Favourite end of level boss?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Favourite end of level boss?

Post by Sir Sirius »

So who or what, from which game, is your favourite end of level boss?

I'd have to go with The Cyberdemon from Doom (the original) for being a though bastard to kill with the minigun :x or Ugh-Zan III the vicious warlock from Serious Sam for being just simply HUGE 8) . Also Jerec's Sith followers from Darkforces 2 were nice, the same goes for the darkJedi in Jediknight 2.
+ some oldies that I can't remember right now.

Oh, just remembered, the final boss from The Chaos Engine was extra neat.
You know this game, man I loved that game...got to go find it now, I should still have in tucked away in some dark corner...
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Hmm....can you count the death star as an end boss?
If so I nominate it from the X-Wing games (not the rogue squadron ones....ugh).
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

The final boss in Serious Sam. If you haven't played that final level where this 300-foot-tall monster comes stomping up the Egyptian fairway, you ain't seen SHIT.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
CNS Sarajevo
Youngling

Post by CNS Sarajevo »

Orcus in Smash TV. He just would not die. A friend of mine still has nightmares about one called Esteroth Paingiver, I forget the game.
I love the smell of BDZ in the morning.

"If the battle cannot be won without me, then I will be brought on deck."
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Magus. The fight in his castle in Chrono Trigger was so damn cool. It took me forever to win that one.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Would a massive battle in Shogun: total war count?.....

To set the scene: My last battle (which I won by the by)

I was outnumbered by nearly 4000 samurai

Enemy: 9000
Me: 4490

Heads taken: 2102
Units lost: 500

That was one motherfucker of a battle, let me tell you...and lasted for ages...the screen had a 1500 troop limit on each side so as troops were killed....more came onscreen...ambush anyone? :twisted:
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Sephiroth. I've only seen him once, while a freind of mine was playing "Kingdom Hearts". HO-LY SHIT.

Bowser will always hold a special place with me, as will Master Hand.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

THe Queen in Willow. Man, we'd stand there and pour countless quarters into that machine trying to figure out how to beat her.

Bowser... yeah, there was a classic. And Gannon in Zelda (THE ORIGINAL NINTENDO VERSION). I always got frustrated with end bosses, though.
Dillon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Dillon »

Would have to be Ganon at the end of Ocarina of Time. He was rather easy, but the scenery and his attacks were really cool looking.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Majin Gojira wrote:Sephiroth. I've only seen him once, while a freind of mine was playing "Kingdom Hearts". HO-LY SHIT.
SHIT YEAH! Sephiroth is totally badass, both in FF7 and KH.

Ansem, the final boss of KH is really awesome too.
JADAFETWA
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Lavos.

That was a totally badass boss, with totally badass music. You really felt like you were saving the world.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Lavos.

A huge ass frekly battle and if you lost you saw the world destroyed before you had a chance to reload

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I had a lot of trouble with some of the bosses in Deus Ex. 1st time i played the way through i never bothered getting the kill codes for the old mechs and Gunther wiped the floor with me, That other one in the sub base was a killer too, !st he blinded ya with a Plasma Gun or what ever it was then the bastard had a cloak.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I don't know if I'd consider him the best, but Half-Life's endgame boss was probably the most damned annoying of any I'd seen. First time around, it took me a while to realize that you have shoot out the power crystals... and in the meantime, I kept getting teleported into a chamber with a Garg...
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Stormbringer wrote:Magus. The fight in his castle in Chrono Trigger was so damn cool. It took me forever to win that one.
I remember fighting Magus the first time. The music absolutely blew me out of this world.

I love it. Mysterious, ominous, "holy-shit, he's coming" style opening, followed by a charged bacchanale. Awesome.

And you can't beat Magus as far as coolness. Turns his back to you, puts on his gloves, and gets ready to kick your ass.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

My favorite boss would have to be Kefka. A bizarre tower, followed by a gigantic, wicked angel. That guy was insane.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Metal Gear REX, that was a funky fight and had meaning.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Lavos or Kefka.

Nice big I can obliterate the world type boss you have to whup...though with some creative weaponry choices, Kefka, sadly...was a yawn.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

The Dark Matter from Kirby64.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The dragon at the end of Tomb Raider II was nasty as well.
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

The Chozo Spirit King from Metroid Prime.
Just plain cool....
Also the Death Star from the X-Wing games. :D
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

The Death Star at the end of all the mission in the Star Wars Arcade game.

That, and Innoruuk...
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Durran Korr wrote:My favorite boss would have to be Kefka. A bizarre tower, followed by a gigantic, wicked angel. That guy was insane.
Kefka is to wimpy for my taste. I take Shodan from System Shock.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Galcian and Ramirez from Skies of Arcadia.

They had some of the nastiest looking supers in any RPG I've ever seen.

Galcian has one where he rides a cyclone up into the air, high above the sky fortress you're invading. You can even see the massive airship battle still raging around between the Air Pirates and Yafutoma against the Valuan Armada. He raises his sword, coming down in a steaking comet, destroying ships on his way down on both sides, right on top of a single character.

Ramirez has this nasty attack called Silver Eclipse that has to be seen to describe it. And in his final form, he has an attack where he picks up one character, impales them with several tentacles from all sides, then hits them with a massive energy blast. He can also temporarily gain control of one character, and have them perform one of their supers on his/her teammates.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

There's...too many of em!!!

Man. The early ones back in the 8 bit days were some cheap shits.

Kirby's Dreamland-From King Didi to the Nightmare. That was one hell of a battle that bruised the thumbs.

Sonic The Hedghog-Any of the Robotnik battles. Watching that damn Meglo Robotnik rise up in 2 though was some shit.

Sonic Adventures-That was Robotnik was some shit. Now,now. For Sonic it was the end boss. Chaos was Super Sonic's end boss.

Better than all of those is the form of Gannon in The Legend of Zelda. Woo, getting to him was hell. Fighthing him was more than that.
Over that, Shadow Link from Zelda II The Adventures of Link. Fighting yourself, the evil self. ooooh.

More than that. Better than that. Okay, maybe not harder, but it was hell to highwater by this point. Gannondorf. From The Legend of Zelda Ocharina of Time. Bitchin. Just when you thought they were going against it all, he turned into a damn PIG! Sooye!!!

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am