Has anyone seen Tom Ford's A Single Man?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Has anyone seen Tom Ford's A Single Man?

Post by Phantasee »

http://colorcubic.com/2010/10/26/colors ... ingle-man/
I suggest you read the story at the link; the pictures are key.
Last fall, Tom Ford made his directorial debut with A Single Man, a film adapted from a Christopher Isherwood novel of the same name. Having followed his career closely over the years, I’ve witnessed him resurrect the Gucci brand, make Halston-inspired fashion popular again in the mid-90s, then break off to form the successful TOM FORD line. Needless to say, I wasn’t surprised when I recently watched this film. Every grainy scene is beyond gorgeous. Aside from the stunning mid-century modern fashion and production design (by the same team that designed Mad Men), Ford uses color as an instrument to convey love and loss.

The story is a simple one: A gay professor loses his longtime partner to a car accident, and questioning the meaning of his own life and seemingly bleak future, carefully plans to commit suicide. Over the course of a routine day, he neatly organizes what remains of his life on his desk, buys bullets, gives a class lecture, is propositioned by a handsome prostitute at the liquor store, has dinner with an old friend, and finally, gets entangled with a young, seductive student. In these scenes, Ford unfolds the narrative with color: opening with coldness, expressing moments of love and attraction with saturation, bridging the story with a singular black & white memory, and ending with warmth. Colors subtlely change as you progress through the film, though made much more apparent in the still frames captured above.
XXXI