New York City welcomes Shuttle with fender-bender or

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

New York City welcomes Shuttle with fender-bender or

Post by TimothyC »

Timothy is pissed at something that should have never happened.
Space.com wrote:Space Shuttle Enterprise Damaged at Sea as Weather Delays NYC Intrepid Trip
by Robert Z. Pearlman, collectSPACE.com Editor
Date: 04 June 2012 Time: 10:40 AM ET

Space shuttle Enterprise suffered minor wing damage on Sunday (June 3) when it collided with the navigation guides for a New York railroad bridge during the first half of its sea trek to a Manhattan museum for display.

Mounted atop an open-air, flat-bed barge, Enterprise was on its way from John F. Kennedy (JFK) International Airport in New York to Weeks Marine in Jersey City, N.J., when the accident occurred. The shuttle, NASA's prototype for its orbiter fleet, was making the first leg of its trip to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, a converted World War II aircraft carrier that is docked on Manhattan's west side.

The shuttle, which never flew in space but was used for a series of approach and landing tests in the late 1970s, was originally scheduled for delivery to the Intrepid on Tuesday (June 5) but poor weather conditions have delayed its departure until at least Wednesday, the museum said in a statement posted to its website.
Scraping by the bridge

It wasn't weather but a different type of hurdle that slowed the shuttle's arrival in the Garden State on Sunday. The shuttle needed to pass under several waterway crossings to reach Jersey City, including the South Channel Subway Bridge, as well as the Cross Bay Veterans Memorial, Gil Hodges Memorial, and Verrazano-Narrows bridges. [Final Voyage of Space Shuttle Enterprise (Photos)]

"The railroad bridge and the Cross Bay Bridge, each presented challenges," said Dennis Jenkins, who was on board the barge with Enterprise. "The passage through the railroad bridge was narrow with only a few feet of clearance on each wingtip, while the Cross Bay was only a few feet higher than the vertical stabilizer," he wrote in an e-mail that was shared with collectSPACE.

"Mother Nature did not smile on us. Just as the barge entered the railroad bridge, the wind caught it and pushed the right wing into the bridge abutment. Fortunately, the damage seems to be cosmetic, limited to the foam that covered the wingtip. No structure or mechanisms appear to have been damaged," Jenkins wrote.

Jenkins' photos of the damage, which were also shared with collectSPACE.com, show Enterprise as it neared the bridge's navigation aid wooden bumpers. The shuttle's right wing scraped along the bridge barrier, which caused wood chunks to break away from the leading edge of Enterprise's elevon, or flap.

The Intrepid confirmed the damage in a statement released late Sunday.

"A sudden microburst of wind, measured at 35 knots, caused the rub panel foam protective layer of the wingtip of Enterprise to graze the protective wood piling bumpers in the water designed to bumper vessels," the museum said.

Despite the damage, the space shuttle continued on its way to New Jersey with little pause.

"The Cross Bay provided a few heart-stopping seconds, but that was mostly because we were gun-shy after the incident at the railroad bridge (the two bridges are only a few hundred yards apart)," Jenkins wrote. "The rest of the journey was completed without incident."

Enterprise arrived at Weeks Marine on Sunday evening, after it was already dark.

"We will [on Monday be able to] better assess the wingtip damage (it was late by the time we docked, with almost no light available)," Jenkins wrote.
Jalopnik wrote:Image
Great job there. Too bad they didn't send it to a place where there is a runway right next to the building that would house it.

Oh wait, that wasn't NYC.

That's the National Museum of the United States Air Force, or the Seattle Museum of Flight.

Why yes, I'm still bitter (and a bit irrational) that it went to the Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum. How did you know?
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
tim31
Sith Devotee

Re: New York City welcomes Shuttle with fender-bender or

Post by tim31 »

See here for the original thread in which we discussed this and found that yes, you're emotional and irrational over this. I'm glad that you can concede that in legible print Image
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

TimothyC wrote:Why yes, I'm still bitter (and a bit irrational) that it went to the Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum. How did you know?
A space shuttle on the back of an aircraft carrier in New York City is perhaps the most American thing you could have without the help of a deep fryer. I'm surprised anyone in the US opposes it.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Dude, it lost some foam. The Enterprise is fine.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

But it's fucking ridiculous that they let it go to a museum that LIED about where they'll display it, and then had to transport it by barge down a RIVER where it hit a BRIDGE!

They should have flown it to a flyover state with a convenient runway, which is probably the most important criteria, and parked it within convenient range of Timothy's camera so we could all see the glory of the Enterprise here on SDN! Frankly their treatment of this Space Shuttle Orbiter is criminal! I mean yeah the foam never went to space or anything but IT IS JUST LIKE THE FOAM THAT DID!
XXXI
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Gandalf wrote:
TimothyC wrote:Why yes, I'm still bitter (and a bit irrational) that it went to the Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum. How did you know?
A space shuttle on the back of an aircraft carrier in New York City is perhaps the most American thing you could have without the help of a deep fryer. I'm surprised anyone in the US opposes it.
Strictly speaking it's going to a parking lot across the street from the carrier. Unless they've since changed that. Seeing as how it's there now maybe they did. (EDIT: And it seems they did)

*checks* Ah, so it will go on the carrier itself. In a dome, though, unlike the other aircraft. That seems kinda lame, but if that's what they need to protect it, meh. I guess I'll wait and see what the exterior views look like when they're done to decide if it really looks that dumb or not.

EDIT2: Oh, and on a much less serious note, NYC welcoming anything with a fender-bender is highly amusing and also very fitting. :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Dude, it lost some foam. The Enterprise is fine.
Tasteless Columbia jokes spring to mind.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Goddammit, Hav. You beat me by an hour.

At least we all expected some cosmetic damage. I mean, you try to park a big out-of-town vehicle in New York City, what do you expect?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Should have landed ON the carrier :V
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Oh man can you imagine

'OV-101, you're at 1000 miles, call the ball.'

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Two of your snot-nose jockeys did a fly-by on my tower at over 15050 KNOTS! I want somebody's butt, I want it now, I've HAD IT!

DAMN! That's TWICE! I WANT SOME BUTTS!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

'You'll be lucky if you're flying a Soyuz full of rubber dogshit out of Baikonur'

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Gandalf wrote:A space shuttle on the back of an aircraft carrier in New York City is perhaps the most American thing you could have without the help of a deep fryer. I'm surprised anyone in the US opposes it.
Until it rusts away from being exposed to the elements due to poor logistical planning by the Intrepid museum.

Why yes, I'm bitter about the whole Aberdeen V-2 thing.

In 1963, the US Army had their V-2 on display inside at the Ordnance Museum:

Then they decided to move it...outdoors.

I saw it when I went to aberdeen as a callow youth. It then just disappeared in between one of my visits, and I always assumed it had just been scrapped, because it was too far gone to save.

Turns out that the National Museum of the USAF got it from the US Army, and then proceeded to send it to Kansas Cosmodrome for a $100k restoration:

I saw her at USAFM, but didn't know that it was the Aberdeen V-2 until a week or two ago. During restoration, they found .50 caliber holes in her, suggesting that she'd been strafed on a train at one point in her career, along with graffiti on the insides of the tank by Mittelwerk forced laborers.

PS -- It's really fucking simple to protect something like the shuttle from a fender bender -- you can go on wikipedia and find out the orbiter's external dimensions: 78~ foot wingspan, 122~ foot lenth; and then order up a barge that's 90 feet by 140 feet to absolutely prevent this kind of damage.

This is not a good start to Enterprise's career as a museum artifact.

PPS -- There were a lot of other places besides NYC which had museum space available; like the Seattle Museum of Flight, or BIG JOHNSON space center in houston...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Are those places New York though?

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Yeah, if we were to send Enterprise to Seattle, could we have a space shuttle sitting on an aircraft carrier in New York City?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Phantasee wrote:But it's fucking ridiculous that they let it go to a museum that LIED about where they'll display it, and then had to transport it by barge down a RIVER where it hit a BRIDGE!

They should have flown it to a flyover state with a convenient runway, which is probably the most important criteria, and parked it within convenient range of Timothy's camera so we could all see the glory of the Enterprise here on SDN! Frankly their treatment of this Space Shuttle Orbiter is criminal! I mean yeah the foam never went to space or anything but IT IS JUST LIKE THE FOAM THAT DID!
People normally don't like it when historical artifacts get damaged in transit. Suppose something like this had happened to a statue headed for the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art, or to that concentration camp barracks that we were talking about a while ago that's in the Holocaust Museum. Would you be making fun of someone for grumbling about the statue's finger getting broken off, or some of the planks from the barracks falling into the ocean?

Come on, man.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

This is more like the paint on the corner of the barracks getting scraped off.

Not a big deal, probably needed some touching up and restoration anyway.
XXXI
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

MKSheppard wrote:
Gandalf wrote:A space shuttle on the back of an aircraft carrier in New York City is perhaps the most American thing you could have without the help of a deep fryer. I'm surprised anyone in the US opposes it.
Until it rusts away from being exposed to the elements due to poor logistical planning by the Intrepid museum.

You know, the Intrepid has a number of aircraft on display outdoors and doesn't have a problem with this, right? Believe it or not some museums do in fact know what the fuck they're doing.

Moreover, the barge pilot wasn't actually an employee of the museum-they contracted it out, to the same company that towed the Intrepid herself when they refitted her a couple of years ago if I recall correctly, and the pilot made a mistake. Literally a matter of a foot or so backing the barge itself into dock. I cracked the obvious jokes myself-they need to get a Bumper Buddy for the Space Shuttle, it's here a week and already dealing with the traffic, etc-but seriously, shit like this happens, it's not a big deal.

Moreover, people seem to be flipping out about the fact it's going to be parked next to the carrier and not ON the carrier. These people don't seem to realize the grounds of the museum itself extend onto the dock and shore, and the entire area sees a ton of foot traffic. I can say with confidence that more people will see the Enterprise here, in a year, then they would a decade in Houston or Seattle. And that's setting aside the fact that New York's cruise ship terminal is literally next door, so thousands of people get to view it from the decks of their ships as they leave and arrive.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I can confirm that it's ON the carrier, not next to it.

See, here's a pic I took yesterday with my shitty phone camera. You can see the Enterprise on the deck if you squint

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Intrepid Museum wrote:The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is thrilled to be the new home of the space shuttle Enterprise, and we look forward to opening the Space Shuttle Pavilion, where Enterprise will be housed, on Intrepid’s flight deck this summer.
Third to last photo in the link above shows the Enterprise craned onto the deck.

I've been wanting to go to the Intrepid for a long time and this will finally clinch it, anyone else planning on going when the Enterprise opens?
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Intrepid Museum wrote:The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is thrilled to be the new home of the space shuttle Enterprise, and we look forward to opening the Space Shuttle Pavilion, where Enterprise will be housed, on Intrepid’s flight deck this summer.
Third to last photo in the link above shows the Enterprise craned onto the deck.

I've been wanting to go to the Intrepid for a long time and this will finally clinch it, anyone else planning on going when the Enterprise opens?
I keep meaning to go to the Intrepid whenever I visit New York but so far I've skipped it each time due to time/budget constraints. Maybe next time.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Check out the Intrepid museum website. They have photos of the hoisting and placement of the Enterprise on the Intrepid.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."