OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Raesene
Jedi Master

Rome Season II

Post by Raesene »

Season II of HBO's Rome will start on January 14th, 2007

hooray !! :D

I've been looking forward to that since the end of season 1, not because I don't know what happens in the big picture, but how they show it - Hind's death scene was in my opinion magnificent.

(note to self: buy grapes... :wink: )

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Can't wait to see the rise of Augustus. The only thing I didn't like about Rome season 1 was it could've have some larger scale in terms of battles and crowds. But I guess I shouldn't expect Gladiator size battles.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

FUCK YEAH!
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Hot damn! Awesome series, this is like the best news ever.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Pax Britannia
Padawan Learner

Post by Pax Britannia »

Historically this could be interesting because 'Rome' potrayed Augustus as very young at the time of Caesars death where as in reality he was an adult and leading a legion in Albania.
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

If anyone is intersted in a teaser: Link

EDIT: Rome II Promo
Walsh
Padawan Learner

Post by Walsh »

Fire Fly wrote:If anyone is intersted in a teaser: Link

EDIT: Rome II Promo
Are there many spoilers, as with the spiderman 3 trailer?
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

*Punt*
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Has Rome series 1 been shown in Australia yet? I seem to recall seeing an add for it recently.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

Walsh wrote: Are there many spoilers, as with the spiderman 3 trailer?
The first link is just generic horse riding and "OMG Caesar got wtfpwned!" looks.

The second link is more behind the scenes look at the sets and shooting, as well as interviews with the actors themselves.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Pax Britannia wrote:Historically this could be interesting because 'Rome' potrayed Augustus as very young at the time of Caesars death where as in reality he was an adult and leading a legion in Albania.
Isn't he 18 or so in 44 BC ? While he seemed to be portrayed as very young during his first few episodes, they mentioned him getting his toga and thus becoming an adult. (and of course, there was his special excursion with Pullo :wink: )

(edited typo)

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Huzzah!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

atg wrote:Has Rome series 1 been shown in Australia yet? I seem to recall seeing an add for it recently.
Nine showed two eps then axed it and have now brought it back in the non-ratings period.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

This better be on the BBC at about the same time too.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Pax Britannia wrote:Historically this could be interesting because 'Rome' potrayed Augustus as very young at the time of Caesars death where as in reality he was an adult and leading a legion in Albania.
The actor who played Augustus looked between 15 to 17 in last season of Rome, but in those days you were more or less seen as a full adult in your teens anyway and the actor has grown up a bit in the last 18 months to two years since the last season. So I don't he would be too young to command vast armies and found a new Roman state.

I saw most of Rome and I was mostly impressed with it, however despite the epic events, everything felt a bit too claustrophobic and relatively small scale (but it was on a TV budget).
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Big Orange wrote: I saw most of Rome and I was mostly impressed with it, however despite the epic events, everything felt a bit too claustrophobic and relatively small scale (but it was on a TV budget).
That was the reason I liked this series, it shows us the city without all the marble palaces and temples added by the emperors.

And Max Pirkis, who plays Octavius, was born in 1989 according to imdb.
(although he looked older in season one)

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Raesene wrote: That was the reason I liked this series, it shows us the city without all the marble palaces and temples added by the emperors.
I've seen a recent docu-drama on the BBC and there is a better mixture of epic opulence and back ally squalor.
He's only four years younger than me and is already in his late teens (essentially a young adult), so I don't see the problem of him being too young.
Last edited by Big Orange on 2006-12-18 09:58am, edited 1 time in total.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Big Orange wrote:
Raesene wrote:
Big Orange wrote: That was the reason I liked this series, it shows us the city without all the marble palaces and temples added by the emperors.
I've seen a recent docu-drama on the BBC and there is a better mixture of epic opulence and back ally squalor.
I hope this will be shown in german/austrian TV too...
Big Orange wrote:
He's only four years younger than me and is already in his late teens (essentially a young adult), so I don't see the problem of him being too young.
You misunderstood me, I think his age is perfect for the role, accodring to wiki (the only reference I have access to right now) Octavius was born in 63 BC, so Pirkis' age is perfect.

Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

I wonder what will happen to Vorenus and Pullo. Evidently they're going to stick together, but will Vorenus choose Antony and Octavius (and between the two, whom?) or go with Brutus and the Republic?
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Trytostaydead wrote:I wonder what will happen to Vorenus and Pullo. Evidently they're going to stick together, but will Vorenus choose Antony and Octavius (and between the two, whom?) or go with Brutus and the Republic?
Octavius - I want season 3 and 4 :P

Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Raesene wrote:
Trytostaydead wrote:I wonder what will happen to Vorenus and Pullo. Evidently they're going to stick together, but will Vorenus choose Antony and Octavius (and between the two, whom?) or go with Brutus and the Republic?
Octavius - I want season 3 and 4 :P
Need to start a petition. I believe this is the last season due to the huge costs involved. HBO makes great shows that make you wanting more and more, and they know it too, which is a shame that things get cancelled not because of ratings or awards, but budget.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Man the Torrents!

Plunder and loot ahead.

Also I bought S1 of Rome, just because it is so asskicking cool!
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I just finished watching all twelve eps yesterday, and frankly it's a fantastic series. I might just wind up buying the dvds when I have the extra cash next.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Raesene wrote: You misunderstood me, I think his age is perfect for the role, accodring to wiki (the only reference I have access to right now) Octavius was born in 63 BC, so Pirkis' age is perfect.
And Pirkis is a great late teen actor as well (when he was a little younger he had a minor role on Master and Commander).