[discussion]None of the above

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Knife
Emperor's Hand

[discussion]None of the above

Post by Knife »

Ok, the issue has been brought up before in various threads and I think needs to be addressed, plus god forbid if you bring it up without an appropriate [discussion] thread or some get all bent out of shape. The powers that be have been saying if you don't like either (or all) vote abstain and if you can't make up your mind, abstain. Which is what I've been doing when I encounter the problem in a vote. Now it seems, abstaining a vote is not counted, which if you can't decide between two and just wish to be 'present' on a vote is ok.

However, if you really mean I don't want any, it would seem that there is no way that point of view can win and thus the vote is wasted in an abstain. Especially with another body bringing nominations to the floor, should there not be a 'none of the above' vote which carries the same weight as a vote of a candidate? If none of the above wins, should not all candidates lose?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Re: [discussion]None of the above

Post by Mad »

Knife wrote:If none of the above wins, should not all candidates lose?
Yes.

The rationale for not having a "none" option is:
CmdrWilkens wrote:I think the "none" option is too easy to chose without any reflection.
A "none" option might be "too easy," but the Senate should be considered responsible enough to make that decision because "none" can most definitely be a legitimate vote. The Senate should be encouraged to use "abstain" more often and Senators should not feel pressured to pick an option he or she is not informed about yet.
Later...
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

we're the frakking senate we should have a thumbs down option/

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I will admit that in the past "none" has been an option and this was more a mistake on my part just not one that I paticularly regret.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

It is entirely possible that upon careful reflection, regardless of the size of the pool of senatorial nominees, a sitting senator may decide that none are adequately qualified. I see no reason why a "No" option should not be included for such a circumstance.

Please note that I'm speaking with an eye toward precedent and general practice; I don't mean for this to be a statement on the current list of candidates.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

I wouldn't expect to use it, but I can see where a "none" option would help some people, and it wouldn't hurt to have it for completeness.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Noble Ire wrote:It is entirely possible that upon careful reflection, regardless of the size of the pool of senatorial nominees, a sitting senator may decide that none are adequately qualified. I see no reason why a "No" option should not be included for such a circumstance.

Please note that I'm speaking with an eye toward precedent and general practice; I don't mean for this to be a statement on the current list of candidates.
I've encounted both situations. There are times when two candidates were worthy and I couldn't make a definate choice between the two, so abstain was a good choice for me. In most of those instances, the nominee's were brought up again so it was of little concern. There are also times where I don't want any of the nominee's and as such voting 'abstain' and not having that count is a waste of my vote.

Now the current vote, one can assume a lot of those 'abstains' are a vote for none of them as some Senator's have come out and said they don't want any new Senator's this round. This view point seems to be forbidden with the current rules.

I move that we add this provision in the rules, that a vote thread with nominations to the Senate include both an 'abstain' and a 'none of the above' where abstain retains it's neutral or zero vote count nature, but none of the above is counted as a choice and if wins a majority of votes, no one wins and the floor is open to new nominations, even the same nominations as before.

Do I get a second?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I have always understood (and used) Abstain merely to mark presence for a vote and thus contribute to quorum without actually participating in the vote itself. So I second the motion.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I want to clarify my remarks becuase I'm not sure if my position has been entirely evident:

1) I do think folks use "none" too automatically

HOWEVER

2) Not including it was an error on my part, we have had "none of the above" on prior ascension polls and we will have them in the future.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The motion was made and seconded. I call for an Executor to put forth a vote on the floor to add these rules to the Senate. Especially in light of the current nomination thread/vote's conclusion.