Executed with Honors (40k)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Executed with Honors (40k)

Post by Zablorg »

The cell slid aside for the first time in three days with a yawn of the machine spirit. The gloved hand of commissar Carrim thrust itself into the small, dark and smelly steel enclosement and emerged with the neckline of private Sarl. The private peered around at his surroundings somewhat groggily. He was in the lock-up hall. Directly ahead of him was a row of identicly shaped cell doors, as to the left and right of him. In the middle of the two rows of cells stood Carrim, and just behind him were around thirty other guardsmen, looking just as tired as he was; those who slept the first night soon regretted it.

“Get in line!” the commissar barked harshly at Sarl, as he shoved the private to the back of the line so hard he fell over. Carrim didn't seem to notice though, as he and the rest of the line took a few steps forward as Sarl scrambled to his feet. Standing by the cell on the left, Carrim imputted nine runes into the door and withdrew another guardsman, giving him an equally forceful greeting before doing the same to the cell on the right. No-one dared or felt like speaking to each other as they proceeded grimly down the hall, their number growing by two every few paces. Sarl could occassionally feel the boot-tips of the person behind him scrape against his heels as he hurried to keep up in an orderly fashion.

They didn't have to walk far at all before the commissar had collected all the men in the cells. The line was turned around as they proceeded to the hall enterance. Glancing behind him, Sarl counted that around twenty people had joined the line since he had stepped out of his cell. The commissar continued to press rune-pads as they proceeded up the stairs. Sarl wondered if all Guardsmen camps had their prison security as tight.

Once they reached the top of the stairs, they strode through a large amount of the complex before finally finding themselves outside. A cruiser ship had landed in the grass. As there was not a clearing for many many miles throughout the forest, three or four pine trees had been felled through the wieght of the decending ship. At least half a dozen of the Machine Men were waiting outside for them, as well as a confessor, who stood in the middle. They were dressed in expensive dark red robes, and Sarl could see the cloth push out slightly and then recede in places, as if there were claws scrabbling at it from underneath. The confessor was dressed in similarly high quality bright blue robes, and in one hand he grasped a tall golden staff with the mighty Aquilla positioned at the top. In the other, he held what looked like a laspistol. It was encased in gold and the Aquilla was engraved upon the barrel.

“Greetings, commissar! Ave!”

“Greetings to you, confessor. Ave.”

They both made the sign of the Aquilla with their hands.

“You are ready, commissar?” the confessor asked.

“I am.”

“Good. I would have gotten here quicker had our astropaths decifered your message sooner. Is this all?” he said, gazing upon the band of guardsmen which Carrim had by now arranged into a line standing against the wall of the complex from which they had emerged

The commissar looked pained. He glanced at his boots before returning

“Yes.”

“Then let us begin.”

The Mechanicus made itself into a small circle. The confessor offered the ornate laspistol to one of them, and he extended his hand from out of his robes to receive it. There were some quiet gasps from the crowd of guardsmen as they saw that from his fleshy palm emerged fingers fashioned out of metal.

The one who had been given the pistol stared at it. He did not peer, although the glowing red light that was enveloped in his hood retracted and extended slightly on occasion. He rotated it around slowly with finess, and then after twenty or so seconds he passed it clockwise to the next in the circle. They all completed this ritual which took around two minutes. Then, once the pistol had returned to the original examiner, he rotated out of his circle facing the confessor, bowed slightly, and handed it back to him.

“The Mechanicus approves of the instrument's spirit.” the confessor announced.

Staking his staff into the soft ground, he reached into his robes and re-emerged with a scroll, which he unraveled and read aloud.

“'By the order of the Administratum, for witnessing and defending the Imperium against the unknowable, the Fifth company of the Three-hundered and seventy-first regiment is to be executed with full honors. Commissar Syman Carrim!”

The commissar stepped up to the staff, and kneeled before the confessor.

“The Emperor rewards you for your service.” he muttered solomnly.

Carrim stayed perfectly still, fingering the Aquilla pendant he wore around his neck as the confessor raised the laspistol level with the commissar's head, and pulled the trigger. There was a crackle of energy as the red beam tore through his head and set a patch of fire behind him alight.

“Olav Krinch”

The crowd of guard stared at the cowering soldier among them. For a good five seconds Olav didn't do anything. Then, with a speed none of the rest would have thought possible, he dashed past the staff and the Mechanicus and into the woods.

The confessor's eyes burned with fury. Slowly and with a calm grace, he turned around, straightened his arm level and let off another crack of his golden pistol. The rest of the guardsmen looked in horror as Olav's head exploded one hundered feet away.

The confessor gazed upon the line of soldiers against the wall.

“There will be no mercy for him” he boomed.

“While your commissar will bathe forever in the light of the Emperor for his good works, he...” gesturing towards the headless corpse which was now flat on its chest, steaming at the neck “...will never be allowed to enter His presence. He will sit outside the gates and rot.”

Leaving this to digest in the minds of his audience, he continued.

“Charlos Degan”

And so it went on. Apparently the threat of being forced to rot behind the Emperor's gates was not especially moving for some. At least five other guardsmen tried to run off before they were called upon, and met the same results as Olav. Most, however, appeared somewhat glad to be given the Emperor's mercy this way. They wouldn't be able to get over what they had seen three days ago.

The pile of corpses before the staff rose and rose, until after around half the group's number had tried to escape or lay dead before the Aquilla, Sarl was called upon.
-------
I'll be writing a new segment next evening getting a bit of charactarization done and flashbacking to what brought about this little incident. :)
Tell me watcha think!
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Teebs
Jedi Master

Re: Executed with Honors (40k)

Post by Teebs »

I enjoyed this, but I wasn't too sure about the treatment of the troops at the start, it didn't quite chime with the idea of execution with honour.
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

The commissar isn't the one doing the executing, though. He's just getting his men organized in the only way he knows. :P
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

:? I must be missing something for doing a good job they're being executed with honors?
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Post by Rahvin »

By the order of the Administratum, for witnessing and defending the Imperium against the unknowable, the Fifth company of the Three-hundered and seventy-first regiment is to be executed with full honors.
They did their duty, but it would seem they've run the risk of being corrupted by forces as yet unrevealed to the reader. The Imperium tends to be...proactive about such things. Basically, they know too much now.
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net
Firethorn
Youngling

Post by Firethorn »

dragon wrote::? I must be missing something for doing a good job they're being executed with honors?
Close encounter with Chaos. Some of the older interpretations of the Imperium had them executing any soldiers that engaged/witnessed chaos forces. Obviously doesn't apply to the regions where the Gaunt's Ghosts or Cain's 597th operates.

At one point they'd Mind Wipe Space Marines (too valuable to just dispose of) and kill/wipe Sisters of Battle.

On the other hand, these soldiers might of encountered something even worse, or it was determined that they were contaminated.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

K makes sense in a twisted sort of way.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Firethorn
Youngling

Post by Firethorn »

Some clues would be the meager numbers of survivors - I get the feeling only around 1 man in 10 survived.

Chaos is corrupting in a lot of ways. There are symbols that'll turn a goodly number of the men who witness it into chaos worshipers - and sometimes something nastier. This could take minutes, or months.
Fyrwulf
Redshirt

Post by Fyrwulf »

Seems terribly odd to me. I've always thought of execution as a punishment reserved for those with no honor.
JGregory32
Padawan Learner

Post by JGregory32 »

Seems terribly odd to me. I've always thought of execution as a punishment reserved for those with no honor.
Actually this scenario seems to ring true to me. I could just see some hardcore commisar deciding that these men had seen either too much or were possibly tainted. Unfortunetly they can not be allowed to join in a suicide battle becasue they could spread their knowledge/taint to other beforehand. There also the possiblilty, in the commisars, mind that they might switch sides on the mission. Either scenario is unnacceptable, therefore they must be eliminated. The fact that they did a good job calls for reciving the emperors mercy rather than just being shoved out an airlock.
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.
Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth.
Jurassic Park
Skyfox120
Youngling

Post by Skyfox120 »

JGregory32 wrote:
Actually this scenario seems to ring true to me. I could just see some hardcore commisar deciding that these men had seen either too much or were possibly tainted. Unfortunetly they can not be allowed to join in a suicide battle becasue they could spread their knowledge/taint to other beforehand. There also the possiblilty, in the commisars, mind that they might switch sides on the mission. Either scenario is unnacceptable, therefore they must be eliminated. The fact that they did a good job calls for reciving the emperors mercy rather than just being shoved out an airlock.
It is very in-genre for the WH40kverse as well. Take the ending of the first Ciaphas Cain novel "For the Emperor", two memebers of his assault team got sepreted underground during a firefight with a Genestealer cult. They 'miraculously' survived and upon hearing of there survival Cain summarily executed them because he SUSPECTED they had been implanted by a genestealer, with the approval of Inquistor Vale.

The fact that a few minutes later he messily proved that his fears were valid is irrelevent. The point is he executed them because he suspected they had possibly been infected by the Tyranids with no more proof beyond 'they survived and were a bit vague of how they escaped the firefight'. And the inquistor backed him up. This indicates that suspicion of corruption among a imperial guardsmen is suifficent grounds for execution orders from the Commisar.

Of course there is the alternative to just summarily executeing the reigiment would be to assign another guard platoon to follow the 'suspected' unit on a dangerous/suicide mission with orders to terminate/call in a artillery strike at the first sign of treachery real or imagined. which you can see in a couple other WH40k novels.

FOr that matter there are incidents in WH40k stories which might make the 'execute because of possible chaos corruption' mindset feasible. Off the top of my head I'd point to Abnett's 'brotherhood of the snake' where one portion of the novel has a chaos Daemon manage to sneak its way into a Astartes Chapter and manage to influence the entire chapter bar one Space marine that knew the Daemon was there. (Its influence is shown in that the entire chapter thought the one Marine who KNEW the Daemon was among them was ranting and raving mad.. howling so loud you could hear it in a isolation cell).

Only a small squad of AStartes that had returned from a seperate mission were free of hte influence and managed to destroy the Daemon before it went beyond simple mindtricks and actually began corrupting the chapter to Chaos.

Now if that happened to a Astartes chapter, is it really to far a stretch to see similar scenarios happening to other branches of the Imperium military? and if its plausible thant he execute with honor scenario fits as one option to prevent said infilitration by Chaos from happening.

And considering that the most common imperial Guard tactical view is 'throw enough bodies at the enemy until they choke to death', some high rnaking brass and commissers may consider it cheaper to just execute en mass, instead of investigating survivors for chaos taints.
JGregory32
Padawan Learner

Post by JGregory32 »

This all makes me wonder if there's a high number of so called "blue on blue" incidents concerning the Imperial Guard and the commissers.
I know in such an enviroment I would consider the commissers an enemy to be terminated at the first chance.
As for getting away with it? Looking at the calcs other members have done it doesn't look like lasrifles leave much in the way of remains for identification.
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.
Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth.
Jurassic Park
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

JGregory32 wrote:This all makes me wonder if there's a high number of so called "blue on blue" incidents concerning the Imperial Guard and the commissers.
"Blue on blue" is a staple of 40k, not just between Guardsmen and Commissars but also between Guard and Guard, let alone other factions.
I know in such an enviroment I would consider the commissers an enemy to be terminated at the first chance.
Commissars do get killed as much by their own troopers as they do by the enemy. Ciaphas Cain and Ibram Gaunt are notable exceptions, the former for being beloved by the men for being both a hero and acting like he cares for the troopers, and the latter for the same.
As for getting away with it? Looking at the calcs other members have done it doesn't look like lasrifles leave much in the way of remains for identification.
Lasrifles usually leave an identifiable body. The Guardsmen usually just say he died heroically fighting the enemy, and the general attitude of most Guard commanders is "Oh, the Commissar is dead. How tragic. So, back to this morning's latrine assignments...."

A good example of a Guard regiment being executed "with honors" after having served in exemplary fashion was covered in Tactica Imperialis, where a Guard regiment managed to stop a Chaos army over the course of several engagements, but as the battle progressed, they were steadily being corrupted by the enemy. After they had won, an Ordo Malleus observer planted within the unit called down an orbital strike to purge the remainder of the unit, as their troops were beyond saving.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Buzzard
Redshirt

Post by Buzzard »

JGregory32 wrote:This all makes me wonder if there's a high number of so called "blue on blue" incidents concerning the Imperial Guard and the commissers.
Some IG regiments have a habit of doing just that. Catachans most famously.
Skyfox120
Youngling

Post by Skyfox120 »

Buzzard wrote:
Some IG regiments have a habit of doing just that. Catachans most famously.
there is... Pick any Ciaphas Cain novel at random and I guarentee you there is at least one, if not more, paragraph of Cain musing as to how he has to appear to care for the common trooper in order to get them to watch his back and avoid the common 'friendly fire' scenario.
Firethorn
Youngling

Post by Firethorn »

Skyfox120 wrote:there is... Pick any Ciaphas Cain novel at random and I guarentee you there is at least one, if not more, paragraph of Cain musing as to how he has to appear to care for the common trooper in order to get them to watch his back and avoid the common 'friendly fire' scenario.
Read the novels recently, and I have to agree. He also mentions that he tries to teach the new commissionaires that as well.

Cain has carefully established an image as a Caring Hero. Blue on Blue Cain? Why the hell would you want to do that? If your ass is at all savable, he'll save it. Injured? He'll get you to a medic. Stuck in a sinking Basilisk? He'll pull you out. Khornate Berserker or Genestealer patrician after you? He'll engage it in hand to hand combat. Sure, you screw up on leave or such he's going to set a punishment, but said punishment will be relatively light compared to any other commissionaire or arbites sentence. He understands your need to party. Hell, he shields you from other organizations to a large extent.

If he DOES have to kill you due to genestealer infection or whatever, at least he'll do it quick.

If I was to place him in the modern context, I'd make him more of a First Sergeant than a Commissionaire - just one that gives the shirt sentencing powers.

Gaunt, well, Gaunt is also the commander of his unit, unlike Cain(though Cain was effectively in command in many ways), and competent.

As for IG regiments taking out commissionairs - I get the feeling that the more irregular units tend to do just that. Catachans, for example, probably don't even need to frag any green commissionair - they simply don't have to protect his ass very hard if they're being used properly.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

IIRC, In the game rules, if a Catachan force rolls a certain number on the dice, any Commissar in that stack gets fragged.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet