Pistols through ages?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Pistols through ages?

Post by Kitsune »

Assume you have a character who has lived from the 1850s or so and uses pistols. . . .
Periodically, they replace them with new and better firearms, what weapons would they use through time?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Re: Pistols through ages?

Post by Torben »

Were it me, I'd probably start with a Colt 1848 Dragoon until 1873 or so when the Single Action Army is introduced. I'd probably stay with this for quite some time. When the 1911 comes out, I'd see it as a toy, not a real pistol. As such, it would take some time before I'd even consider trying one. Given its performance in WWII, I might be persuaded to test one out. That would be my sidearm for the next 40 years or so. Maybe in the early 00's I'd try out some of the new breed of polymer grip pistols, but I would probably stick with my trusty 1911 - it has served me well for over 50 years at this point. And, of course, I still have the 1848 and 1873 hanging on the wall. Seeing that the change to the 1911 worked out well, I might try another polymer in 2011. Maybe a Glock, but definitely chambered in .45 caliber. Once I see how well they perform, I might be persuaded to hang up the 1911, but then again, maybe not.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

What is that character using the pistol for? It makes quite some difference if I'm target shooting, shooting people, shooting people in body armour, shooting really big animals...
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Indeed. The thing that is likely to drive him to change his weapon of choice is not going to be aesthetics or sentimentality but utility. Firstly we have as Batman said the choice of targets. Secondly and perhaps even more important we have the fact that pistols go out of production. And no matter what he picks there will come a time where the munitions and spare parts become difficult or impossible to come by. So it is unlikely that he will hang on to a 100 year old relic and seriously consider using it in action.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

I tend to enjoy writing supernatural fiction . . . .There are real vampires, werewolves, etc in such a storyline.
Have a germ of an idea that may or may not go anywhere.
I am assuming that the story will be set in the United States although can import if there is a better weapon at least in later years.
Initially, would likely be something US made.

One item I am wonder is when there would be good double action revolvers available and if there are any decent and powerful automatics before the 1911
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Depends in no small part on what works on your undead and the mechanism it does works on. if 'more x=more damage' you'd naturally want larger calibre bullets, probably to the point where you'd go custom-designed anyway (Hellboy comes to mind). If it's a chain reaction 'any amount of x=kill' effect you might get away with ordinary calibre bullets made of/filled with whatever it is you decided would work.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

I want to avoid "super weapons" for the most part but weapons which are available.
Both heavy rounds and lots of rounds can be effective
You want a round with some "oomph" to it not a .32 for example
Thomas Paine

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

With undead (at least from the fiction I know) the kinetic impact of the bullet is largely if not completely irrelevant, it's either 'magic material=instakill' or 'Magic material the more the merrier' which means either anything of any calibre that can to be made with those materials does the job or you want the biggest bullets you can make work.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Batman wrote: probably to the point where you'd go custom-designed anyway
Custom designed would attract more attention than a mass produced pistol. Plus it would be more expensive. Which means more questions for Kitsune:

- How much does he care about not attracting attention ?
- How much money does he have ?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

So far we're talking about a single individual. I seriously doubt that individual getting a single handgun custom designed every other leap year or so is going to be all that visible.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

One item I am looking at is the first powerful double action revolver. . . .The .41 LC is a bit anemic

Edit: I want to thourily explore existing pistols before going to custom weapons
Thomas Paine

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Torben wrote:Were it me, I'd probably start with a Colt 1848 Dragoon until 1873 or so when the Single Action Army is introduced. I'd probably stay with this for quite some time. When the 1911 comes out, I'd see it as a toy, not a real pistol.

Why? It performed better in reliability tests than the revolvers it was replacing. Better capacity, lighter, easier to reload and fire, and more reliable The 1911 is basically it until the Browning Hi-Power comes long.

Mind, you could make the argument that you'd stick to a revolver if you have a lever-action in the same caliber, which was a common thing in the late 19th Century...but really, the 1911 is the pinnacle of martial sidearms until the Browning HP comes out.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

I would expect that anyone using weapons on a regular basis for 60+ years would probably be very conservative in switching from tried-and-true weaponry to the newest gear. If nothing else, an immortal would probably get very stuck in their ways.

Custom weapons have the downside of being more difficult to get repaired, unless the character is a gunsmith and basically builds and repairs it himself. I would imagine there's the risk of getting a low-reliability weapon as well. Still, I can see someone who hunts supernaturals for decades to centuries developing an armory of custom gear over time-- grenades, flashbangs, holy water supersoakers or paintball guns, flamethrowers, custom shotgun ammo, etc.

In addition, why is the character choosing pistols as their primary weapon? Is concealment the only factor? If he's ever in a region where carrying a longarm in public is acceptable, expect him to do so. As the saying goes, a pistol is only good to get a shotgun is only good to get a long gun. Range and accuracy of longarms relegate pistols to a back-up and CQC weapon only, and with the advent of modern magazine-fed carbines/assault rifles/shotguns, even then longarms are superior.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

A brand new M1911 would have been quite an expensive investment for a private citizen immediately after they went on sale to the general public, though. For the first few years literally no other handgun in existence fired the same round, and not many gunsmiths would've carried spare parts or known how to repair it if it was damaged or jammed in some way the owner couldn't fix themselves.

Personally, in the situation Kitsune describes I reckon you could do worse than something in .38 S&W. Depending on the loading, you'll get performance at least comparable to 9mm Parabellum, and if you need more gun than that then you'd do better to saw off a shotgun.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Until there is a Glock available, the 1911 is certainly the thing to use. SIG's are nice, but the minimal advantage in ammo capacity doesn't outweight the power loss.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

Lonestar wrote:
Torben wrote:Were it me, I'd probably start with a Colt 1848 Dragoon until 1873 or so when the Single Action Army is introduced. I'd probably stay with this for quite some time. When the 1911 comes out, I'd see it as a toy, not a real pistol.

Why? It performed better in reliability tests than the revolvers it was replacing. Better capacity, lighter, easier to reload and fire, and more reliable The 1911 is basically it until the Browning Hi-Power comes long.

Mind, you could make the argument that you'd stick to a revolver if you have a lever-action in the same caliber, which was a common thing in the late 19th Century...but really, the 1911 is the pinnacle of martial sidearms until the Browning HP comes out.
Primarily because I'm stubborn and resist change.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

There is the Mauser C96 but was not available until later (around WW1) in 9 mm
Thomas Paine

energiewende
Padawan Learner

Post by energiewende »

It's interesting that at this time small arms were still developing. My impression is that today the only issues in purchase are personal preference and built quality, with little conceptual design difference. Does anyone have a sense of whether it was common for a lot of people to immediately replace their pistols with superior types when available during the 19th century, or would there be a lot of obsolete types in use a decade or two later?
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

This is kind of what I am looking at
1873 - US Army 1873 Revolver
1887 - Webley Top Break Revolver (Is there any other double actions that are heavy caliber around this time frame?)
1911 - US M1911
Thomas Paine

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

energiewende wrote:It's interesting that at this time small arms were still developing. My impression is that today the only issues in purchase are personal preference and built quality, with little conceptual design difference. Does anyone have a sense of whether it was common for a lot of people to immediately replace their pistols with superior types when available during the 19th century, or would there be a lot of obsolete types in use a decade or two later?
I can't imagine anyone but the rich would be doing that sort of thing when they needed to be sure that what they were using would work and was reliable.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I don't know about specific models, but the essence of pistols is the ammunition used. You want something you can get ammo for in most stores at the time, like 9mm (which is NATO standard) today. Something that has a more obscure or hard-to-obtain round may be avoided. This may be a factor even if your character is using custom rounds (you don't want uncommon shells or primers). So, you should look at pistol ammunition history rather than the actual pistols.

Consider that your character might not stick to a single gun for decades, but constantly buying new ones. He may lose them, they might be broken (in a fight, by time, got dropped into a septic tank, etc) and he may actually have to ditch them to avoid trouble (ie. he might throw it away when he crosses borders, or when he's under investigation). Consider that normal people lose valuable things over their normal lives, so sticking to the exact same gun isn't that necessary.

Besides, what he may have can depend on simply what he can buy, where he is (say, his options would be different if he's within the Iron Curtain) or simply what's available in the shops. Consider also in adoption dates that weapons made for the military may take years to be available for private citizens (whether they acquire it legally or illegally). From WW2, pistol mechanisms haven't changed terribly much, so it isn't very critical for him to buy new ones (unless he wants something like a fully-automatic gun or a double-action gun).

Custom designed would attract more attention than a mass produced pistol.
Not really, unless you want the pistol to be specifically flashy. You can get custom-made/handmade pistols that look like just any mass-produced ones even to people familiar with pistols (say a policeman). The only people who'd be able to notice the difference on sight are either armorers or pistol enthusiasts. Even then, so what? The fact that you are carrying a weapon is more noteworthy than the fact that it's custom-made.
Custom weapons have the downside of being more difficult to get repaired, unless the character is a gunsmith and basically builds and repairs it himself.
If he's immortal and one of his primary weapons is a pistol, then he may simply pick up the skills. You have to learn how to maintain your weapon. If he's using custom ammunition, he'll need a workshop anyway.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Why the fuck is this in N&P? It ain't goddamn news and it ain't goddamn plitics, so either the Mods are lazy, Kitsune's a fucking idiot, or a combination of the two is at play here.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Why the fuck is this in N&P? It ain't goddamn news and it ain't goddamn plitics, so either the Mods are lazy, Kitsune's a fucking idiot, or a combination of the two is at play here.
It's a Xmas miracle!
As for your list Kitsune I could see the 1911 being held off until post WWI and using revolvers until then for the simple reason that the Brits were making fine pistols in the late 1890s and the 1911 took awhile to catch on. More importantly .38 and .44 rounds were highly popular as rounds if you hit someone put someone down in one hit. I could see your hypothetical gunman using revolvers until the glut of post WWI weapons makes the 1911 look attractive.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Why the fuck is this in N&P? It ain't goddamn news and it ain't goddamn plitics, so either the Mods are lazy, Kitsune's a fucking idiot, or a combination of the two is at play here.
Some of us have family to visit on Christmas, you know.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

I think I was looking at the Kalashnikov thread when I posted the new thread. . . .Sorry
Thomas Paine