No punishment
9%
Abstain
9%

Total votes: 46

seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

I can't go along with the palm-fucker title. I voted sig/avatar revocation.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I think Supes is, at heart, probably a decent guy with a bit too imbalanced a look to leap ratio from time to time. I'm going to go with sig + avatar. I would actually prefer something corrective rather than punitive, but we can't have everything.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I was leaning towards WTPF, but Lagomonster and Seanrobertson are right. Av/sig removal.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stuart Mackey wrote:Voted WTPF, but would also have included Sig and Avatar vevocation as well, given the choice.
Voted, seconded

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Civic duty complete.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Andy, Andy, Andy....

bad redneck cop/prison guard ex wrestler....

(sig and avatar)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Nahh, let him be
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If it were up to me, I would have booted his ass out of here entirely. Alas, that was not an option on the list.

It's outright bigotry to feel justified at attacking someone else for what are harmless differences from yourself*, and it's fucking sick to find it funny. I don't like to associate with that sort of pustulent thug, and calling him pond scum would be an insult to the pond scum. When I see/hear of/read about shit like that I have these evil urges to beat senseless that sort of vile walking pieces of shit so they can't do it again and hurt someone else -- but since I have ethics and morals I force myself to take the high ground and refrain. Because I know that it's just fucking wrong to attack someone who has offered you no physical threat.

Yeah, I was really fucking offended. Which is usually pretty hard to do.

* Just for the record - I find the rap genre largely repulsive and whiggers just fucking stupid. Nonetheless, I also understand that in a crowded and supposedly civilized world we must cultivate a certain tolerance for others and their differences, lest we dissolve into anarchy.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Why is WTPF the only title choice?

Edit: and if someone is wondering why I ask, I notice that some of the people who opt for NOT voting WTPF do think a punishment is justified, but seem to choose "removal of sig/avatar priveleges" because that's the only possible punishment. Parrticularily since several people did advocate a custom title.

Superman did break the forum rules, and he should really know better by now. I don't pay attention to his posting enough to know whether he actually contributes or is worthless, but it didnt look like trolling (at least in that case. However, I dislike that I'm presented with an "either/or" punishment, which is kinda keeping me from voting.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Under the current voting rules, a specific punishment must have a majority to pass. I declined to offer more than two options because it was liable to dilute the vote and therefore increase the possibility that he was acquitted on the technicality of no single punishment being able to muster enough votes.

I am a strong advocate of modifying the rules so that there's an initial thread on whether or not the person in question is guilty of the offence, followed by a second thread in which a punishment is selected if they're convicted. Unfortunately, the rules of the Senate do not allow this at current, so I went for what I thought was a reasonable range of options while at the same time not watering down the vote with an unnecessary degree of choices. The universal opinion is that Superman ought be punished; at least this way some form of punishment is guaranteed.

For the record the avatar and sig privilages would be removed, under the current proposal, for not less than six months.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

For the record I think Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker is appropriate, as a troll is fundamentally an attention-seeker, and there's nothing more attention-seeking in behaviour than posting lurid records of your "xploits" on the internet and expecting praise for it.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:For the record I think Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker is appropriate, as a troll is fundamentally an attention-seeker, and there's nothing more attention-seeking in behaviour than posting lurid records of your "xploits" on the internet and expecting praise for it.
If we went by the definition of a "chronic attention seeker" there are more than a few people I can think of (and probably have mentioned in the past, like Shep.) who would also qualify. Its not his first time and I admitted he should know better, I still question whether WTPF applies. I concede you have a good reason for NOT going for more than two options (but then again we generally have at elast 3-4 options by default so that possibility always remains.) and so far there isn't a clear majority.

It might have been better to make an option "custom title" rather than a specific title, although i suppose that's a moot point now (but something to keep in mind for the future.)
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

All we need is 50% to convict on a non-bannable offense, and I'm sure a few people are irked enough over this behaviour to engage in tactical re-voting to guarantee it, which appears to be legal by custom in our illustrious Senate.

Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Voted.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Voted.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Abstain.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I voted for WTPF, but I think that whatever punishment we use should be limited in time-frame (maybe 6 months or a year). I'd also be happy with sig and avatar work done.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Voted.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Sig+avatar
JADAFETWA
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

I have some new information. A board member has made it known to me (and I double-checked and confirmed it) that Superman's current sig pic is in fact illegally large beyond the existing rule limits for the size of sig pics.

Because of this additional violation, taking it into account, does anyone hold an objection to making the sig and avatar revocation permanent rather than temporary?

InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: Because of this additional violation, taking it into account, does anyone hold an objection to making the sig and avatar revocation permanent rather than temporary?
It seems needlessly vindictive to me.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

It's a violation of board policy, however, see YUP #2:
Sigs are to be limited in size. As a general rule, your sig should not be much taller than mine, and should not contain any images which are larger than 500x100 pixels or bigger than 75 kB. As with avatars, they are subject to the approval of the staff. If the staff feels that your sig is too big, too offensive, or too annoying, you will be asked to change it. The rules for a sig are stricter than the rules for a normal post because a sig will appear on every one of your posts, both new and old.
Though "Your User Profile" mandates are not explicitly stated as rules, they are nonetheless in the Official Board Policy section, and the sig rules are stated as being the most strict in this section of the document. I don't know if we could bring up a second punishment thread for a YUP--there doesn't seem to be any precedent in the matter--but the policy provides for summary staff directives to users over violations, anyway. I would consider it therefore to be within very legitimate grounds for the staff to extend Superman's loss of sig and av privilages (which seems a given the way the vote is going) indefinitely as a punishment for this additional offence.

Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

If we're going by official policy, has anyone asked him to change it?
:D
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Spyder wrote:If we're going by official policy, has anyone asked him to change it?
I am not aware of the answer to that question. I suppose it's reasonable to make further sanction dependant on whether or not a warning is confirmed to have been rendered by one of our esteemed Governors.

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

I would say let him have his avatar back after the usual term of punishment but double the time that he loses his sig privileges in this case.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)