Nitram in critical care

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Re: Nitram in critical care

Post by Ace Pace »

Allow me to add my voice to those expressing approval at Nitram's improving state. I can imagine few things more wince worthy than what you described, but multiple organ failure is up there.

Next time, try to get to a hospital in a little less spectactular fashion? :wink:
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

SirNitram wrote:One of these two is the most painful experience yet:

Inserting a catherder.

Removing one.

The latter has no pain killers, and it can have gotten stuck.

Guess which!
Havng had that done I know which one hurts. Especially the next day and boy does it burn when peeing.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nit Update:

Nit continues to improve in fits and starts. They have him downstairs rgiht now checking his eyes as one of the doctors saw a 'copper ring' around his iris.

He will have more fluid removed from his abdomen later today, most of it will be tested to see how well the antibiotics are working. One of the Interns tentatively stated Nit may be out in 'a couple days'
If we're home by Friday, I will be amazed.

Otherwise, I am dealing well. I've learned more tricks with my drop spindle and his mother bought me a lucet. In the last twoo hours, I've made a lucet cord about 15in long, learning how to fix my mistakes as I go. Always nice to learn new skills, even if it is simply because yyou're bored with nothing else to do.

Well,that's all for now. More as I find out.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Vertigo1 wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:He is getting better physically, but his mental state is suffering from over-stimulation and too many people around and talking. We're trying to get him a room to hisself, but the hospital is full.
If he can't get a room by himself, get him a cheap 1 or 2GB mp3 player, fill it with some of his favorite bands, and let him have fun with it. At the very least, it'll drown out the background noise, and help him relax.
His sister loaned him her Ipod and her XFM account, so he can get some music.

If ya'll wanna take up a donation for an IPod or something, ask Mike or Ozmandias to coordinate it.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Best of luck to your recovery, Nit! My thoughts are with you and Tev as well.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Hope you're back on your feet soon, Nitram.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Nitram--all my best wishes. Get better soon, man.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Sorry I missed this until now; my best wishes are with you both.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

dragon wrote: Havng had that done I know which one hurts. Especially the next day and boy does it burn when peeing.
Would you :banghead: STOP! talking about catheders already? Everytime I check on Nitram, I try to not read the older posts and still someone has brought it up again. For the sake of mankind can't we have a moratorium on that?
LadyTevar wrote: I've learned more tricks with my drop spindle and his mother bought me a lucet.
Only you... :wink:

Nice to hear Nitram is back on track, now keep him pointed in that direction, will you? Here's to Nitram!
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

LadyTevar wrote:Nit Update:

Nit continues to improve in fits and starts. They have him downstairs rgiht now checking his eyes as one of the doctors saw a 'copper ring' around his iris.

He will have more fluid removed from his abdomen later today, most of it will be tested to see how well the antibiotics are working. One of the Interns tentatively stated Nit may be out in 'a couple days'
If we're home by Friday, I will be amazed.

Otherwise, I am dealing well. I've learned more tricks with my drop spindle and his mother bought me a lucet. In the last twoo hours, I've made a lucet cord about 15in long, learning how to fix my mistakes as I go. Always nice to learn new skills, even if it is simply because yyou're bored with nothing else to do.

Well,that's all for now. More as I find out.
Not to rain water on the parade and all that, but usually, organ failure isn't something that you go home to in less than a week. Even for something that's supposed to be as "simple" as septsis.
Good luck Nit. Remember, we're all crossing our fingers for you.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

PainRack wrote: Not to rain water on the parade and all that, but usually, organ failure isn't something that you go home to in less than a week. Even for something that's supposed to be as "simple" as septsis.
Good luck Nit. Remember, we're all crossing our fingers for you.
Indeed, let alone two organ failures. Not to be scary or anything but at three organ failures, your chances of going home at all drop really low.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

LaCroix wrote:
LadyTevar wrote: I've learned more tricks with my drop spindle and his mother bought me a lucet.
Only you... :wink:

Nice to hear Nitram is back on track, now keep him pointed in that direction, will you? Here's to Nitram!
Hey, what else are you going to do while spending hours at a hospital? it's a valid reason to learn a new skill that gets you awards in the SCA if you do it well enough!
;)

I did a yard-long lucet cord yesterday, and I just wound the 5th ball of yarn. Have to do one more single ply so I can wind it with that one for a double-ply yarn.

Nit's eyes are ok, they were simply testing for signs of Wilson's Disease, where the body can't get rid of copper. He does't have it, as they've tested for that several times before. They did remove 5lbs of liquid from his abdomen last night, so he's feeling a lot less bloated today. The doctors want to do a Muscle Survey, whatever that is, and they are still prodding the Endocrinolost to come see Nitram. The panel of doctors did agree that there is a decent chance that Nit could be going home Friday.

If he does, I'm buying fireworks on the way home to set off in celebration of his freedom. ;)

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Fireworks would be exceptionally appropriate. I'm quite glad to hear that he's out so quickly, and that you've kept productively busy too :)
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

now where's the hadoken strength roman candle?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Aaand Nit's been released from the hospital. The two of them are going home tomorrow.

Partaaaay!
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Sriad wrote:Sorry I missed this until now; my best wishes are with you both.
Indeed.
Nit and I have had our differences, but I wish him nothing but 'Godspeed' and a swift recovery.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Just in time for independance day fireworks.

oh, and I just won a game of Empire Total War, playing as India.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

We're home.

The cause of this, in case I didn't mention it, was a "Spontaneous Bacterial Infection" in the ascites (fluid in abdomen). The infection was somehow keeping fluid from filtering thru his kidneys, which is why they were shutting down, and why the Liver was shutting down. Once the infection started clearing up and they started removing the ascites, the kidneys started functioning normally again and brought the liver back online.

He will be on antibiotics for several weeks, if not longer, to prevent this from re-occurring.

I'm going to bed now.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am glad to hear that he'll be okay and best wishes to both of you.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

All I have to say is regarding Nitram's recovery: Fuck. YES. Glad to hear that the organ failure was averted.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

*Sigh*

:)

That's all I can say.
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative:
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Hooray!
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Well, best wishes to the two of you, and enjoy the fireworks tonight...

I hope sooner or later this can finally be knocked; it must be absolutely horrible to have to keep running back and forth to the hospital for a condition like this.

By the way, my apologies in advance for what follows. I hope the levity helps...

SirNitram wrote:One of these two is the most painful experience yet:

Inserting a catherder.
Of course inserting a cat herder is going to be painful! Do you have any idea what the old catherders went through trying to get their cat herds into Eureka? Especially when they don't want to go and the claws come out... ;)

(I know, just shoot me now...)
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

For those who were wanting a way to send money to cover the expenses or suchlike, I've set up a Paypal account. Feel free to PM and I'll send you the E-mail address.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

So....... how do you feel now Nit? Better?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner