Is anyone into martial arts?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Is anyone into martial arts?

Post by Next of Kin »

Does anyone practice martial arts? If so, what is your favourite style. If not, would you ever thinking of taking it up as a hobby?

As for myself I've been practicing aikido for the last 2 years. I'm an orange belt with dreams of getting a green belt some time down the road. A couple months ago I picked up another style (a martial arts freestyle consisting of taekwondo, jujitsu, and kickboxing. However, I'm just a lowly white belt in that style :(
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Aside from watching cantonese movies with highly stylized and movie oriented martial arts, no. I thought about it when I was kid but never took it up.

Its actually interesting, when I watch a some chinese movies we see people throw trees, shrink their penis, spit blood, freeze bodies by hitting nerve points, fly through the air, I always rationalize it by saying "dude they know kung-fu, it could happen."

But when Klingons attack with sharp objects, Im like "that is so moronic, where is my claymore." :-P

As an adult I like to ski and paintball.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Its actually interesting, when I watch a some chinese movies we see people throw trees, shrink their penis, spit blood, freeze bodies by hitting nerve points, fly through the air, I always rationalize it by saying "dude they know kung-fu, it could happen."
One of my instructors always brags that he can suck his balls into his body cavity when kicking or punching. How the hell do you do that!?! :shock: And i've been studying for a while!
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

I do TKD. Unfortunately I haven't been improving much lately because I injured my knee and was out for three months. I've also ben working alot lately. I've been doing it for a year and a half now.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

David wrote:I do TKD. Unfortunately I haven't been improving much lately because I injured my knee and was out for three months. I've also ben working alot lately. I've been doing it for a year and a half now.
I prefer the martial art where you kick a guy in the kidneys until he can't get up off the ground. If that fails, you go an get a .45 and bust a cap. I believe it is called Kung-Fu.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

David, which belt level did you get to?
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Blue right now. Little more than halfway to black.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Have you kicked any asses in a tournament yet? As for myself, Aikido doesn't have any competitions and I haven't seen any advertised tournaments in the other style.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

I kicked and been kicked at tournements.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

David, have you ever tried aikido?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I never got belts but I am fully quailfied to use most of the Weapons, I'm trained on the Katana, Wakzhi, Boe(Stick, Poll, Whatever) Nunchuks I never masters though I still have a training pair I keep around, Likewise I never got down Ninja stars(Though I can throw a mean axe)

I also have my own form of martial Arts Loosly called Do what Jacky Chan Does :D
IE use every part of your enviorment as a weapon and be aware of what you can do

I also did TKD when I was younger but I got kicked out because I never yelled(Never got that part, If your going to get close why are you giving away your postioin agian?)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Quote by Mr. Bean
I never got belts but I am fully quailfied to use most of the Weapons, I'm trained on the Katana, Wakzhi, Boe(Stick, Poll, Whatever) Nunchuks I never masters though I still have a training pair I keep around, Likewise I never got down Ninja stars(Though I can throw a mean axe)

Which style introduced you to those weapons or have you studied an ecclectic mix? [/quote]
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Honsetly no idea, Its been quite a few years most of which I remeber going to a School with a bunch of other 12-14 year olds, Doing the normal things(I did TKD when I was 7-9) I barley remebr the guys face and I remeber less about Wakzhi fighting, My Katana's still decent, My stick is as good as its ever been but I get trashed if you want me to fight with a Wakzhi

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I did Kyu-Ki-Do for 6 or so years. I got to the rank of blue belt. It's a combination of Tae Kwon Do, Judo and Hap Ki Do. I also did Judo for a while and got to yellow belt.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

I did Kyu-Ki-Do for 6 or so years. I got to the rank of blue belt. It's a combination of Tae Kwon Do, Judo and Hap Ki Do. I also did Judo for a while and got to yellow belt.
That's quite the mix Durandel! I take it then that you've practised quite a few breakfalls in your day. Personally, I hate doing anything that involves a forward flip or roll. Do you still do any of the above mentioned styles today?
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Next of Kin wrote:David, have you ever tried aikido?

Nope, but the guy in charge also teaches Hap-Ki-Do which is close. I'm going to take Kung-Fu and try to learn the nunchucks and staff when I get some time.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Used to date a chick who was all into... something Korean. Similar to Tae Kwon Do, but definitely not it exactly. She always talked a ton of shit about TKD and how they just hand belts out willy-nilly. She was always trying to put this or that move on me, and getting frustrated when it turned out that my being a foot taller and a hundred pounds heavier negated what she was doing. :)
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

She must have been practicing with people who were the size of gnomes :D
It's one thing to do a technique in class who is willing to left you do something to them so that you learn but it's a different ball of wax when you try your moves on someone outside of class. People automatically assume that the guy on the street is going to go along with whatever you are doing. You're lucky she didn't decide to bag you in the groin so that she could do the technique!
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

Used to do TKD in grade school, as well as a smattering of Kendo from a student exchange trip and a year of Akido when I was really young; I've forgotten most of that last one. Reached blue belt in TKD, but when my parents moved, I never got around to restarting. I've wanted to learn a weapon art (especially sword arts) for quite some time now, but I've never known any place with a style that taught those extensively.
Mr. Bean, did you mean "wakazashi" (short sword usually paired with a katana) in your post?
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

I took "ghetto TKD" for a term, it was interesting bec it was all focused on "of course they're not going to go along with you, here's another way to do the same thing if the first way fails" so it was mildly strange for me to see the comment abt TKD belt factories and some girl complaining abt you not going along while at the same time bagging on TKD for that. Uh... My martial art is dialing 911. Soon this will change to a smaller set of numbers, .45. Just talkin shit... :) I like wrestling and TKD. No good at either of them.
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Is anyone into martial arts?

Post by Galvatron »

Next of Kin wrote:Does anyone practice martial arts? If so, what is your favourite style. If not, would you ever thinking of taking it up as a hobby?

As for myself I've been practicing aikido for the last 2 years. I'm an orange belt with dreams of getting a green belt some time down the road. A couple months ago I picked up another style (a martial arts freestyle consisting of taekwondo, jujitsu, and kickboxing. However, I'm just a lowly white belt in that style :(
I'm a master of Hokuto Shin Ken. :wink:
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

That's quite the mix Durandel! I take it then that you've practised quite a few breakfalls in your day. Personally, I hate doing anything that involves a forward flip or roll. Do you still do any of the above mentioned styles today?
Judo was great fun. We got to do flips and get our asses kicked by the grand master and the guy who holds the world's record for most cement blocks broken (at the time, anyway). Very good workout, and very fun.

I did one class of Ju Jitsu, which was more than enough to convince me that I could never put myself through that insanity on a regular basis. Ju Jitsu is essentially what wrestling (the real kind) would be if chokes, strangles, and everything illegal was made legal.

Sadly, I don't practice any of them anymore, but the stuff sticks with you. Last year, after almost 3 years of not practicing, I went to a class for fun and was able to perform as though I'd never stopped. Needless to say, I'm confident in my ability to defend myself if attacked.

Back in the day, I could easily break two boards with a palm-heel strike, and I'm sure I could today. I never got to try a cinder block, though I hear it's just like breaking two boards.

Just for reference, the Kyu Ki Do belt rank system is slightly different than Karate. It goes...

White.
White with Yellow Stripe (senior white belt).
Yellow (junior yellow).
Yellow with Green Stripe (senior yellow).
Green (junior green).
Green with Blue Stripe (senior green).
Blue (junior blue).
Blue with Brown Stripe (senior blue).
Brown.
Red.
Black (10 degrees after that).

So, I was a mere 4 degrees from my black belt. Too bad, but I just had too much to do in terms of school and stuff to make an active commitment to it anymore.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Is anyone into martial arts?

Post by Eleas »

"Does anyone practice martial arts? If so, what is your favourite style. If not, would you ever thinking of taking it up as a hobby?"

I've practiced a plethora of martial arts - shotokan, tae kwon do, judo, kendo and iaido. Right now I'm just practicing Kenjutsu techniques at home every other day - Kendo is too disassociated from real combat to be worth bothering.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Wow! I had no idea that many of you have studied such a wide variety of styles. Some styles such as Hokuto Shin Ken, and Iaido, and ghetto tkd are new to me.

Now here's another question for you martial arts masters or novices: Have you ever had to put your martial arts training to use outside of your club? I.e. defend yourself in a bar room brawl, gently put down a drunken, but yet beligerant, friend, fend off a mugger, or protect yourself from a bad fall?

I haven't been in a fight since grade school :wink: but this past winter I slipped on an icy patch in my parking lot. If I didn't know anything about falling properly I probably would have fallen on the palms of my hands and thus broken my wrists. Instead, I did a backward breakfall and quickly did a double take to see if anyone saw me fall. Now I know some people paint Aikido as an old art form that really isn't 'with it' in terms of street fighting but I have to think that my training saved me from serious injury.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I've gotten in a couble of fights since old school, Got into a lot of good ones in High-school, never fought through collage and so far I've only racked up two more since then

:D

Rarley though have I ever resorted to Martial Arts but then I tend to leave the whole Code of Honor at the Door, Avarage fight lasts less than eight seconds just the way I like it

With the exception of one fight most of mine started and ended with somone throwing an punch and me either fliping it or ducking under it and slaming thier body/head into the nearset hard surface
Heck nearly got expled when I was in the sixth grade for breaking a kid's wrist, The normal bully type for a few yes kids following him around he through a punch missed I ducked under him and flung him except I forget(They had backed me up aginst a little wall) that the drop on the other side was alot more than a foot or two and more like five and of course he stuck his hand out and broke his wrist in the fall, Nearly got expeled but they fight luckly was caught on of the out-side secruity cameras so I got off with a weeks suspension insded for defeing myself.