NFL Season 2010. 'Bout GOD DAMNED TIME!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Havok
Miscreant

NFL Season 2010. 'Bout GOD DAMNED TIME!

Post by Havok »

Seemed like the longest off season EVER!

Vikings @ Saints just kicked off. Taking the Vikes.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: NFL Season 2010. 'Bout GOD DAMNED TIME!

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Finally.

I missed the first half, but managed to catch the whole second half. Yay Saints victory! Brees looked pretty good for the most part (Favre looked terrible in the second half).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

We were taking guesses on the breakroom at work as to how long it would take for Favre to gas/get injured. He's just pushed it too long.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Favre looked completely out of sorts in the game. Collinsworth blamed Percy Harvin for a couple of the miscues, but several of his throws just missed. I wonder how much of this is because he missed training camp, how much of it is the loss of Sidney Rice (terrific player, btw), and how much is just because the hourglass is running out on his career.

AP looked amazing--player of the game, despite the Saints' victory (even more than Brees). His line did nothing to open holes for him, and he took a lot of punishment, but he kept his feet going and picked up a lot of yards.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Not expecting tons out of the Eagles this year, though the defense looked better in the preseason than most people expected. But the O-line is a shambles and nobody knows what to make of Kolb yet. He's got some nice weapons downfield (unlike McNabb did for most of his career), but other than a few good games he had last year, he's looked lost every time he's been out on the field in a real game. The running game....okay, ha-ha, this is an Andy Reid team, so it doesn't matter what kind of running game we have.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

On the one hand, I expect (in the demand sense of the word) that the Texans have at least a wild card berth this year. Doesn't have to result in a win, just a playoff game.

On the other, I'm skeptical that we've improved enough that we'll have the record necessary to grab a playoff game. Particularly with our schedule and having to face our nemesis: The Colts.

Maybe we'll have a second winning season, at least.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I was kind of glad to see Leinart go. I'm not sure the alternatives at QB are the answer but I wasn't expecting much out of the Cardinals this year anyway. It's not like they were consistently great over the last two years either. They were very hot and cold. So anything around .500 or better will be pretty good in my book.

Anyway, Leinart didn't seem terrible but he certainly didn't seem great either. Plus if the rest of the team wasn't behind him then it wasn't worth keeping him around given the kind of salary he was pulling down. It is kind of odd that he signed with the Titans since Norm Chow (former USC and Titan's offensive coordinator) had wanted Leinart instead of Vince Young and now Chow is gone and the Titans are signing Leinart as a backup to Young. Pretty weird.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

First off I gotta say one thing, WHO DAT!?! I'm a little hungover today, too much Maker's Mark. But it was a good game, not great though I am definitely pleased. Gregg Williams is continuing to improve the defensive scheme which is key if they wanna make a return trip to the show. The offense didn't perform to snuff, I'm ok with that they always sort themselves out and once that machine gets rolling it ain't gonna stop. They made some good off seasons pickups and trades aswell, I'm glad they got rid of Mike Bell and picked up Chris Ivory outta no where. I was at the preseason game aganist the Chargers and the offense performed well, and it was good to see they have alot a depth was guys like Daniel, Ivory, and Arrington being healthy again.

As for the Vikings, Childress looked nervous to give Favre for the ball for any amount of time especially in the first. He just didn't look comfortable in the pocket waiting, I don't know how long he'll keep it, I don't see making the whole season they better keep Jackson sharp. And as for AP, he was beasting out their I was cringing every time they gave him the ball; he looks good and said he's determined to fix his ball handling issues so that shows character for taking the blame for last year. And Havok, man it was the shortest off season for me, the euphoria made it breeze on by.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

As a Seahawks fan I'm expecting 0-4 wins as Pete Carroll accepts having sold talent for pennies on the dollar in exchange for a clean start next year with a new franchise QB (I've heard 2011 is going to be a bumper crop).

Last year I started following the Eagles and Texans as Plans B so there better be some goddamn success this year, people.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

You've started following the Texans? That's semi-masochistic. :P

Most Houston sports fans fall within the "long suffering" category of fan. Only the Rockets have championships; while the Astros had one really good run and have now reverted to their true form of vacillating between mediocrity and royally sucking. Our football teams have only ever reached a point of "not quite good enough". That was back before the Oilers left, though.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Usually I at least get some excitement from the start of the new football season, and yet this year, I find myself mustering zero for the New Look Eagles (tm).
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Vick will be in by mid season.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Havok wrote:Vick will be in by mid season.
Incorrect, the Eagles hate running the ball. :lol:
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Raptor 597 wrote:As for the Vikings, Childress looked nervous to give Favre for the ball for any amount of time especially in the first. He just didn't look comfortable in the pocket waiting, I don't know how long he'll keep it, I don't see making the whole season they better keep Jackson sharp.
Favre is finished. He doesn't have it in him to last a whole four quarters anymore, and that still-hurt ankle has cut his mobility almost down to nothing. And with the beatings he suffered last year, especially in the NFL Championship, it will take just one good hit and he'll have to be scraped off the turf with a stretcher. He really should have hung up the cleats in February and followed Kurt Warner out of football while he was still, if not quite on top, at least at a plateau in his career. He's not going to be leaving the NFL with a second Super Bowl ring on his hand. It would be a pity if he left it in a wheelchair instead.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

This is vexing.
I joined a fantasy league for the 1st time although I wasn't present for it (I had duty) and auto-drafted. In general, I was screwed by 1) getting no bona-fide #1 WR and 2) a lot of rookies, although Ryan Matthews is the safest of the bunch. (the other 2 are Jahvid Best and Dez Bryant)

To anyone seeing the Colts @ Texans game though should know my frustration about now: my starting receivers are Jacoby Jones (who's also a returner, thank the fantasy gods) and Pierre Garcon. :roll: At this moment before the 1st half is even up, they account for 4 drops, each of them had a TD reception go off their hands! BOTH! :banghead:

edit: was to wasn't... I would not have touched Dez Bryant with a 10-foot-pole, by definition of being a rookie WR, which is fantasy poison. I'm not starting him this week but that might change if Garcon's rep is so bad after this game he loses snaps in the Colts offense.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Holy crap, the Patriots juggernaut might be back. I had a feeling I should bench Cedric Benson (it wasn't easy) but I had no idea this was in store.
Also, he threw a pic already (that's inevitable) but it looks like the greatest show on turf might be moving to grass. I got 3 games televised here (Armed Forces Networks sole forte: out of 11 channels 3 are NFL :lol: ) and the Lions Bears game isn't one of them, I just see the stats: over 200 yard for Cutler in the 1st half. It's only the Lions but those WR's are fleet of feet. :shock:
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I often adopt a shitty team in the off-season, much in the same way Brangelina might adopt an orphan from some ghastly shithole. So I spent the last few weeks thinking that the Browns might accomplish something.

But they just got handled by a wretched Tampa Bay team that I had pegged as the worst in pro football. Back to the short bus for the Browns.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I saw the highlight of Julius Peppers laying waste to Matthew Stafford. Stafford's throwing shoulder had 500# fall on top of it and he's done. What happened to left tackles who would do a takedown on a defender and take the penalty rather than getting the QB hurt?
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Trent Edwards. Yup.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

WE WON!!!! WE BEAT THE COLTS!!!!
Soy un perdedor.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Good job.

The Eagles seem to have had a pretty good comeback with Vick, although they threw that all away when they decided to do a shotgun offense on a 4th & 1, then run it up the middle anyways.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

The Spartan wrote:WE WON!!!! WE BEAT THE COLTS!!!!
R-E-S-P-E-C-T baby. Well timed bandwagon!

From the box score it sounds like that Miami game last year where they just ran and ran and ran and never gave the Colts the ball back. Except this time the Colts couldn't pull something out- and there was no fumblerooski like some other late Texans 4th quarter leads.

And, uh, Pete Carroll? 15 more games to play but the Hawks already look infinitely more watchable then the trainwreck the last two years.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I'm so glad to see that Alex Smith has really matured since last year. He only threw two picks (one of which was his fault), but two more of his throws could easily have been intercepted where a Seattle DB dropped the ball. He also left at least two TD's on the field when he missed wide-open throws that would have scored, including one on a fourth-down play early in the game that would've completely changed the complexion of the game. Looks like we're in for another season without the playoffs.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Elfdart wrote:But they just got handled by a wretched Tampa Bay team that I had pegged as the worst in pro football. Back to the short bus for the Browns.
Oh, we won? I wouldn't know, since I can't actually watch it or anything. Fucking blackouts.

Not that I'm surprised we aren't selling out games. I don't really remember the Bad Old Days of the orange jerseys, eithers. But apparently we suck that much now.

Oh well. There's always away games, right?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Well, the Bucs had an ownership committed to spending the money and winning. They even paid up to the Raiders and got Gruden before heading to the Super Bowl.

Then the Glazer Brothers just had to buy Manchester United. Now they're letting the Bucs lie fallow while they try to keep their precious English Soccer club ownership sticker.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED