371 facts. An interesting read

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

"Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite "
Uh, no, there are not peanuts in dynamite. Who fuck comes up with shit like that :wtf:

"No piece of paper can be folded more than 7 times"
Obviously incorrect.

"The are 255 squares on a Scrabble board"
Last time I checked, scrabble was played on a 15x15 board...

"The force of 1 billion people jumping at the same time is equal to 500 tons of TNT"
Force != energy.

"Mosquitoes have 47 teeth"
Mosquitoes don't have any teeth because they don't even have a fucking skeleton.

"It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open (DON'T try this at home!)"
I sneezed with my eyes open today. My eyes fell out :roll:
Also, why shouldn't we try it if it's impossible?

"The fastest growing nail is on the middle finger"
Certainly not my middle finger.

"A duck's quack does not echo and no one knows why"
That's just silly.

Did you know that most of the facts in these kinds of collections are false?
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Boyish-Tigerlilly
Sith Devotee

Post by Boyish-Tigerlilly »

I wonder who actually makes these things. Or maybe, do they just come from random spam generators like the Post Modernism thing?
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Dooey Jo wrote:
"The are 255 squares on a Scrabble board"
Last time I checked, scrabble was played on a 15x15 board...
255 doesn't even have a rational square root.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Dooey Jo wrote:"No piece of paper can be folded more than 7 times"
Obviously incorrect.
If it had said, in half 7 times, then it would be closer to correct. If you take a standard letter size sheet, you get to about fold 5 or 6 before it gets thick enough you can't fold it further. Of course, you can always got monstrously sized sheets *takes roll of paper from a book printer*
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Beowulf wrote:Of course, you can always got monstrously sized sheets *takes roll of paper from a book printer*
Brainiac strikes again. They tried it and proved that no matter what size paper, and no matter how thick or thin, you can only fold it the same amount of times as normal paper.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:
Beowulf wrote:Of course, you can always got monstrously sized sheets *takes roll of paper from a book printer*
Brainiac strikes again. They tried it and proved that no matter what size paper, and no matter how thick or thin, you can only fold it the same amount of times as normal paper.
I just tried it with a standard 8 1/2 x 11 and the 7th time I folded it in half turned out to be nothing but wrinkling the paper.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Blah, Cecil Adams of The Straight Dope already proved it years ago.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Blah, Cecil Adams of The Straight Dope already proved it years ago.
Buried somewhere in their archives, maybe, but this was information downloaded directly into my brain via TV.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Bah, when it was first printed in the newspaper, it was brand new. :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Blah, Cecil Adams of The Straight Dope already proved it years ago.
Also shown years* ago in Disney's Art Attack!. They got this huge piece of paper. My guess is 2x3 meters. Couldn't fold it in half more than 7 times.

*My guess is that I was around 8 or 9. So call it '96 or '97. Exept that I watched it in Spanish, so it is probaby older than that (takes time to tranlate those things).
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

251. When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them in the head
I just like this one.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

The Scrabble one is merely a typo. They probably meant 225, not 255.

As for the peanuts=>dynamite one, I got this explanation: Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite. Peanuts to peanut oil, peanut oil to glycerol, glycerol to nitroglycerin, nitroglycerin to dynamite. This may be outdated, but it would not surprise me if it was true at one point.

Most of these are probably accurate, but who cares? It's not largely useful information anyway. It's more... pop-trivia bullshit that gets confused with actual applicable knowledge.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Mr. T
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. T »

20. Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance
:wtf:
"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? "
-Abraham Lincoln

"I pity the fool!"
- The one, the only, Mr. T :)
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Mr. T wrote:
20. Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance
:wtf:

Not as far from untruth as the others. His mother was in a carriage when she went into labour with him, and I think he was born there as well.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Guys, I hope you were joking about that shit about not being able to fold any paper more than seven times, because I just folded a piece of newspaper eight times, and a piece of tissue paper eight times also. And there's no doubt that if that tissue hadn't been so damn small I could have folded it quite a few times more.

Pick wrote:As for the peanuts=>dynamite one, I got this explanation: Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite. Peanuts to peanut oil, peanut oil to glycerol, glycerol to nitroglycerin, nitroglycerin to dynamite. This may be outdated, but it would not surprise me if it was true at one point.
I highly doubt that. Back in the days, the glycerol for the nitroglycerin mostly came from soap production (just like in Fight Club), which uses mostly animal fats. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the reasoning behind the "fact" actually was "dynamite => nitroglycerin => glycerol => fat/oil => peanut oil = oil => dynamite has peanuts in it"...

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Darth Wong wrote:
General Zod wrote:Didn't mythbusters disprove this?
They did, and then I saw Brainiac put them to shame. Adam and Jamie spent all day trying to get this thing to work; they had a super sound room and computers and shit. You could never actually even hear the duck's echo, they just proved that it did happen with their computers.

On Brainiac they took a duck into a tunnel and you could hear it's echo very clearly.
Wait, people actually felt they had to waste time disproving the idea that a duck can somehow violate the laws of physics?
The show's subtitle is called "science abuse", one of their recurring "experiments" is seeing which things you can't do while being electrocuted and they used to end every episode by blowing up a caravan. The duck echo experiments was one of their more productive ones in comparison.

Suffice to say that just debunking this myth on paper is not part of their MO
:)
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

I remember bringing up the "cats have five toes on each front paw, four toes on each back paw" thing here recently...
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
Also shown years* ago in Disney's Art Attack!. They got this huge piece of paper. My guess is 2x3 meters. Couldn't fold it in half more than 7 times.

*My guess is that I was around 8 or 9. So call it '96 or '97. Exept that I watched it in Spanish, so it is probaby older than that (takes time to tranlate those things).
Disney's? I bet their copy doesn't have Neil Buchanan as in the original show. Still, I always find Brainiac is funnier when they try disproving common misconceptions. The paper they had was about 20 metres by 5 metres, IIRC. And it was toilet roll too, so very thin. On the seventh fold, they were using an industrial motorised compactor to squash the paper as you would newly laid hardcore.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Dooey Jo wrote:Guys, I hope you were joking about that shit about not being able to fold any paper more than seven times, because I just folded a piece of newspaper eight times, and a piece of tissue paper eight times also. And there's no doubt that if that tissue hadn't been so damn small I could have folded it quite a few times more.
It's not just folded. That's obviously false. The requirement is folded in half. Once you've got 7 folds into a standard sized sheet of paper, it's 128 layers thick. Most people can't fold something that's 128 pages thick, and .7 in x 1.1 in long and wide. It's literally almost as thick as it is wide.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Beowulf wrote:It's not just folded. That's obviously false. The requirement is folded in half. Once you've got 7 folds into a standard sized sheet of paper, it's 128 layers thick. Most people can't fold something that's 128 pages thick, and .7 in x 1.1 in long and wide. It's literally almost as thick as it is wide.
I did fold them in half, and the claim was that no piece of paper could be folded [in half] more than seven times. If that can somehow mean that no A4-sized paper can be folded more than seven times, then it is still false since the tissue paper was even smaller than that. Or maybe they meant "it is impossible to fold a paper of a certain size, thickness and fibre density more than a certain number of times", but that's pretty far from what they wrote...

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

23. There are only four words in the English language which end in "-dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous
^This one is also wrong. Off the top of my head there's also "Hideous", "Previous", and "Tremulous".
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

CaptainChewbacca wrote: ^This one is also wrong. Off the top of my head there's also "Hideous", "Previous", and "Tremulous".
You'd have a point, if they actually ended with "-dous", which they don't.
Dooey Jo wrote:
I did fold them in half, and the claim was that no piece of paper could be folded [in half] more than seven times. If that can somehow mean that no A4-sized paper can be folded more than seven times, then it is still false since the tissue paper was even smaller than that. Or maybe they meant "it is impossible to fold a paper of a certain size, thickness and fibre density more than a certain number of times", but that's pretty far from what they wrote...
I'd sure like to see that, because I call bullshit until someone can show it me. It was clearly shown on Brainiac from smaller than A4 size paper to tissue paper the size of a hangar that you cannot fold more than 7 times. I just tried on an A4 sheet and a piece of double-ply bog roll, and neither would fold.
Last edited by Admiral Valdemar on 2006-06-20 01:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
23. There are only four words in the English language which end in "-dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous
^This one is also wrong. Off the top of my head there's also "Hideous", "Previous", and "Tremulous".
Urrm, none of those words you mentioned end in '-dous'
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

This is a reasonably good reference for the validity some of them.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia