So You Heard Osama Bin Laden Was Killed... (Poll)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Which Source Did You Get Your Info From?

ABC (TV)
1%
CBS (TV)
1%
NBC (TV)
1%
CNN (Cable)
6%
Fox News (Cable)
2%
MSNBC (Cable)
4%
Internet (News Sites, Please Speify)
36%
Social Networking (Please Specify)
20%
Multiple (Please Specify)
3%
Other (Anything, Or Combination I Left Out)
26%

Total votes: 138

phred
Jedi Knight

Re: So You Heard Osama Bin Laden Was Killed... (Poll)

Post by phred »

A friend on ventrilo told me. He just got out of the army a couple months ago, and one of his friends who's still over there called him apparently. I googled it to make sure.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Well, actually I heard it first on the forums. Then I went onto Gawker. And then I went to CNN.

Then my brother turned the TV onto NBC.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Soldier of Entropy
Padawan Learner

Post by Soldier of Entropy »

My friend sent me a message over Gmailchat. Then I came here to confirm.
Korvan
Jedi Master

Post by Korvan »

Got the news right here at Stardestroyer.net
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Morning newspaper.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Magellan
Youngling

Post by Magellan »

Facebook.

It was status after status after status. Hell, one person even sent me an IM about it. It got annoying, but after a while all these different jokes kept popping up and funny images about it.

I even suggested that they might want to switch the release dates of Captain American and Thor.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Here. I heard Obama was asking for air time and I checked in at N&P at the appropriate time while chatting on AIM.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

I got a call from my brother about it 3 minutes before I got the news alert from CNN on my droid.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

I heard about it from a friend half way to our destination.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I do have to say, I am looking forward to Jon Stewarts take on the whole thing.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And I am looking forward to Maher's.

Some of you are kinda missing the point of this thread. I wasn't asking who told you first or how you first heard the information, but once you heard it, THEN where did you go to get your information.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Lonestar wrote:Radio. I was driving into work.
Ditto.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Magellan
Youngling

Post by Magellan »

Havok wrote:And I am looking forward to Maher's.

Some of you are kinda missing the point of this thread. I wasn't asking who told you first or how you first heard the information, but once you heard it, THEN where did you go to get your information.
Well then I guess I got most of the information from the speech.
Comando293
Padawan Learner

Post by Comando293 »

I first saw the news on the Youtube sidebar. There was the Whitehouse channel video of the speech, which I promptly watched. Then I navigated over here and started reading.
Avatar courtesy of Alan Bolte and Glimmervoid
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Havok wrote:Some of you are kinda missing the point of this thread. I wasn't asking who told you first or how you first heard the information, but once you heard it, THEN where did you go to get your information.
I went from here to the big news sites - CNN, BBC, Al Jazeera, etc.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

I literally stumbled over the news. I'd logged onto the internet, happened to be on Google when I saw the notice that there was going to be a surprise presidential address that night and went to the C-Span website to get the live stream. They were running a rebroadcast of the day's Washington Journal programme to fill the time before the president's remarks when they flashed a caption at the bottom of the screen: "Reports confirm Osama BinLaden dead". My jaw just about dropped to the floor.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Ok, i first got it on Deutschlandradio and then got it from Deutschlandradio as well. I had to drive 8 hours that day and got all my information from Deutschlandradio. That is Deutschlandfunk and Deutschlandradio Kultur as I avoid all other channels because the others are crappy private channels which are infested with idiots, jingles and commercials.

When i got home i read spiegel.de and watches some clips about it on youtube which were from various American news channels IIRC.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Havok wrote:I'm curious, in this new age of cell phone communication, where you turned when you heard the news?

The old horses? ABC, NBC and CBS?
The cable news channels? MSNBC, CNN, Fox News?
The internet?
Just social media? Facebook, Twitter, etc.?
Some where else?

Obviously I aimed this at Americans in the US, but please chime in on your own country's channels.
I was busy fucking your mom when I heard it on the radio. :twisted:
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

I saw some stuff on Facebook about Osama, so I then switched on the television to CNN and found out about it there.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

I actually found out about it by reading another news article on CNN - I saw the headlines for the increase in the state department travel warnings, and thought, "what stupid shit did the government do to piss people off now?" I had no idea what the fuck they were talking about when they were saying, "due to recent significant counter-terrorism action...."

It only slowly dawned on me, and then my jaw just kind of hit the floor.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Read it here. I don't follow the news as much as I should, would take a lot of time I don't bother to waste. Never bothered to look it up much, as I don't care that much for it.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I heard first from my Mum in the afternoon, laughed it off as I could barely believe it, then switched on the TV. The ugly bastard's face was plastered over the screen with words 'killed' 'Laden' 'Bin' and 'Osama'. Maybe not in that order, but I didn't care, I had to retrieve a spoon to scrape my jaw off the floor.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Andehtron
Youngling

Post by Andehtron »

Checked my facebook in the morning, saw a few mentions, checked the beeb....and the rest is obvious.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Learned about it first from the Internet, listed to Obama's speech via live stream, then switched on Fox News to watch them squirm at having to report the truth. :P
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

First from, off all places, a FF which mentioned it on the bottom. I then checked CNN.com.

After scrapping my jaw off the ground with a spatula, I hit Facebook to make the obligatory post, and saw all the requisite confirmatory posts.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."