TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

muse
Jedi Council Member

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by muse »

TIL my city has a sex doll brothel. Do I even want to know how they hired their sex doll sanitation workers? :wtf:

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/sex-doll- ... ississauga
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

muse wrote: 2023-11-25 02:36pm TIL my city has a sex doll brothel. Do I even want to know how they hired their sex doll sanitation workers? :wtf:
Worker, actually. It's just Andrew McCarthy and a squeegee, and he talks to them while he works.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

TIL that tradesmen will blame each other if at all possible.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

TIL of all days through TikTok that George W. Bush was born in Connecticut. Sonuva bitch ain't even from Texas.
Last edited by Soontir C'boath on 2023-11-29 08:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Edit: Oopse
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL it wasn't her baby after all, but her colleague's. And according to her the loose clothing she was wearing in her pictures which would have concealed any baby bump is just how they dress in Bangladesh.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-12-03 01:24pm TIL it wasn't her baby after all, but her colleague's. And according to her the loose clothing she was wearing in her pictures which would have concealed any baby bump is just how they dress in Bangladesh.
Ah.. is that it. Okay then. Not sure what to believe but ok.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

TIL (from a colleague who has recently returned from a holiday in Poland) that Auschwitz...has a gift shop.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-12-03 05:16pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-12-03 01:24pm TIL it wasn't her baby after all, but her colleague's. And according to her the loose clothing she was wearing in her pictures which would have concealed any baby bump is just how they dress in Bangladesh.
Ah.. is that it. Okay then. Not sure what to believe but ok.
Her exact words:
Hi! How are you? Have you been stalking me? Not in the right direction though! I don't have any baby!😂
That's how we dress up. We call it modesty 😅😅
She is still in the UK, she'd only been here a couple of months when we met on Tinder. For any Coronation Street fans reading this, she had a voice like Alina :lol:
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

TIL that one of my colleagues, a Welshman living in Wales, is a full-on Fox-koolaid-drinking, "he did nothing wrong" Trumper. I...I have no idea how to process the sheer weirdness of this.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL that I need to buy more thermal underwear if I continue to work for the bookmobile.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-12-04 02:03pm
Hi! How are you? Have you been stalking me? Not in the right direction though! I don't have any baby!😂
That's how we dress up. We call it modesty 😅😅
She could be bullshitting you, but the Bangladesh thing makes it feel more legit IMHO. Dressing "modestly" is self-defense in some areas there, I know a girl with a seriously metal-looking scar from some religious incel throwing acid in her face when she was a teenager.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Yesterday, I went to a stoner party.
TIL it's theoretically possible to be high from the moment I wake up in the morning to when I fall asleep at night.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL Making two bundt cakes in one night is not something I should be doing anymore.

Also, Hot toddies should have more than 1/2 cup water in them.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-12-10 07:01pm Also, Hot toddies should have more than 1/2 cup water in them.
Depends on the size of your hot toddie and (if applicable) how sick you are, doesn't it? I know alcohol dampens the immune system, but the ones I made when the Fall Plague was circulating back in college definitely made me feel better short-term.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Raw Shark wrote: 2023-12-10 10:57pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-12-10 07:01pm Also, Hot toddies should have more than 1/2 cup water in them.
Depends on the size of your hot toddie and (if applicable) how sick you are, doesn't it? I know alcohol dampens the immune system, but the ones I made when the Fall Plague was circulating back in college definitely made me feel better short-term.
I definitely felt better short-term, nice little buzz off it, but it really didn't help long-term.
Spent most of the night tossing and turning again, in between croup-coughing fits. All I need is a blood-stained hankie and I could be a Tragic Victorian Heroine.

But... I'm going in. I will be masking up.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Today I learned that Amelia Earhart may have been eaten by Coconut Crabs after her plane disappeared.

Ironically, I learned about it in a thread discussion about Cocunuts, and how humans evolved from animals that already knew what was safe to eat (vs those stupid 'shout out to the first humans that ate....' threads/topics/memes).

As if those things weren't creepy enough....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL what Hanlon's razor is.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Solauren wrote: 2023-12-13 06:32pm Today I learned that Amelia Earhart may have been eaten by Coconut Crabs after her plane disappeared.
Ironically, I learned about it in a thread discussion about Cocunuts, and how humans evolved from animals that already knew what was safe to eat (vs those stupid 'shout out to the first humans that ate....' threads/topics/memes).
Bullshit. Emilia Earheart either got abducted by aliens and transplanted to the Delta Quadrant (Star Trek: Voyager) or crashed near Chicago (Fallout:Tactics). Neither of which mentions coconut crabs :P
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Batman wrote: 2023-12-16 07:52pm
Solauren wrote: 2023-12-13 06:32pm Today I learned that Amelia Earhart may have been eaten by Coconut Crabs after her plane disappeared.
Bullshit. Emilia Earheart either got abducted by aliens and transplanted to the Delta Quadrant (Star Trek: Voyager) or crashed near Chicago (Fallout:Tactics). Neither of which mentions coconut crabs :P
I personally like the theory she landed somewhere, and she and her navigator ran off together, but, let's face facts, Coconut Crabs eating her dead body post crash is much more likely. The others are along the same lines of possible as a billionaire dressing up as a Bat and using high tech gadgets to fight crime.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Batman wrote: 2023-12-16 07:52pm
Season 2, episode 1 to be precise :mrgreen:

The one where Torres does not know shit when she sees it :lol:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL the actual pronunciation of "indictment", and its origin.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

TIL someone made a jiggle physics mod for Minecraft.

Blockiest tits I've seen since OG Lara Croft.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-01-02 10:06pm TIL the actual pronunciation of "indictment", and its origin.
Actual origins or what ever folk origin they're pushing for an agenda?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

OG Lara Croft didn't look THAT bad. But then my baseline is the 8 bit era...
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'