Raise your glasses

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Raise your glasses

Post by Darth Nostril »

Congratulations Ireland Wales get their arses kicked

Don't mind saying that was a nail biting last ten minutes, it got too bloody close for comfort.
Nevertheless the wishes of the Irish and English prevailed (no sodding way were we going to root for the smegging Welsh of all people) and Ireland gets it's first Grand Slam in 61 years.

Coming this close to St Paddys day it's going to be weeks before you guys sober up :twisted:

So bottoms up, last one conscious is a big girls blouse.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Re: Raise your glasses

Post by White Haven »

I believe that's 'Last one conscious walks home with everyone else's wallets.'
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Darth Nostril wrote:(no sodding way were we going to root for the smegging Welsh of all people)
FUCK YOU

lol

Ah screw it, Ireland deserved it.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Tahlan
Youngling

Post by Tahlan »

Darth Nostril wrote:Congratulations Ireland Wales get their arses kicked

Don't mind saying that was a nail biting last ten minutes, it got too bloody close for comfort.
Nevertheless the wishes of the Irish and English prevailed (no sodding way were we going to root for the smegging Welsh of all people) and Ireland gets it's first Grand Slam in 61 years.

OK, I'm a Yank, and even after reading the article I had no clue, but suspicions, you were talking about rugby, then I watched the video clip. But I'm curious about your slang, which I find fascinating and would like to know more about. I know what an "arse" is. But "sodding," is that like getting "buggered?" And what does "smegging" mean. And why is it apparently not a good thing to be a "big girl's blouse?"
"And this is the house I pass through on my way to power and light."
~James Dickey, Power and Light
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Tahlan wrote:
Darth Nostril wrote:Congratulations Ireland Wales get their arses kicked

OK, I'm a Yank, and even after reading the article I had no clue, but suspicions, you were talking about rugby, then I watched the video clip. But I'm curious about your slang, which I find fascinating and would like to know more about. I know what an "arse" is. But "sodding," is that like getting "buggered?" And what does "smegging" mean. And why is it apparently not a good thing to be a "big girl's blouse?"
Good gods, you're opening up a right can of worms there. Are you sure you can cope with the consequences of knowing this information?
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

But "sodding," is that like getting "buggered?" And what does "smegging" mean. And why is it apparently not a good thing to be a "big girl's blouse?"
"Sod" is abbreviated from "sodomite", so yes, it's "buggered". "Smegging" is a made-up swearword from Red Dwarf that means as much as "fuck" in all its permutations. A "big girl's blouse" is an effeminate and ineffectual individual, occasionally used as a "coward" or "wimp".
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

In all my life I was ever so in to Rugby as I was yesterday. From what I'd read Wales are considered one of the best teams going now so it's credit to the Ireland team that they beat them and ran a clean sweep of the 6 Nations. Declan Kidney's attempted mind games failed hard. Leave the mind games to Alex Ferguson son.

Catherine Zeta-Jones, Griff Rhys Jones, Tom Jones, Ioan Gruffudd, Rhys Iffans, The Stereophonics, can you hear me?! Your boys took a hell of a beating.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

I really wish i'd done as I planned and gone to Dublin now, I went to Cardiff last year when Wales won the Grand Slam and it's absolutely insane to be in a capital when the country wins the Grand Slam.

Ah well was damn nice to see Ireland win, they bloody deserved it thats for sure. 80 minutes of some damn fine Rugby from both sides, with a nailbiting finish, penalty kicks flying both ways putting one ahead, then the other and that final Welsh kick from halfway that just dipped under the posts.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Bounty wrote:
But "sodding," is that like getting "buggered?" And what does "smegging" mean. And why is it apparently not a good thing to be a "big girl's blouse?"
"Smegging" is a made-up swearword from Red Dwarf that means as much as "fuck" in all its permutations.
Smeg is an abbreviation of Smegma, although you are correct, the writers wanted to have their characters be able to swear without bringing down the wrath of the censors.
Minischoles wrote:80 minutes of some damn fine Rugby from both sides, with a nailbiting finish, penalty kicks flying both ways putting one ahead, then the other and that final Welsh kick from halfway that just dipped under the posts.
That was real edge of the seat sportsmanship going on there, when the Welsh went for that last kick I was digging my nails into my palms wishing with all my strength for them to fail.
Nearly gave the dogs a heartache yelling Woohooo! when it dropped short :D

Almost made me wish I was still playing rugby, but at 36 & a bit out of shape I doubt I'd last five minutes now.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Lord Pounder wrote:Catherine Zeta-Jones, Griff Rhys Jones, Tom Jones, Ioan Gruffudd, Rhys Iffans, The Stereophonics, can you hear me?! Your boys took a hell of a beating.
You left out Feeder, Future of the Left, and Charlotte Church. Of course, the last one would have been particularly upset seeing as she is a baby factory Gaviin Henson :P

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
Tahlan
Youngling

Post by Tahlan »

Bounty wrote:
"Sod" is abbreviated from "sodomite", so yes, it's "buggered". "Smegging" is a made-up swearword from Red Dwarf that means as much as "fuck" in all its permutations. A "big girl's blouse" is an effeminate and ineffectual individual, occasionally used as a "coward" or "wimp".
Thanks Bounty for the edifying words of instruction. So, the next time someone calls me a "big girl's blouse," I'd have every right to knock the "smegging" snot out of him and to "sod" his ass so that he'll think twice before ever insulting me again. Did I get that right? (lol)
"And this is the house I pass through on my way to power and light."
~James Dickey, Power and Light
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Not... quite but you're going in the right direction.

Sod is never used in the context you employed it in, and you're going to have to spell it 'arse' or it just won't look/sound right.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

Darth Nostril wrote:
Bounty wrote:
"Smegging" is a made-up swearword from Red Dwarf that means as much as "fuck" in all its permutations.
Smeg is an abbreviation of Smegma, although you are correct, the writers wanted to have their characters be able to swear without bringing down the wrath of the censors.
Minischoles wrote:80 minutes of some damn fine Rugby from both sides, with a nailbiting finish, penalty kicks flying both ways putting one ahead, then the other and that final Welsh kick from halfway that just dipped under the posts.
That was real edge of the seat sportsmanship going on there, when the Welsh went for that last kick I was digging my nails into my palms wishing with all my strength for them to fail.
Nearly gave the dogs a heartache yelling Woohooo! when it dropped short :D

Almost made me wish I was still playing rugby, but at 36 & a bit out of shape I doubt I'd last five minutes now.
It was something to see an entire pub full of people, welsh and irish fans alike freeze and go quiet in the dying minutes, every successful kick being greeted with cheers, and you could actually hear traffic going by outside as the Welsh lined up for that last kick. I was literally on the edge of my bar stool, willing them to miss.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll