Senate Problems and Solutions

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Hotfoot

Senate Problems and Solutions

Post by Hotfoot »

At the behest of Rob Wilson, I am creating this thread as a repository for any criticisms or suggestions for the current way things are being handled in the Senate. Be honest and frank, if there's something that bothers you in the Senate setup by existence or omission, please make it known here.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Its something that I've said probably half a dozen times since the Whip was created, and possibly more, but anyone who wants to conduct serious business in the Senate should read the rules. I know there are quite a few folks who think the system now (and even before I got on a bureacracy streak) is overburdened with rules and too formal for the level of import the forum really has. I can only respond that it may be a sandbox but it still has rules posted for how we play in the sandbox, I'm personally nearly OCD about rules and organization so this is sort of my baby. I think the way things are setup make sense and they serve a real purpose within the administration and oversight of the board. If you disagree then lets propose a different way of doing it, in the meantime read the rules and follow them because it ain't that hard.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Does anyone have any suggestions for rules that should be taken out? Looking over them, most of the text seems to be nomination and vote procedures. I'm not too sure what you could clip out.
:D
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The rules are fine, as long as they're being followed.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Updating the rules should be continuous on approval of the changes, however, something that has been definitely lacking in the past. Also, clarifying text should be added as necessary, possibly without a vote. Some sections were downright ambiguous. For instance, the statement that only Governors and other higher-ups could create "important vote threads" left about a dozen different opinions on what an "important vote thread" constituted. That's been resolved now, but other language should be vetted in the future to prevent ambiguities.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.