Steven Seagal vs Jackie Chan

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Which one the two stars would be victorious in a brawl?

Steven Seagal
30%
Jackie Chan
70%
You fool! David Caradine would kick everyone's ass
No votes

Total votes: 10

Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Steven Seagal vs Jackie Chan

Post by Next of Kin »

I saw a similar thread with with Jackie Chan vs Darth Vader. But what is your opinion? I think it is evenly matched. Both have an understanding of the art of Aikido/Hapkido (hapkido in Jackie Chan's case). However, Seagal's superior Aikido knowledge and techniques wins the day!
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Anything goes but no lightsabers or guns/blasters allowed!
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Oh please!

Jackie Chan opens a can of whoop-ass for Seagal.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

I don't care about technique; Steven Seagal's movies are boring, so he doesn't get my vote.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

You mean to say that you didn't see the Seagal movie where he plays a tough, renegade cop?
:D
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Jacky is the master of sixteen forms of Martial Arts
Six of which are of his own invention
That and he has the luck of the devil himself
What do you think?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Jacky is the master of sixteen forms of Martial Arts
Six of which are of his own invention
That and he has the luck of the devil himself
What do you think?
His core art is and has always been Hapkido. Hey, he could have invented 100 arts and proclaim himself 20th dan but Seagal would still defend against his kicks and punches. All Seagal would need to do is to grab Chan's wrist as he was punching and throw Chan across the room. Remember this isn't the movies where combatants can exchange heavy blows without flinching!
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Next of Kin wrote:You mean to say that you didn't see the Seagal movie where he plays a tough, renegade cop?
:D
I think you're mistaken, that was Bruce Willis. ;)

And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

And then Bruce shattered his tough guy image with his 'Bruno' musical persona! :lol:
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Remember this isn't the movies where combatants can exchange heavy blows without flinching
You forget Mr Chan does all his own Stunts remeber? and second he HAS been thrown from a moving Bus, Cars, He fell three Stories onto a Gazbio type structer and walked away he leaped from a bridge onto a moving AirFoil and only broke his foot. And Mr Segal? Gee....

Second Chan has demostrated movies and otherwise he can break holds quickly and also RL fact he knows how when someone graps him by the wrist and throws him how to turn that into a backflip
You forget unlike *Cough some people *Segal *cough he rarly uses Wires, one Somone sweep kicks him and he backflips over them HE's doing that not Camera trickly NOT stuntdoubles, None of that its HIM

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Bruce Willis kicks much ass. :)
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Bean: Chan does all his stunts without assisstance unless in major hollywood movies.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

You forget Mr Chan does all his own Stunts remeber? and second he HAS been thrown from a moving Bus, Cars, He fell three Stories onto a Gazbio type structer and walked away he leaped from a bridge onto a moving AirFoil and only broke his foot. And Mr Segal? Gee....
Then a mere stunt man could defeat Seagal! :lol:
Look, I'll give credit to Chan for doing his own stunts and his movie martial arts are breath taking but that doesn't mean that he won't flinch if gets poped on the nose!

Jackie would try a high kick and Seagal would gently move forward and to the side, backfist Chan, hook the hand and remove his balance and take him to the gound. Pick the arm, shoulder or elbow lock of your choice that Seagal would apply on Chan.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Kin: You argue as if chan will do one thing and nothing else while letting seagal take him out. You also assume seagal is fast enough to dodge chan.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Kin: You argue as if chan will do one thing and nothing else while letting seagal take him out. You also assume seagal is fast enough to dodge chan.
You have a valid point. Since Aikido is a defensive art I will assume that Seagal will take the defensive. Chan's art forms are primarily kicking arts. Thus, Chan would probably try a kicking combo. I'm not implying that Chan would just kick but he would try to kick in order to lead to another move (strike, thow, etc.)[/quote]
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

theres also the fact that no martial arts movie is ever realistic. fights are never like they are in movies so we have no real idea of how either would fight.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

theres also the fact that no martial arts movie is ever realistic. fights are never like they are in movies so we have no real idea of how either would fight.
I disagree, both Chan and Seagal are very reputable martial artists. Seagal's main style happens to be Aikido and thus we'll see alot of blocks, throws, and joint locks. Chan is an accomplished Hapkidoka. Thus, he'll use kicks, strikes, some joint locks and throws.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Oh I'm not denying the style being accurate, i'm saying that fights in movies are generally intentionally drawn out and shtuff.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

So why does this fight have to be intentionally drawn out? Let's say the two get into an altercation in a bar over some babe. The throws, kicks, and punches won't be pretty but coming from these two they'll still be damn effective.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Which is the point. In a real fight, punches will instantly fuck up the receiver making him even more vulnerable. And since we've never actually seen Chan or Seagal in a REAL fight, we dont know whos quicker, which would be important.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Which is the point. In a real fight, punches will instantly fuck up the receiver making him even more vulnerable.
Ya, if they decide to stand there and trade blows which is trademark wwf then Chan will be beat but it won't come down to that. What ever happened to blocking or getting out of the way? Why must we assume that these two will forget these fundamentals?

And since we've never actually seen Chan or Seagal in a REAL fight, we dont know whos quicker, which would be important.
Irrelevent. They didn't get their martial arts prowess from a gumball machine; they spent many hours training for different attack situations. Since both practioners are very high ranking I would say that there are few that would give these two any trouble. In both martial arts (Aikido and Hapkido) you're timing has to be perfect. People look at Seagal and see his size and assume that he's slower than molases.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Chan would be hard pressed to strike a telling blow if Segal hung his chin out and let him hit it. He has to be something like twice Chan's mass.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

So Seagal's weakness is the all-mighty do-nut. :) It's not like the guy is a fat slob.