Resolution: Removing an Eyesore of a Smilie

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Resolution: Removing an Eyesore of a Smilie

Post by Duckie »

:kill: .

To not mince words: this smilie is bloody annoying, and nobody save Einhander and annoying newbies who cannot spell right and attach :twisted: to things that do not deserve either utilize it. Right next to :finger: and :twisted: itself it has to be the most abused, ugly and annoying smilie on the board. :twisted: gets off the hook from this because it has legitimate uses. :kill: does not.

Discuss the idea of removing smilies. Or don't. I don't mind.

Also, I think we should have Strikethrough.
Also, Carthage must be Destroyed.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: Resolution: Removing an Eyesore of a Smilie

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What the hell is strikethrough? I never got what it was even though everyone and their mommies are ranting about it.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Discuss the idea of removing smilies. Or don't. I don't mind.
:finger: :kill: :wanker:

These are the ones I'd get rid of. All the others add something to a sentiment, these are just spam, and I don't recall them ever getting used in a post worth reading.
What the hell is strikethrough?
A horizontal line halfway through text.
---
Ceterum censeo strikethrough esse adoptandum
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I actually find the :kill: smiley useful. It indicates to me that the post in which it is contained is not worth reading, saving me valuable time.

Seriously, though, I'm all for dumping the fucking thing.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Ah. Strikethrough doesn't seem so important, but it is pretty cool. It can help me pull Pokeyisms, and I can't help but wonder what STRAK will do with it. :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Bounty wrote:Ceterum censeo strikethrough esse adoptandum
Why do you have to rape Cato? :finger: :kill:

:lol:
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Thanas wrote:
Bounty wrote:Ceterum censeo strikethrough esse adoptandum
Why do you have to rape Cato? :finger: :kill:

:lol:
I messed up the gerundive, didn't I? I'm not even sure adoptare is a word...
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Ah. Strikethrough doesn't seem so important, but it is pretty cool. It can help me pull Pokeyisms, and I can't help but wonder what STRAK will do with it. :lol:
Strikethrough has some pretty awesome comedic value potential.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Why not just restrict the usage of the smiley. AS in "if you can't make a post without using that smiley to carry the majority of your argument, you shouldn't be using it."
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Why not just restrict the usage of the smiley. AS in "if you can't make a post without using that smiley to carry the majority of your argument, you shouldn't be using it."
If people still feel the need to use that smiley, they can always host it themselves and embed it as an image. Having it in the editing form just makes it all that more alluring to use for people who otherwise have nothing of interest to say.

When were those added anyway? I seem to recall them being recent - were they automatically added during the upgrade?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Bounty wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:Why not just restrict the usage of the smiley. AS in "if you can't make a post without using that smiley to carry the majority of your argument, you shouldn't be using it."
If people still feel the need to use that smiley, they can always host it themselves and embed it as an image. Having it in the editing form just makes it all that more alluring to use for people who otherwise have nothing of interest to say.

When were those added anyway? I seem to recall them being recent - were they automatically added during the upgrade?
Mike added them for flavor, and the standing rule is more then a couple, mods can edit your post to limit said smilies.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I believe some time ago Mike opened the floor to adding/removing smilies. Real life intervened, but there was certainly some support for the idea of introducing some icons and removing others; the idea shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. As Bounty says, he had to bork around with the icons with the upgrade (as the new ones didn't work with some of the themes or ... something).
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I'm all for dumping that particular emote.

And yes, we need strikethrough.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

I disagree with Bounty's idea of removing the wanker smiley. I remember many a time I was in a debate on SB and thought "damn I wish this forum had a wanker smiley". It's a nice blunt way of expressing the fact that something is, well, wanky.

As far as the cannon smiley goes I don't really have an opinion, I've used it on occassion but we already have an angry smiley so it's basically redundant. And it does lend itself rather naturally to obnoxious noob posturing.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I've got some nice smilies I got from Librium Arcana and Pick's board; they are fun and useful precisely because I try not to use them much. The cannon smilie is, indeed, annoying but if people want it, they can store it & host it as I do.

The :finger: :wanker: smiles don't bother me so much, maybe I'm just in the wrong forums but I only seem to run across them when they are being used seriously (except for Elfdart's infatuation with the "wanker" whenever he's debating with anybody slightly to the right of Karl Marx, heheh). The "finger" smilie can help clarify that no, you're not being sarcastic, you are really PO'd. The angry devil, though ( :evil: ) can also be used for that.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I certainly find the jerk-off and finger smiley useful. The "kill" smiley is really just too big and clunky to be aesthetically useful.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Junghalli wrote:I disagree with Bounty's idea of removing the wanker smiley. I remember many a time I was in a debate on SB and thought "damn I wish this forum had a wanker smiley". It's a nice blunt way of expressing the fact that something is, well, wanky.
I agree with this. I've had similar experiences.

I also feel that we should keep the finger smiley, as it is good for communicating anger or contempt. Yes, it should be used rarely, but it has a use.

Actually, I'm fine with the current selection of smileys, and honestly find them to be better than those of any other board on which I post (though their are ones I hardly ever use personally).
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I move that we put both the removal of the offending emote and the addition of strikethrough to a vote.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

The finger smiley is really ugly and ineffectual, in my opinion. It's exactly the sort of smiley and sentiment that Image was intended to lampoon.

Which is why it slightly amused and saddened me when at least one person in the "suggest new smilies" thread thought that people should use Image as a serious "i am angry" emoticon. Really? That said I'd still love to see Image added as a real emoticon, along with Image.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Yeah, that fist-shaking angry smilie isn't really serious, to me at least. It's like the flag of NERD WAR! being raised: "Curse you and your supposed Klingon-speaking superiority! Serious science fiction aficionados speak Huttese, not that bourgeois claptrap!" Heh.

The one I never feel comfortable using is this one: :x

It looks like he just needs more fiber in his diet.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I have a crazy idea... if you don't like a smiley... now see if you can follow this... don't use it in your posts.
If a smiley offends you THAT much to look at, then maybe, just maybe, you should just not be on the internet, because really, if a canon firing or jerking off smiley is too much for your sensitive little eyes to handle, the internet may not be the place for you. Or you could realize that not everyone likes the same thing and move on.

And seriously, there is a specific rule that says DON'T USE TOO MANY SMILEYS, which GR noted already, and AFAIK, it is adhered to pretty well.

Why is this an issue?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

havokeff wrote:I have a crazy idea... if you don't like a smiley... now see if you can follow this... don't use it in your posts.
If a smiley offends you THAT much to look at, then maybe, just maybe, you should just not be on the internet, because really, if a canon firing or jerking off smiley is too much for your sensitive little eyes to handle, the internet may not be the place for you. Or you could realize that not everyone likes the same thing and move on.

And seriously, there is a specific rule that says DON'T USE TOO MANY SMILEYS, which GR noted already, and AFAIK, it is adhered to pretty well.

Why is this an issue?
There's an even simpler idea that makes this thread wholly unneeded. If you don't like smileys you can turn off the ability to display them as images in your profile. So all you'll see is smiley text.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

If you use adblock, you can add that image to the block list. Just right click on it and select "Adblock Image..." at the bottom of the list.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

man we better not do anything to change this board. we can adblock things we don't want, and use greasemonkey scrips to enable strikethrough for all people with the same script, or the like.

also, fact: noob posturing always uses kill in more than one, so you never see a lone gunman.
:kill:
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

MRDOD wrote:man we better not do anything to change this board. we can adblock things we don't want, and use greasemonkey scrips to enable strikethrough for all people with the same script, or the like.

also, fact: noob posturing always uses kill in more than one, so you never see a lone gunman.
Who said anything about scripts? (A lame suggestion anyway). There's already a board feature in the user control panel to disable smileys as images entirely.