Apple Fails at Chess

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Apple Fails at Chess

Post by Master of Ossus »

This is one of Apple's ads for iPad 2. I spotted it while watching the US Open. I leave it to Gaming and Computers to discuss the actual device (I'm looking forward to getting mine), but I thought I would point out something that jumped out at me:

Apple fails hardcore at chess.

Pause their demo at 0:20, when they're talking about how "You could master something new." Well... they have not mastered this particular thing.

They play Qxc3??. This sacrifices the queen for a rook (way to squander 4 points, noobs). What's more, they did NOT play the obvious Bxd2+, which trades a bishop for a queen and preserves tempo because of the check. In fact, it's hard to come up with a WORSE move than what they did, because it not only sacrifices the 4 points in the exchange but also allows black to save the queen.

Looking at the board, I think the only possible thing that they could do which would be worse would be Qf7+??, which would sacrifice the queen for nothing, and permit black to save its own queen with Qxf7. However, Qf7 has zero value at all, so I can't believe that anyone would actually play it. Can anyone else see anything that Apple could do which would be worse?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Re: Apple Fails at Chess

Post by StarSword »

Dude, you have got way too much time on your hands. :mrgreen:
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Master of Ossus wrote:Apple fails hardcore at chess.

Pause their demo at 0:20, when they're talking about how "You could master something new." Well... they have not mastered this particular thing.

They play Qxc3??. This sacrifices the queen for a rook (way to squander 4 points, noobs). What's more, they did NOT play the obvious Bxd2+, which trades a bishop for a queen and preserves tempo because of the check. In fact, it's hard to come up with a WORSE move than what they did, because it not only sacrifices the 4 points in the exchange but also allows black to save the queen. [snip]
They're trying to show that the user is an utter noob, I think... "Here's my big fucking Queen coming atcha, what now!?" he says, ignoring the Bishop thing, as his opponent sighs and rolls his eyes. This new app can help even that guy! It must be so freakin' good a chimp could learn chess on it, am I right?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Black isn't exactly a stellar player either. What the hell was going on in that game for him to leave his queen threatened by the bishop?

At least he didn't go "Knight to Queen 4" or some gibberish like that you hear a lot in media.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

MoO this is almost as funny as when you responded to Duchess' food line prediction by talking about how long you had to wait for a honeybaked ham.

At least I think that was you.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Or maybe he's an extremely GOOD player who's forcing the game out of book for the hell of it. ;)
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Destructionator XIII wrote:BTW, does anyone actually like 3d chess games? I like using real boards, but I can't think of any 3d video games I actually liked using; it's always hard to see and click to me.
LEGO Chess wasn't half-bad. Neither was that Battle Chess game they had on this old Mac at my high school. (The knight x knight animation was like the Black Knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, only different.)
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I don't mind 3-D chess games. They require a bit of a mental adjustment because of the new perspective, but that's one of the little things that keeps the game fresh.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Man, that Battle Chess game was awesome. I liked the King x Queen animation, where the Queen seduces the King, pulls a dagger but the King knows and smacks her with his mace. Awesome. and the rock-warrior Rooks. :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Destructionator XIII wrote:Queen 4 = d4.
Unless it's black to move, in which case Queen 4 = d5. God, how did anybody play back games before modern algebraic notation?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Ahriman238 wrote:I don't mind 3-D chess games. They require a bit of a mental adjustment because of the new perspective, but that's one of the little things that keeps the game fresh.
Funny I can't play chess in a 2d environment for shit but am fine on a real or 3d rendered board
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Sriad wrote:Or maybe he's an extremely GOOD player who's forcing the game out of book for the hell of it. ;)
Haha. That would definitely get the computer out of its opening book very quickly and force it to start calculating its moves.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."