Small event, big impact on your life

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Small event, big impact on your life

Post by Alferd Packer »

This is a rather simple question: what small decision or event has had a big impact on the course of your life? It's granted that something like choosing which college to go to or what vocation to pursue will have an enormous impact, but it's also an huge decision, to be weighed extremely carefully and reached after extreme deliberation. This stuff is more innocuous; only looking back can you see that your choice or pure dumb chance had a huge impact.

For myself, I have go back to 4th grade for a ready example. 4th grade was the first year that our school system offer musical instrument instruction. They had a certain number of instruments available, and you signed up for the one you wanted and hoped you got it. For whatever reason, I declined to sign up for anything the first time around...probably because that was also the first year that we had computers in our classroom. At any rate, I somehow became aware that a bass clarinet was available about halfway through the year, and I decided I wanted to give it a try.

So, the day I was to go and officially join the band, I got sick and had to go home early. When I came back to school, I promptly forgot about the whole thing, and as a result, I never played and instrument or learned thing one about music. An entire avenue of education remains completely unexplored by me, some eighteen years later, all because I happened to get a cold.

So, what about you? What chance incident had a huge impact on your life, but you didn't know until after the fact?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Re: Small event, big impact on your life

Post by Lusankya »

I went to maths camp, and when I was there, there was this guy who fell for me big time, because I was a girl who gave him the time of day. He tried very hard to go out with me, but I eventually managed to hit the clue stick over his head hard enough for him to figure out that I wasn't interested.

Fast-forward to university, and said guy was in my maths lectures. And for some stupid reason, I went up and talked to him and his friends. Cue THE CRUSH Mk II. During this period, he did a lot of rather pathetic stuff that's not really relevant, but what is relevant is that he talked nearly non-stop about Dungeons and Dragons. Eventually I decided that one way to shut him up would be to actually go to a session, because (in my mind) that way whenever he brought it up again, I would be able to honestly say, "been there, tried that, not interested".

Unfortunately, one of the people in the D&D group was my ex-boyfriend, with whom I spent two years of what could most accurately be described as "hell". As for what caused it: well, one could choose going to maths camp initially, going up and talking to the guy I met at maths camp when I saw him at uni or deciding to give D&D a go. All pretty small decisions in the scheme of things.

I am, however, still quite good friends with the other people in that group, so some good did come out of the whole mess.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

I think in terms of small events having a large impact discovering stardestroyer.net in 2001 takes the cake. It exposed me to ideas I would not have encountered otherwise and changed the way I am.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

When I first went to University I was fairly Christian - indeed some of my old posts on this board will attest to that. I have always been firm in my "evolutionism" for wont of a better term. In other words I never doubted that life evolved rather than just popped into existence creationist/intelligent design stylee. When I went to the fresher's fair I looked around for various clubs - gaming groups, Drama clubs and Christian groups.

It just so happens that one of the colleges at the University of Kent, which I attended, is called "Darwin College" and it has an extension building that someone decided to name the "Missing Link" in line with other names of places on campus that are linked to their associated colleges - "Mungo's Bar" in Eliot College (T.S. Eliot cat reference), "The Atom Bar" in Rutherford etc.

So when I saw the Christian group from a distance I saw something along the lines of this:

"Kent Christian Society,
Darwin Missing Link,
[Time]."

I thought to myself "Oh crap, the Christian group is a bunch of creationists, I can't be arsed with that nonsense" and didn't investigate further.

Its entirely possible that I would have been too lazy to go to the groups, or The God Delusion would still have been the unstoppable force that it was for me. But they're very good at keeping people in the faith in that group, and have recruited. I daresay I may have been easily swayed into Christianity had I gone to that group, which I had intended to do before thinking they were creationists. There were many attractive people there I would have returned for.

Just makes me think about fate and faith.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Moving from England to Israel. Maybe not that small, but fucked up things on every level and scale.
Not starting or continuing a whole asston of things that I got accepted to that I don't feel like mentioning on a bbs board.
Trying to take a picture on a camera, starting to take pictures for socially reasons and ending up a photo nut :).
Hitching a ride back from school with a classmate, hearing about his brother's community service year, which ended up with me doing that program and changing the course of my life and personality of the past 4 years.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Coming across and reading Peter Ward's The End of Evolution. Regardless of the actual merits of the book, it got me really interested in science and evolution. Since my mother was a YEC, I decided to read up on some books countering creationism, which led me further into skeptical works on religion, and now I'm an atheist. But the Ward book basically started it - before that, I hadn't really shown an interest in evolution or the like in general.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Heh, the first one that pops into my head has to do with this board.

There was an internet radio show that was advertised that it would have one of the Phelps clan (yes, the Westboro Baptist ones) on, and I decided to listen.

People had been asking the Phelps guy why he they were all so against homosexuality to the point of obsession, and he quoted verse and line about abominations. People quoted verse and line back about how clothing of multiple fabrics, a bajillion foods, etc, are also abominations, so why not obsess about shrimp-eating instead? The Phelps claimed that all that stuff was "ceremonial law" that Jesus got rid of, but the part about hating gay people was God's law and still had to be upheld.

So DPDP called in and asked how he could tell the difference. The Phelps sputtered and hung up.

Small event. Then followed a small action. I decided to flirt with DPDP for defeating that Phelps.

Over five years later, and we're still going strong and now we're living together.

(Everyone can go "awwww" now.)
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I decided to become friends with the cute quiet girl in my high school music class. About a year later there was way too much shit going on in my life for me to handle and I was damn close to offing myself. She's the main reason I'm still around. If I didn't get to know her, god knows where I'd be right now. She's now one of my closest friends and she ended up marrying one of my other friends, but that's a story for another day.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Probably a teacher setting me up to produce a small two hour radio show back in 9th grade. Met quite a few people who had immense impact on my life.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Ace Pace wrote:Probably a teacher setting me up to produce a small two hour radio show back in 9th grade. Met quite a few people who had immense impact on my life.
You had your own radio show ? What was it like ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

On a lark deciding to ask a girl I knew in college only somewhat well if she wanted to go to a party with me while I was in town about a year ago. As of yesterday, I've purchased her engagement ring and will be giving it to her New Years.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Mayabird wrote:Small event. Then followed a small action. I decided to flirt with DPDP for defeating that Phelps.

Over five years later, and we're still going strong and now we're living together.

(Everyone can go "awwww" now.)
Are you guys trying to break my record for the longest time dating before getting married?
Of course you could also do what one of my friends did, he was engaged for over 12 years with no real plans for getting married, then had a shotgun wedding after knocking up his fiancée. It was pretty hilarious.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Contrary to what you may believe, it's not all about you and the universe doesn't revolve around you.

Packer's initial post made me think about my initial start playing music. Starting playing clarinet in sixth grade on a whim and also partly because my cousin had a clarinet she wasn't using anymore. Band then consisted of most of my offline social life until I got out of college (so about half my life so far). Met my friends through band (good friends I still have), went traveling because of band, had hilarious and wacky adventures through band, even helped found the Freethinkers club in college because of my band RAT, and I haven't quite found anything to replace that yet. How would things be different otherwise? Don't know. Maybe in the end it wouldn't be that different at all.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Whatever year Quake II came out, I played Quake II and got into metal. This would actually end up shaping a lot of my coming of age and gave me a healthy outlet for the misery of that era. Since then, I've learned how to play guitar and keyboards because I wanted to. Today I found the guy who made the Quake II music on facebook and contacted him, thanking him for the unexpected influence he's had on my life, including the eventual inspiration to make music on my own. Being told by someone that you inspired them to make music is the sort of thing one looks forward to, so I hope I brightened his day.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Realising that life rarely goes like planned.
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

Reading the article on St. Nicolas (Dutch equivalent of Santa Claus) in an encyclopaedia when I was six. At that age I believed he was real, since everyone around me told me so. But reading that article shattered that belief and set me on the path to question everything, including my Catholic upbringing.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

For me it was answering a message from on Ok Cupid. I very nearly didn't reply, she was in Cork and 350 odd miles away in Belfast which I considered too far away. I did reply. We've been together for over 8 months now and have lived together for the last 5 of those month. Life has never been better.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

The time I killed a man in Reno... just to watch him die... that sent me off on a life of crime with my girlfriend Bonnie - I'm pretty sure we're still one step ahead of Hoover's g-men. Hope I remembered to oil my rifle last night...

Alternatively, it was deciding to ask out the women who is now my wife, seven years ago.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Deciding to take that job offer as consultant almost 5 years ago.
That sent me down a "normal" consulting path, to the point where I think I can only go on as consultant or moving into management. I doubt I could go back to being "just" a normal developer again.
I often ask if it was the right decision back then, but well, now I just have to enjoy the ride...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Small event 1. Weighed some options (which in hindsight were less than insignificant) and didn't insist my girlfriend (of the time) into staying two days with me whilst her family moved interstate. GF and her mother were killed and sister scarred for life in a car accident three days later without ever reaching the new house. I still haven't forgiven myself.

Small event 2. Replied to an email from a girl who saw me at the University Bar. Four years later we're still together.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

The_Saint wrote:Small event 1. Weighed some options (which in hindsight were less than insignificant) and didn't insist my girlfriend (of the time) into staying two days with me whilst her family moved interstate. GF and her mother were killed and sister scarred for life in a car accident three days later without ever reaching the new house. I still haven't forgiven myself.
That's just awful. My sympathies, even though it was obviously a long time ago.

As for my small event, it was my application for Village residence at the University of Waterloo getting lost. As a result, I did not get into the Village residences, and I was forced to apply at one of the church colleges on campus. It obviously didn't turn me into a churchgoer, but it did put me in a position to meet Rebecca, 20 years ago. My entire life for the past 20 years would have been unimaginably different if not for that simple clerical error.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

The exhaust system on my father's car needed repair on the day of my last university exam. While waiting around for the repair to be completed, he met and spoke with a guy who worked for a small manufacturing company (whose truck also needed repair) that needed another pair of hands. My father communicated this to me, and so I applied that morning. The next day (at 7am) I was called in to come in and work. (I had no other job prospects, so I figured that it would be a good idea to start working somewhere, anywhere.) A few years later, the guy who met with my father introduced me to his wife's sister, and two years after that I got married to her, yadda yadda yadda, we have two daughters.

So yeah, some minor automotive work ended up getting me a job, a wife, and two kids.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I got kicked in the side of my head when I was in first grade, lost a baby tooth, suffered a concussion, had to be observed for epilesy for a few years, got blinded in one eye, started my hatered of organized religion, (still lapsed christian/kabbalsitic jew), couldn't get a driver's liecense until I was over 20 (due to the hold on being able to get a DL for so many years per lapse of conciousness). Gotta love getting beaten to a bloody pulp by someone in catholic school for being half jewish.

oh, and DPDP/Maya are you guys still living with Marina?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:oh, and DPDP/Maya are you guys still living with Marina?
Mayabird moved out of the apartment she shared with Marina when she moved in with me. Marina's never lived in the same place I have, though I have driven cross-country with her.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Does this mean you aren't in Iowa anymore, or Mayabird isn't in Washington anymore?
XXXI