Teh T-72 vs. Javelin!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Teh T-72 vs. Javelin!

Post by MKSheppard »

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Heh amuseing as always Sheperd :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

What about the latest Russian Tanks? How do they fare?

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/t90/index.html
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Mr. B wrote:What about the latest Russian Tanks? How do they fare?

A powerful top-attack missile like the Javelin will kill any tank in service. The top armor just isn't tough enough.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Mr. B wrote:What about the latest Russian Tanks? How do they fare?

A T-90 is just a T-72 with the engine and turret of the T-80 :lol:
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Does anyone know how effective ARENA is against Javelin?
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

You can download a video clip where exactly the same thing happens from this URL:
http://home.hiwaay.net/~sickler/opforst ... eVsT72.mpg

:P
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

Ladies and gentlemen conventional armor just died a grisly gurgling death.......I cant think of a single piece of equipment , even the M1A2's, that can stand up to that thing. AND its man portable.....All that talk during the 70's about missiles sounding the death-knell of tanks just came true
BotM
Azeron
Village Idiot

Post by Azeron »

actually a Sherman tank can win against a javailin. It was shipped with a defective detonation fuse and most (90% and up) don't work.

the thing is yes its impressive. but a tank is ther to support the infranty not the other way around. next those things aren;t exactly light and easy to carry around. they esitmate even if wortking, it would aonly account for 3% of the kills on a modern battlefield. A tank fires off 10 rounds a minute and tracks mutlpile target with his team of tanks, using infantry to great advantage. a javalin euqiped infantry is slow, less effective than a heavy armour enable infantry, they don't need to carry heavy weapons, they just need to get the enemey too engaged to use them against the tanks in any useful numbers.
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

Impressive....IMPRESSIVE......thats all, my God man watch the video and look at the pic , that tank dosent even exist anymore and all you can say is IMPRESSIVE!!!.....And as far as the fuse , if you know about it , its already been fixed:-) Tanks supporting Infantry ?, which 20's era military journals have you been reading ? Infantry has always been there to support the ARMOR in a traditional manuver setting, tanks are rather helpless with some ground pounders to guard thoes blind flanks for other infantry. Now in an urban environment then the roles switch. Now , back to Javelin, admittedly the test is using a 20 year old design as a test target , I'd like to see what it would do to a Leopard or a Merkava III, I doubt it would be as spectacular , but still lethal. As it was the T-72(no slouch of a tank in its own right) was ANNIHILATED, rendered into steel confetti, even a hit from a 120mm heat round dosent do that!! Now , every infantry squad in the US Army is a lethal threat to an enemy tank(The Dragon series already gave them teeth, but this this give an Infantry squad fucking FANGS)
BotM
Meghel
Youngling

Post by Meghel »

Hmm, I wonder one thing:

- What was the loadout of the Tank? Was it empty, was it stocked with its normal supply of shells or had somebody (sorry but I am extremely cautious with defense issues) put a boatload of explosives in the tank? 8)

If the tank had its standard Battleground Supply of shells, then it is an impressive sight. :wink:
If it was empty, then it is unbelievable!! :shock:

But how capable is the Javelin against a Moving Target?
Last edited by Meghel on 2002-07-29 10:48am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can join me or die. Now fall to your knees or be shortened the other way...."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Azeron wrote:actually a Sherman tank can win against a javailin. It was shipped with a defective detonation fuse and most (90% and up) don't work.
Source? I'n genuinely curious about this.
Azeron
Village Idiot

Post by Azeron »

I picked it off a military discussion group on LOSAT vs armour vs Javalin. IF I find it again I will throw you a link
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Azeron wrote:actually a Sherman tank can win against a javailin. It was shipped with a defective detonation fuse and most (90% and up) don't work.

the thing is yes its impressive. but a tank is ther to support the infranty not the other way around. next those things aren;t exactly light and easy to carry around. they esitmate even if wortking, it would aonly account for 3% of the kills on a modern battlefield. A tank fires off 10 rounds a minute and tracks mutlpile target with his team of tanks, using infantry to great advantage. a javalin euqiped infantry is slow, less effective than a heavy armour enable infantry, they don't need to carry heavy weapons, they just need to get the enemey too engaged to use them against the tanks in any useful numbers.
Javilin is carried in vehicles, it is not manpacked, as a rule.
Modern forces tend to be all arms, one is not there just to 'facilite the advance of the other' all must work together to be effective, this is a truism in warfare for centuries, see the 73 Arab/Isralie war to see why.