A new day begins (24!) (spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Mr. T wrote:I think I've been watching too long. As soon as Curtis drew his weapon on Bashir (forgot his name) I knew Jack would shoot him.

The bomb going off was a surpise though.

I hope Siddig is featured more througout the season, great actor and character. I agree about not being able to take Kal Penn too seriously, which is unfortunate as I think he's a pretty good actor, just not suited to the show. I half expected him to go "I have come to American to learn the ancient art of muff diving !"
Alexander Siddig.

They're releasing the first four episodes on DVD, erm.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

Jack shooting Curtis was so fucked up. And I totally didn't expect the nuke to go off.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Paging Curtis E LeMay and Dwight Eisenhower, it's time to prove that Massive Retalitation works.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

But who to shoot? Prime target's on the move...
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

MKSheppard wrote:Paging Curtis E LeMay and Dwight Eisenhower, it's time to prove that Massive Retalitation works.
Except when the target is at large on American soil.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
SeeingRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SeeingRed »

Vaporous wrote:Jack shooting Curtis was so fucked up. And I totally didn't expect the nuke to go off.
I personally don't see why it was necessary to kill Curtis. His shoulder was exposed even though he was behind Assad, and presented a clearer target than the middle of his neck. Also, what were all those other agents doing during the standoff? Why couldn't/didn't they attempt to disarm Curtis?

(Of course I'm aware of the obvious answer, 'that Curtis had to die to present a plot twist and a way to break Jack's morale', but let's go inside the 24 microverse for a moment.)
"Though so different in style, two writers have offered us an image for the next millennium: Joyce and Borges. The first designed with words what the second designed with ideas: the original, the one and only World Wide Web. The Real Thing. The rest will remain simply virtual." --Umberto Eco
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

It was pretty clear that Curtis wasn't going to let Assad live. A shot to the shoulder probably wouldn't have dampened his resolve.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

And there was some dumbass on MSNBC saying that the whole nuke thing was right-wing warmongering by Fox. :roll:
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Durandal wrote:Except when the target is at large on American soil.
Those soviet era ADMs need a lot of TLC to keep them running. They've long since gone past their five year or so remanufacture-by date, you can't just buy something that's been sitting in a warehouse since the Soviet Union Fell and then expect it to initate by itself. You have to replace a LOT of the electronics, replace the initator at the center, and probably some other things to get it all done. Somewhere, a country gave the terrorists the fissile material necessary to replace the initator and the technical expertise necessary to overhaul the electronics.

Expect that country to become a smoking hole in the next 48-72 hours if this was reality. :P
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

On the technical expertise part, would it not be possible for all of that to have been from rogues such as Numair? Ditto on the fissile material part, while I'm not sure who the hell Marcus was supposed to be.
I personally don't see why it was necessary to kill Curtis. His shoulder was exposed even though he was behind Assad, and presented a clearer target than the middle of his neck. Also, what were all those other agents doing during the standoff? Why couldn't/didn't they attempt to disarm Curtis?
Apparently as a shot the "kill shot" -- dunno if it actually did it -- was more of a certainty in terms of stopping Curtis involuntarily, or at least preventing him from thinking of trying again before he expired ("bring him to hell with me"). I'm thinking of the possibility that a shoulder shot might've "stopped" Curtis more by the surprise that Jack'd shot him... but why risk it?
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Ghetto edit -- death wasn't confirmed in episode 4, but FOX is calling it.

Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Edward Yee wrote:Ghetto edit -- death wasn't confirmed in episode 4, but FOX is calling it.
Shit I was hoping they might spare him to create a tension working against the goal in a later season like the CTU sniper in Season 1. Mainly cause I liked Curtis and was one of the few people in the show that could be competent in combat with out Jack.

I somehow doubt Jack is going to be sane by the end of this day.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Did you make the corresponding edit on his Wikipedia and 24 Wiki profiles? Because they had (until I myself saw the FOX page) previously listed him as "Unknown."

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Hoping that this don't as necro...

... but while I found Jack's time in the wilderness a bit short, nice surprise involving Graham there...

Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Christ, they are really laying it on this year. The head of the Bluetooth gang was Jack's brother?
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

Anarchist Bunny wrote:Christ, they are really laying it on this year. The head of the Bluetooth gang was Jack's brother?
That's what it looks like...

What a great ending. Bluetooth boy getting his just desserts. =D
Mr. T
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. T »

Anarchist Bunny wrote:Christ, they are really laying it on this year. The head of the Bluetooth gang was Jack's brother?
Although it's kind of soap opera-ish, it makes sense in a way. He's just rebelling against always having had to be the nerd compared to his cooler brother Jack, toss in the fact that Jack appeared to hav been scoring with his wife, and it's chaos :P
"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? "
-Abraham Lincoln

"I pity the fool!"
- The one, the only, Mr. T :)
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Jason von Evil wrote:And there was some dumbass on MSNBC saying that the whole nuke thing was right-wing warmongering by Fox. :roll:
The creator of 24 gave money to Santorum's campaign & supports the use of torture in the 'war on terror', a belief that's certainly out across in the series. It's also undeniable that the complex machinations and incredible resource base of terrorists in the series fit's in with how some of those on the right seem to see the world and Jack's methods of dealing with the threat are pretty much a freepers wet dream, I even recall seeing some neo-con on Bill Maher's show saying he thought Jack Bauer should be in charge of the CIA (or some kind of similar post).
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Zephram Cochrane is Jack's dad. Damn.

Though when Jack's brother said he swore on his family's lives, his expression after just screamed "Oh shit! I shouldn't have given him any ideas."
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

Plekhanov wrote:
Jason von Evil wrote:And there was some dumbass on MSNBC saying that the whole nuke thing was right-wing warmongering by Fox. :roll:
The creator of 24 gave money to Santorum's campaign & supports the use of torture in the 'war on terror', a belief that's certainly out across in the series. It's also undeniable that the complex machinations and incredible resource base of terrorists in the series fit's in with how some of those on the right seem to see the world and Jack's methods of dealing with the threat are pretty much a freepers wet dream, I even recall seeing some neo-con on Bill Maher's show saying he thought Jack Bauer should be in charge of the CIA (or some kind of similar post).
Incidentally, Kiefer Sutherland hates guns and torture.
Sig by JME2
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Jack Bauer wrote:Incidentally, Kiefer Sutherland hates guns and torture.
As much as he hates Christmas trees?
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I knew I had seen Jack's brother's wife before. She is a character in Heroes.
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

JLTucker wrote:I knew I had seen Jack's brother's wife before. She is a character in Heroes.
Yup, she's Nathan Petrelli's disabled wheelchair-confined wife.
Sig by JME2
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

So what is it with Jack and love triangles? First Nina and Terri, now he and his brother with his brother's wife.

And Graham is right, Jack can't just walk into a room and get along can he? :D
Damien Sorresso

- The Onion
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

Who wants to bet that the blonde kid is in fact Jack's son and not Graham's at all. :wink: