UBS's new way to launder money (maybe)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

UBS's new way to launder money (maybe)

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I thought this was fascinating, and after the success of The Big Short and The Wolf Of Wall Street, I thought other people might too.

https://theintercept.com/series/penny-stock-chronicles/
David Dayen, a persistent chronicler of how oligarchs exploit the financial system to enrich themselves at the expense of others, writes about Chris DiIorio, a stock analyst who for 10 years has obsessively investigated how exactly he came to lose $1 million on one penny stock. A remarkable story ensues.
SAY YOU’RE A Swiss bank and you want to launder some money for high-net-worth clients.

Here’s one way: Start by placing large quantities of the funds into a brokerage account at the bank under the name of a shell corporation.

Then, conduct multiple financial transactions with the funds, confusing the true source of the money. Once the transactions “wash” the money, it can be spent out of the brokerage account as simply as writing a check or using a credit card.
It's a 7 part article, so I'll try to summarize as best I understand it:

A money launderer (allegedly UBS and their clients but which we'll call ML1) sets up a fraudulent shell corporation (shell 1) and issues billions of shares of penny stocks. Most of those get bought up by another shell corporation (2), who in turn sell those at a loss to a third shell corporation (3). The stock falls, and the 2nd shell corporation (B) takes a huge loss, but only on paper. Shell 1 announces that they are going bankrupt and merging with a 4th shell company (4) and so the stock id number that S1 was trading under no longer exists.

In reality, S3 never takes the shares from S2 and now can't because those shares no longer exist, and no stock trades hands. But the loss still exists on paper, and ML1 still reports a huge loss but he still hasn't actually lost any money, although the money has been shuffled around a lot of shell accounts. This "launders" the money, so a regulator or tax man can't tell where it came from.

So ML1 or their client reports huge losses that year, so they don't have to pay any taxes. The stocks will remain "pending" (actually “sold not yet purchased”) forever, since the transaction can never complete since the ID number doesn't exist anymore. Like a computer bug that freezes a program.

Where is the proof of this? Well, it's mostly a theory, but it's the only good explanation for several weird things that have been happening. For example:
And consider this: According to its own financial reports, Knight’s “sold not yet purchased” liability jumped from $385 million at the beginning of 2008 to $1.9 billion by mid-2011.
So yeah, UBS and an American stock clearing house are probably laundering billions of dollars... again. I know, shocking news right? But I thought that the method that they were doing with was fascinating, and I thought you might too.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Re: UBS's new way to launder money (maybe)

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Edit: And anyone else who bought stock in S1 gets screwed, as happened to the subject of the article.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Not surprising. This and similar laundering schemes existed in the Third World for years.

This is just some trickle-up financial innovation! :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Penny stocks are almost universally garbage companies that probably don't exist anyway. If they're listed as a penny stock you can basically guarantee the only reason they exist is to bilk money out of suckers.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."