter two were only cameos at the end! :lol:
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

TIL that modern designer weed strains are almost as good as cocaine. I gave a sample to a friend to get his opinion on it (he's a professional drug user jazz musician) and he was like "damn! This shit's like cocaine! If this was around 20 years ago I would never have done hard drugs".
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL the girl I met two years ago just had a baby a week ago. She didn't waste any time! :mrgreen:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-11-16 07:50pm TIL the girl I met two years ago just had a baby a week ago. She didn't waste any time! :mrgreen:
Huh. I wonder how she got over the issue you ran into?

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-11-16 09:02pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-11-16 07:50pm TIL the girl I met two years ago just had a baby a week ago. She didn't waste any time! :mrgreen:
Huh. I wonder how she got over the issue you ran into?
I have no idea, we haven't communicated at all since she unmatched me on Tinder, I only learned she'd had a baby because I'd forgotten to unfollow her Facebook profile and it appeared alongside the other stories at the top of my news feed, when I looked at her profile itself it said she's single. Technically it was a few days ago I learned it but took me a while to decide if it was worth mentioning. I did send her a quick message just saying congratulations but she didn't respond, not that I thought she would.

I remember her saying her family would have freaked out if they learned what she did with me, I think along the lines of "fainting twice". She did say a few days later she took a big risk having me over because I could have killed/raped her, I said to her that was why I was fully expecting her to say no when I proposed meeting up but was so glad that she said yes, she'd even prepared the room by placing tealights despite the obvious fire hazard! :mrgreen: Seeing as how I didn't do those things I asked if she wanted to see me again because I certainly wanted to see her again. Re-reading the post I realised I'd confused my numbers- she was the third virgin, not the third girl I spent the night with. :oops:

The downside to the place was that the room's only window was the old-fashioned type that had to be lifted and was stuck shut so the room became uncomfortably warm after a while despite it being late autumn/early winter outside.

What I didn't mention in that post was that in my sleep-deprived state the following morning I had a tyre blow during the return journey but I was able to get off the main road and duck into a short side road leading to an office car park so I was out of the flow of traffic. :mrgreen:
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

TIL that Jupiter has gained/we discovered another moon, bringing it up to a total of 93 (Saturn still wins though with 140 or so).

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-11-17 07:07pm TIL that Jupiter has gained/we discovered another moon, bringing it up to a total of 93 (Saturn still wins though with 140 or so).
What did they name this one?

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-11-18 07:47am
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-11-17 07:07pm TIL that Jupiter has gained/we discovered another moon, bringing it up to a total of 93 (Saturn still wins though with 140 or so).
What did they name this one?
Dunno yet. I was doing a talk on the solar system and mentioned that Jupiter and Saturn keep going back and forth on which has the most moons, that Saturn is current;y winning, when my colleague Greg pipes up that a couple days ago Jupiter got a new one.

Given that they haven't named 80 odd of SAturn's moons, I doubt this new one will get a name anytime soon.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL about Shock Diamonds.

NSF got an amazing shot of SpaceX's liftoff with an absolutely MASSIVE Shock Diamond in the combined exhaust stream.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL the man who wrote the words to "Peter Cottontail", "Smokey the Bear", and "Frosty the Snowman" was born and raised in West Virginia, and never left for NYC until he was 40 (after his mother died).

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL what a 'telehandler' is.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-11-23 01:48pm TIL what a 'telehandler' is.
Hot Take Before Clicking: It's like a fluffer, but for teletubbies? Gotta keep 'em satiated, or they might burst through the wall into the next studio like Kool Aid Man and gang-rape Barney again...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL My mother thinks that if I go to check on my brother's cats first, then I shouldn't go grocery shopping because of the Cat Fur.

:rolleyes: