Are battleships really obsolete

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I found another interesting link. This one details day to day actions of the battleships during the Gulf War. It also names the British ship that shot down a Silkworm that was fired at the Missouri.

http://www.warships1.com/W-Iowas/index3_BB2_pst11.htm[/quote]
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Raxmei wrote:
RayCav of ASVS wrote:
Raxmei wrote:This discussion reminds me of one over in rec.arts.sf.science about land battleships. The LB advocate claimed that they would be fully self-containd and -sufficient environments, contain mining and refining equipment, shrug off all but direct hits from nuclear weapons, and, if they thought they were losing, could simply flee to the safety of orbit. Needless to say, he needed a lot of handwaving to justify his conclusions.
Of course, no one could dispute that they were cool.
It actually sounds like a Bolo
What's a Bolo?
http://www.sfrevu.com/2001/9835%20Bolo% ... Review.htm

A Bolo is a large tracked nuclear powered land battleship. Earlier ones weigh in the couple of thousands of tons; the latest ones weigh 32,000 tons, are capable of space flight and have total firepower comparable to a medium combat starship. They are typically armed with a Hellbore cannon, the core of which is a slush of hydrogen cooled to nearly absolute zero. This has the effect of not only impacting tremendous kinetic energy, but a bit of a mini-nuclear event as well. Some are armed with multiple cannon. Some have a crew of none, because all Bolos have artificial brains capable of not only complex thought but emotion as well. Most however have small human engineering teams to combat any obsticles. I believe their max speed can range in the hundred of kilometers, and if I'm not mistaken I think the fastest ones are actually some of the heavier ones. At the vary least they can pace a Heavy-class BattleMech.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

These all remind of Steve Jackson's OGRE game.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Ah, those Bolos. The land battleship had a few minor differences. It would have been operated by humans, not an AI. There would have been no electronics, not even lightbulbs. The armament was a large cannon firing nuclear shells. Instead of tracks, it used feet to slowly crawl about the battlefield. The LB spacedrive was just an orion, which is probably less fancy than whatever Bolos use. Yes, this does sound a lot like a low-tech Bolo.

Are Bolos dedicated combat vehicles? The LB was meant to serve as a mining craft as well.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Raxmei wrote:Ah, those Bolos. The land battleship had a few minor differences. It would have been operated by humans, not an AI. There would have been no electronics, not even lightbulbs. The armament was a large cannon firing nuclear shells. Instead of tracks, it used feet to slowly crawl about the battlefield. The LB spacedrive was just an orion, which is probably less fancy than whatever Bolos use. Yes, this does sound a lot like a low-tech Bolo.

Are Bolos dedicated combat vehicles? The LB was meant to serve as a mining craft as well.
Their primary mission is ground combat. In the case of the newest ones, their new secondary mission is space combat. But, IIRC, they do have industrial facilities; I believe their secondary mission is the assistance of the local loyal populace in any form they can lend. In one of the books, one of these behemoths actually ends up getting very emotional towards these people.

BTW, Bolos still have tracks.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

RayCav of ASVS wrote: BTW, Bolos still have tracks.
How do they solve the steering issues that come with tracks that size?
Pendragon
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendragon »

Raxmei wrote:
"We brake for noone, we turn for noone."
"Perfect. It's everything a girl could hope for: Expensive, explosive and phallic."
- Critical Maas
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Uh........ This thing sounds like the dumbest sci-fi military creation since the battlemech. Why the hell would you build a starship with tank treads? Or a giant tank with rockets?
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Soulman
Padawan Learner

Post by Soulman »

IIRC the 16" on the Iowa doesn't fulfill the USMC NGS requirements because it can't fire at targets within a few hundred metres of the marines.

The best (although too expensive) option would be to build a large cruiser with maybe 2 12" guns.
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

Yeah, what's all this crap about Iowas providing fire support to infantry? "Danger Close" is considered to be a few hundred metres from your own troops. An Iowa broadside would stand a good chance of killing the very troops it is supposed to protect, wouldn't it?
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Yeah, what's all this crap about Iowas providing fire support to infantry? "Danger Close" is considered to be a few hundred metres from your own troops. An Iowa broadside would stand a good chance of killing the very troops it is supposed to protect, wouldn't it?
I've never made the arguement that the 16" guns on the IOWA are needed for danger close support. If I worded any arguement to give that idea, it is not what I meant.

That doesnt mean 16" guns cant support infantry though. They support them by killing fixed positions, artillery, sam sites, etc. Look at the link I posted about what the Iowa's did in the Gulf War.

Some Marines in Khafji had to call in danger close rounds on the Iraqi's. I believe those rounds came from friendly artillery. Does anyone know? The 5" guns on the Iowa probably could have done this as well, but again I dont remember.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Raxmei wrote:
The same way an AT-AT steers :D