Gallon of Gas $1.39 20oz water $1.07 sumthin aint right

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Gallon of Gas $1.39 20oz water $1.07 sumthin aint right

Post by Mr. B »

This is what I paid at a local gas station. Am I right in thinking that gasoline is cheaper than water and because of that their must be more gas than water.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
What do you think?
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

No, they have water in the gas pumps, and gasoline in the water bottles!
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

In Saudi Arabia they really do charge more for water than for unrefined petroleum.

Here in the Bay Area, we're paying 1.50 and up a gallon. Damn Gray Davis. Let this be a lesson never to elect Democratic candidates who are also idiots.

It's not anywhere near as bad as it is in Europe, though.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."

Remember that brief time after 9/11 when gas prices were as low as $.99 a gallon?

If people think raising gas prices will get people to use less gas, they're wrong. SUV sales still rise with the price of gasoline. People will still drive SUVs, even if they spend $75 a week on gas.
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote: Remember that brief time after 9/11 when gas prices were as low as $.99 a gallon?

If people think raising gas prices will get people to use less gas, they're wrong. SUV sales still rise with the price of gasoline. People will still drive SUVs, even if they spend $75 a week on gas.
i wish I could afford to waste $75 a week on gas.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Don't forget that most of the water on earth is salty and undrinkable. Water has to be purified no matter where its from (bacteria, pollution) is also has to be shipped to wherever you are. The bottles and lables must also be paid for.
JADAFETWA
drifter god
Rabid Monkey

Post by drifter god »

wow, i never thought about that, at least i dont need to pay for 15 gallons of water to run my car, i dont think i could afford it over time
i work for the cable company, i make sure all the channels work :)
BotM
drifter god
Rabid Monkey

Post by drifter god »

wow, i never thought about that, at least i dont need to pay for 15 gallons of water to run my car, i dont think i could afford it over time
i work for the cable company, i make sure all the channels work :)
BotM
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I'm glad I made the smart choice years back and bought the most fuel efficant car I could get my hands on :D

Of course nothing compare to somone I know VIA The 'Net in Japan who got a Hybrid Electic gas car. He gets 69 Miles to the Gallon :(
All total he spends 10$ a month on gas

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Bottled water is one of the greatest marketing victories of all time.
Gas here in the Bay Area is expensive!!! But you still see loads of SUV's on 101 an 880. Frankly, for what gas allows me to do everyday I would not think 2 dollars a gallon is expensive.

The problem here is we have "special formulated" gasoline that makes is more expensive than it needs to be.

I don't see why bottled water is so expensive. All you need to start your own bottled water company is a garden hose and thousands of unlabeled plastic bottles.
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote: I don't see why bottled water is so expensive. All you need to start your own bottled water company is a garden hose and thousands of unlabeled plastic bottles.
Mr. B now has new idea for next summer. :D

Legalize It!

TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I don't see why bottled water is so expensive. All you need to start your own bottled water company is a garden hose and thousands of unlabeled plastic bottles.

Its all about marketing. People think its 'safer' than tap water so they buy it.
I only get bottled water because its in a convenient package I can carry with me. Around the house, ice cubes and tap water are the rule.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Here's a solution - everyone drive Geo Metros; they run on a tiny cup of gas.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Fuel prices

Post by PeZook »

Geez, those americans
You just can't saitsfy them ;)

Seriously, up here we pay about one $ a LITRE.
A gallon is about 4.5 litres IIRC
Water is still cheaper than gas in Poland...but gas prices are ridicoulously overinflanted. I would really enjoy it if the prices were the other way around - after all, I don't drink that much water :)
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

PeZook, I can't agree with you more... :)

Here in Finland we pay about one € for a litre, so our prices are pretty much the same. And can you believe this: the prices were even higher last year!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

It is about 70p per litre in the UK (but I don't drive so it don't bother me nor do I drink obscene amounts of water).

But really, America is too reliant on oil. When oil starts drying up, and it will, the other less oil dependant countries will thrive.

Remember the oil crisis in the '70s? America was hit the hardest due to having such an oil based industry, without it the whole thing literally grinds to a halt. America has also started importing more than 50% of its oil stocks now compared to around 20% at the turn of last century.

And one more thing: America is more reliant on foreign oil nowadays than it was during the crisis.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Lucky its not Middle Eastern Oil anymore(We are under 10% imported from the Middle East as opposed to the roughly 30% According to TIME July 22)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton