Questions on the Jungle Book

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Canis_Dirus
Redshirt

Questions on the Jungle Book

Post by Canis_Dirus »

I finally saw the new Jungle Book movie by Disney, and I thought it was actually pretty good.

During the end of the movie I had a few questions though, which hopefully someone a little more familiar with animals can answer:

1) How do the sizes of the animals such as the wolves, Sher Khan (tiger), Bagheera (black panther), and Baloo (sloth bear) compare to those in real life?

2) How would've the fights at the end of the movie actually turned out? Specifically Baloo vs Sher Khan, and the wolf pack vs Sher Khan

3) As a bonus, how would one of the rhinos or elephants have done against the tiger?
Life asked Death, "Death, why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded, "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth."
Canis_Dirus
Redshirt

Re: Questions on the Jungle Book

Post by Canis_Dirus »

Come on guys....
Life asked Death, "Death, why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded, "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth."
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

1) I'm not sure how accurate the sizes are but they felt pretty accurate.

2) A sloth bear is, according to wikipedia, an average of 130kg. A male bengal tiger can reach up to 260kg for a large specimen, which I'd say Sher Khan is. A massive tiger vs a small bear in other words. As for the wolves, as a pack, they're actually far more dangerous than shown. Wolves wear down animals larger than them over time, harass and hamstring when they get the chance. They might suffer a casualty or two but a pack of wolves is not something a tiger can just dismiss, certainly not a desperate one.

3) Elephants and rhinos are in another league. Being gored by either is almost certainly fatal, as is getting caught under foot. Plus they're incredibly tough to actually hurt. There's a reason neither species is considered prey. Hippos would also fall into this category.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Amur Tigers (aka Siberian Tigers) prey on grizzly bears.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Canis_Dirus wrote:I finally saw the new Jungle Book movie by Disney, and I thought it was actually pretty good.

During the end of the movie I had a few questions though, which hopefully someone a little more familiar with animals can answer:

1) How do the sizes of the animals such as the wolves, Sher Khan (tiger), Bagheera (black panther), and Baloo (sloth bear) compare to those in real life?

2) How would've the fights at the end of the movie actually turned out? Specifically Baloo vs Sher Khan, and the wolf pack vs Sher Khan

3) As a bonus, how would one of the rhinos or elephants have done against the tiger?
Well, I haven't seen the movie. If you can find some screencaps I can try to answer #1.

As for #2, do you mean in GENERAL how would those animals stack up against one another in a fair fight, or specifically how the situations IN THE FILM should have turned out? Those are different scenarios. Again, I don't know what happened in the movie, but did one of the factions have the drop on the other? Help from other animals/people? The environment? Who wins the fight is highly dependent on context. Especially since in real life most big predators avoid each other if they can (though, there are always exceptions).

As for #3, see above. In general, a rhino or elephant would make short work of a solitary predator. Though packs of lions have been known to bring down elephants, it's incredibly rare. For the most part, they will avoid anything that large, because they know how casually a rhino can mutilate them.