Are most transexual characters killers or

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

lance
Jedi Master

Are most transexual characters killers or

Post by lance »

their to cause problems between a guy and his wife? I can't think of any that don't fall into those two catagories
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Are most transexual characters killers or

Post by Thanas »

WTF?

You better explain yourself real fast.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I think he's talking about 'Silence of the Lambs' and 'The Crying Game'.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Depends on what type of show you are watching.

Most portrayals are pretty shitty tough, you could almost apply Sturgeons Law to it (90% of everything is shit). They either potray the transwoman in question (because you almost never see transmen) as men in womens clothes and female mannerism, over-the-top-feminine stereotypes or some other stereotype. They often get the whole procedure wrong - many don't mention the mandatory therapist visits at all, giving the impression that you can just decide "hey, i'm a woman", go to a surgeon and that's it. If they don't do that, it's almost always "oh i knew since childhood", which is not always the case - despite that, you almost never see transsexual people who transitioned early in their life. They also ignore hormone therapy and all the other stuff necessary. Many works also get the genital surgery fundamentally wrong, it's not just "chop off the penis" and much more intricate.
Oh - and you almost never see a good-looking transwoman in the media. Yes, with a bit of luck and/or some surgery, a transwoman can look just like every other woman.

I could go on like this for a looong time. What i don't really observe is what you are describing, i mostly see transwomen portrayed either as "OMG she was a man"-jokes or in clumsy transition stories.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I think *shudder* Ally McBeal had some convincing portrayals of transwomen. Or so my TVGuide article told me.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:I think *shudder* Ally McBeal had some convincing portrayals of transwomen. Or so my TVGuide article told me.
NAY! THE WORD OF CURSE HAS BEEN SPOKEN! FOUL BEASTS FROM THE SEA SHALL RISE TO CONSUME THE NATIONS OF MAN! FOR IT HAS BEEN PROPHESIED!
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

:lol:

Do you mean Ally McBeal or TvGuide? Because both qualify.
------------
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

McBeal. I like Cheers and Jeers.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Thanas wrote:I think *shudder* Ally McBeal had some convincing portrayals of transwomen. Or so my TVGuide article told me.
According to what i can gather (never watched that show), the character was just there for the whole "guy dates transwoman, has to deal with the whole "was a man"-thing" plot. In other words, hardly a character and mostly there for a plot reason.

Which is, sadly, almost always the case. Heck, in most cases the transwoman (again, you almost never see transmen) is there for shock-value or comedy. Very rarely is there any focus on the drama that that transwoman had to go true, and even less often is her life portrayed as an everyday life with just a few complications here and there.

It's kinda like racism or sexism and it's development over time. You have reached a good level of tolerance and acceptance if you can switch a characters race or gender without changing the character much. Perhaps you can display a few additional problems due to doing so, but your character remains the same. Well, in the case of gender it's mostly that the role of the character remains the same - instead of a male action hero, you have a female action hero with few if any changes. "Salt" is a good recent example - originally planned for as a male role, it was re-casted for a female role with little changes (husband instead of wife etc.)
You don't have that with transsexual characters. Being transsexual will almost ALWAYS define a character in the media - if there is a character to begin with and not just shock value/a short joke. That's just as offensive as if being black or female would completely define a character on a show.

Bottom line:
A transwoman (again, almos never transman) is either there for shock value or a short joke and therefore a very minor character, or her character will be defined by the fact that she is transsexual. This is just as bad as if a character is defined by being black, and has little character beyond stereotypes assosciated with being black.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I would like to add that that attitude might be changing somewhat now. I don't watch much TV or many movies, but from a bit of searching and the few i saw, transsexual characters are beginning to be portrayed as "character X who happens to has quirk Y" - like "intelligent professor who happens to be black" or "police officer who happens to be female" or action hero who happens to be gay". Let's hope we are moving towards "character type X who happens to be transsexual".

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Serafina wrote:transwoman
Ok, seriously. Quit adding trans to everything or "normative" at the end of everything. I honestly believe this is half the problem for trans community has to me. Pick a single common mode of speaking for your sexes. It's like with Marina I don't bother with the trans shit. She's a girl, even if she was technically born with eh wrong bits (some people just get settled with shit luck on some things), she's still get counted among the skirt wearing girls in my book (and once she got her hormones firing on the right cylinders she's one of the more rational folk on the board to boot). Just pick a common naming system so we're all not flabbergasted and confused when one of you gets pissed because someone said the wrong "trans" combo.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

After my surgery I'll be post operative trans-fat.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Serafina wrote:transwoman
Ok, seriously. Quit adding trans to everything or "normative" at the end of everything. I honestly believe this is half the problem for trans community has to me. Pick a single common mode of speaking for your sexes. It's like with Marina I don't bother with the trans shit. She's a girl, even if she was technically born with eh wrong bits (some people just get settled with shit luck on some things), she's still get counted among the skirt wearing girls in my book (and once she got her hormones firing on the right cylinders she's one of the more rational folk on the board to boot). Just pick a common naming system so we're all not flabbergasted and confused when one of you gets pissed because someone said the wrong "trans" combo.
Uh - what?
Look, if i say "transwoman" i mean "woman who happens to be transsexual". It's just shorter, and i only use it when the fact that the person in question is trans matters. In this case, it does, because it's the topic. Nor do i get pissed off about naming conventions, as long as you don't adress a transwoman as male or a transman as female. Nor i i ever adress myself as a transwoman unless i am in a discussion about it.

Your complaint is like, when talking about the portrayal of black people or gay people in the media, complaining that i always say "gay" or "black" when talking about their portrayal. Duh, it's necessary to make the distinction if the distinction is relevant. In almost all cases, it isn't - in this topic, it is, because the media ALWAYS portray a transwoman different from a non-transsexual woman. Just like the fact that some dude is black or gay doesn't matter unless you are discussing the rigts of black or gay people, their specific problems with society or somesuch.

Now shush, i want to finish reading my lesbian fanfiction before i go to bed.

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

No, really, pick a fucking naming convention and stick with it.

Just sayin'...
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Coffee, just STFU.
------------
------------
My LPs
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Mr. Coffee wrote:No, really, pick a fucking naming convention and stick with it.

Just sayin'...
Who? Me? I have been using mine very consistently. So has the LGBT... community i am interacting with in real life. It's also (IIRC) the same terminology Marina is using, and quite widespread - IIRC even used in scientific literature.
So yes, what Thanas said.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I thought that Nip/Tuck had some interesting plotlines involving the transgendered, however since everyone on that show is fucked up, milage may vary by lightspeed.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I was about to comment on that, with the season 2 plot line, it came across to me that the villain of season 2 was crazy because she was a transsexual. I didn't really think well of that one.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I haven't read it in a while, but Silence Of The Lambs handled the subject quite well as I recall. Treatment only being offered after extensive psychological evaluation to diagnose gender identity disorder was actually a plot point.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I think the episode of The Lone Gunmen with Carol the Transwoman worked out fine. Her brother is the one that turned out to be a dick.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Serafina wrote:Oh - and you almost never see a good-looking transwoman in the media. Yes, with a bit of luck and/or some surgery, a transwoman can look just like every other woman.
Actually, the transwomen from here whose pictures I've seen aren't bad looking at all. Quite presentable.

Yeah, different than the media stereotypes.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

also the bestest portrayal is in that great work where the person's efforts allowed us to open a portal to blow up Satan Merkatrig with a cruise missile

:D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Famke Janssen played that role in NipTuck and she's smokin hot.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Hmmm. I'm not sure if Naoto Shirogane counts as a Trans-man, since it's only the Shadow that wants to go through with the operation. Then again, this is hir Jungian Shadow, so she's literally trying to force hir own self into a sex change operation. A lot of the rest of the game then goes to a lot of trouble to downplay this. Actual case of transexuality, or just a teenager with no strong female role model trying to destroy her feminine traits in order to fit into a male dominated profession?
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)