Winter War Quote

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Winter War Quote

Post by spaceviking »

This has been bugging me for a few days... Does anyone know who said "and what do you do when the eleventh man comes" (possible paraphrase) in response to a Finnish General saying that 1 Finnish solider is worth 10 Russians. I googled it but couldn't find anything.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Winter War Quote

Post by K. A. Pital »

That's a winter war anecdote allegedly re-told by the Finns on the war frontlines themselves. It was put to paper in Väinö Linna's war novel "Unknown Soldier" as a dialogue between two soldiers.
Unknown Soldier wrote:- Mutta suomen sotilas vastaa kymment:a ryss:a:a.
- Mhiin... Kyll:a kai. Mutta mit:as sitten tehd:a:an, kun tulee se yhdestoista?
Unknown Soldier wrote:- But a Finnish soldier costs ten Russians.
- Hm... yeah. But what to do when the eleventh comes?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

It sounds suspiciously like what happened when a town told Caesar they could hold out for ten years. He said something like "Fine, we'll take it in eleven."
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Stas Bush wrote:That's a winter war anecdote allegedly re-told by the Finns on the war frontlines themselves. It was put to paper in Väinö Linna's war novel "Unknown Soldier" as a dialogue between two soldiers.
Unknown Soldier wrote:- Mutta suomen sotilas vastaa kymmentä ryssää.
- Mhiin... Kyllä kai. Mutta mitäs sitten tehdään, kun tulee se yhdestoista?
Unknown Soldier wrote:- But a Finnish soldier is worth ten Ruskies.
- Hm... yeah. But what to do when the eleventh comes?
Fixed the spelling and the translation.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Fixed the spelling and the translation.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Elfdart wrote:It sounds suspiciously like what happened when a town told Caesar they could hold out for ten years. He said something like "Fine, we'll take it in eleven."
I am not sure Caesar said that, but if he did, it did not really originate with him. AFAIK, that saying has been around since the republic. I think it originated either from Marius or Sulla.

Do you have a direct source for it? I would love to know it myself.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Thanas wrote:
Elfdart wrote:It sounds suspiciously like what happened when a town told Caesar they could hold out for ten years. He said something like "Fine, we'll take it in eleven."
I am not sure Caesar said that, but if he did, it did not really originate with him. AFAIK, that saying has been around since the republic. I think it originated either from Marius or Sulla.

Do you have a direct source for it? I would love to know it myself.
I'm not sure it was Caesar, but I'm pretty sure it was some Roman leader who said it. Where and when I have no idea.