Space Cadets

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

I'm not so sure Moose, these people do appear to be rather fucking stupid, suggestible fools. I was hoping that drama queen on the bridge was going to miss the water though...
"I would, for instance, fellate a smurf before I pick death." Dylan Moran
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

El Moose Monstero wrote:
I bet there'll be someone who'll rumble something - regardless of whether they've weeded out the experts, someone's bound to spot something which isn't quite right. A british airways flight passing over head or a view of space which doesn't look right. The people are pissing me off already, but I think I'll stay with it. It's rather diverting from this air pollution essay I'm supposed to be writing.
Unless they're telepathic or have a telescope, they won't notice the difference between a BA flight and an Aeroflot one. As far as they're concerned, they all use Boeing and Airbus aircraft anyway, and that's the only way to distinguish something at 37,000 ft. As for a view from space, you assume they'll be able to nitpick real space charts. Good luck with that when no one has such knowledge as per the files.

I'm actually wondering how they'll simulate going to space then, if they go that far.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Dorsk 81 wrote:I'm not so sure Moose, these people do appear to be rather fucking stupid, suggestible fools. I was hoping that drama queen on the bridge was going to miss the water though...
Which one? The woman named "Freddie", or the incredibly limp wristed guy?
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

The last bloke who made a huge song and dance about it, didn't catch his name.
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

I loved the last shot after they boarded the plane, the one which catches Johnny Vaughn breathing out and having a quiet smirk about what he knew that they didn't. I don't watch much in the way of reality tv, so I do forget how false people can be at times, the few bits I've caught of Big Brother have reminded me of that, as did the few bits of this where they showed the contestants.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Pezzoni
Jedi Knight

Post by Pezzoni »

What about the whole 'gravity' thing?
I'm assuming they've just chosen exceptionally stupid people...
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Pezzoni wrote:What about the whole 'gravity' thing?
I'm assuming they've just chosen exceptionally stupid people...
I'm thinking the gig is up when they go for a microgravity walk in the shuttle. That's probably when it ends and they find that their spacecraft was simply the most authentic shuttle mock-up built and stuck in the middle of a gas turbine test hangar.
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Nope, seems they've got to be convinced they're in space for them to get the pay off.

Shouldn't it have raised some of their eyebrows, that they're on their way to Russia, yet none of them has a passport? :?

Edit: Oh wait, maybe they do have their passports.
Last edited by Dorsk 81 on 2005-12-08 04:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pezzoni
Jedi Knight

Post by Pezzoni »

Surely the people would realise that they're not weightless immediately after the launch has completed?
Unless, of course, they're severely lacking in basic physics knowledge.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

I thought they were only faking the training for going into space, not the actual launch. There's no need to simulate the conditions of space as long as you aren't trying to pretend you're in space.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Channel4.com wrote:What happens at the end?
That depends on whether Channel 4 pulls it off or not. There is a cash prize. The cadets who finally go on the 'mission' will get £5,000 for every day they spend 'in orbit,' which is every day they spend in the shuttle, so potentially five days equaling £25,000.
Pezzoni
Jedi Knight

Post by Pezzoni »

Nope, they're saying that they're actually sending them into space, hence the choice of gullible / mentally inept people.
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

They've been told that they won't be going high enough to experience weightlessness. So yea, they're really stupid.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Ladies and gentleman I am afraid I have to point something out. The show is hosted by Johnny Vaughan and is therefore incredibly annoying. I want to ask you all a question - what is his accent?
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

And they said stupidity wouldn't make you rich. Damn my teachers in school, if they'd been of the low standard English teachers seem to be i'd be in with a shout for £25 grand. :finger: Fuckers
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

The Guid wrote:Ladies and gentleman I am afraid I have to point something out. The show is hosted by Johnny Vaughan and is therefore incredibly annoying. I want to ask you all a question - what is his accent?
He is a Londoner IIRC.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Well, its a damn bit of fresh air compared to the putrid shit of Big Brother.

I really was horrified when they saw that tank "Look! its a real Tank!"

Well gee! Do ye' think so?! :lol:
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I know, wouldn't it be 'really fun and original' if we gave the producers of this show a 'course in lion taming' and then put them in a cage with some lions on speed, adrenaline and acid. After all, suffering of conned people is funny, isn't it?

It's very easy to mock, and say you'd get it right away, because you're here, you're bound to know a fair bit about manned space-flight, even something as simple as most Russian flights being launched from Kazakstan to the differences in space-craft design. Say you were recruited for the same thing - only you were told you were doing something you have little to no knowledge of, like operating a Russian research submersible. You almost certainly would be conned - and yet, because the 'space cadets' are being hoaxed by something you have comparatively great knowledge of, it's just hilarious to laugh at them being taken in...

Facile shit like this should be banned. Honestly now, manipulating 'the stupid' to believe stupid things and behave in a manner that is simply exploiting them for cheap and sadistic laughs of an audience who are mostly just as ignorant - yeah, real high quality entertainment. Frankly, I hope they figure it out as soon as possible and leave C4 X million pounds out of pocket, resulting in the producers never working in TV again.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
SoX
Padawan Learner

Post by SoX »

Just watched the second show. Got me mad at how dumb people can be, and made me laugh so hard i almost puked.

The bit with the 2 russian guard actors that couldnt keep a straight face when talking about "gorgeous women" and "NO! all the gorgeous women are in russia!".

Then when they told them that they would be put into orbit but not be high enough to experience weightlessness....

Im SURE that the understanding of an orbit is in the GCSE curriculum for Physics. All these people (bar the actors) must have failed GCSE Physics, or be too caught up in the moment to take in what they're hearing. To be honest i just think they're dumb.

Can't wait till they tell em about a constellation "The Hazel Nut Cluster"...
"groovy" - Ash, Evil Dead 2.
"no prizes for guessing 'the colour of the grass on the otherside' or the time on the moon" - Either Nick, Rye or Tony.
"your pills your grass your tits your ass"
" i pitty teh poor foo's that have to suffer Troy's anti-plan field"
"Escaped mental patients make better lovers" - Graffiti near Uni.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

SoX wrote:Im SURE that the understanding of an orbit is in the GCSE curriculum for Physics. All these people (bar the actors) must have failed GCSE Physics, or be too caught up in the moment to take in what they're hearing. To be honest i just think they're dumb.
You can be put into space without experiencing weightlessness. While not in a true orbit, a ballistic trajectory such as those used by ICBMs can have continual accelleration, and thus, no weightlessness. Of course, that's not what they're talking about, but it is not correct to say that travel into space without weightlessness is impossible.

Add to that excitement, and the desire to believe something positive is true, and it's easy to see why people might believe such a lie.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
SoX
Padawan Learner

Post by SoX »

"you will be in orbit but not experience weightlessness"????

Come on!
"no prizes for guessing 'the colour of the grass on the otherside' or the time on the moon" - Either Nick, Rye or Tony.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Possible enough in theory, if the orbit is a generalised one, and the vessel makes course corrections at one G continously, oscilating around the actual orbit. Not that this is what these people will probably be thinking is meant to be going on, but again, you, as a member of this board, know more than most people about space. If you were talking about the problems of a submarine enviroment, you may still have above-average knowledge, but probably not enough to spot the problems in a con of this sort.

Note that they've spoken to the families, and eliminated anyone who has any interest in space.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

I don't think people should dismiss this as reality TV. To me it's pretty much a satire of reality TV. Pretty funny. :)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
SoX
Padawan Learner

Post by SoX »

I find the actors the funniest part of the show, seeing how they try and convince everyone and how they really try to keep straight faces.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

This is a stupid idea for a show. Where do they tell the contestants they're going, and how do they get them there without them figuring out they're merely in bloody Suffolk?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/