Sith Marauder

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

TIL that some schools have woodfired pizza ovens! :mrgreen:
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-08-31 12:58am TIL that some schools have woodfired pizza ovens! :mrgreen:
It was a bit of mess initially in that the powers that be didn't plan out location or how it was going to be used...

But now it's a great benefit. School is in a low-socio-economic area and getting families involved in their kids schooling is hard enough... we always struggled to get parents along to parent teacher, now it's:

"come for free pizza and live music (various school bands) ... oh and collect your childs report .... and maybe speak to a teacher"

and slowly building a culture of community engagement.

Also during moderation all the other school's teachers want to come to us.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

TIL that some American hospitals offer bacon and eggs as a breakfast option, which is very definitely not a thing on the NHS. The very underwhelming tea is pretty universal though.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Zaune wrote: 2023-09-05 06:16am TIL that some American hospitals offer bacon and eggs as a breakfast option, which is very definitely not a thing on the NHS. The very underwhelming tea is pretty universal though.
With the amount Americans have to spend for hospital stays, I would expect a decent breakfast at the very least.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The shame is that I wasn't up to truly enjoying it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-09-05 12:20pmWith the amount Americans have to spend for hospital stays, I would expect a decent breakfast at the very least.
There is that, I suppose. And admittedly given what I was in hospital for I doubt the nurses would have been allowed to offer me bacon and eggs anyway.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Also, other than the food allergies, I didn't have any dietary restrictions - if I'd been on a low fat or low sodium diet pretty sure I'd be offered something less "fancy".
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-09-06 04:14am Also, other than the food allergies, I didn't have any dietary restrictions - if I'd been on a low fat or low sodium diet pretty sure I'd be offered something less "fancy".
Hospitals have been trying hard to get away from the old curse of "nothing worse than hospital food". They spend a lot of money on nutritionists and dieticians and put them in charge of making the menus, and hiring good chefs to run things. CAMC Hospitals in WV has been very diligent in this, pretty much offering the same menus to patients that's available that day in their staff/visitor cafeterias. I speak from experience when I say most of it went from "pretty decent" to "Damn Good".

But, like Broomstick, I have very few allergy restrictions, so I was able to eat 'natrually' (raw tomatoes, they have to be processed for me to eat them, ie chili, spaghetti sauce, ketchups, etc -- at least an hour's cooking to kill the acid/seeds)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I told them I was allergic to low fat foods yet they still gave me sandwiches with margarine instead of butter and fatfree milk instead of whole milk.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

According to my father who was in charge of the kitchen at a hospital as a cook, not the administrator, the bland taste has more to do with not using salt and other spices becuase they never know who might have a health complication because of it. When you are cooking bulk food you have to cook for the most picky.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Today I learned that there is a German polka band cover of Sweet Child o' Mine. And it's really good.

Important edit: They've done a bunch of others too, including Run To The Hills, Kids in America, Jump and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Well that's my evening sorted!

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-09-06 06:15pm Today I learned that there is a German polka band cover of Sweet Child o' Mine. And it's really good.

Important edit: They've done a bunch of others too, including Run To The Hills, Kids in America, Jump and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Well that's my evening sorted!
Why stop at Polka? Let's have Medieval Filk!

HIldegard von Blingin' "BardCore"

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Or Immigrant Song in it's 'original' Old Norse
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

TIL there's pig farming in Israel.
I'm not sure how that's kosher...
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Maybe for sale to dirty foreigners? Besides, I'm sure there's other things you can do with pigs besides eat them. Also not everyone in Israel is a Jew and not all of those take the dietary restrictions all that seriously I suspect given the reasons for them are antiquated and no longer really applicable.

TIL that amazon.de apparently doesn't have a die-cast model of the YF-23.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There's archeological evidence that even during the "Temple" period in the kingdoms of Israel and Judea there were people raising and eating pigs. More proof that people often "cheat" when it comes to the law.

Strictly speaking, Jews are only prohibited from eating non-kosher animals. Also of course there are fundamentalist minded people who have to use excessive zeal in adhering to the rules.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-09-07 09:20pm
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-09-06 06:15pm Today I learned that there is a German polka band cover of Sweet Child o' Mine. And it's really good.

Oh I came across her work a while ago, I love her version of Holding Out for a Hero.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-09-09 09:50am
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-09-07 09:20pm

Oh I came across her work a while ago, I love her version of Holding Out for a Hero.
Have you heard her version of "Hurt"?

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I've listened to all her stuff on YouTube. "Hurt" is good, but not my favourite.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-09-10 02:07pm I've listened to all her stuff on YouTube. "Hurt" is good, but not my favourite.
I'm hoping she finds time to do more :)

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-09-11 06:58am
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-09-10 02:07pm I've listened to all her stuff on YouTube. "Hurt" is good, but not my favourite.
I'm hoping she finds time to do more :)
Definitely! It's one of my favourite types of music, doing a song in a totally different style. Like bardcore "Holding Out for a Hero" or an acapella war drums version of "The Final Countdown."

Or the entire album that came out a few years back, pairing Johnny Cash vocals with the music played by the London Symphony Orchestra (or Philharmonic, can't recall).

Anyways, sometimes it works incredibly well. Sometimes it falls short, but it's always at least interesting.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

TIL that Yandere Simulator is a Unity Engine game.

("Yandere" is Japanese for "bunny boiler", by the way.)

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Zaune wrote: 2023-09-14 04:21am TIL that Yandere Simulator is a Unity Engine game.

TIL what "Moe" is :wink:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-09-14 02:58pm
Zaune wrote: 2023-09-14 04:21am TIL that Yandere Simulator is a Unity Engine game.

TIL what "Moe" is :wink:
Today I learned that both Yandere and Yandire are pretty much slang for "Cute but Psycho".
Yandere get romantically obsessed with a person, and then will stalk and harm/kill either their love-interest/obsession, and will also harm/kill those showing interest in their obsession or those their obsession show interest in. All to "prove their love".
Yandire are cute and sweet, until they're triggered by something that happens and then they go psychotically murderous on that trigger. Usually not romantically triggered.

So.. why you call it "Bunny Boiler" I'm not sure, unless they are harming poor defensive rabbits as part of their psychosis.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL the significance of this flag and how pro-Russians are using its appearance by Ukrainian war graves to supposedly prove that the Ukrainians are Nazis. I also learned how many new ways I can use to point out someone's blatant straw manning and still not run out :twisted: It's fun smacking around pro-Russians on Facebook :lol: