What are your favourite Dog Breeds?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Zor
Sith Acolyte

What are your favourite Dog Breeds?

Post by Zor »

Watching the WKC Dogshow, i was wondering what are your favourate dog breeds. I know that Shep has his German Sheperds, if was to risk a geuss Mike likes Shih Tzus and mine are Pugs, Bulldogs, Labs (thanks to some of my dad's siblings), German Shepards and Irish Wolfhounds but what are your favourate dog breeds?

Zor
Last edited by Zor on 2007-02-18 09:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

My family has always gotten pure-breed golden retriever showdogs. Good personalities and very friendly.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

I own a Beagle and a Rat Terrier and I love both breeds. My parents have owned three Jack Russels in the past and I absolutely LOATHE these dogs.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Lapdogs are definitely the way to go... Shih Tzus are my favorites. The only problem with that breed is that they tend to have skin problems that make them all itchy, but they're adorable, lovable, loyal animals. Plus, they don't shed.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Bloodhounds. We got a pure blood, and she's a mischievous little girl, but she's damned lovable and extremely pretty.

I also like old English bullies for some reason.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Wolves. Wolves are dogs. The best kind of dog. Evar.

Seriously, just about any kind of dog with wolf blood in it, I adore. The more closely it's related to a Grey Wolf, the more I love it. Malamutes are cool too. Bar that, I don't like dogs. I'm more of a cat person, but Wolf-like dogs are just adorable.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Having grown up with them since a very young age and having seen many, many litters come and go, I have to say I've got bias for American Pit Bull Terriers.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I like big dogs. Don't get me wrong, the little dogs are cute and funny and hilariously excitable, but there's something really charming to me about a big dog.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

I have a couple of favorite recognized and unrecognized breeds (Silver will probably love most of them):
Czechoslovakian Wolfdog German Shepherd-Carpathian Timber Wolf Hybrid
American Tundra Shepherd Basically an experiment to add more Wolf stock into the GSD to create a better military working dog.
Sarloos Wolfhond
Shikoku
Doberman Pinscher
Shiloh Shepherd A larger GSD with plush and smooth hair.
The German Shepherd
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

I enjoy a lot of breeds. I own a mutt of a maltese, very affectionate and active dog though thoroughly spoiled.

Labs are also amazing animals, extremely gentle for their size. The only German Shepard I know is an attention whore, but I love him all the same. Whenever I visit his owners, this big dog decides he wants to sit next to me (or as often the case, on me) and likes to put my hand in its mouth.

Chiuhuas (sp?) are kind of sons of bitches, and after like 8 years my friend's finally likes me, but as soon as they decide to like you, they're fun and very very protective of you.

There's also the Korean dogs, Gindos. I hear if they're not bred well they're really aggressive. But the ones I know of, one's an indepndent dog, but the other one is dying for affection that next to my dog I love this one second. If I'm not petting her, she's always nudging at me until I do so.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

I've currently got a Border Collie mix (a mutt); she's the sweetest, best behaved, most intelligent dog you can imagine. Her behavior may not be typically exuberantly energetic like Border Collies are known for, but she's made a believer in the breed out of me.

I'm also extremely partial to Great Danes, they're usually extremely gentle, intelligent, loving, loyal and protective dogs, but sadly only have about half the lifespan of smaller breeds.
That's a common thing among very large dogs.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Frank Hipper wrote:I've currently got a Border Collie mix (a mutt); she's the sweetest, best behaved, most intelligent dog you can imagine. Her behavior may not be typically exuberantly energetic like Border Collies are known for, but she's made a believer in the breed out of me.

I'm also extremely partial to Great Danes, they're usually extremely gentle, intelligent, loving, loyal and protective dogs, but sadly only have about half the lifespan of smaller breeds.
I saw a video on the internet once of a great dane I believe it was playing with a little baby. Very adorable video as the baby was laughing its head off as the dog was nudging and playfully growling at it.
HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Post by HSRTG »

Jack Russel Terrier. I own one.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
Walsh
Padawan Learner

Post by Walsh »

Staffordshire bull terriers. Incredibly loyal and friendly to humans, but due to their dog, bear, and bull fighting history, they can be aggressive around other animals if not properly trained.

Boxers are the friendliest dogs I've ever known, but all three of the ones we owned were riddled with small cancerous tumors by the time they died.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I like huskies, actually. They're beautiful and fun. I also like German shepherds, border collies, and Labradors.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Trytostaydead wrote:
Frank Hipper wrote:I've currently got a Border Collie mix (a mutt); she's the sweetest, best behaved, most intelligent dog you can imagine. Her behavior may not be typically exuberantly energetic like Border Collies are known for, but she's made a believer in the breed out of me.

I saw a video on the internet once of a great dane I believe it was playing with a little baby. Very adorable video as the baby was laughing its head off as the dog was nudging and playfully growling at it.
They've got a reputation for almost being able to babysit children.

They're pretty stand-offish with strangers, though.

Good inside dogs, too. They rarely shed, and their short hair makes any shedding that occurs a small problem, and they're nimble too.
Get that tail wagging, though, and you need to watch your lamps and bric-a-brac. :P

For an animal bred to hunt wild boar, they're unbelieveably sweet natured.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The Kernel wrote:My parents have owned three Jack Russels in the past and I absolutely LOATHE these dogs.
get out
HSRTG wrote:Jack Russel Terrier. I own one.
QFT.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Re: What are your favourite Dog Breeds?

Post by Covenant »

Zor wrote:Watching the WKC Dogshow, i was wondering what are your favourate dog breeds. I know that Shep has his German Sheperds, if was to risk a geuss Mike likes Shih Tzus and mine are Pugs, Bulldogs, Labs (thanks to some of my dad's siblings), German Shepards and Irish Wolfhounds but what are your favourate dog breeds?

Zor
Bulldogs, definately! I've had two, and they are the gentlest dogs you can imagine. So good with kids, especially kids who are yanking on ears and rolling them around and swinging sticks at them. You need them to be properly socialized to other dogs, but if they are, they're just teddybears.

I have the cutest puppy pictures ever of my bulldog Rosie.

Any kind of retriever and other kind of large working/hunting dog. Working dogs are usually very well mannered and make great companions, and hunting dogs are active pets that respond well to training. I have no love for lapdogs or dog-aggressive breeds, but that's mostly because you can't count on your average owner to be smart about their animal.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I've owned a beagle/hound mix, and many of the dogs I grew up around were mutts. Hey, it was a small town in WV, we don't get purebred dogs that often outside of blueticks, beagles, and other hounds. (There was the red Doberman named 'Blood' that a neighbor had... she liked me more than her owner's kids oddly enough)

After I got out of that town, I met a lot of purebred pups, like Nikita the Akita. I've even had the honor of handling one of the Æthelmearc Royal Hounds, a pack of rescued greyhounds that are coursed at SCA Events. That was breathtaking. I was holding the quick-release in one hand, the other literally holding the greyhound's chest up to keep it from running too soon as the chase-flag came round. When "TallyHo" was called, I released both holds and by the time I'd taken one step back the hound was ten yards away and gaining on the flag.
Can you guess I'd like a greyhound? :lol: The Royal Kennelmaster was happy to talk to me about them. He described them as "cats in dogfur", very willing to cuddle, sleep, and be lazy, with moments of extreme action.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I prefer mutts but that's just me.

Boarder Callies are awesome too.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

General Schatten wrote:The German Shepherd
Seconded. I also really like the Keeshond as that is the breed my dog was before he passed. :(

He was an awesome dog though.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Huskies, German Shepard's and Golden Retrievers.

Huskies are good companion dogs, great to have a dog that wants to go everywhere you do, and is more than happy to nap once he gets there. Not to mention Huskie puppies are so damn cute it hurts.

German Shepard's, are great general working dogs, and most of the right breeds will bond with you for life. Not to mention excellent guard dogs.

Golden Retrievers, generally speaking, nice lovable dogs, barking can be a problem but great with everyone.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

The Kernel wrote:I own a Beagle and a Rat Terrier and I love both breeds. My parents have owned three Jack Russels in the past and I absolutely LOATHE these dogs.
Let me guess... you're not particularly good with dogs that require strong leadership or lots of attention... like Jack Russell's.

My wife and I currently have a Jack Russell and a Catahoula Leopard Dog; I suspect we'll be owning these breeds as long as we're alive. I'm also partial to Mastiff's and Rottweiler's - I'm not a huge fan of lap dogs; I prefer working breeds.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Shelties rule
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

I like Rottweiler and Irish Wolfshounds, but as long as the dog is big, I'm happy :)
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.