NFL Season 2010. 'Bout GOD DAMNED TIME!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: NFL Season 2010. 'Bout GOD DAMNED TIME!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Instead of trying to neuter the defense, the NFL should be making some real serious advancements in protecting their players with better equipment. I'm sure that modern technology will allow us to improve on the current football helmet.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Or go for an intriguing thought experiment and take away the helmets and see how keen guys are to go for head-to-head tackles then... Even replacement with a soft helmet (like those used by some rugby players) could balance protection of the players skull with not allowing it to be used as a weapon.

In reality, the NFL will do nothing except keep on making rules changes which barely improve player protection, but offer massive increases in TV dividends through allowing offences to post ever higher records.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

PLR2 wrote:I wasn't able to catch the Bears game, does any one know why they lost to the Seahawks?
You have a QB in Cutler who holds the ball too long, and an O-line that can't block. The result: 27 sacks and a crap running game.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Havok wrote:I guess lineman are screwed then huh?
When is that ever really not the case?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Spartan wrote:
Remember, it's only illegal to attack the knees when it's a quarterback. When it's a lineman, we encourage it.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The Spartan wrote:
QFT.

There aren't too many linemen, especially offensive linemen, who are making the big bucks compared to some of these other players despite taking the most punishment. Yeah if you have a QB who puts up decent number and isn't an asshole maybe he takes you out for a steak if you save his ass from getting sacked (not happening in Chicago this year) but the punishment from being a lineman is excruciating to watch.

Maybe the NFL should expand the rosters but only to allow for more linemen on the roster so the grind can be spread out a bit each game.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

weemadando wrote:Remember, it's only illegal to attack the knees when it's a quarterback. When it's a lineman, we encourage it.
Hell, I've done it. That was what I was specifically told to do to the play-side end when I was at guard: pull and dive at his legs. And do you think there was a play without helmet-to-helmet contact? Nope. Maybe it wasn't particularly hard if it was a passing play, but on a run we were looking to hit that defensive player as hard as we could. Not to harm him, per se, but to get the momentum going in our favor and to make him think twice about really going up against one of us/go after the ball-carrier quite as hard/etc.
Darth Fanboy wrote:There aren't too many linemen, especially offensive linemen, who are making the big bucks compared to some of these other players despite taking the most punishment. Yeah if you have a QB who puts up decent number and isn't an asshole maybe he takes you out for a steak if you save his ass from getting sacked (not happening in Chicago this year) but the punishment from being a lineman is excruciating to watch.

Maybe the NFL should expand the rosters but only to allow for more linemen on the roster so the grind can be spread out a bit each game.
Think of Mark Schlereth. Now, he has come out in favor of allowing big hits, but that's not important to my point. He's had 20 surgeries on his knees; 15 on the left, 5 on the right, as well as at least nine other surgeries. That's just one example, but think about what kind of wear and tear that means for a lineman.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Spartan wrote:
weemadando wrote:Remember, it's only illegal to attack the knees when it's a quarterback. When it's a lineman, we encourage it.
Hell, I've done it. That was what I was specifically told to do to the play-side end when I was at guard: pull and dive at his legs. And do you think there was a play without helmet-to-helmet contact? Nope. Maybe it wasn't particularly hard if it was a passing play, but on a run we were looking to hit that defensive player as hard as we could. Not to harm him, per se, but to get the momentum going in our favor and to make him think twice about really going up against one of us/go after the ball-carrier quite as hard/etc.
It's one of the reason I hated lining up sometimes in our Tassie league. For fucks sake people it's a 3 team 9 man league. It's not the fucking NFL. Chop/roll blocking and breakign someone's knees is uncalled for on a pleasant Sunday afternoon.

To be honest, instituting a blanket "above knee, below the shoulder" valid tackle/block zone wouldn't be a bad idea. Leave it up to the refs (or an after game panel) to determine if helmet/helmet or other nastiness was intentional or not. Increase player lifespan, decrease medical costs and it doesn't cripple the game.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I wonder how long before the thin-skinned League office slaps Chris Kluwe with a fine for this accurate depiction of the NFL's new policy:

Minnesota Vikings punter and owner of his very own World of Warcraft trading card Chris Kluwe does not agree with the NFL’s new illegal hits policy.

He tweeted out this illustrated representation of what he believes to be the NFL’s attitude toward protecting more “valuable” players, like wide receivers, and their more lax attitude towards protecting punters, kickers, and “anyone else [they] don’t give a fuck about.”

I think I know why Kluwe is mad. During the NFL’s concussion policy video, narrated by Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson, one of the hits that’s given a big fat thumbs up by the league is a brutal block on Seahawks punter Jon Ryan.

Is Ryan’s whiteboard message to the league the first step in a radical kicker’s and punter’s rights movement? I doubt it, but it’s fun to imagine, isn’t it?
All this bullshit reminds me of when the NFL fined Rodney Harrison for whacking Jerry Rice and Tim Brown, both of whom spent the rest of the game dropping one pass after another. Whacking Jerry Porter in the same game did not draw a fine.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Meh. That was par for the course. Donte Whitner dropped a surefire pick-6. Reggie Corner's everything-but-the-Int would have ended the half had he not stepped on Anquan Boldin's foot instead of the turf (and were he not mugged in the worst no call of offensive pass interference yet).

Welcome to the NFL Stevie Johnson, Fitz snapped a 59 game franchise record without a 300 yd passer, Lee Evans had 4 catches for 75 yards and three TDs. And we're 0-6.

The Chargers are pummeling Tom Brady, even if they're losing. Tom getting whacked brings a smile to any Bills fan's face.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Holy fuck Denver. :lol:

And hey all you booing Niner fans, you finally got David Carr. How'd that work out for you? Did you like it? It was fun huh? Stupid fucks.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And special teams lets the Chargers down yet again. Bet Kaeding is relieved as hell that he didn't have to try that kick and that Brown is going to take the heat for the miss.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The day after the Phils lose the NLCS, the Eagles choke away a win. Wonderful.

One more month until college basketball starts.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Havok wrote:And hey all you booing Niner fans, you finally got David Carr. How'd that work out for you? Did you like it? It was fun huh? Stupid fucks.
Fuck you. We want the move to Carr because it signals that the Smith "era" is finally over and the team is finally moving away from one of the worst draft busts in NFL history, not because Carr gives us a good chance to win. The season's over, anyway, so we might as well get some hint as to the future.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And it is idiots like you that sit there and boo because you think everything bad that happens is the QBs fault. And calling Smith one of the worst busts in draft history just shows your ignorance of the NFL and draft history, especially when two of the biggest have have been on the West Coast in the last 12 years and Carr is an even bigger bust and he is on the same team. You're a moron.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Havok wrote:And hey all you booing Niner fans, you finally got David Carr. How'd that work out for you? Did you like it? It was fun huh? Stupid fucks.
Fuck you. We want the move to Carr because it signals that the Smith "era" is finally over and the team is finally moving away from one of the worst draft busts in NFL history, not because Carr gives us a good chance to win. The season's over, anyway, so we might as well get some hint as to the future.
Look on the bright side: the Chargers have to waive Merriman off IR when he's healthy enough to play, so the 49ers might get him.

As for my team, contract or no contract you can't choke away yet another game like this one and keep your job as HC. Turner has done it FIVE TIMES this season alone. Two of those turnovers were short bus retarded (a receiver placing the ball on the ground when he wasn't down, and a back standing around in a daze when he dropped a lateral). All this when the owner is trying to convince the city to build a new stadium.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Well that was exciting. Look how excited I am.
Cause it's still a fucking loss. Seriously, remember Ryan Mathews (I hate that one-T) fumble-itis? It's not an object any more cause it's clearly a team problem. I don't know if there's something not being coached, or a lack of intensity in practice or [what-insert here] but it's hard not to blame the coach after this.

Kudos on the onside kick, kudos for not calling the abysmal HB draw with Sproles v Wilfork, kudos to the defense for making the huge stop of the game when it was needed. Still a loss though.

The AFC being the tougher conference means the AFC West is winner take all -- there's no way we can get a wild card out of this division. You have to think if we miss the post-season, knowing that the stakes in the ownership, fans, and media's mind for this team has always been 'super bowl caliber' that Norv has to go. We're fairly up to our eyes in injuries but when do excuses stop mattering? 8 losses? We've got a good shot at that. :x
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Havok wrote:And it is idiots like you that sit there and boo because you think everything bad that happens is the QBs fault. And calling Smith one of the worst busts in draft history just shows your ignorance of the NFL and draft history, especially when two of the biggest have have been on the West Coast in the last 12 years and Carr is an even bigger bust and he is on the same team. You're a moron.
Ryan Leaf is not a bigger bust than Smith. Smith was drafted first overall. Leaf was drafted second. Jamarcus Russell is a bigger bust than Smith. However, neither Russell nor Leaf hurt their teams more than Smith for the simple reason that the Raiders cut their losses with him quickly and the Chargers cut their losses with Leaf. Smith set this team back for the better part of a decade with a huge contract, a first-overall pick, and years spent trying to develop dogshit into diamonds. As a result, the team missed opportunities to add players like Drew Brees, Matt Schaub, Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, and Matt Cassell. To name only players who were kicked to the curb by their former teams for draft picks or who went to other teams via free agency and not even to discuss draft picks. You can argue that some of these guys might not be dramatic improvements on Smith right now, but surely none of them could be worse than he is, and wouldn't have put us through 5 years of diddling around and having to ignore the elephant in the room. You cannot win in today's NFL without a good quarterback, and Alex Smith surely isn't one. Further, the team would've been better off if they simply hadn't used the pick and it had disappeared than they are today. They could've used his money to bring in other players to improve the team, and they could've drafted another QB or traded for another one who would have produced at a roughly equivalent level.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

SPC Brungardt wrote:Well that was exciting. Look how excited I am.
Cause it's still a fucking loss. Seriously, remember Ryan Mathews (I hate that one-T) fumble-itis? It's not an object any more cause it's clearly a team problem. I don't know if there's something not being coached, or a lack of intensity in practice or [what-insert here] but it's hard not to blame the coach after this.

Kudos on the onside kick, kudos for not calling the abysmal HB draw with Sproles v Wilfork, kudos to the defense for making the huge stop of the game when it was needed. Still a loss though.

The AFC being the tougher conference means the AFC West is winner take all -- there's no way we can get a wild card out of this division. You have to think if we miss the post-season, knowing that the stakes in the ownership, fans, and media's mind for this team has always been 'super bowl caliber' that Norv has to go. We're fairly up to our eyes in injuries but when do excuses stop mattering? 8 losses? We've got a good shot at that. :x
If this team can't make the playoffs I want Norv Turner AND The Lord Of No Rings gone. Remember, Turner said this was the best collection of players he has ever coached. Well, if the players are so great and the are constantly losing because they constantly fuck up, then there's something wrong with the coach. Personally, I think Turner is a great OC/Quarterback coach but a bad HC.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Havok wrote:And it is idiots like you that sit there and boo because you think everything bad that happens is the QBs fault. And calling Smith one of the worst busts in draft history just shows your ignorance of the NFL and draft history, especially when two of the biggest have have been on the West Coast in the last 12 years and Carr is an even bigger bust and he is on the same team. You're a moron.
Ryan Leaf is not a bigger bust than Smith. Smith was drafted first overall. Leaf was drafted second.
Leaf cost the Chargers TWO #1 picks, a #2 and a very good kick returner, Eric Metcalf.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Jeezuz, how did the 49ers get back from London and into those Cowboys uniforms so fast? :lol: :lol:

Seriously, the Cowboys look just pathetic. Romo doesn't strike anyone as the fiery heart and soul of a team type, but it's like they just hung it up when he got hurt.
I was almost thinking that Kitna may be just what the doctor ordered for this team because he is that yelling, screaming, leader type, but maybe he just isn't that guy anymore. I dunno, maybe all these draws will start working in the last two minutes of the fourth. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ha ha ha! What the shit New York?! Now I hope Dallas gets this onside kick.

Dez Bryant is pretty fucking good.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Oh man, the only way that game could have gone better is if a bear devoured Jerry Jones at halftime.

Phils are done and the Eagles choked, but at least the Dallas Cowboys are circling the drain.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Circling? Dude, they are down it and jammed in the pipe. Call Roto-Rooter already.

Keep faith though Red, I think the Eagles are still the class of the NFC East, especially once Vick gets back (he is going to make the Giants pass rush look like the Keystone cops), and Kolb hasn't been bad at all.

And shit, Dez Bryant is pretty fucking good.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Can't say I hate seeing how bad the Cowboys are this year. But as bad as Norv Turner has been getting reamed in this thread Wade Phillips probably deserves it more. Even without Romo they still should have had a stranglehold on this game after the 10-0 lead and then again after the punt return put them up 20-7.

Kitna as the backup QB is obviously a mistake, 2 years without taking a snap Wade? You mean to tell me there wasn't one point where he could have got out there and that each and every offensive down was so important you needed your starter? That's terrible coaching. I will begrudingly admit that the Cowboys deserve better, and while a better head coach woukldn't have them 6-0 necessairly, 3-3 looks a hell of a lot better than 1-5.